Chapter 2 - Proper Introductions

Coffee Spill

Youngjae stared on in horror at the coffee stain on the other person’s shirt. “I-I’m so, so sorry,” he said again. The boy winced at the burning pain and Youngjae felt even guiltier.

Running to go and get some napkins, Youngjae came back and started dabbing on the boy’s clothes. He continued to apologize relentlessly. The boy grabbed his wrist, halting him from his lame attempt at cleaning up.

“It’s okay, just be careful next time,” he said and walked out of the shop. Being unable to shake the incident off, Youngjae ran after the boy.

“Here I know it’s not enough. But please take this,” Youngjae handed the boy twenty dollars that he had, “At least to buy some ointment for any burn that I may have caused. Again I’m truly sorry.” Youngjae bowed his head and took off.

“But I really don’t need this,” the boy said but Youngjae was out of earshot. Pocketing the money, he made his way home.

“How can you be so clumsy?” was the first thing Yugyeom said when Youngjae answered his call. After finishing up with Jackson, Youngjae headed home and was messaging Yugyeom along the way. Upon telling his friend what had happened, Yugyeom decided to call him.

“I know, I still feel really bad about it,” Youngjae replied. He had just entered his house and made his way to his room. He dumped his backpack on the floor and threw himself on the bed.

“Was the guy really mad?” Yugyeom asked. The noise on the other end of the phone and Youngjae could only assume his friend was playing a game.

“I’m surprised that he wasn’t, he just told me to be careful and took off,” Youngjae rolled around to lay flat on his stomach and took one of the comic books that he left on his bed.

“Well at least you apologized and the guy wasn’t seriously upset,” Yugyeom said, “Just be careful next time.”

“Yeah, okay. Later Yugyeom, I’ll see you tomorrow,” Youngjae said and hung up. He spent the rest of the night reading comics and trying to get some homework done.

 

“We’re finally her early today, Mr. Choi,” Mr. Pyeon said as Youngjae walked up to school. He put six alarms on to make sure that he wouldn’t be late again. He arrived twenty minutes early and while he was still sleepy, he didn’t want to risk the chance of getting detention again.

He greeted Mr. Pyeon and walked into school. He wasn’t sure if Yugyeom or Mark had arrived and so he decided to go to his first class. On the way he was greeted by Bambam, a Thai exchange student he met a few months ago.

“Good mornin’ h-hyung,” Bambam greeted. His accent was a little thick, but Youngjae understood him.

“Hey Bambam,” greeted Youngjae. They talked a little on the way to Youngjae’s class.

“How do you like Korea?” Youngjae asked. He didn’t really know the Thai boy very well and wasn’t sure what to talk about.

“It fine, very fun,” Bambam said, “Korean just little difficult.”

“It’s okay, you sound perfect to me,” Youngjae encouraged. Bambam smiled at the compliment. They bid each other goodbye when they arrived at Youngjae’s classroom.

When he walked in, Youngjae noticed that he was the only one there. He took his seat and took out homework he needed to finish for Math that was next period. While he was working, students started to file inside and then the bell rang. He put his homework away and looked to the front when the teacher arrived.

 

Youngjae spent his lunch time in the library looking up careers that might sound interesting. He was several tabs open on Google of jobs from different fields. The thought of doing anything in the medical field, had Youngjae’s stomach in knots. He couldn’t stand the sight of blood. Being a teacher didn’t really sound all too interesting either. Not even anything in business administration.

He didn’t even know which college or university he wanted to attend, so what made the teacher believe that he knew what he wanted to do when he was older. Youngjae closed all the tabs and logged out of the school’s computer.

He walked up and down the shelves and swept pass book after book. He spent the rest of his time in the library and checked out two books when the bell rang to signal lunch was over. Stuffing the books in his backpack, Youngjae walked to class.

 

Walking out of his Health Science class, Youngjae dragged his feet to the one period he hated the most, P.E. He hated that they were required to have P.E. three days out of the week. Sulking the rest of the way, he walked into the locker rooms to change. He was greeted by Jackson who was changing when he walked in. He was glad he had someone he knew in here.

“Hey Youngjae,” Jackson greeted. He was tying his shoes and Youngjae greeted him back. “I’ll see out there.” Jackson stood up and headed towards the gym. Youngjae nodded and got dressed. He sat next to Jackson who was talking to some seniors Youngjae didn’t know.

When the coach made sure that everyone was in attendance, he blew his whistle to get their attention. “Alright we’re going out onto the field to run some laps!” He blew his whistle again, “Let’s go!”

Everyone filed onto the track field and started to run when the coach gave his signal. Youngjae ran at a leisure pace, not wanting to use up too much of his energy all at once. He lost sight of Jackson afterwards and continued to run pass girls who opted to walk instead.

Jackson waved to him as he ran around the track field again. They had to run five laps and Youngjae was already out of breath even though he hadn’t finished one. By the time he finished all five laps, the boys were playing soccer, some girls walked along the track as they talked and the non-athletic kids sat under the trees to keep away from the sun. Being one of them, Youngjae sat under a tree far off from the rest.

He took out his phone to pass the time while occasionally watching the guys play. When he looked up from his phone, he noticed that one of them looked familiar. Squinting his eyes, Youngjae tried to recall where he had seen him before. The boy was running around which made it a little difficult for Youngjae to see his face clearly and when he couldn’t register from where he’d seen him, he gave up. He looked to his phone again and was reading a webtoon when it finally hit him.

He whipped his head back up and zoomed in on the boy’s face. He released a sound of shock which brought everyone who was near him to attention. Even some of the players who heard him stopped which made the others stop too. Jackson, who heard him, ran up to him.

“Youngjae are you okay?” Jackson crouched in front off and looked him up and down. Youngjae noticed the boy staring at him too. Embarrassed by the sudden attention, he quickly said that he was alright. After making sure Youngjae was telling the truth, Jackson went back to the game.

Youngjae hid his face in his hands, the embarrassment still fresh and he tried to make sense of the revelation the just occurred.

‘He’s here?!’

‘He’s in my P.E. class!’

‘How?! When?!’

Question after question pops up into Youngjae’s head as he secretly looks at the boy he spilled coffee on yesterday. He’s now in his class playing soccer and Youngjae is freaking out.

“What am I supposed to do? Act like nothing happened?”

“Should I go ask if he’s alright? But what if he doesn’t remember?”

“Of course he would, how could he forget that some idiot spilled hot coffee on him?!”

Youngjae was talking to himself out loud and gesturing his hands up into the air. Some girls walking by noticed him and giggled as they walked on.  Feeling embarrassed again, he buried his face into his hands. The rest of the period was spent with him trying to wrap his head around the fact the boy is in his P.E. class even though he’s never seen him before while also debating on what to do about that.

He hasn’t found the answer when the coach blows the whistle and shouts at them to go back into the locker rooms. He walks up to Jackson who complains that some senior played dirty in the game just now. Youngjae is on the lookout to see is he could find coffee boy (that’s what he’s decided to call him) anywhere.

Since he didn’t sweat much compared to Jackson, Youngjae changes back into his uniform and waits for his friend outside. He’s sitting on a bench outside when coffee boy comes out. His hair is damp from the shower and Youngjae can’t help but stare.

He shakes his head when he notices the guy stare back at him. He looks back at his phone to feign innocence. Youngjae notices that coffee boy takes a seat on the bench as well.

A cold sweat starts to run over Youngjae’s body, his heart racing a mile a minute. He wants to leave but that would seem too sudden and he’s waiting for Jackson.

‘Hurry the hell up hyung!’ he screams in his head, trying to send a telepathic signal to Jackson.

‘Do you think he’s here to tell me off about yesterday?’ Youngjae starts to think, ‘Of course he is, what other reason could there be.’

Mentally preparing himself for the earful or possibly physical pain he’s about to get, Youngjae is surprised instead by the question coffee boy asks him.

“Are you stalking me?”

Youngjae shoots his head up, “What?” That was unexpected.

“Are you stalking me?” coffee boy asks again. Youngjae goes from panicked to annoyed in a matter of seconds.

“What makes you think I’m stalking you?” Youngjae shoots back.

“You’re in my P.E. class and you kept staring at me while I was playing soccer just now.”

“Um...for starters you’re in my P.E. class. And second of all, I was not staring,” Youngjae lied about the last part. “Did you just start school or something?”

“I transferred here today,” coffee boy replied.

“Well there you go, I’m not stalking you. We just have the same class,” Youngjae said. He’s still peeved at the fact he was accused of being a stalker.

“Okay sorry about before,” coffee boy said, “but why were you staring at me?”

“I was not staring, just looking in the general direction,” Youngjae defended.

“No, you were staring alright,” he insisted.

After cursing coffee boy in his mind for being so sharp, he gave in. “Okay, I was staring but I was making sure.”

“About what?”

“If you were the guy from yesterday at the coffee shop,” Youngjae answered.

“Coffee shop?” coffee boy asked.

Youngjae looked at him, “Yeah I spilled my coffee all over you.” he wondered how dense this guy could be if he didn’t remember. He looked on as coffee boy had a confused look on his face. Youngjae was almost relieved at the possibility that he may have gotten the wrong person.

“Now I remember,” coffee boy suddenly said. Youngjae internally hit himself.

“Yeah, sorry again. Are you okay?” Youngjae asked. Coffee boy laughed which made Youngjae hopeful he wasn’t in serious trouble.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just a small burn but it’s healed,” coffee boy replied. Youngjae sighed in relief.

“Were you worried about that this whole time?”

“Yes like you couldn’t imagine!” Youngjae exclaimed, “I thought for sure you’d hit me or just curse me out.”

“No, I’m not that mean. It’s not like you did it on purpose,” coffee boy said.

“Thanks, I worried for nothing,” Youngjae replied, “But I still am sorry.”

“It’s alright, just forget about it.”

Youngjae smiled and turned around when Jackson called for him. He stood up and looked back at coffee boy.

“I’m Youngjae by the way, welcome to our school,” Youngjae introduced himself.

Coffee boy stood up and smiled, “Thanks, my name’s Jaebum.”

 

A/N: Hey guys, I'm back! I hoped you guys enjoyed this update.

Until whenever...