Fairy Merry

Merryland

The grand master was having a hard time teaching the Merry boys. Not only Ryeowook kept hiding from him but Kyuhyun behaved in a clingy way. It didn’t help that Prince Sungmin was now a naughty boy since his father wasn’t around. 

 

“My prince, the bird can not stay here” - The poor grand master asked as he carried the youngest Merry - “It does not belong here” 

 

“It does!!” - Sungmin protested as the bird got shocked - “He likes me!” 

 

“My prince—“ 

 

“I think is useless to discuss with him” - Heechul yawned - “please allow him to bring that bird or you will never teach us something” 

 

The grand master grunted. He hated being lectured by a child but he had to admit the Merry boy was right; they had lost a precious time fighting over that bird. 

 

“Fine” - The grand master sighed - “Follow me, kids. Prince Sungmin you too please” 

 

“Where is my daddy?” - Sungmin asked once again. He had asked the same question at least ten times already - “Why isn’t he back?” 

 

“He went on a journey to find a magic tree or something like that” - Heechul stretched - “He is probably lost” 

 

“Hey! How many times I told you to not read my correspondence! “ - the grand master complained after realizing Heechul probably read the letters sent to him once again - “I have told you several times—“ 

 

“To not read them, I know” - Heechul twisted his lips - “But I cant stop thinking about the king. He is a nice person and I don’t want anything bad to happen to him” 

 

The grand master looked at the Merry boys. They didn’t have the fault of what was going on and yet, all of them seemed to carry the guilt for the bad things that happened. 

 

“We are cursed” - Heechul told him once - “Maybe you shouldn’t let prince Sungmin to play with us” 

 

It had been three days since the king left and the grand master still couldn’t figure a way to grow closer to the kids. They seemed afraid of adults and unlike Heechul, the second Merry, they all preferred to stay away and not talk when he was around. Lucky for him, Leeteuk’s friendship with the baker had helped the kid to develop some abilities the grand master didn’t expect to see coming from a young boy that never received a proper education. 

 

“That’s magic” - The grand master inspected one of the last cupcakes the kid baked with help - “are you sure... you did not...?” 

 

“I did not teach him that” - The chef smiled sweetly - “I taught him to multiply and so but never pronounced a single spell in front of him” 

 

“Where did he learn this?” - The grand master observed mesmerized - “This kind of magic...is not something you see everyday” 

 

“Are you sure you haven’t seen any other Merry child playing with magic? “ - the chef sighed - “I seriously don’t mind the kid playing with magic inside my kitchen but I do not know if the others also know how to perform this kind of tricks” 

 

“I know the second Merry also performs magic. He is clever and keeps reading my correspondence without troubles” 

 

“UEWAAAA!” - the purple haired Merry whined - “WAAAAH!” 

 

“That One... is driving me crazy” - The grand master hurried to hold the baby - “I’m pretty much sure I have seen his face somewhere else” 

 

[][][][][][][] [][][][][][][] [][][][][][][] [][][][][][][] [][][][][][][] [][][][][][][]

 

“My, my” - King Liu took a deep sigh - “The Merry boy was not wrong at all” 

 

“We could have arrived earlier if it wasn’t for that horse, your majesty” - One of the knights teased - “Its like riding a snail” 

 

“Thank you” - King Liu laughed - “Do not worry my friend. This horse probably just needs to rest” 

 

“A magic tree should be easy to spot” - the knight kept chatting - “According to our maps, it should be around here” 

 

“I have a bad feeling about it” - The king worried - “Its been a while since someone came to this place. Not even the bravest warrior of the whole land would dare to come here alone” 

 

“Not even me” - the Knight joked - “I do appreciate my life, my king” 

 

“I have a son” - King Liu smiled - “I have more than one reason to come back alive” 

 

“Me too, my lord” - The Knight smiled sweetly- “I was also blessed. The goddess gave me a son” 

 

The king only smiled. He already had listened to that story several times. Even if that man was a respectable Knight, a brave warrior and a good person, people still found difficult to believe such a fairytale. The man had rece from his trip to the east, not only drunk but claiming to have found a goddess that took a liking in him. Not only he was lost in the woods for several weeks, but also claimed to have lived with a girl whose charm could make the flowers dance. He described that girl several times, but she was never found. A few months later, he found a baby in his house and without even doubting it, the man had adopted the kid as his own. People still found unbelievable the fact a baby would appear at his house  and considered it a trick to justify his story. Even years later, King Liu wouldn’t know the truth behind the story. 

 

“He is growing strong willed just like his father” - the proud Knight kept talking about his son - “He is so handsome. He has his mother’s eyes” 

 

King Liu heard some other knights giggling. They often thought that the man was just delusional. 

 

“Stop” - King Liu suddenly raised his arm - “Be careful” 

 

“For all the kingdoms” - one knight left out - “What happened..?” 

 

King Liu inspected the dark ashes of what once was a sacred tree. It seemed like if someone had cut its branches and then decided to burn the rest. He could hear a weak voice that sang a weird song. A song, King Liu thought he would never listen again. 

 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

 

The grandmaster couldn’t stop wandering around the castle. He kept holding the purple haired Merry boy as it seemed to be the only way he stopped crying. 

 

“Something does not make sense” - The tired man pulled his hair as soon as he took a sit - “These kids... their story... I’m probably missing something” 

 

“Chsst” 

 

“Uh? Is someone here?” - The grandmaster rushed to inspect the library - “Prince Sungmin? Are you here?” 

 

“I’m not a prince” - Heechul wiped his runny nose - “Just someone that hates dust” 

 

“I am afraid that the King’s library is not a place where kids should play” - The grandmaster scolded - “However, curiosity is something I like” 

 

“It’s been a while since I had new books to read” - Heechul confessed - “I... learned to read long ago but, I had no money for buying books. I only read those that the people would throw away” 

 

For a moment, the grandmaster felt a little connection. He thought that he could get more information about the Merry boys if he grew closer to one of them. 

 

“What do you like to read?” - The grandmaster smiled - “I have plenty books that will be more than suitable for a curious young lad like you” 

 

“I like fairytales” - Heechul blushed - “Kind of childish but... I like those” 

 

“I think I have a big book about those” - The grandmaster nodded - “I’m sure we will find it at Prince Sungmin’s bedroom” 

 

“Does he read?” - Heechul asked amused 

 

“A little bit” - The grandmaster made a sweet expression - “He is not that fond of books but he took a liking on that one. I think is because his mother also liked it and somehow, he can feel that” 

 

“His mother? The queen?” - Heechul looked around - “Is she dead?” 

 

“I am afraid she is. She died when the young prince was born” 

 

“Oh... what a pity” - Heechul pouted - “I bet she was nice” 

 

“She was a really nice woman indeed” - The grandmaster agreed - “A mysterious one” 

 

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} 

 

“Is he alive?” 

 

“How you know is a ‘he’?” 

 

“My King, that kid—“ 

 

The strange boy woke up violently. He seemed to be scared as he just tried to move desperately. 

 

“I wouldn’t do that, my friend” - King Liu sat next to the frightened boy - “I’m afraid you have more than one broken bone” 

 

“How come he survived that fall?” - The knights kept talking between them - “He is just a boy” 

 

“I... fell...?” - the strange boy held his head - “I hit... my head...” 

 

“Yes, you did” - King Liu patted the boy’s arm - “Do you recall what happened?” 

 

“Fire” - The boy shivered - “The woods. The tree... I have to go back... the sacred tree—“ 

 

“It’s gone” - King Liu made a sad expression - “I’m so sorry. I do not know what happened but it was turned to ashes. We found you a few meters away from it. You were covered in blood and it seemed like if you have fallen from somewhere” 

 

“No... it can’t be gone” - The boy shook his head - “No way! No way! I— I —- did I fail? I can not fail! If I fail... everything will be lost...” 

 

“I think he hit his head more than we thought” - one knight whispered 

 

“I have no time left” - the boy cried - “My life is coming to an end... and I— I was supposed to protect it until the new one came” 

 

“My friend” - King Liu could feel the strange aura coming from the boy - “Who Are you?” 

 

“I’m the king fairy” - The boy cried - “Or at least... I was” 

 

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

 

“My King, that boy obviously lost his mind long ago” 

 

“Do not listen to him” 

 

“He is nothing but a confused boy” 

 

“The tree... it is really gone?” - The strange boy asked - “Did... I... lost?” 

 

“Maybe you should have some rest first” - King Liu urged - “The healers are on their way. I’m sure they will help you with those broken bones” 

 

“I don’t care about my bones” - the boy said calmly - “They can just repair themselves... but that tree... the sacred tree... it may take years before it grows back” 

 

“Why is that tree so important?” - the curious knight asked 

 

“The sacred tree helps to control the magic that surrounds this land” - The boy explained - “If the tree is not around, people could start using magic for... for...” 

 

“A war, maybe” - King Liu still remembered those days - “The grandmaster likes to scare me with his storytelling about the last war” 

 

“Is not only a story to scare children” - The boy’s eyes filled with sorrow - “It’s real. Magic can be really dangerous if not used well” 

 

“I know” - King Liu twisted his lips. He still remembered Sungmin’s curse. 

 

“No... you have no idea” - The weak boy pulled his cotton like hair - “You weren’t there” 

 

“My friend, I do not wish to be rude” - The cheerful knight approached- “But you are just a boy. There is no way you could have lived that war” 

 

“I already told you” - The boy smiled a bit - “I’m the king fairy. Im no human. I... I am 102 years old” 

 

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

 

“Faiwwwwwwis” - Ryeowook kept interrupting Heechul’s reading time - “Appppweeeeeee” 

 

“Yes, a fairy with an apple” - Heechul observed the picture Ryeowook kept pointing at - “It looks like you” 

 

“Me” - Ryeowook pointed at his hair - “Chewy” 

 

Heechul only smiled. He knew the boy probably meant ‘Cherry’, a nickname other kids gave him because of his hair color. Heechul was about to resume his reading when he heard the fuss at the halls. 

 

“I wonder what they did now” - Heechul told the young cherry Merry - “Lets go” 

 

The scene wasn’t clear at first. It took Heechul a while to understand what was the cause of the commotion: a big colourful flower that just blossomed at the middle of nowhere. 

 

“Magic...?” - The grandmaster inspected - “No way... this is... who did this?” 

 

The maids turned to the kids. Heechul could feel Leeteuk’s distress as he tried to hid one of the younger children behind himself. 

 

“We we—re just— pwayin’—-“ - Donghae sobbed - “And— it it it—- fell! The see’ fell” 

 

“A seed?” - The grandmaster approached the scared kid - “How...?” 

 

“Hyukkie did it!” - Donghae cried - “We sorry!” 

 

Leeteuk pressed Eunhyuk’s face against his chest. The grandmaster could see the fear in the boy’s eyes. 

 

“Has this happened before?” - The old man kneeled to be the same height that the younger boy - “Have you touched a seed and made it sprout before?” 

 

Eunhyuk nodded. He kept crying silently as Leeteuk held him. 

 

“Well, thats not... bad” - The old man tried - “It’s just... that I did not expect young children knowing to cast such spells” 

 

“No one ever taught us” - Leeteuk said in a worried voice - “Sometimes... happens” 

 

“Maybe we should discuss this somewhere else” - the grand master ruffled Leeteuk’s hair - “I wonder if you guys like hot cocoa” 

 

“Chocolate?” - Eunhyuk’s face was back to life 

 

“Yes” - The grandmaster pinched Eunhyuk’s cheeks - “We could also have some cookies” 

 

“COOOKIEEEEE!” - Ryeowook chirped excited - “COOKIIIEEEEEE!” 

 

“Why are you being nice with us?” - Leeteuk asked - “We usually get scolded when this things...” 

 

“Not here, young lad” - The old man smiled - “I would never punish an innocent child for something he can’t understand” 

 

“Is not only Eunhyuk” - Leeteuk got the chills - “Donghae too” 

 

“Do you make flowers blossom?” - The grand master carried the happy child that just tilted his head - “What’s your magic?” 

 

“We don’t really know... yet” - Heechul sighed - “He is good with animals, though” 

 

“Different talents, uhm?” - The old man seemed amused - “Eunhyuk is good with plants and Donghae with animals” 

 

“Are we weird?” - Yesung asked shyly - “Is that Why we bring bad luck?” 

 

“No” - The grandmaster shook his head - “You are just very special” 

 

“Cookie...” - Ryeowook pouted as he pulled the grandmaster’s cloak 

 

“Sorry, I forgot” - The old man smiled - “let’s go” 

 

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ *^*^*^*^*^*^*^ *^*^*^*^*^*^*^ *^*^*^*^*^*^*^

 

“I always thought it was just...” 

 

“A fairytale?” - The king fairy teased as he drank tea - “I am truly sorry, but I am the one to blame. After the big war, our numbers decreased very dangerously and... I decided it would be the best to hide ourselves. I just wanted...” 

 

There was a long pause. King Liu could not miss the fairy ’s sad expression once he started drinking tea again. 

 

“I lost a lot” - The fairy continued - “I only had that tree left. Everyday I told myself that if I was able to keep that tree alive until my successor arrived, I would not have wasted my life” 

 

“Successor?” 

 

“I already told you: I’m running out of time” - The fairy frowned - “I... my magic... I’m paying a high price because of something I did during the war. It was the only way to end it but...every magic has a price” 

 

“You are going to die” - King Liu widened his eyes 

 

“I wish I had already died” - The fairy’s eyes didn’t lie - “Living 102 years can be a painful experience if you don’t have anyone to share your time with. I lost my love, my sister, my friends... I lost everyone” 

 

“You can not die” - King Liu urged - “Not until you help me to stop this madness” 

 

“We need to find my successor” - The fairy nodded - “If we do that... then I can die and you will have help” 

 

“Where is your successor?” 

 

“The problem is... I don’t even know if I have one...?” - The fairy made a weird expression - “Fairies aren’t that common nowadays and not any fairy can become the king fairy” 

 

“Sounds complicated” - King Liu felt his head spinning - “Do we have any chance of finding your successor? How would he looks like?” 

 

“I don’t know” - The fairy shrank his shoulders - “Have you met a child with a funny hair color?” 

 

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

 

“What happened to the fairies?” - Heechul asked with his mouth still full of cupcakes- “Did they go extinct?” 

 

“Heechul, your manners” - Leeteuk scolded 

 

“Some people think they just hid themselves in the woods, some people think they never existed” - The grandmaster smiled - “History isn’t an exact science” 

 

“Why would they hide? Are they scared of humans?” - Heechul helped Kibum to reach a new cookie - “was it because of the war?” 

 

“You read a lot, didn’t you?” - the old man seemed proud - “I do not know the truth behind it, but some old scrolls say that fairies participated at wars to keep the balance between our world. Apparently, they owned special abilities that made them really good at magic” 

 

“Like us?” - Heechul grinned 

 

“Heechul” - Leeteuk hissed scared 

 

“Maybe” - The grandmaster was amused by Heechul’s way of thinking - “Are you a fairy?” 

 

“I hope so” - The blue haired boy smiled widely - “That would be so cool” 

 

“Fairies do not exist” - Yesung pouted - “And if they did, I bet they wouldn’t bring bad luck” 

 

“That’s right” - Heechul twisted his lips - “What a pity” 

 

“I don’t care if you are a fairy or not” - the grand master lifted the sad boys’s chins - “But I can teach you magic” 

 

“I dont know if that is a good idea” - Leeteuk worried - “Magic can be dangerous...” 

 

“Please teach us” - The blue haired Merry was now excited - “I promise I won’t use it against this kingdom” 

 

============================================

 

“And they are all orphans?” - The king fairy asked curious- “All of them?” 

 

“Well, Yeah” - King Liu was now confused- “Their mothers—“ 

 

“All died while giving birth” - The king fairy smiled - “They all died” 

 

“That’s not something you should be happy for” - King Liu scolded - “Those kids have had a hard life” 

 

“Of course” - The king Fairy sat with a dark expression - “They are hunting them down” 

 

“Excuse me?” 

 

“Those kids” - The fairy fixed his hair - “The Merry boys... they are probably half fairy. Their blood is special” 

 

“Slow down” - King Liu shook his head - “Wait what?” 

 

“They are in danger” - The fairy’s eyes moved fast - “All of them! My successor could be one of them! And and... oh, goodness” 

 

“Hey!” - King Liu couldn’t avoid raising his voice as soon as the fairy jumped out of the bed - “Where are you going?” 

 

“We don’t have time” - The fairy urged - “You told me you were missing some of them, didn’t you? Those kids could die at any moment! “ 

 

“The missing Merry boys...” - King Liu worried 

 

“We need to save them. That’s why you came all the way here” - The short fairy stood next to King Liu - “That’s why you traveled back in time” 

 

“How did you—?” 

 

“I will explain it to you later” - The fairy smiled playfully - “By The way, my name is Niell” 

 

“N-niell?” 

 

“Ung! That’s me” - The fairy smiled sweetly. It was a smile King Liu still saved in his memories even after so many years. 

 

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

 

“My, my” - the cheerful knight complained as he helped with the horses - “I guess we are not heading back home tonight... Wait for me, Siwon... Dad will go back as soon as he can”