Chapter 9

Nothing is Impossible

Kim Sojung tried her best to not look as uncomfortable as she felt. The situation could not have been more awkward. She had no idea how the staff always did it. How could they accompany their trainees inside the doctor’s office and listen to private medical history? Of course, this was a standard physical examination that was ordered by every company, but she still felt like an intruder. She had thought it would not be this bad when her CEO had asked her whether she was ready to take on more responsibility, but it felt as if she was overstepping her boundaries. She had even offered to stay outside since she didn’t have to know private information. It would be enough when their CEO received the report later on, but Jung Eunbi had politely declined.

“And here is the list of foods you will be allowed to eat, if you want to meet the weight goal your CEO-nim set for you in two months,” the doctor explained and Eunbi frowned deeply as she looked at the rather short list. “If you pair this with lots of exercise, it will be possible to minimize your weight in a healthy way without starving yourself.”

Thank you,” Eunbi answered, still looking at the list.

Sojung could tell that she was not impressed, but it was understandable. She obviously had not followed any diet after stopping with her training and to be forced to start again, was probably not a good feeling. Sojung just hoped that Eunbi knew it was necessary and that she would have to deal with this, if she really wanted to pursue this career.

The doctor nodded and looked back to the form that Eunbi had filled out in the waiting room. A wrinkle appeared between his eyebrows as he read something on the form before he glanced back up.

Non-active LCH?” he asked. The sudden seriousness in his voice caused Sojung to raise her eyebrows as she looked between the doctor and Eunbi. What was LCH?

Eunbi nodded and started to play with her fingers. “I started treatment when I was seven and was finally cleared when I was twelve.”

The doctor leaned back, still looking intently at the girl in front of him. “You are aware that there is no official cure?”

Eunbi lowered her head and gave him another nod. Sojung’s eyebrows went higher. No cure?! “My doctor says that it’s unlikely to reactivate, though.”

“I take it you’re going to the follow-ups?”

“Every year,” Eunbi answered solemnly.

“That’s good.” The doctor let out a deep sigh. “I’m no expert on this particular subject, but I’m sure you’re aware of the late effects it can cause?”

“I am.”

Sojung furrowed her brow as she tried to make sense of what she was hearing. Whatever it was, it seemed serious. Very serious. But it wasn’t her place to ask questions. God, she really didn’t belong in this meeting. This was too personal.

“Alright.” The doctor cleared his throat and stood up. Eunbi and Sojung followed his actions. “I will send the full report to your CEO, but I can already tell you that you’re in good health. You should have no problems with your future training and lifestyle as long as you follow the diet plan I gave you and do the physical exercises given by your personal trainer. I hope to not see you again in the near future.”

He smiled at his attempt to light the rather tense mood and the girls bowed and thanked him for his time before leaving the office. Sojung forced herself to not look at Jung Eunbi, even though her thoughts were still racing from the conversation in the doctor’s office.

“Langerhans cell histiocytosis,” Eunbi suddenly mumbled and Sojung glanced at her with confusion. “LCH. That’s what it stands for.”

“You don’t have to tell me,” she quickly replied. “I shouldn’t have been in the meeting, that was confidential. I’m not going to mention –”

“It’s okay, it’s not a secret anyway,” Eunbi said quietly before shrugging. She didn’t look up from the ground as they walked through the hallway. “Langerhans cells are a form of the white blood cells. My body had a disorder that caused to produce too many of them, so I had to go through treatment when I was a child.”

Too many white blood cells? Sojung paled. That sounded an awful lot like… “Cancer?”

But Eunbi shook her head. “Tumors can grow and such, but it’s not classified as cancer. I’m fine now, though. The chances of it ever coming back are basically non-existent.”

That still sounded an awful lot like cancer to her. Sojung glanced at the small girl next to her. She could only imagine what she had to go through as a child. “What did the doctor mean with late effects, if you don’t mind me asking?”

A few seconds passed without Eunbi saying a word. Sojung was just about to apologize and start a different topic, as the younger girl finally spoke up.

“The disease and the intense treatment can interfere with growth and development, so it might cause diabetes or neurological problems. But they don’t show up until 10 years or more after the diagnosis,” Eunbi answered quietly. She put her arms around herself. “How will the endurance test go, Sojung-nim?”

10 years or more?! That was basically now! Those effects could show any time now! Sojung blinked a couple of times, trying to get rid of the disturbing thoughts that were screaming in her mind. Was this the reason their CEO wanted her to tag along? So that she could keep a close eye on her? Had he known about this?

She shook herself out of her thoughts. “It’s… demanding. Our personal trainer will push you to your limits. Afterwards I will show you around and introduce you to the other girls. You can rest in our practice room while we show you the choreography we’re currently working on.”

Eunbi nodded and reverted back to her quiet self. Sojung could tell that the small girl would need some time to warm up, but she would do her best to include her as best as she could. Not only was it her responsibility as the leader to care for her members, but there was just something about Jung Eunbi that made her feel protective already, just like she felt for her other girls.

She really hoped her girls would get along with this new addition and that the other Eunbi would not give this Eunbi an equally cold welcome as she had done to Yewon. Sojung winced. She was not sure if she could handle two of those cases at once.