Chapter 2: Phase 2

According To Plan

You found yourself swaying to the music with Soonyoung, in a similar fashion to the couples around you. His hair was dark in color, and the suit he wore was black. The only bit of color on him was the deep purple tie he wore. “I was beginning to wonder if you were even here.” You say as you follow his lead. “I was just laying low.” He says while looking off to the side, in the direction you came from. You smile, “Well, you pulled me out of a sticky situation, I can always count on you.” His ears turn red slightly, just enough for you to notice. Before you can comment, he changes the subject away from him and on to you, “Look at you. You look…” He takes a step back, in order to get a proper look at you. “Wow.”

You smack his arm, flustered by his remark, “I'll take that as a compliment.”

He smiles, replying, “You should.”

Over the ear piece you hear someone clear their throat, like someone does to get your attention, “Just in case you forgot, we do have a mission we need to continue.”

You decided to not address Wonwoo, and you reach to slip the card key into Soonyoung’s pocket. You pat the now concealed card and teasingly say, “Don't lose it.”

He chuckles as he stops dancing, “I won't. I don't think I could handle watching you dance with another guy to get a card again.”

You laugh, “I was joking.”

“I know,” he says with a pause before continuing, “but I wasn't.”

His movements came to a stop, and, following his lead, so did you. “Let's finish this job.” He says, determination filling his eyes, and he holds up his fist in a 'fighting’ gesture.

He reached for your hand, without thinking twice, and gently pulled you in the direction of the rendezvous point. You followed his pull, walking slightly behind him. You didn't pay any attention to those around you, solely focused on Soonyoung's hand. The warmth you felt his hand giving yours was comforting and something you could only associate with Soonyoung. It confused you just as much as it made sense. You felt this way because it was Soonyoung. You looked ahead, setting your eyes on the back of your guide’s head. It was then that you noticed that he would glance back at you every now and then, as if making sure you were still there, before smiling as he sets his eyes on you before facing ahead again. There wasn't a need for him to do this, your hand still in his was enough to tell him of your presence. Though you found it to be endearing all the same.

You were pulled from your thoughts by a voice calling out, “_________. Soonyoung. How nice of you to join us.” You looked up to the two men standing in front of you, dressed in suits, one blue and one red tie, and matching grins on their faces. You approached the shorter of the two, silent. He must of picked up on your frustration, directed at him, and took a step back. “________, did I tell you, that you look nice tonight.” You ignored his attempt at flattery, instead swinging your dominant arm up and connecting your open palm to his shoulder, once, “Back,” twice, “Left,” thrice, “pocket.”

He laughed, “Come on, ______. It was a funny.”

You glowered at Wonwoo, “Knowing that you read, I would think you were capable of coming up with a more fit word, like embarrassing.”

The taller of the bunch took his turn to speak, “It was a little funny.” You turned your glare onto him for his words, he quickly turned away, as you addressed him, “I would have liked to think that you wouldn't do this to me, Mingyu.”

He shook his head, “I wouldn't, but your reaction was funny.”

You sigh with a shake of your head, trying to fight the small smile that was playing at your lips.

“______. You know I wouldn't do that to you, right?” Soonyoung asks with a slight tilt of his head to your direction.

“Of course.”

“He would only ask if it was himself on the receiving end.” Wonwoo said, as he leaned over towards Mingyu, one hand covering his mouth trying, and failing, to keep quiet.

“Yah! Jeon Wonwoo.” Soonyoung exclaims, his face flushed by the insinuations Wonwoo was making. “Okay,” you call to get the three men’s attention, before things got too out of hand, “Let's begin the next phase of the mission.”

------------

At the beginning of this phase, things were running smoothly. You avoided detection and there were no unexpected delays, everything was going according to plan. You should have known that your good luck would end at some point.

As your group turned the corner, all movement stopped as you stared at the unexpected obstacle.

“This wasn't in the debriefing, “ Mingyu quietly states the obvious. You stared at the light green laser sensors that extend down half the hallway. They were crossing from one side of the wall, both high and low. Getting pass this would be no walk in the park. You call out to Jihoon, “There is a delay on this route, is there any other way around.”

There was a small pause before you got a reply, “There is another way, but that would require a lot of backtracking. It would take too long at this point.” You turned and looked at Soonyoung, who was too preoccupied with studying the lasers. “I’ll see if there is anything I can do.”

Soonyoung shrugged off his suit jacket. He passed his suit jacket to you before he began to loosen his tie, “I think I can get through.”

He slips through the tie off his head and passes it to you. After receiving it, you question, “Are you sure? Shouldn't we wait to see if Jihoon can find another way?”

He smiles as he begins to stretch his body in preparation for the task up ahead, “Yeah. I'd rather try and see if I can get through, then wait for something that might not happen.” He moved over to the right wall, and began to carefully lift his leg over the sensor. As he placed his foot onto the ground safely, you moved your eyes up to his face just in time to see a smile stretch its way across his face. “One down, one hundred ninety-nine more laser to go,” Wonwoo called out, serving as a reminder to Soonyoung that he still had a long way to go. Soonyoung chose to reply with a quick glare in Wonwoo’s direction. Showing your support for Soonyoung you grab his attention, “Be careful.” As if he wasn't about to go through a field of sensors that could potentially ruin your progress on the mission, he smiled brightly shooting you a thumbs up in assurance. He turned and faced the obstacle ahead and, with a deep breath, he took a second step forward.

Soonyoung was making his way through the crisscross lasers. He took his time, not wanting to mess up. You stood, watching him move carefully and thought how well Soonyoung was fit for this job. He was light on his feet, precise, and serious when he needed to be. There wasn't any noise, except when Soonyoung would make a noise as he was going through a tough spot. On more than one occasion, you noticed that you would stop breathing, as if your stillness would help Soonyoung along. Soonyoung’s current predicament, was one such instance. He was slowly moving his arms under a sensor, preparing to move his torso under. You could feel yourself holding your breath, and in that moment the green lasers flickered, then disappeared completely from sight . There was a moment of absolute stillness, until it was ended by the duo besides you. They both laughed at Soonyoung, who was still stooped as if the lasers were still active. You took a step forward, were the laser initially began and kicked out you foot. Since there was no negative response, you assumed that Jihoon was able to clear your path. You turned your head to Soonyoung, with who just stood up straight and leaned his back against the wall, his head casted downward. Before you could head over to check on him, the voice of your small genius, “I was able to bypass the system and gain control of their security. I doubt this will go unnoticed, so make haste, and pick up the pace.”

“_______, Mingyu and I are going to run ahead, just to make sure there are no delays. Don't take too long now.” Wonwoo says as he begins heading down the corridor you watch them go for a moment, seeing them make a right and disappear from sight.

You approach Soonyoung, who was currently stretching again. Noticing you, he faced you his right arm up, resting his hand on the back of his neck, chuckling as he said, “Well that was embarrassing.”

“At least,” You began as you gestured Soonyoung to come closer to you, “You didn't make it all the way through before Jihoon was able to shut the them down.” Soonyoung came close, leaving less than an arms length between you and quietly replies, “True.” You loop the tie back around his head and fasten it into place. You silently help him into his suit jacket, immersed in the comfortable silence between the two of you. He faces you and you smile as you notice his collar sticks up, contrasting the rest of his outfit. You reach out, in order to fix it and watch as Soonyoung bends forward a little, making it easier for you. “There.” You simply state as you take a step back from Soonyoung.

He smiles wide at you, “Thanks.”

“Anytime.”

“Were almost done with this mission, the targeted location is just ahead, right?” Soonyoung asks as you both begin to follow in the steps of your other teammates. You replied with a nod, “We should be done within 10 minutes. That is, if everything runs smoothly from now on.”

It took you both about two minutes to reach your team, who stood besides a door. “Okay.” Wonwoo spoke into the earpiece, informing the rest of the team, “We are ready to begin the final stage.”

Okay, stand by.” Jihoon replied quickly. It was just a moment before he continued, “Up to this point, It seems like you are still undetected. Minghao did an outside sweep and there is no guard activity. Chan and Vernon say there is no movement in the ballroom as well. You may proceed, but do so with caution. Keep us updated.” You look up and see that Soonyoung is already looking at you, you smile lightly, a small message. He takes the key card out of his pocket, “The might pick up our presence after opening the door let's be quick.” He slid the card, and a moment later the panel turned green and, with a high pitched *beep*, the door slid open.