Third

Apples and Arrows

Breathe. Felix told himself countless of times but his brain and lungs seemed to be at war this time. He was lying on his bed with eyes staring straight at the ceiling. It was a foreign vibe to have no Jisung in their room but Felix’s mind fails to register everything and having Hyunjin as his roommate still doesn’t make sense. The smell of Jisung’s shower gel was now replaced by an unfamiliar scent. Mintier, as Felix would describe it but he couldn’t deny that he likes it nevertheless.

His thoughts were abruptly interrupted when he heard a faint sound from the side of his bed. Felix swallowed nervously and tried to glance at the other through his eyes without moving his head and checked if he was awake. When he felt the other unruffled, he assumed Hyunjin to be fast asleep.

He tried to find sleep in his thoughts but it was nowhere there. The thought that Hyunjin could fall asleep in Felix’s original room easily unlike him bothers Felix. He glanced at the clock hanging on the wall and groaned in frustration inside his mind when he saw the clock beaming 3am in bold red light. He should be the one to feel uneasy, not me. Felix sighed a little too loud and tried to shake his thoughts away.

He closed his eyes tightly, hoping for sleep to seep in when he heard another sound coming from the person beside his bed. This time, Felix turned his face on the other’s direction to check.

The muffling sound coming from Hyunjin is getting a little bit louder and Felix felt odd and a wee bit scared thinking if the other is having a nightmare or anything else. Before he knew, he was already tiptoeing his way beside Hyunjin’s bed. He stooped down a bit to check the other and immediately noticed how Hyunjin’s brows were furrowed which made him more nervous. He was contemplating how to wake the other up but before he could, the boy sat up straight and muttered an almost husky scream that took Felix in surprise.

“It’s coming!” Hyunjin sat up straight with his lips starting to curl up. But he tried hard to suppress it.

“aaaah!” Felix screamed with closed eyes as he jumped on Hyunjin out of panic. The deep set voice he had unexpectedly tuned into a higher pitch out of terror. Hyunjin felt grateful that every single one on their dorm are deep sleepers. Felix rolled beside Hyunjin and squeezed himself as if he was hiding for his life. His breathing was rugged with his fists clenched in front of his face, ready to punch as well in any minute. He was completely at lost when he felt Hyunjin move and sensed a pair of eyes staring at him. With this, Felix slowly slid his hands down to uncover his face and gently opened his eyes. He was about to scream once again as he saw a pair of eyes in front of him when a giggling sound echoed in his ears. It was Hyunjin’s and their faces were only an inch apart which made Felix’s face heat up in an instant. He pulled his face away as quickly as he could, causing his head to bump slightly on the wall turning Hyunjin’s chuckle in a blatant laugh.

“What the hell was that?” Felix stood up quickly before he completely loose his mind.

“I told you I sleep talk.” Hyunjin’s teasing smirk was plastered all over his face which made Felix look away.

“R-really? I swear to the heavens if this is one of your tricks then-“

“It’s not. Really.” Hyunjin bit his lower lip to stop himself from laughing once again. He was lying. In fact, he was not sleep talking and he was all aware. Like the freckled boy, he cannot sleep and he blames it to the unfamiliar room, to Felix’s sighs and to the rustling sounds from the other’s pillows.

Felix heaved in defeat and threw himself on his bed with his hands still on his chest as if it would bring back his normal heart rate. He wanted to argue and tell Hyunjin to stop but he knew it would be useless. This boy loves teasing him.

“Can’t sleep?” Hyunjin was now lying in his bed as well, the same position as Felix. Both staring freely at nothing.

“Yeah.” Felix shyly replied and felt a tinge of guilt as if Hyunjin knew what he was thinking about earlier.

Silence took up the room with the sound of AC only to be heard. It wasn’t an uncomfortable silence but rather it felt pleasant for the both of them.

“You’ll get used to me.” Hyunjin shut his eyes, letting the silence bleed in.

“I—I hope so.” Felix did the same and finally drifted to dreamland, unconscious if it was still Hyunjin’s trick that made his heart hammered or if it was Hyunjin himself.

It was a weird feeling for the freckled boy to sleep and wake up without the sound of Jisung’s soft snores but he immediately erased the thought. Maybe I’ll get used to it. Soon.

He quickly made his way to the bathroom not expecting to be welcomed by Hyunjin in his bed hair. Still eyes half closed for being too sleepy. He felt flustered and avoided Hyunjin’s gaze when he realized he’s probably on the same state as Hyunjin.

“Damn you look so cute.” Felix turned back when he heard Hyunjin mumbled something but his voice was too raspy to be heard clearly. When their eyes met, Hyunjin was smirking playfully with sleepy eyes and Felix felt confused.

“What?”

“I said good morning.”

“Oh. Morning.”

Their day passed by in a blur. After eating out with rest of his dorm mates, Felix felt the pressure of the nearing start of the semester. Changbin and Jisung were almost complete with their guild project. Woojin, and Chan were conducting final touches to their prototype while Chan had already made his own international recipe. Seungmin and Jeongin on the other hand were bragging endlessly for they had already finished their own developed video game which leaves him and Hyunjin on their first dance evaluation tests. Felix’s specialty is freestyling and the fact that he needs to choose the music and choreograph everything for the test made his head throb.

He glanced at Hyunjin who was seated in front of him, busy on his phone. He saw how Hyunjin progressed in their dance class since day one and he knew how evaluation tests can be a piece of cake for him. He ticked his tongue in frustration and tried to think of a good concept as he leaned his head on the wall. He was running out of ideas when he heard Hyunjin’s voice.

“I can help you.” Felix’s head shot up as he heard the taller boy talk. He scanned the room to look for another person and made sure if the other was pertaining to him. He looked back to the taller boy sitting in front of him who’s still busy with his phone as if he was reading Felix’s mind.

“Are you talking to me?”

“No, I’m talking to that.” Hyunjin pointed the stack of pillows beside Felix which made the freckled boy roll his eyes.

“Let’s team up. I mean, for the evaluation test.”

Felix’s eyes glowed up and his lips curled up automatically in a smile. He’s not that bad after all.

“But in one condition.” Hyunjin’s lips curled up slyly, as playful as it could get.

With that, Felix’s smile disappeared.

 

--------

a.n.: sorry for a rushed, boring chapter. TT_TT