Chapter 3 - New Contact

Coffee Spill

Youngjae spent the weekend and part of Monday stressing out over his assignment for Speech class and managed to put together a presentable PowerPoint. He’s basically lying about the whole thing since he couldn’t decide on what career to talk about. He just wasn’t interested in anything and so he chose to discuss about being a teacher. He’s hoping to score some brownie points since he chose teaching and maybe his teacher will feel something and give him a good grade. 

He arrived early to school to finish up on the PowerPoint. He printed out the slides and made notes to see what to emphasize on. His friends joined him to finish up their assignments too. He was highlighting and writing down some information when Jaebum walked in. Youngjae didn’t notice him at first until he sat at the computer next to him.

“Good morning Youngjae,” Jaebum greeted as he logged into the computer. Youngjae whipped his head toward him, completely taken aback. 

“Oh, good morning Jaebum hyung,” Youngjae greeted back. He learned that Jaebum was a senior from their talk after school on Friday. 

“What have you got there?” Jaebum asked as he eyed the print outs. Youngjae looked at the papers and then back at Jaebum.
“My assignment for Speech class, we’re going to present today,” Youngjae explained. He flipped through the papers and decided that it was all done and stuffed them in his backpack. 

“Ah, speech; I hated it too,” Jaebum chuckled as he recalled the class. “I was so nervous that my hands would shake and I had this queasy feeling in my stomach every time I had to present.”

“Did you really?” Youngjae asked, his eyes going wide. “I haven’t even gone, yet I already have the jitters.”   

“Don’t worry about it, it’’ll be fine,” Jaebum tried to comfort a now panicking Youngjae. “Hey breathe, you’re not in Speech class right now.” 

Youngjae didn’t realize that he’d been holding his breath until Jaebum pointed it out. He exhaled and his body with limp. He inhaled and felt his heart rate going back to it’s normal pace. “Sorry, I just really hate speaking in public.” 

“Don’t we all,” Jaebum laughed out. Youngjae let out a shaky laugh as well. 

“Hey Youngjae,” Yugyeom called out, or more like whispered out. He turned to look at his friend, “We’re gonna go, are you coming?” Mark was standing next to Yugyeom with yet, another comic in hand. 

Youngjae looked back at Jaebum, “Um...I gotta go.” Youngjae logged out of the computer and stood up. 

“Yeah, no problem,” Jaebum stared up at him, “I’ll see you later.”

“Yeah, bye hyung,” Youngjae followed after his friends, there was still time to go to the cafeteria and get some breakfast. 

“Who was that?” Yugyeom asked. 

“Someone that I have gym class with,” Youngjae answered.

“And the one you spilled coffee on last week,” Mark chimed in. He was reading as he spoke. 

Yugyeom looked at him, “No way, really!?” 

Youngjae cursed at Mark in his head, “How do you know?” 

Still not looking at him, “Jackson told me.” Mark’s answer was plain and simple. 

Youngjae also cursed Jackson, “Well yeah, I did. But it was on accident!” He didn’t want to beat around the bush and right away admitted it. Yugyeom broke out in a fit of laughter. Youngjae pushed and walked ahead of his friends. He made it to the cafeteria and got in whatever line that was closest to him. His friends got in line behind him. 

They got their food, (a simple breakfast sandwich) and walked out of the cafeteria. “So how did that happen?” Yugyeom asked after a few bites. Youngjae gave him the stink eye, secretly hoping that he’d have forgotten about it. But nothing gets past Yugyeom. 

“I had just gotten my drink and when I turned around, he was right behind and bumped into him,” Youngjae explained, embarrassment washing over him again as he recalled the events. 

“Wow, and was he like super pissed?” Yugyeom pestered on. 

“No, which I’m grateful for. I was for sure he was going to hit me,” Youngjae was forever thankful for how easily Jaebum had brushed the incident off. But that still didn’t make him feel any less bad about it. He’d thought about it from time to time over the weeked. 

“That was nice of him,” Mark said, he didn’t have a book in his hand since he was eating. The bell then rang and the friends went to their separate classes. 

 


“Come one Youngjae, it wasn’t that bad,” Mark tried to cheer up his friend.

“It was the worst!” Youngjae whined out and hid his head in his hands. The three of them decided to eat in the cafeteria that day so, Youngjae could eat his feeling of embarrassment away. He took his hands away and started to shovel food into his mouth. Mark handed him a water bottle in case he choked. 

“Yeah, it was kinda bad,” Yugyeom said, “You were sweating man.” Mark glared at the younger. Yugyeom stared at him, “Oh come on, you were there too, you saw him.”

Youngjae hated the fact that his name was one of the first few on the list to present today. Three had gone ahead of him and he know for a fact that, that wasn’t enough time to prepare himself. Heck, even if he was the last one, he still wouldn’t be ready. But nonetheless, he went and did his best. Well at least that’s what he thought he was going to do. 

He stumbled over his words, his eyes kept blinking too much, he didn’t even look at the notes he’d brought up with him, droplets of sweat started to form on his upper lip, and he was certain that he was gonna pass out or puke, maybe both. But luckily neither of the two happened and he sat back down. He put his head down on his desk and shakily breathe in and out. 
“Whatever, I’m just glad it’s over,” Youngjae gulped down some water and took Mark’s portion of food. He usually didn’t eat lunch. Mark and Yugyeom looked at him but said nothing. Silence washed over them. Mark was reading while Yugyeom was on his phone. And Youngjae stuffed his face. 

“Hi guys,” Bambam said as he walked over, “Do you mind if I eat with you?” Yugyeom pulled out a seat for him and the two started talking about this new video game that was coming out soon. 

“Youngjae!” Jackson called out and plopped down next to him. Youngjae glared at him. “What’s wrong? What did I do?” 

“You told Mark hyung what happened,” Youngjae said, remembering this morning.

“About what?” Jackson was a total air-head at times. Sometimes it was funny and endearing, other times it was annoying and enraged others. Youngjae was feeling the latter part right now. 

“About what happened at the café,” Youngjae smacked his shoulder. Jackson winced at the pain and he tried to remember. 

“Oh, that. Was I not supposed to say anything?” 

“NO!” Youngjae shouted at him. The students from the nearby tables looked at them. 

Jackson looked at him sheepishly, “Oh, sorry.” Youngjae just gave him the stink eye. Lunch ended with Jackson apologizing a zillion times, to which Youngjae accepted a zillion times, but he still wanted to make Jackson feel bad about it. 

“Fine, it’s okay. Just buy me a pizza from that shop that opened up a few weeks ago.” Youngjae demanded. Jackson nodded his head and the two headed to class together. 

 


Youngjae wanted the pizza after school, so he and his friends met up a the front of the school. When he arrived, he noticed that Jaebum was there talking to Jackson and someone else he didn’t recognize.

“Youngjae you’re here, hurry let’s go.” Jackson wrapped his arm around his shoulder. 

“Hi Youngjae,” Jaebum greeted. Youngjae greeted him back and looked at the person he didn’t know.  
“Hi, I’m Jinyoung. I have my last class with Jackson and Jaebum, “Jinyoung introduced himself.

“I hope you don’t mind that I invited them,” Jackson said. 

“No, it’s fine. The more the merrier,” Youngjae replied. He smiled at Jinyoung who smiled back. 

“Sorry, I here,” Bambam ran up to them breathless. “Mr. Chwe let us out late.” All seven of them walked to the pizza shop. Mark was reading (when is he not at this point). Yugyeom and Bambam were playing a game on their phones. Jackson was trying to get Jinyoung to help pay for the pizzas they were going to order.

“Why should I pay? You invited me,” Jinyoung strongly opposed. 

“Please, I’ll pay you back. I don’t have much on me,” Jackson pleaded. Jinyoung walked ahead of him, ignoring Jackson’s pleas.

Youngjae and Jaebum fell in step behind the group. They remained quiet for the most part, since Youngjae wasn’t sure how to start a conversation. 

“How was your presentation?” Jaebum broke the silence between the two of them. He looked at Youngjae, an expectant look on his face. Youngjae looked away from him. 

“Uh...it was good,” He wasn’t up for being embarrassed again. Especially in front of Jaebum. 

“Did something happen?” Jaebum wasn't buying his answer. 

“No, nothing happened. All is good,” Youngjae wanted to drop the subject.

“I know you’re lying,” Jaebum said. Youngjae looked at him, shocked.

“You can tell?” And then he cursed at himself for being caught.

“Yeah I can, so spill,” Jaebum urged on. Youngjae looked at anything else, but at Jaebum. He went on to explained what happened. He felt himself blush since he was getting embarrassed again. When he finished, they were already at the pizza shop. 

They  all piled in and gave their orders. As they waited, Jackson, Yugyeom, Bambam and Jinyoung went to the arcade games they had in the far right of the shop. Mark had gone off to the restroom which left Youngjae and Jaebum at their table.

“You know, it’s already if you messed up a little, “Jaebum said, “You did good and that’s all that matters.” 

“Well my grade matters,” Youngjae uttered as he took a sip of his drink. 

“You’ll get a good grade, trust me,” Jaebum smiled at him. Youngjae blushed, but said nothing. Mark rejoined them and the three waited patiently for their pizzas. 

“So, have you seen anything good lately?” Jaebum asked; trying to start a conversation. 

“There’s this show I just started on Netflix called, “Hotel Beau Séjour”, it’s pretty interesting so far,” Youngjae answered. Before the conversation can go any further, the pizzas arrive and the others join them. They spend their time eating and joking around. Loud laughter comes from their table which makes some people in the shop stare at them. But they say nothing. 

Jinyoung finally caves in and helps Jackson cover the bill, “You so owe me.” He says as he begrudgingly hands Jackson some money. Jackson thanks him over and over again. They walk out, bellies full from the best pizza they claim to have ever had. 

“We should come again soon,” Yugyeom suggests. They all agree and walk off. 

“Where are you all headed?” Jinyoung asks.

“I need to go to the library. I have to meet up with someone for a project” Mark says.

“Bambam and I wanted to go to Game Stop,” Yugyeom replies. 

“I need to go home, I gotta check on my dog,” Youngjae says. 

“Okay, well Jackson and I are going to go look at the new Samsung phone. I need a new one,” Jinyoung said.

“We are?” Jackson asked. Jinyoung just looked at him, “I mean yes, we are.”

“What are you Jaebum?” 

“I’m gonna head home too.” He replied.

They all split up and Youngjae started to walk off. “Wait, you’re not gonna make me buy you a new phone, right?” He heard Jackson ask.

“Maybe, you owe me, right?” Jinyoung declared.

“But that’s way expensive!” Jackson yelled out, but it fell on deaf ears as Jinyoung dragged him along. 

Youngjae noticed that Jaebum was walking along with him. “I live this way,” Jaebum said when he saw the questioning look Youngjae wa giving him. They walked to the bus stop in silence and got on and sat in silence too. 

Youngjae stared out the window, being hyper aware of the fact that Jaebum was sitting next to him and he wasn’t sure what to do. He pulled out his phone and earphones. “You wanna listen to some music?” He offered an earphone to Jaebum who gladly accepted. He played Zion.T’s new album and the two listened as the bus drove off. 

Jaebum’s stop was coming up and he gave Youngjae his earphone back. Before he left, he looked at Youngjae, “We should exchange numbers.” he pulled out his phone and handed it to Youngjae. And he did the same. They typed their numbers in and handed them back. 

Jaebum smiled at him, “See you later.” And then he got off. 

Youngjae stared at the newly added contact. He then got a text message.

 

To: Youngjae
From: Jaebum
Received at 5:48 p.m.

Get home safe.


Youngjae slowly smiled at the message.

 

A/N: Hey guys! It's been since July that I last updated, sorry about that. (-д-;) But I'm back for now and I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! 

Until whenever...