Fourth

Apples and Arrows

It was their first day for their final term and Felix was the earliest to get up. As soon as he heard his alarm, regret started to eat him whole. Not only it was his first school day but it also marks the start of his unfortunate deal with his roommate. He slapped his cheeks continuously to wake his senses up as he lazily went off his bed and rolled his eyes on a soundly sleeping Hyunjin. Now he wants to back off but he can’t.

“Pack my lunch, cook for me, eat with me. As simple as that.” Felix’s jaw dropped when he heard Hyunjin’s condition. He was expecting it to be something school related like finishing all his essays and research papers yet Hyunjin decided to be his usual unexpected self.

“What? All I know is to fry eggs. Well, I cook ramen too but that’s all.” Felix said matter of factly, losing every inch of hope in his body.

“I’ll eat it. Just do what you’re tasked to do. Pack my lunch and eat with me until the term ends. Whatever.” Hyunjin sat back, arms crossed with his attention fully planted on Felix as if he was having fun watching him.

“How about doing all your papers instead? I bet you didn’t even sta-“

“I’ve finished them.”

“Wha- Are you serious?” Felix searched for a ‘no I’m just kidding look’ on Hyunjin’s eyes but instead he was welcomed with seriousness painted on the other’s orbs. Now, despite feeling glad with Hyunjin’s help, Felix felt completely at loss. It was Hyunjin and he will always be the Hyunjin Felix barely understands. How could he forget?

 Despite having no other choice, he knew how Hyunjin could be his key to survival and all he hopes is for it to work out. He let out a defeated sigh before giving his answer to an eager Hyunjin.

 “Fine. Deal.” With that, Hyunjin’s lips curled up in a sly smile, too troublesome for Felix’s perspective that it made him nervous in a way.

Getting up earlier than usual was exasperating for Felix but what frustrates him even more is what he would prepare. Other than the fact that he cannot cook, he still tries to guess what and why in the heavens did Hyunjin wanted him to pack his lunch and eat with him every day. The boy could cook and he managed to survive the earlier years yet he asked something Felix wasn’t capable of. He’s really testing me. Felix shook his head and desperately hoped his current situation saves him in the future.

In the end, his one and only scrambled egg and fried rice specialty was his final resort.

He glanced at his watch and hurriedly ran his way out hoping that he wouldn’t miss his bus. His lungs were gasping for air and his knees were almost out of strength when he arrived at the bus stop. Felix dropped his head and sighed exhaustedly as he reached for the card on his pocket just in time before the bus arrives. To his surprise, a taller boy cut him off in line taking the only seat available near the window which is his favorite spot. Turns out it was Hyunjin who has a smug grin forming on his lips but he has no enough energy to argue. What a great way to start a day. Felix told himself and flop his back on the nearest seat.

Felix quickly made his way out of the bus even if he has enough time to reach his Psychology class. Not because he was anticipating the class but he wanted to avoid Hyunjin at all costs. To him, Hyunjin screams embarrassment, trouble to be exact and he doesn’t want that for all he wants is to have a peaceful semester.

“See you later, teammate.” Felix heard a mocking tone but he did not turn back. If he could wish for a Hyunjin free day then he surely would.

Fortunately, Jisung and Changbin were on the same class as his. Felix wasn’t the type who would talk first to someone he barely knew that’s why he was more than grateful to have them both with him.

“Hey, former roommate! Missed me?” Jisung waved which made Felix smile. It has been days after the last time he saw the other members. Their preparation for their first evaluation test was full time and he never got the chance to bond with the others on their free remaining days.

“Please come back.” He begged jokingly which made Jisung laugh and yanked him into a hug.

“You can have him all you want. His snores won’t let me sleep.” Changbin heaved frustratingly.

“Well Hyunjin sleep talks! I almost die in heart attacks every night.” Changbin threw his arms in the air hopelessly. “They’re the worst roommates.” He uttered as he head inside.

“Don’t miss me too much. You’ll get used to him.” Jisung winked before breaking the hug just before their professor arrives.

Three subjects had only passed but Felix felt weary by then and just before he knew, it was lunch time already. He was too tired that he almost forgot that he was supposed to eat with Hyunjin which only came to him when he saw the familiar figure on the cafeteria. Felix felt his chest constricting unconsciously and he questioned himself for feeling that way but he tried hard to act as coolly as he can. He calls it the Hyunjin effect and it wasn’t a pleasant feeling at all.

Felix sat down in front of Hyunjin without meeting the other’s eyes. Hyunjin’s presence had always made him feel the same - always intimidating but he tries hard not to show how intimidated he was. He put out two lunch boxes and he felt two orbs studying his every move.

“It’s up to you if you’ll it eat. It’s nothing special anyway.” Felix’s eyes roamed around the place, trying hard to avoid the other’s gaze. He hid his hands under the table and nervously played with his fingers. And this time again, he wished he never agreed on the deal.

Suddenly, he was instantly frozen on his seat when Hyunjin leaned forward finally catching Felix’s eyes. “Do I make you nervous?”

Felix almost forgot how to breathe, but fortunately he managed to collect his thoughts. “Just eat.” He managed to say before looking away once again making the taller boy simper. When will he ever get used to Hyunjin’s eccentric gestures? Felix still doesn’t know.

“You’ll get used to me.” Hyunjin opened his lunch box and grinned cheekily as if he was reading the freckled boy’s mind. His grin widened even more when he saw what’s inside.

“You should get used to me.” He glanced one last time to Felix whose eyes were now on his lunch box, still trying to collect himself.

“Because you can’t get away.” He managed to say before taking a bite, leaving Felix in a deep sea of confusion.

Felix felt as if it was the longest lunch he ever had. Apart from having a klutzy atmosphere, neither of them talked after Hyunjin’s statement which made it worse. All was in Felix’s mind once again was when will he ever understand the taller boy and he kept questioning himself why does he feel the way he felt around the boy.  Why was he always nervous around the boy?

His dance class was his last class and the only class where he felt the burning feeling of anticipation inside his chest. Hyunjin’s routine fits him well and for the first time he felt confident. When he arrived, Hyunjin was already inside stretching. During their practice, Hyunjin never made him feel as an underdog; in fact he handled him professionally. When it comes to dancing, Hyunjin becomes another person. The trickster, intimidating, mischievous Hyunjin in Felix’s eyes were morphed in a way Felix never thought him to be and he was glad to witness the other side of him. All the menacing impressions he had on the boy suddenly transformed into trust as if danger had retreated to become a safe zone. But still, at the end of the day, he goes back to his original form - the trickster Hyunjin who looks at him with a playful smirk on his lips.

Felix positioned himself and breathed out. He felt Hyunjin do the same but this time he felt him closer to him than the way they’ve practiced. He was about to signal him but before he could look at the taller boy and say anything, the music started playing.

♪ Oh damn, oh damn, oh damn
I'm so perplexed
With just one breath, I'm locked in
Oh damn, oh damn, oh damn
I'm so perplexed
On that, it's almost shocking
I know, I know you know you're scared
Your heart, your mind, your soul, your body
They won't, they won't, they won't be careful
But I guess that you don't know me

'Cause if I want you, and I want you, babe
Ain't going backwards, won't ask for space
'Cause space is just a word made up by someone who's afraid to get too

Close, oh 

 

Felix felt himself lost in the music and his body moved accordingly without holding back. His eyes met Hyunjin’s and the flame from the other’s eyes started a wildfire on his chest.


♪ Oh, so close, oh
I want you close, ooh
'Cause space is just a word made up by someone who's afraid to get close, oh
Oh, so close, oh
I want you close, ooh
Oh, I want you close, and close ain't close enough, no 

 

It was the first time he was able to stare directly at Hyunjin’s eyes. He felt the electric sensation racing on his spine and suddenly, they were the only people in the crowd.

 

♪ Oh man, oh man
I am not really known for ever being speechless
But now, but now somehow
My words roll off my tongue right onto your lips, oh
I'm keeping cool while you keep smiling
Saying all the things I'm thinking
Oh man, oh man
I am like you so I want proof of what you're feeling

'Cause if I want you, and I want you, babe
Ain't going backwards, won't ask for space
'Cause space is just a word made up by someone who's afraid to get too

Close, oh 

And with that wildfire and electric shock, he knew he can’t get away.

 

 


a.n.: 

Song: Close - Nick Jonas ft. Tove Lo

This chapter is a mess but still, thank you for supporting! Tell me your thoughts in the comments. I'd love to hear from you all. :)