Fifth

Apples and Arrows

“I told you I have two papers due tomorrow so I can’t come.”

Felix rolled his eyes in the air as Jisung persistently asks him to come to an ongoing party where Felix barely knew anybody except his dorm mates. The clock ticked eight, he was lying on his bed making excuses to ditch an almost drunk Jisung and unfortunately, he’s failing.  Felix isn’t the type of person who doesn’t like to be alone. In fact, sometimes he likes the cold feeling lingering in the quietness and its coziness but besides that, parties aren’t his cup of tea for he knew he’s not good in interacting with people.

“Show your up here and give me a better excuse. I know you’ve finished them yesterday, .”

Sometimes, Felix hates how Jisung knew him too well and he hates how they’re the best of friends. He heaved in defeat and ended the call lazily. If he doesn’t come, he knew Jisung would call him all night so he’s left without a choice.

The smell of alcohol and smoky barbeque lingered in the night. Felix scanned the place to find his dorm mates but no one was in sight. He grabbed a glass of cola (he was more than thankful it doesn’t have to be a total alcohol kind of party) and sat on an empty couch beside the pool. He fished his phone on his pocket to call Jisung when he felt his side wriggled as it became occupied. Suddenly, he felt an arm resting on top of his shoulders making him flinch in surprise.

“Hey wha- Hyunjin?”

“Hi.” A flushed face with his hair styled messily sticking out in different directions welcomed the freckled boy.

“Where’s Jisung?”

“Ouch- I’m hurt.” Hyunjin grabbed his chest as if it was stabbed and smoothly laid his head on Felix’s shoulders.

“What is wrong with you?” Felix watched him by his side looking confused as ever.

“You were looking for somebody else.” Felix’s mouth fell ajar, regretting every single second of him going to the party.

“Oh my god you are so drunk Hwang Hyunjin.” Felix eyed the other in disbelief.

“Take me home.” Running out of breath, his body froze in an instant when the taller boy squeezed himself between his shoulder and his neck. Felix could smell his shampoo and a tinge of alcohol making his mind go a little bit haywire.

“Hey, get off me.” Gathering all his might, he swallowed the lump on his throat and tried to talk straightly. He knew his face was all heated up making him look like one of the drunken guys and he never hated parties more than ever.

Felix scanned the place once again, hoping that Jisung or Changbin would appear but all he saw was unfamiliar faces. He felt Hyunjin’s dead weight all on him and he assumed that the boy had fallen asleep. Great, just great.

He stood up being extra careful, trying to shoo the thought of dropping Hyunjin to the pool to wake his senses up. He just arrived less than ten minutes ago now he’s on his way home with a drunken guy who could barely walk. The heavens must’ve chosen to mock him and he promised to never attend parties anymore.

On their way to the subway, Felix felt his pocket vibrating. He guided Hyunjin to the nearest bench and took the call.

“You ditched me.” Jisung’s voice sounded sober but it doesn’t change the fact that Felix wanted to pinch him so bad until he never wants to bother him anymore.

“Oh my god don’t start with me.” He rolled his eyes and heaved in distress.

“Where are you? I thought you were coming!”

“I’m at my bed sleeping soundly until you called.”

“Fine I’ll let you pass but you’re coming next time. Good night sunshine!”

“I love you but you are so annoying you know that?” With that he ended the call leaving a quiet atmosphere.

Felix stretched his back and sat beside Hyunjin whose head hanged low on his chest. He leaned back putting all his weight on the bench and closed his eyes feeling the night breeze pass his face. For a minute or two, he stayed like that. He likes the cold feeling lingering in the quietness but he didn’t expect the sudden warmth pressing against his lips.

His eyes flung open quicker than a camera shutter and two orbs welcomed him closely. He thanked the heavens that the warmth was from Hyunjin’s fingers above his lips but still, it almost gave him a heart attack. He was about to mumble a ‘what the frigging heck are you doing?’ when Hyunjin pressed his fingers to his lips. “Sshhh.” Felix eyes grew even wider when Hyunjin started feeling his lips with his thumb.

“First, you were looking for somebody else and now you just told someone I love you. You’re breaking my heart Mr. Lee.”  Felix pushed him right before space doesn’t exist between their faces. He felt his face as red as a ripe tomato exploding any time soon.

“If you are acting fake drunk I swear to planet earth I will never talk to you again.”

Hyunjin looked at him hazily and sat beside him once again, squeezed himself between Felix’s neck and shoulders and mumbled “home” that gave him that constricting feeling on his chest or what he calls the Hyunjin effect. He was still recovering from what had happened but Hyunjin won’t even let him breathe properly. This guy hates me so much he wants me to die so soon.

With that, Felix decided to fake sleep on the train so he wouldn’t deal with Hyunjin anymore.

The next morning, all Felix wanted was a Hyunjin free day. He posted a sticky note beside Hyunjin’s bed saying ‘can’t make your lunch. woke up late.’ in big bold letters. Luckily, Hyunjin’s class starts at 9 and his at 8 making his excuse sound and look believable.

“Did you sleep?” Seungmin scanned Felix’s face with skeptical eyes noticing how tired he looks.

“Yeah, just tired. How’s the party last night?” Felix was busy rereading his paper which was due today. He never had the chance to double check last night because Hyunjin was so heavy he fell straight asleep as soon as they got home.

“Everybody got hang over. Well, except Hyunjin. He never gets drunk.” Felix’s eyes shot from his paper as if he heard something unpleasant that made his blood boil the lava would be scared.

 

Felix face palmed big time. Hwang Hyunjin. How can I forget?