The Presence of The Absence

CROSS MY HEART (AND HOPE TO DIE): Liars Need Good Memories

“For the love of god, Sana, sit your down or I’ll kick you.”

 

 

“What is up with you these past days anyway?”

 

 

Sana, who was once walking back and forth in front of her two best friends – Nayeon and Jihyo – decided to sits down knowing the older girl will actually going to kick her . They were at the cafetaria, having their lunch but failing since all Sana did was walking back and forth if she wasn’t biting her nails and jumped a little when she sees some random people with dark shoulder-length hair appearing.

 

 

“Are you on drugs?” Nayeon asked her while naturally eating whatever Jihyo brought for lunch.

 

 

“No, I’m not. why would I be on drugs?”

 

 

Jihyo took the chopstick from Nayeon’s hand and feed herself her lunch. “Because you seem to be on edge lately? Plus, you keep on forgetting to gives that small girl her camera back.”

 

 

Sana glanced over the camera she put on the table before she finally turns around fully to faced her friends, she looks them both right in their eyes, Nayeon raised her eyebrows at her. She looks at to Jihyo instead.

 

 

“Mina is not coming back yet?”

 

 

“Again, Sana? No, she hasn’t, I mean if she does I would know since she will also be in my room.”

 

 

“But it has almost been… what, nine days? Since she’s gone? Is it even allowed for a student to be gone for this long?”

 

 

“And why are you suddenly interested in her whole being?” Nayeon puts her hands on the table, totally focusing on Sana who moves slightly backwards on her sit when the older girl giving her a dangerous look. Sana clears , looking over to Jihyo for help but the other girl was clearly busy with her food.

 

 

“T-The project?”

 

 

“You handed the project two days ago, Sana. You’re not even close with Mina, why are you suddenly so investedin her?”

 

 

Jihyo looks at Sana by Nayeon’s word, the girl stops chewing her food mid-way. She looks over to Nayeon again, hoping that she would find something on the older girl about the absurd question but found nothing. Jihyo knows well that Sana never gets invested in anybody, the girl never had a serious relationship or even a crush on someone. So, when Jihyo looking back at Sana again, she was sure she knows the answer.

 

 

“Oh no… Sana, really?”

 

 

“……What?”

 

 

“Do you like her?”

 

 

“I… Don’t? What are you talking about?”

 

 

“Then why are you looking for her?”

 

 

When Sana didn’t answer, Nayeon combs her hair with her hand, the older girl scoffed at Sana’s obvious lie, the girl can’t lie to both Jihyo and Nayeon. However, Sana sees the shift of mood in Nayeon’s presence or how Jihyo now completely ditched her food to looks at her. Sana told herself that she was telling the truth, that she doesn’t like Mina but the change of expression on Nayeon’s face says the other way around.

 

 

“Nayeon, I do not–“

 

 

“Look you don’t owe me an explanation. Whatever, Sana, and it’s not like I care, anyway.” With that, Nayeon left without even bother to even glance at Sana or Jihyo who was trying to stop her.

 

 

The look on Sana’s face got bitter and bitter, she looks as if she wanted to cry but was holding it back so then her pride wouldn’t be crushed. She can’t lose her pride too after all, she already lost Nayeon to Momo. It was heartbreaking for Jihyo to witness and she swear she’ll kill Nayeon when the two of them meet later. She took Sana’s hand in hers, holding it as tightly as possible so then the girl doesn’t have to crumbled down in front of everyone.

 

 

“She doesn’t have to say it out loud.”

 

 

“I know,” Jihyo sighs, then wrapped her arm around Sana’s shoulder once she sits beside the girl. “I’m sorry, I’ll smack the heck out of her later, I promise.”

 

 

Sana laughed weakly, inhaling as much air to ease the pain in her chest. However, one question keeps popping out on her head.

 

 

 

 

Sana wasn’t talking to Nayeon for the next four days, and Nayeon making it all easy for her since she has been hanging around with Momo all the time, although Sana wasn’t sure if having Nayeon by Momo’s side would be the best idea for her or not since she always feels like the other Japanese girl pour gas on her already fired wound.

 

 

Jihyo however – being a good friend that she is – decided that Sana needs her more than the later, she told her that she doesn’t want to witness all the cringy craps both Nayeon and Momo might do, so, staying by Sana’s side would be her best choice. Jihyo still hangs around with Nayeon though when Sana (and Momo) wasn’t around.

 

 

“Have you give the small girl her camera back?” Jihyo asked during one of their classes one day, and Sana shook her head. “And no Sana, Mina has not coming back yet, so stop starring at the door.”

 

 

Sana snapped her attention to Jihyo, she wasn’t aware that she has been looking at the door for the past minutes, and then she remembered that this Morning she was actually think that Mina would showed up so then she can give the girl her final project she was working on. This was her only shared class with her.

 

 

She met Chaeyoung the next day, Sana has to wait until the girl’s class is over to catch her because apparently Chaeyoung is a pretty busy girl. The small girl came out from the class linking arms with her taller friend, at first Sana thought that they were together until she notices that Chaeyoung has a crutch in one hand while the other wrapped in bandage.

 

 

“Oh my god, what happen to you?”

 

 

Tzuyu slightly pulled the girl closely by instinct, Chaeyoung gasp by the motion before she sees who was in front of her. She tapped Tzuyu’s shoulder, signaling her that it’s fine then smiles at her. Chaeyoung nodded her head to Sana.

 

 

“Nah, I’m fine. No big deal. What’s up?”

 

 

Sana eyed the girl once more before she handed Chaeyoung the camera bag. “Sorry it took so long, I keep forgetting it.”

 

 

“Yeah I thought you sold it,” Chaeyoung chuckles, Tzuyu took the bag from the girl’s hand and slings it to her shoulder. “the project went well?”

 

 

“I think? I kind of at it.” Sana smiles at her then looking at Chaeyoung’s bandaged arm and the crutch. Sana gulped. “By any change, do you know where Mina is? I mean I see you both hang out together sometimes, I want to gives her the video copy of the video project.”

 

 

Chaeyoung only looks at her for a while, she clears then shook her head no. “All I know is that she went somewhere, I don’t know exactly where though, her grandma’s house or something. You don’t ask Jihyo? I mean she must know right, since she’s her roommate?”

 

 

“You give me more information than her for the past days honestly.” Sana rolled her eyes. “It must be a very important thing then since it’s not exactly the right time for vacation.”

 

 

“Yeah, I think? Sure.” Chaeyoung then her lips, looking up at Tzuyu who also looks down at the shorter girl. Chaeyoung smirks, leaning on her crutch, showing her line of white even teeth. “Why are you suddenly looking for her? And don’t tell me it’s the video thing.”

 

 

Sana deadpanned, “Seriously? First Jihyo and Nayeon and now you?”

 

 

“Even your besties ask you this? It’s must be something then.” The girl chuckles in between words. “You do realize a girl like you is not just looking for someone?”

 

 

“What do you mean a girllike me?”

 

 

“Oh please, Sana. You might be popular but how can you be so dense?” Chaeyoung laughs, she tugs Tzuyu’s arm then walk away. “See you around, Minatozaki dense Sana.”

 

 

Sana her heels, her cheeks turned pinkish as she huffs. “Hey, I’m older than you, shortie!”

 

 

“A dense bully it turns out.” Chaeyoung said shouting back and waving her hand.

 

*

 

 

The first thing Mina hear when she wakes up was a rattle of keys when someone try to lock the door, the next thing was footsteps as they walk closer to her, the bed dipped by the weigh added when someone sits on it. She cracks her eyes open, furrowing her brows as her head sends yet another pang of pain when she tried to moves it. Mina grunts, feeling sick when the world around her feels like spinning.

 

 

“Just rest.” Said someone, caressing her hair then holding her hand. “Don’t make a sudden move, your head is still messed up.” The person laughed jokingly at her before she helps Mina sits on the bed. Mina rests her back on the backrest, looking at the girl in front of her then smiles.

 

 

“You don’t have to do this, Jeong. This is a big deal for me, you know that.”

 

 

Jongyeon sits back down after she took Mina’s medicines from the table across the room and a bottle of water from her bag. She puts it on the bedside table, popping each of the pills out then handed Mina the opened water bottle. Jongyeon smiled at her, some of her short teal hair falling to her face when she looks down to the pills on her hand before handed them to Mina. At that moment she was sure that Jongyeon could get anyone on their knees begging for her attention with a flick of her finger.

 

 

“And let the hospital kicks you out then lets you die on the road? Yeah good idea, I should’ve consider it. Considering how bad your shape was I bet you’ll die as soon as the effect of the meds runs out.”

 

 

Mina sighs, taking the pills on Jongyeon’s hand then put them in , she took as much water as she can in one gulp when she remembered the last time she had a drink was last night when she took her medicine.

 

 

“What happened, anyway? They told me it was a hit and run? But how come the only hit you head?”

 

 

“You want him to hit my whole body?”

 

 

“Well, I didn’t mean that,” She moves closer to Mina, titling the girl’s head to the side where Mina got hit.“It’s just… weird I guess? There are no bruises on your body too, but pretty sure you were hit pretty hard judging by the headache you’re having up until now.”

 

 

“I don’t know… I really don’t remember that much. Maybe I fell down then hit the sidewalk? That’s what they say right?”

 

 

“Yeah… maybe.”

 

 

“Do you know who broughtme there? Did anyone at the hospital told you about it?”

 

 

“No, I never really asked, sorry.”

 

 

Jongyeon had Mina’s hand in hers as she keeps her eyes on the other girl’s face. Mina looks back at her when she feels as if one hundred needles stabbing on her brain, she winches then groans.

 

 

“I needto go back to classes.”

 

 

“When you feel better, you will. Now rest, a lot, sleeps as if your life depends on it.”

 

 

Mina slides back under the blanket with Jongyeon’s help, resting her head on the pillow with minimum movement. “It kind of is though.”

 

 

The taller girl chuckles at her then sits on the edge of the bed until Mina fell back to sleep. Once Mina’s breath was steady, she stood up slowly then slings her bag on her shoulder, opening then closing the door carefully as not to wake Mina up. Jongyeon jogged down the stairs as she walks out of the dorm building, taking out her phone from her jacket pocket, she dialed a number.

 

 

“Hey, can we meet? Yeah, I think I might know something. Sure, but I’m positive that it was her. Okay, see you.”