Curtain Call

CROSS MY HEART (AND HOPE TO DIE): Liars Need Good Memories

 

 

Mina stood on the pavement, a piece of white paper on her hand. She reads it over and over again before eyeing the luxurious university building in front of her. She looks around, her other hand pulling on the strap of her duffle bag that about to slip from her shoulder.

 

 

“Myoui Mina?”

 

 

The person in front of her has a dark brown hair, eyes big and brown it carried warmth and peace. The girl smiles at her, offering a hand. Mina took it and reattract when the big-eyed girl nodded to the driver who has been standing behind Mina the whole time.

 

 

“I’m Park Jihyo, dorm A representative. I’ll be the one you would want to find when you lost your way around the campus. Follow me, please.”

 

 

Mina dismissed her driver by nodding her head and taking the luggage from the middle-aged man. She followed Park Jihyo the dorm A representative to wherever she was going. They didn’t walk side by side, Mina followed the girl two steps behind for the sake of her personal space. Jihyo stopped in front of a tall gate inside the dorm building with a big bold white ‘A’ engraved on it and opened the gate for Mina to get in first.

 

 

“It is kind of odd how you suddenly enrolled in the middle of the semester.”

 

 

Mina didn’t answer, she just watched when Jihyo closes the gate and continue walking ahead of her. This time, she took Mina’s luggage and dragged it beside her not before looking at the girl. Jihyo shrugged, her long hair was as silky as satin and it reflects the sun rays that was shining on it. The girl took Mina to the second level and stop in the middle of the corridor and opened one room door for her without knocking on it. She put the luggage near the window at the end of the square room and sit herself on the one of the bed.

 

 

“Well, come on in.”

 

 

And Mina does. She put her duffle bag on the seem-to-be-untouched bed and opened the cabinet in the middle of the room.

 

 

“Who’s my roommate?” Mina asks, nodding her head to the side of the room that is occupied.

 

 

Jihyo looks around her, hands under her things as she smiled at her. “Unfortunately, me.”

 

*

 

 

Mina found her way around the university on her first day just fine, she did make herself lost a times especially when she has ballet class. The university is a very big ancient building that happens to put the dance studio at a place so hidden and almost invisible. The instructor said it was common that new students got lost in their way before telling her to remember her way because he hates people who came in late to his class.

 

 

In the middle of the class, she noticed some of the girls watching her rather intensely after the instructor praised her several times on her moves, she learned ballet all her life as if it was the only thing she knows she was good at. Anyway, the praises the instructor gave her doesn’t give a positive effect on some girls. Mina noticed one girl – the instructor addressed her as Hirai – has been monitoring her moves even when she was only started standing on her toes. She saw the girl scoffed and rolled her eyes at her.

 

 

When the instructor dismissed the class, Mina saw Hirai walking towards her direction through the mirror. The girl had her back facing the mirror, Mina side eyed her.

 

 

“Your movement was really nice. I’m Momo by the way.” The girl said without offering her hand, her tone was as friendly as ever contrasting on how irritated she looked like earlier.

 

 

“Thanks,” Mina said putting on her jacket. “Mina.”

 

 

“So, where are you from?”

 

 

“Japan, same as you I suppose?”

 

 

Momo raised one of her eyebrow and turned herself fully to Mina, one hand on the railing in front of the mirror.

 

 

“How do you know I’m Japanese?”

 

 

“I don’t think Koreans named their child Hirai Momo, plus your face also doesn’t look like you’re a native here.”

 

 

Momo mouthed a ‘right’ while scratching her head, the girl smiled dumbly and Mina thinks it was cute. She was about to say something when someone approached them, Mina saw Jihyo walking behind the girl with one other girl she doesn’t really know who. Both Momo and her looked at the girl in front of them, Mina noticed the change of expression of the girl beside her.

 

 

“I see you make a new friend, Momoring?” the girl said. She shifts to look at Mina and offered her a hand, Mina only looks at it before looking back at her. “Arrogant I see, but again, who doesn’t in this campus, right?”

 

 

“ off, Sana.”

 

 

“Hey no need to be harsh like that, after all we are childhood friend, don’t you remember?”

 

 

Mina peeked behind Sana’s shoulder, looking at Jihyo who now making her way towards Momo and joins Sana picking out the girl. To her surprise – no matter how dumb looking Momo was – the said girl stepped up until she was literally nose to nose with Sana and pierced her eyes with a glare that can actually kill. Rather than getting intimidated, Sana’s smile grew, her eyes turns into a very inviting one as she held her ground letting Momo’s nose touches hers. She titled her head just a little as if about to kiss her and causing Momo to fumed.

 

 

“Cut it out, now.”

 

 

The girl who has been standing behind Sana pulled the girl back a little, sending a warning gaze and pushes Momo slightly back.

 

 

“You are no fun.” Sana said, tucking strands of hair that was loose from her bun behind her ear.

 

 

“She’s my girlfriend, I need youto remember that.” The girl looks back at Momo, eyes soften when she grabs her hand, intertwined their fingers. “Sorry?”

 

 

“Whatever.” Momo said annoyed, walking away.

 

 

Sana looks at the girl in front of her while crossing her arms on her chest, the girl stayed unmoved no matter how intimidating Sana’s stare was. Jihyo stole a glance to Mina, the one she can’t really tell what, which is very strange.

 

 

“I still can’t wrap my mind at how you can datesomeone who clearly in the same circle as—”

 

“Who? Dahyun? Unfortunately, the world doesn’t revolve around you, Minatozaki. We might be close friendsbut I don’t give a who you are screwing with, or how bad it was. I datewhoever I want because I can.”

 

 

Sana scoffed, her jaw tightened. Something in her eyes telling her that she was angry and offended but all Mina can see was pain the word had caused her.

 

 

“Im Nayeon…”

 

 

“I’m your ing senior, have respect.”

 

*

 

Mina was alone when she came back from today’s classes. She went back to her room with Jihyo but the girl going right out after washing up, something about a party and calming Sana down because of the feud earlier. Mina took a phone from her cabinet – the one she hid under the wooden divider – and playing it in her hand, waiting. She opened the window and hopped on to sit on the frame, one leg hanging down to the outside while the other rests on the chair inside.

 

 

She closes her eyes, allowing the night wind to caress her face while she combs her hair. She looked at the phone, black and grey with no cameras and no fun applied on it. The phone lit up without any sound and any buzzes, pushing the green on the button, she brings it up to her ear.

 

 

“This is Mina.”

 

 

“Report on your first day mission.” Command the voice from the phone.

 

 

“I found her, without making any contact. I might dig deeper as her friend is my roommate.”

 

 

“Good.”

 

 

There was static for a while before the person spoke again. “And your team?”

 

 

Mina straightened her sit, looking outside through the trees and to the dorm building across of hers.

 

 

“I found one of them.”

 

 

“Go ahead.”

 

 

“Code name, Tiger. Korean, blood type B, height; one-hundred-sixty-three,”

 

 

She grabbed her jacket hanging on the chair, smiling.

 

“A photography club youngest president, got accepted to the university by being a prodigy in art. A very close friend to Yoo Jongyeon; a security detail for the senator’s daughter, Kim Dahyun.”

 

 

Mina waved the object on her hand, talking back to her phone.

 

 

“Real name… Son Chaeyoung. Who apparently put a wire on my jacket during ballet class, very smooth but a little bit clumsy if I may say.”

 

 

“Very well.”

 

 

The person disconnected the call, mina bring the wire to the air after she presses a number on her burner phone. Still looking outside when another person picked up her call with a sigh.

 

 

“Do you see me waving at you?” she said, an annoyed grunt coming from the other side of the phone.

 

 

“Clearly.”

 

 

“Maybe not so careless next time, fellow spy. I’ll teach you a better technique next time.”

 

 

“So annoying, I know how to.”

 

 

“Sure.” Mina chuckled, pressing her back on the window frame once she was back on her position. “You are our team’s bug after all.”

 

 

Another grunt. “Show off.”

 

 

Mina laughed, waving for the last time to the dorm room across from her knowing Chaeyoung still looking and because she just wants to annoyed the girl even more before she closes the window and went out from her room.

 

 

 

 

She climbed the campus’ main gate after messing with the cctv’s signal with her phone and put on her cap and hoodie while walking on the sidewalk on the road. She pulled out an altered access card when she gets in to an expensive apartment suit and swipe the card on the main gate’s detector. Walking to the elevator, rolled down a thin silicon to her thumb and put it on the fingerprint detector before pressing the floor button. Once she was on the floor she wanted, Mina stepped closer to a penthouse door and put her silicon covered thumb on the door handle, once it beeped, she pushed the door open and began scanning the room. Looking for anything unusual in every inch of the expensive unit in the darkness.

 

 

Once it was clear, she stopped in front of a framed picture on the wall where three girls were smiling brightly. A picture of Park Jihyo, Im Nayeon, and Minatozaki Sana in their gown on Nayeon’s prom night two years ago. She looks around to the unmade bed, messy living room table, dresses on the bed and several fallen lipsticks on the make-up table. She went out from the building by the backdoor exit, slipping through the gate and cameras by shadowing herself with the loading truck that made its way out of the building.

 

 

Mina walks on the sidewalk again, this time to the party the campus popular kids throw at the suburbs not far away, quietly hoping Sana didn’t screw the senator’s daughter again and got herself killed by their security details because if that happens, her career would be absolutely over.

 

 

Same thing goes to her life, and also her team’s.