A Kraken Appears

Of Sailing, Romance, and Punching Monsters


They set sail the following day, after a harrowing morning where Youngjae had angrily kicked the slobbering human out of the bed.

At noon, Youngjae experienced the feeling of travelling the sea on a ship and it wasn't a wholly unpleasant feeling.

Yet, at evening he regretted his decision.

Apparently he had to share a hammock with Daehyun, which just seemed dangerous to be honest.

“Are there no free ones?” Youngjae asked the Captain. He didn't notice Daehyun who stood behind him and was shaking his head at the Captain frantically.

“... Sorry, kid,” the Captain said after a few seconds of silence. “You'll have to share with someone and Daehyun's is the shortest and smallest of-“

“Small?” Daehyun yelled, enraged. The sudden roar made Youngjae jump in surprise. “I am not small!”

“Son, relax. I said you were smallest, not small.”

“I have muscles and my punch is definitely one of the strongest-“

Youngjae tuned out, finding it more interesting to watch how the veins in Daehyun's neck were threatening to pop as he monologued.

Punch. It reminded Youngjae of the ship's flag, which consisted of a fist.

It was a little pirate-y. He had to ask later what the crew of this ship was, pirates or sailors.

“Okay that's enough, son. You kids should go to bed. Off you go,” the Captain still had a jolly smile, despite having had to suffer the long tirade from Daehyun.

“I'm definitely not shortest,” Daehyun sulked, standing by his hammock. “Jongup may have more muscles, but he is shorter than me.”

Youngjae couldn't care less. “Can you just get in?”

“Ah,” Daehyun's eyes lit up, his sullen expression clearing away in an instant. “Right!” He got up on the hammock, it swinging a little to sides. It definitely didn't look steady, and with shaking limbs he carefully climbed into it and onto Daehyun.

“Hey,” Daehyun murmured, their faces nearly touching.

“I think this is the only way I can fit here, if I'm half on top of you.” Youngjae tried to adjust his legs, feeling a shiver up his back as his bare legs slid against Daehyun's.

“Yeah, I don't mind,” Daehyun breathed out. He sounded happy.

Youngjae placed his head on the pillow, his face only a couple of centimetres away from Daehyun's side profile.

And, it wasn't a bad sleeping position, though Daehyun definitely fell asleep first. It probably only took a minute until Youngjae could observe the steady rising of the man's chest.

Asleep, Youngjae finally could observe his supposed bodyguard more closely.

Daehyun was both a handsome and a pretty man, with thick, silky looking lips, soft hair, piercing eyes, and a mole right underneath the left eye which Youngjae found a little too attractive.

It's almost frustrating how such a stupid and annoying man could be blessed with such good looks.

Youngjae let his eyes fall to one of the biceps, seeing the impressive hints of muscles on the bronze skin.

Yeah, he was ridiculously attractive.

Youngjae breathed in deeply and lifted his head, gently placing a kiss on the plush lips. “Good night.”

With a hastily beating heart he settled for the night, the rocking of the ship steadily pulling him to sleep.

-

Days went by with Daehyun working hard alongside the crew and with Youngjae chatting a lot with the Captain. The nights were spent pressed up close with Daehyun and it quickly became a time Youngjae looked forward too, especially because the stupid bodyguard of his was so much more pleasant and less annoying when asleep.

Then, nearly seven days after they set sail, they encountered the Kraken.

“You know the drill, guys!” the Captain yelled, as the crew lined up. “Go kick it right in the eye socket!”

One by one the crew beautifully dived into the water, and Youngjae could only watch as Daehyun too jumped.

He tried to tell himself he wasn't worried, but it wasn't working.

“Should I go too, Captain?” Youngjae asked, managing to dodge a purple tentacle grabbing for him.

“Boy, your arms look like toothpicks, I think you'd only end up as fodder.”

Youngjae looked at his skinny arms. It was true, all of his muscles lay in his fin. It could really pack a punch and he had once slammed a dolphin so hard it immediately died. It had deserved it, being a , disgusting bastard.

Yet, he wasn’t sure he would be able to use it on the Kraken, not with all those tentacles out to grab.

He lifted his head up and stared at the visible tentacles, seeing some of the crew having been grabbed and lifted.

And then, mere seconds later, all the tentacles released their grips and sank into the water. Stepping closer, Youngjae observed as all of the crew resurfaced, the water having turned suspiciously red.

Daehyun was the last to get onboard again, with a winning smile. “It's dead, we literally punched it to death.”

“Great. You all did great.” The Captain sounded like a proud parent.

The crew cheered, friendly hugs being given out to anyone who came close. Youngjae made sure to step away, but he couldn't escape Daehyun's strong grip and was pulled into a hug so tight he almost lost his breath.

“Tonight we celebrate!” The Captain cheered, the sound of the anchor being lowered following the announcement.

Not long after everyone were singing and drinking, some even dancing.

Youngjae was still traumatised from the last time he had tried the horrible liquid and quietly sat at the table.

“So,” Youngjae turned to the Captain whom had also remained seated. “Does this mean the Kraken is forever gone?”

“Ah,” the Captain sent him a friendly smile. “Kraken isn't a name, it's a position. A job title if you will. Some squid out there will get the title, and grow as big the last one. Most likely it will get the memories too.”

Youngjae nodded understandingly: so the Kraken was eternal, just like some of his personal friends. It was kind of cool.

“Jaejae baby!” Daehyun, drunk off his , had stumbled over to them. “Dance with me!”

Youngjae didn’t much have a say in it, and as he had never tried to dance with a pair of legs before, he didn't mind much.

It was quite the enjoyable evening.