Future In-Laws

Of Sailing, Romance, and Punching Monsters

With everything back to normal and Daehyun back to his cheery self, they sailed out onto the seemingly endless sea.

It was still a ways off, the others had said, and Youngjae wondered how far away Daehyun's home really was. Youngjae wasn't used to traversing above the sea, so he had no sense of distance.

After a week of sailing since the stop at the tavern, something alarming happened.

“Sirens!”

Hastily, Youngjae had grabbed the spyglass out of one of the crew's hands and searched the sea carefully until he saw them.

A pair of them, on a rock.

Youngjae gulped loudly and pushed the spyglass into the man's hand roughly before running up to the Captain.

“Turn the ship harder!”

“Lad, I can't turn it harder.”

“You have to!”

“You are awfully panicked, son. They're your kind, what do you have to fear?”

“Youngjae, I heard your beautiful voice painted full of fear. Are you okay, my love?”

Youngjae ignored Daehyun, his eyes firmly on the Captain. “Those two are my parents. We need to sail away, NOW!”

Understanding dawned in the Captain's eyes. “Aye, I remember when I was a young lad wanting to get away from my worthless father. This ship will sail as fast as she can. Trust her.”

Youngjae smiled. “Thank-“

“Your parents!?” Daehyun's eyed had widened. “I need to meet them! I want to ask them for your hand!”

“Wha-?”

Daehyun had set off running to the edge of the boat, with Youngjae right on his heel. “Jung Daehyun you stop this instant!”

Luckily, before he could jump out, Jongup had tackled the stupid man.

“Thanks,” Youngjae said to the man still holding down a struggling Daehyun.

“No problem.”

“It's your parents, Youngjae! I have to get their approval!”

“My parents will kill you, so no. Don't let him go, Jongup.”

“Not planning on it.”

Good. Youngjae found the spyglass again, pleased to see they were getting further away from the rock.

Though, belatedly he realised there was no one on the rock, and suddenly a sweet melody reached his ears.

His mother and father, singing in harmony.

.

“Throw the anchor,” the Captain bellowed out, his voice sounding almost like he was drunk.

Jongup too had gotten off the struggling Daehyun, staring down in the water with a dreamy look.

“Now I can meet your parents, HAH!” Daehyun said triumphantly, before trying to climb over the edge. Youngjae grasped him by the collar and pulled him back, glaring as he stared down at his parents swimming innocently by the ship. They had stopped singing, but every crew member was enthralled and frozen.

“Mom, dad,” he acknowledged, glad Daehyun had stopped trying to jump ship and seemed content just looking down.

“Son, so this is where you've been. Your mother has been worried.”

“Darling, it's good to see you again.” She smiled widely.

“I told you guys I was going on an adventure and would be gone for a long time.”

“But? Humans? And sailors at that?” His father huffed in disapproval.

“They're cool and nice,” Youngjae defended. “So if you'd let them go I'd be very happy.”

“Hi!” Daehyun then spoke, throwing an arm around Youngjae. “I'm happy to finally meet you!”

His mother blinked, staring up in confusion. “Who is this, Youngjae?”

“It's- uh-“ Youngjae tried to ignore the expectant and way too bright look from Daehyun, but failed. “He is my boyfriend, kinda.” Guess since they shared a bed every night and there had maybe been a few forehead pecks, they basically were together.

“That explains how he wasn't affected by our song,” his father nodded to himself. “If his heart has been stolen by another, he can't be enthralled by any siren.”

“Yes, I love your son very much, Youngjae's parents. He is the love of my life.”

Oh no. Youngjae could see his parents completely melt as Daehyun spoke.

“If you're hanging out with this pleasant young man, then I'm fine with you travelling on dry land,” his mother said, eyes shining. His parents had always been romantics and soft hearted, even if they were renowned for having the high score on dragging humans to the sea floor.

“I'm happy you finally have some more friends, son,” his father approved. “We'll tell everyone that the ship bearing a fist for a flag is off limits.”

“Sweet.”

“We'll leave now, darling. Be sure to visit, okay!”

“Bye, mom and dad!”

“Bye, Youngjae,” his mother said. “And bye, future-in-law!”

“Bye!” Daehyun was waving excessively, being way too excited.

As his parents disappeared under water, Youngjae took a look around the ship and saw the crew coming to their senses again.

“Raise the anchor,” the Captain yelled as he stepped up to Youngjae. “Thank you for saving us. It will be great to travel the sea without having to fear the sweet melody of a siren.”

“No problem, Captain.”

Soon they were sailing again, the gentle sea breeze caressing his skin.

“So,” Daehyun raised an eyebrow. “Your parents were wearing crowns.”

Oh . Youngjae had hoped Daehyun would be too stupid to notice.

“Are you a royal, Youngjae? A prince?”

A sigh. The seahorse was out of the bag. “Yes.”

“Oh my god. My boyfriend is a prince!” Daehyun squealed, then looked down and regarded Youngjae's skirt which was being harassed by the wind. “A princess?” He laughed to himself, as if he had just said the greatest joke ever.

Youngjae just ignored him and went below deck, needing a long nap after this ordeal.

He couldn't believe he was practically engaged to Daehyun now. He had been official boyfriends with him for two minutes and now they're engaged?

At least according to the laws of his kingdom.

But Daehyun didn't need to know that. Boyfriends was more than enough for now.