Cursed heart

Merryland

King Liu was sitting on his throne ready to start another day. It had been three weeks since that incident with the big living doll and Niell started living with them. So far, things haven’t changed that much. The Merry boys’s abilities were yet to be found and the investigation towards their birth remained as a mystery. 

 

“I feel like if we are heading nowhere” - King Liu sighed after he spotted his own son chasing a cat - “Sungmin, you better be careful! We don’t want another broken arm!”

 

“Ugh” - The prince stopped in his tracks and puffed his cheeks - “It wasn’t liwe that! Minnie was hewping a bird!”

 

“Yes, sure you were” - King Liu chuckled - “But you can get another broken bone if you fall” 

 

“Don’t thin’ so” - Sungmin replied cheekily- “Catch me!” 

 

“Sungmin, be careful!” 

 

“Oh my” - Niell complained when the young boy crashed with him - “Ah, Sungmin. You shouldn’t run inside the castle. It’s dangerous” 

 

“Uhum” - Sungmin pouted. 

 

King Liu sighed. He didn’t understand why, but his naughty son often listened better to Niell. Maybe it was because he respected him. Even if the king fairy seemed strict, he was like another child. King Liu often worried they weren’t making any progress when it came to changing the future but Niell remained calm. 

 

“So... Do you have any news?” - King Liu smiled as he saw some of the Merry boys playing at the garden with the young prince - “How is Heechul doing?”

 

“Same” - Niell shook his head - “I don’t know how much damage he received in exchange of the magic he used. I don’t know if he is waking up today, tomorrow, in two years...” 

 

“If he ever does so” - King Liu bit his lips - “There must be a cure. There must be something we can do” 

 

“I’m more worried about the pink haired one” - Niell scratched his head - “It’s been days since he ate. He refuses to leave his side...” 

 

“It can’t be helped, they are like family” - King Liu understood Leeteuk’s feelings - “I cant just ask him to abandon his friend” 

 

“His magic... it’s gone” - Niell took a deep breath - “The peachy Merry haven’t showed any type of magic in the past days. When it comes to fairies, that’s usually a bad symptom. His health is deteriorating” 

 

“I will talk to him” - King Liu pitied the boys - “And you, my friend...” 

 

“I know I know” - Niell nodded - “Try to find out their powers. I promise I will give you my report this afternoon. I think I have found at least four of them” 

 

“Sounds better than nothing” - King Liu smiled a bit - “I will be waiting for it” 

 

{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-

 

“I won’t leave him alone” - Leeteuk protested - “He is my friend! Heechul needs me!” 

 

“See?” - The grand master rolled his eyes as he rocked the purple haired baby - “He won’t listen” 

 

“My friend, Heechul’s condition is the same today” - King Liu tried again - “I’m afraid he won’t wake up today either. You should take a rest” 

 

“I... If something happens to him... what will I do? He is my family...” - Leeteuk cried - “I don’t want to lose him!”

 

“Big bwothew is cwying!” - Sungmin chirped from behind - “Minnie hewps!”

 

“Oh no, Minnie has done enough today” - The grand master rushed to grab the boy’s arm before the kid tried anything - “King Niell was supposed to look after you” 

 

“Uh? Mr Fairy is pwaying with Minnie’s new doll!” - Sungmin laughed hysterically

 

“New?” - Both adults grew concerned 

 

 

“NIELL!” - The grand master shouted from the window as he spotted the fairy having a duel with some kind of new living doll - “IN NAME OF ALL GODS!” 

 

“Sorry!” - Niell did his best to avoid his opponent’s punch - “It was just a little test!”

 

“Don’t we have enough problems with magic?” - the grand master complained as the purple haired baby laughed excited - “Why would Niell just create another one?”

 

“Maybe he didn’t” - King Liu spotted the third Merry hiding behind a bush - “Maybe it was an accident” 

 

“I won! I defeated it!” - Niell showed off his abilities with the sword 

 

“Cut his head!” - Kangin clapped - “Cmon Niell!”

 

“Yesssssss!” - Eunhyuk and Donghae were excited from the duel 

 

“Bad” - Kibum did a sad expression - “Problems” 

 

“Uh?” - King Liu had no time to understand what Kibum meant until Niell squeaked 

 

“T-That was close” - Niell was sweating - “I didn’t see him coming...” 

 

Ryeowook was shivering as Niell’s sword pointed at him. The boy had eyes filled with tears. 

 

“He is going to cry” - Niell gulped down - “I’m so sorry friend. Are you hurt?”

 

“No... Hurt... doll...” - Ryeowook managed to say as he tried to push Niell away - “Pwease...” 

 

“Alright, Alright” - Niell felt guilty - “But this one can’t stay. I’m afraid is too dangerous for you to play with. This one is strong” 

 

Ryeowook gasped when the King fairy approached the stuffed guardian. 

 

“Sleep, my friend” - Niell took a deep breath and took care of the doll - “Now is back to normal” 

 

“Did you end it?” - Yesung asked scared - “I swear I didn’t want to do it...” 

 

“Isn’t this one of Sungmin’s dolls?” - King Liu lifted the now inert doll - “How come...?”

 

“Ehem” - Niell cleared his throat and pointed at Yesung - “I’m glad to announce I have finally found that fella’s magic!” 

 

“Niell” - King Liu urged - “not here” 

 

“Kids, let’s have a lesson” - the grand master rushed the kids to the castle - “You have played enough” 

 

“Ahhhhh” - the Merry boys complained 

 

Niell sighed. He was sure the Merry boys preferred to stay learning magic with him rather than getting bored learning to read. 

 

“You better have—“ 

 

“I swear I have it” - Niell interrupted - “No one got hurt. I made sure of that. Sorry, I must have warned you” 

 

“It’s alright. Let’s just forget about that” - King Liu sat on a bench - “What did you find out?” 

 

“Starting from the youngest Merry to the eldest one...” - Niell tried to remember it well - “The baby still haven’t showed his powers. The red haired one... he is a mystery. I don’t get what’s with him” 

 

“You mean Ryeowook” 

 

“Yeah Yeah, I don’t know all their names yet” - Niell shook his head and yawned - “However, the little Merry with white hair, his ability is the easiest one to spot: foresight” 

 

“Foresight?” 

 

“He can see the future” - Niell chirped - “I think is quite amazing but sadly for us, since he is still young, I can’t tell how far his ability goes. I’m not sure if he can only see what is going to happen in the next few minutes or if he can go further than that” 

 

“Thats so...” - King Liu was shocked 

 

“Then we have the stupid couple” - Niell grinned - “Booger Merry and dumb Merry” 

 

“Niell” 

 

“The green haired one and the orange head” - Niell giggled - “Green haired boy has some control over plants and his friend over animals. It’s a good combination” 

 

“Eunhyuk’s abilities...?” - King Liu was trying to understand - “and Donghae’s...” 

 

“Kangin is a rascal but I haven’t found magic or anything similar in him” - Niell did a funny face - “Ah, the fodder haired one! That one does have magic! And a curious one to be fair” 

 

“Fodder... Yesung” - King Liu couldn’t believe Niell had such a memory for names 

 

“Yes! Yesung” - Niell repeated - “You see, this one is a little trickier” 

 

“How is that?” 

 

“It’s hard to understand it” - Niell stretched- “But summarizing, let’s just say that the kid’s weapon can be found nearly everywhere” 

 

“A needle?” - King Liu took the object the fairy offered him - “How come a needle could make such a fuss?” 

 

“For this magic to work full potential, several conditions must take place” - Niell explained - “First, the kid should use a needle to sew and, if he wants to add life to his doing... he must bleed” 

 

“Blood? Are you serious?”

 

“Only a drop of it would do the trick” - Niell grinned - “The kid had prickled his finger when sewing and that was what caused those living dolls. I couldn’t understand the conditions the first time but today I realized it when I saw the boy’s finger” 

 

“Wow” - King Liu smiled pleased - “You have worked hard, Niell” 

 

“Oh no, don’t thank me yet” - Niell got cocky - “There is still more. Peachy Merry is sure an ally you would like to have but his magic is really difficult to understand”

 

“How difficult Can be?” 

 

“I’m not totally sure of the number” - Niell raised one finger - “But he possess more than one magic” 

 

“Is that even possible?” - King Liu worried - “I thought—“ 

 

“Probably his bloodline is stronger than the others” - Niell grimaced- “Stronger fairies will produce stronger children” 

 

“However, since we don’t know who their parents were... we cant know how will the others develop” 

 

“I can only assure you one thing: Sungmin is  my nephew” - Niell turned serious - “Whatever his magic is, it must be really strong” 

 

 

[_][_][_][_] [_][_][_][_] [_][_][_][_] [_][_][_][_] [_][_][_][_] [_][_][_][_] [_][_][_][_]

 

 

“Have you found the child?” - the man covered in a cloak raged - “We need that child” 

 

“Someone said they spotted a chubby kid at the blacksmith’s house” - Another man replied 

 

“Apparently, the kid has exhibited some weird ‘things’ and has all neighbours interested” 

 

“It must be one of the kids we are looking for” - The man in the cloak grinned - “Dont you think so, Hannie? Do you want to have a brother?” 

 

“Please... I just want to go home...” - The silver haired boy cried - “Just let me go” 

 

“I’m afraid that’s something we can’t do” - the man touched the boy’s face - “After all, you are our precious boy” 

 

“No! Please! Don’t!” - Hangeng tried to resist- “I don’t want to! PLEASE!” 

 

 

“PAPA! PAPA!” - Sungmin was crying out loud 

 

“Whats wrong with him? It’s almost midnight!” - Niell was floating next to the king 

 

“He is still young” - King Liu smiled a bit as he embraced his son - “Its probably just a nightmare... But he is actually pretty hot” 

 

“Fever? Why is he sick now?” - Niell tilted his head as he worried - “He was fine just hours ago” 

 

“Kids get sick all time” - King Liu carried the scared boy - “Go back to sleep, Niell. I will take care of him” 

 

“Kyuhyun woke up again” - The grand master was now awake as well - “I don’t know which kind of magic he has, but I can tell he could be a singer. Good lungs the ones he got” 

 

 

Two hours later, Niell kept floating around the castle. He felt restless. He knew he was missing something. 

 

(Nella... Your son is so much like you...) 

 

“Maybe we should call the healers” 

 

“I heard he is not getting better” 

 

“Excuse me, ma’am” - Niell interrupted the gossiping women - “Whats wrong?”

 

“Prince Sungmin got sick” - The women whispered - “But unfortunately, we haven’t been able to help that much. He is just getting worse and—“

 

(. I should have known) 

 

“Niell...” - King Liu was obviously drained - “Niell, go back to sleep... I already called the healers they will be here in no time” 

 

“They won’t help” - Niell placed both hands on the kid’s forehead - “I suspected it. This is some kind of magic. A very powerful one, indeed” 

 

“It cant be... we are still years away from the curse...” - King Liu paled 

 

Niell remained silent. He focused on lowering down the fever and helping the child. 

 

(I’m missing something. But what? I’m sure I have felt this magic before... This is weird. Where is all this magic coming from?) 

 

“This should help” - Niell felt terrible weak - “I...I need to take a b-break...” 

 

Everything turned dark to the fairy. 

 

 

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

 

“Where am I?” - Niell tried to get up - “It hurts...” 

 

“You fainted” - King Liu was next to him - “Niell, you should take it easy” 

 

“Hey... Your clothes...” - Niell shook his head - “How long...?”

 

“A whole day” - King Liu smiled - “I don’t know how to thank you—“ 

 

“Sungmin” - Niell remembered - “Where is he? I mean, how—“ 

 

“He is fine” - King Liu chuckled - “All thanks to you. He recovered really fast and is giving Ahn Hyang a hard time” 

 

“Oh” - Niell smiled a bit - “Then I guess everything is alright...” 

 

“There is more” - King Liu held his hand - “Heechul woke up just hours ago” 

 

Niell couldn’t smile. He shook his head and without warning, got out of the big bed. His sore body ached. He could hear King Liu calling him over and over again. 

 

“You” - Niell found the blue haired boy still in his bed

 

“Who are you?” - Heechul asked cheekily - “Oh! Are you that fairy?” 

 

“Heechul he is not ‘that’ fairy” - Leeteuk hissed - “He is the king” 

 

“Niell!” - King Liu finally arrived 

 

“This... this is...” - Niell cleaned some frosting from the boy’s cheeks and turned to Leeteuk - “You...” 

 

“I— I swear I baked enough for everybody” - Leeteuk got scared - “I just thought he would like to eat something sweet...”

 

“And I feel better now” - Heechul stretched - “It’s a pity I missed the cookies” 

 

“What do you mean? I haven’t baked cookies in a long time” - Leeteuk shook his head 

 

“Don’t play innocent! My bed was full of crumbs when I woke up!” - Heechul stuck out his tongue - “Someone was eating cookies here!” 

 

“I didnt!” - Leeteuk protested after the accusations 

 

“Cookies...” - Niell repeated - “Cookies...” 

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t make those” - Leeteuk rushed to clarify- “But you can have some cupcakes! I worked hard!”

 

“S-sure” - Niell nodded as he inspected one of the cupcakes the boy gave him - “Leeteuk right? That’s your name” 

 

“Uhum” 

 

“Can you bake more of these?” - Niell smiled sweetly- “I think just a few aren’t enough” 

 

“ U-ung!” - Leeteuk blushed as he bowed - “I will do it!” 

 

“Ehh~ Who would have told fairies liked sweets?” - Heechul teased 

 

“Liu, there is something I need to tell you” - Niell’s smiled faded away as soon as he got out of the room - “I think I found the source of the curse” 

 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

 

“That cant be... Niell, it must be a mistake” - King Liu was about to die - “No... it can’t be” 

 

“The curse... I’m sure of it” - Niell was upset as well - “It wasn’t a ‘curse’ but the boy’s own magic. Sungmin did that to himself” 

 

“How come?” 

 

“All magic has a price” - Niell bit his lips - “Your son just paid the highest one. I wonder what he did to get such a recoil” 

 

“It’s impossible” - King Liu shook his head - “Sungmin would have never tried something so stupid! He—“ 

 

“He doesn’t think twice when it comes to sacrificing himself” - Niell cut him coldly - “Sungmin’s ability is powerful. He can heal someone else in exchange of his own health. Of course, the more he do it, more recoil received” 

 

“The bird...” - King Liu remembered it. Sungmin exchanged a broken wing for a broken arm. Niell was right: his boy’s magic probably had something to do with that. 

 

“Heechul said there were crumbs in his bed” - Niell looked down - “Your boy sneaked into his room and tried to help him. That’s why he got the fever” 

 

King Liu felt his heart hurting. There was no culprit of his boy’s death but his own boy. That meant, that even traveling back on time, his boy wasn’t safe. 

 

“However, there is something I don’t understand yet” - Niell glanced at the room where the Merry boys and the young prince were - “The fact he used his magic so much to the point of causing his own death... it’s not normal. There must be a reason of why would he go that far. This is just a guessing but... I think your boy exchanged his life for someone’s else” 

 

ㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇ

 

Niell’s head was about to explode. There were a lot of mysteries surrounding the Merry boys and he just added one more to the list. If the Sungmin from the future met the Merry boys and acknowledged their powers... why would he search for a spell that allowed him traveling to the past? Why would he exchange his life for it? What was so important? 

 

(If he wanted to come back to the past... that meant that whatever he wanted to find wasn’t on the future anymore... Maybe not something but someone...) 

 

“You said you didn’t meet all Merry back in the future” - Niell stared at the king - “Do you have any idea of what happened to the others?” 

 

“I have no clue” - King Liu admitted - “But taking into account the situation I found Kangin and Kibum... is more likely they wouldn’t have survived” 

 

“Maybe one of the missing Merry in the future is the key to whatever Sungmin was trying to stop” - Niell bit his finger - “Who casted the spell that brought you back?” 

 

“Heechul did” 

 

(Heechul must be the most talented one of them then... but he was still alive in the future so he is not the key. Same goes for Leeteuk. Which Merry has the ability Sungmin was searching for) 

 

“Mr faiwyyyyyy!” - Sungmin jumped on the fairy - “Thwankz! You zave’d me!”

 

“Sungmin, do you know about magic?” - Niell asked carefully 

 

“Faiwies do magik!” - Sungmin chirped - “They liwe in fowest and have a big twee!” 

 

Niell laughed. The Sungmin he has met was still too young to comprehend his role. 

 

(I wonder what you tried to fix. I bet you had a good reason to sacrifice yourself...) 

 

——————————————————————————

 

Next chapter: let’s meet the other Merry! 

 

To keep in mind (since the story gets updated too little) :

 

12 Merry boys were born. 

 

All of them are half fairy. 

 

In the future, Leeteuk & Heechul ran a bakery while Yesung Eunhyuk & Donghae worked for the king at the stables. The younger ones, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun were often sick but got better after meeting Prince Sungmin. 

 

Niell is the King fairy but has neglected his job a couple times. He often leaves his feelings interfere at the moment of taking decisions. 

 

Author comments: 

 

Hang in there~ I promise all mysteries will start getting solved in the next few chapters 

 

Ps: originally, this chapter was supposed to be longer but I have decided to split it on two~ ^-^