Chapter V: Innocence in Disguise

Spring's Melody

The next day Mah Yi’s father left really early on his business trip that would last a total of one month. He left before she woke up and on that day it was Mah Yi’s birthday so that upset her when she woke up to find out her father was gone. All he left her was a note that said “Happy Birthday, sweetie. I love you.” Nothing else. She decided to not fret about it and to just put her upset feelings aside and go on with the party for her birthday tonight that she had planned for a week now. 

Everyone was invited, and before long, all the cleaning, setting up, and getting ready actions made the time fly by so fast that she didn’t realize that the party had started and she was still in her room, awaiting to be formally announced so that she could join her guests and start the party, getting ready and prettying herself up so that she would look beautiful in that nice pink gown that she was wearing as her birthday outfit.

Pretty soon, the wait was over and she walked out of her room, finished and completely prettied up, and down the stairs that lead to the main room which her guests were at. On the way down, she tripped and lost balance, but before even having the chance to fall down, someone caught her. “Ni hao ma, Xiaojie?” Asked the person. It was a male’s voice and she only tilted her cranium to the side to look at who it was. She didn’t recognize him but he looked to be about her age. “I’m Yang Jeh Yhi, one of the waiters for this Birthday party.” He said before straightening out his and her own form and setting her down properly so that she would not fall again--or so he hoped. “You really should be more careful.” He kept going after having seen her not replying to him since she was too busy gawking at him in surprise.

Soon, she snapped out of it before he noticed and finally replied. “Oh! I will…” Her reply was too late though because he had already left which caused her to be a bit disappointed but she brushed off that feeling and continued on to joining her guests. 

Meanwhile, Mah Yi’s father was in a plane, 10,000 feet up in the air, flying overseas for a business trip. Unfortunate for him, the plane’s engine had a glitch and it failed to work for the entire ride there so it slowly began to fall lower and lower towards the ground until it crashed, killing all passengers, including him. What was the cause of the engine’s glitch that killed all those passengers? It was none rather then a cord that was cut off when no one was paying attention to the plane while it was on the ground, positioned and located on the parking lot of a nearby airport to Mah Yi‘s house. That someone that had cut off that important cord which caused the accident was Lin Pi Dah, the one male that Mah Yi‘s father trusted the most; the one male that Mah Yi‘s father wanted Mah Yi to marry. He did it without a care in the world for anyone but himself, choosing to sweet Mah Yi off her feet when the time comes and try to marry her all so he could steal their money and Mah Yi‘s place a leader of the company. 

No one at Mah Yi’s Birthday party heard about the crash until after the party where everyone but Mah Yi was informed. They kept it a secret from Mah Yi in order not to cause her pain nor stress and in the meantime, Pi Dah kept hanging around Mah Yi more and more, attempting to get closer and closer to her. It was one thing that they knew each other since childhood and she already trusted him, just like she trusted Jiang, but another to actually win over her love which he hadn’t done still. Sure, she loved him, but only as a brother and he wanted more and even though he loved her and was trying hard to make her love him, he loved her for all the wrong reasons. 

Three days past with Mah Yi not knowing a word of her father’s death until she was out with Jiang on a walk, her hand locked around his while they walked together, and was stopped suddenly in the middle of the street, her head tilted up towards the big television screen on the other side of that street, where the news announced what happened three days ago and how her father died. They were in Downtown and every Downtown in Asia had televisions somewhere on the street. Anyways, the news sent her into shock which caused her to faint right there and then, making Jiang call up the ambulance which rushed there and picked them up, having Mah Yi be rushed to the hospital. On the way there, she had developed a high fever from the shock too and Jiang was holding her hand and singing to her while she was out cold. 

When they arrived in the hospital, Jiang registered her in one of the rooms, staying with her there for the rest of the day, through the night, the next day, another night, and the day after that. She still didn’t wake up which meant she was in a coma for now as Jiang kept holding onto her hand the entire time, not counting when he left for restroom needs, food, and drinks, returning each time with two bottles of ginseng tea and two plates of food, in hopes of having Mah Yi wake up and eat--she didn’t. Mah Yi slept through another set of three days and nights, finally waking up after a total of six days of being out cold. The doctors said it was a minor coma but that she was free to be released from the hospital and go home. Her eyes were red due to having cried throughout the entire time that she was in that ‘coma’ and they burned as she weakly changed from the hospital clothes to her regular ones and allowed Jiang to take her home.