Don For Short

Of Sailing, Romance, and Punching Monsters

Life had become beautiful. Wherever he looked, everything seemed more vibrant. The colours around him were alive, speaking to him.

Ever since Youngjae had officially become his boyfriend, life had turned so amazingly wonderful.

It had been seven days and Daehyun had been smiling ever since.

“Seriously. How can you look so happy this early in the morning?” Youngjae, his lovely buttercup, huffed. “It's disgusting.”

“Waking up next to you, my sweet, how can I not smile?” Daehyun pulled the smaller man closer, kissed one of the round cheeks. He felt it heat up under his lips and he had to hold back a squeal as he saw how flushed Youngjae became. Utterly adorable.

“Yeah well,” Youngjae grumbled and pushed Daehyun away, eyes looking everywhere except at him. “Time to get to your duties.”

True. Daehyun sighed and carefully got out of the hammock. “Sleep a little more, my angel. I will make sure the cook leaves a little food for you.” There had been a terrible storm last night, the rocking had seemed to keep Youngjae awake.

“Thanks.” The voice was full of relief and gratitude. For a moment it seemed as Youngjae was conflicted and Daehyun remained still, wondering what his boyfriend was thinking of. “I-“ Youngjae looked away briefly, then grabbed Daehyun by the shoulders. Then, sweet, soft lips were upon his and Daehyun for a moment thought he would pass out, but he remained on his feet.

It had been brief, almost non-existent, and Youngjae had quickly buried himself under the blanket with his back turned, yet Daehyun could not move for minutes.

A smile, which stretched so wide it almost hurt, erupted on his face and he nearly skipped as he walked to go do his daily duties.

-

Hours later a grumpy and tired looking Youngjae appeared on deck, wearing his fluffy sweater and the skirt he never went without.

“Have you ever seen someone so beautiful before?” Daehyun sighed dreamily, eyes trained upon his gorgeous boyfriend.

“He looks tired,” Junhong said.

“Don't be jealous, Junhong. I’m sure you'll find someone one day too, but that person won't be as beautiful as my sweet Youngjae though,” Daehyun patted his friend on the shoulder.

“I'm-“

But Daehyun didn’t have time to hear whatever Junhong would say and instead ran over to Youngjae, pulling him into a warm hug. “Good morning, my prince. Did you eat?”

“Yeah.”

“Good,” Daehyun rubbed his cheek against Youngjae's revelling in the softness.

“Drop the anchor!”

The demand from the captain startled Daehyun, but he listened and minutes later their ship stood still upon the endless sea.

“Let's all take a break,” the Captain said. “Time for afternoon tea.”

It was an important part of their day.

Beside him stood a confused Youngjae, unmoving even as everyone were heading below deck.

“You know,” Youngjae started, garnering Daehyun's full attention. “We're in the middle of the ocean. And that anchor is not that long. How the ?”

“That is just how it is, and always have been.”

But Youngjae had already moved away, eyes on the sea below them. Then without a word he pulled off his sweater and threw it on deck, and reached under his skirt. Daehyun's cheeks reddened as were pulled off and dropped; he would never understand Youngjae's insistent on wearing , but he definitely did not complain as they revealed more than briefs did.

A splash pulled him out of his thoughts and he ran over to where Youngjae had jumped, only seeing ripples in the strangely still water. Minutes went by, no one on deck except them.

Twenty minutes went by before Youngjae resurfaced, wonder in his eyes. “That anchor is actually all the way down to the ocean floor? How?”

“I told you, that is how it is.” Such a weird thing to question. An anchor's purpose is to stick to the ocean floor, so why wouldn't it?

Yet Youngjae just seemed more confused. “It's not normal,” he countered and grabbed the ladder on the side. “Uh, I can't climb up. Not with my fin.”

Oh. That was a problem. And sadly, Youngjae in his siren form was too heavy for him to carry alone. “I'll ask Jongup for help just-“ Daehyun's eyes widened. Out of nowhere the biggest shark he had ever seen appeared and swallowed Youngjae whole.

Daehyun screamed.

“What's going on, lad?” the Captain had rushed up on deck, the crew following closely. “Your shriek was so loud the glass in my hand shattered.”

“Youngjae-“ Daehyun's voice was shaking, tears streaming down his cheek. “Shark.” The love of his life was gone.

The Captain's eyes widened in understanding when the same shark appeared again, it was as big as their ship, and it was heading their way in a high speed.

Daehyun opened his arms and welcomed death, while the crew panicked around him.

Yet the shark stopped and opened its mouth, something flying out.

Suddenly Daehyun found himself on the wooden deck, a Youngjae on top of him. “You-“ He choked out. “I thought I had lost you.”

Youngjae just shrugged, his fin turning into legs and he got up, facing the shark. “Thanks, Don.”

“No worries, dude.”

The shark spoke.

Daehyun jumped up, eyes wide as he stared at the insanely big shark. The entire crew and the captain were frozen.

“Oh, Don! Introduce yourself, you apparently gave them all a scare.”

“Oh, I apologise,” the shark said, sounding genuinely sorry. “It wasn't my intention. I’m Megalodon, but Don for short.”

“So you're not gonna eat us?” Daehyun asked, confused. Was this Youngjae's friend?

“Eat you?” Don scoffed. “I became a vegan 103 years ago. No meat, no fish for me.”

Daehyun had no words, for once.

“So Don, what are you doing in these parts? It's been long since I last saw you.”

“Oh you know me, travelling around to experience the different seas and their cultures.”

“Cool. We definitely have to catch up one day soon!”

“Of course, you'll have to tell me all about this as well!” Don seemed to insinuate the ship and the grew.

“Sure! I'll tell you next time I come by.”

“Please do! Until then, Youngjae!”

“Bye, Don.”

The shark disappeared and Youngjae turned around, meeting the frozen crew. His forehead furrowed in confusion “What?”

At first no one spoke, but then one voice broke the silence.

“Are those yours?” It was Jongup, pointing at the clothes on the deck.

“Yeah, it is.”

Cue a panicked Daehyun as he realised someone had seen his man's and that Youngjae was nearly .

The appearance of the giant shark was momentarily forgotten as Daehyun threw a very loud fit and made everyone close their eyes as he grabbed the clothes and ushered Youngjae to their hammock.

“Chill,” Youngjae said as they stood by the hammock. “It's just clothes. You human are so weird.”

Daehyun just wanted to protect his boyfriend. Could he not see that?

“Are you okay, by the way? You look like you've been crying?” Youngjae stepped closer, a small hand cupping Daehyun’s cheek.

It came rushing back, the horror he had felt as he thought he had lost Youngjae. It was by instinct he moved forward, his arms wrapping around a thin waist and lips seeking out lips. It was their first proper kiss and Daehyun poured all of the despair and fright he had felt into it, tongue deep into the sweet mouth.

It lasted for a moment, before Daehyun pulled away and rested is forehead against Youngjae’s. “I thought I had lost you.”

Understanding dawned in the pretty eyes. “Oh.”

Seconds passed, the two just looking into one another's eyes. Daehyun treasured it, enjoyed it, but he wasn't disappointed when Youngjae closed his eyes and kissed Daehyun sweetly.

They stood there, revelling in each other until they remembered the world around them.