Chapter 1

Save The Best For Last
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been a year since Wonwoo started his clinics and it’s coming to an end. It was a really tough year for him. His friends were all grouped in the same posting. He was stuck with a group of people that he barely knew - Mingyu, Jihoon and Soonyoung. Mingyu is the boy wonder. Jihoon and Soonyoung, from the background check by his friends, are known as “the” couple.They’re his groupmates for the whole year. Sleepless nights in the hospital flooded with work, and a lot of all nighters due to group or dyad case presentations that sometimes get changed 8 hours before the presentation itself and they have to rush to the hospital to interview patients.

Throughout the year, he was mostly stuck with Mingyu. Jihoon claimed dibs on being Soonyoung’s partner since day 1 and being the really quiet person that he is, Wonwoo didn’t  oppose. All he could think of is just get over this year and he’s done with clinics. Mingyu wasn’t a bad partner. Monitoring, wound care, assist during procedures, and case presentations. You name it he’s very reliable and really smart in everything. Heck, he’s running for class valedictorian. Sometimes Wonwoo would just catch himself staring at Mingyu and wonders how can someone be perfect and his heart hurts a little that he can’t be this star student for his parents.

 

 

“Why are you so quiet?” Mingyu asks as they both head to the cafeteria for lunch.

Wonwoo looks at him like he’s a stranger. He and his friends planned that they’re going to have lunch together but here’s Mingyu following him. “Nothing.”

Wonwoo walks up to the counter and grabs a sandwich and juice. Mingyu still trailing behind with his food, Wonwoo picks a spot outside under the trees and saves the bench for him and his friends.

“You know, Wonwoo, for the whole year that we’ve been partners you’ve been awfully quiet most of the time unless you’re with your friends.” Mingyu sits down beside Wonwoo as if there’s no other spot left in the bench.

It’s because you cling to me like hell, Wonwoo tells himself. He shrugs at Mingyu

“Wonwoo!” Minghao, Jeonghan and Seungkwan calls him. They’re all prepared for lunch with a lunch bag. They place down their bags in the table.

“Can you excuse us?” his friends ask Mingyu who’s busy munching down his sandwich.

“Go ahead.”

They all pull Wonwoo near the dumpster, far from Mingyu.

Jeonghan’s eyes become serious, “Explain to us why he’s with you. It’s our group lunch today.”

“I don’t know. I didn’t invite him.” Wonwoo glances at Mingyu and made eye contact. It made him wince like there’s something just stabbed him.

Seungkwan hits his arm. “You do know that the three of us likes him. Are you finally going to help us?”

“I know you like the guy because he’s running for class valedictorian, with good looks, and can do mostly everything.” Wonwoo exhales. “But no, I’m not helping you guys. You’re all in a relationship, and you’re crushing so hard on someone. Isn’t that a little too unfair to your boyfriends?”

“Is the rumor true though?” Minghao’s getting worked up. They’re all ignoring Wonwoo’s question.

Jeonghan looks like he saw a train coming and Seungkwan’s pinching Minghao’s sides because he’s too careless.

“What rumo-“

“Come on let’s eat.” Jeonghan pulls Wonwoo’s arm back to the bench.

His friends look like hawks. They’re all seated across them and could actually just pass lunch by staring at Mingyu who’s not minding them doing that and is even having friendly conversations.  MIngyu’s been friendly with them since second posting, meeting them through multiple disciplinary managements. Wonwoo can’t even finish his lunch. He lost his appetite.

 

 

Another meeting at the 24-hour fast food place outside the dorms because of a case presentation and Mingyu’s been really nice to actually give him tutoring sessions for ophthalmology - his memory is too sharp and recalled that Wonwoo’s been having a hard time with ophthalmology since last year.

“Mingyu, I’m really sorry we’re staying late. We can skip tutoring. You really don’t have to tutor me.” Wonwoo gives an excuse just so he can get away. It makes him uneasy that Minghao’s saying something about a rumor last week and he’s stuck with him for 72 hours a week, minimum.

Mingyu takes a sip of his iced coffee like it’s morning. “I’m fine tutoring and it’s review for me too. I don’t want you to actually take over the number 1 spot, just number 2.” Mingyu tried to make it sound like it’s a joke but Wonwoo’s just staring at him like there

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter