Play the Stalker’s Game

CROSS MY HEART (AND HOPE TO DIE): Liars Need Good Memories

 

 

Mina sits back on her usual table during one of her class that day with her headsets on – pretending to listen to the music on her phone when really, she was just listening to Chaeyoung’s voice message about her report for the team – when the door to her class swung open and made half of the student inside the class squealing. Mina looks up from the book she was reading on the table and see Sana walking fast and sits right in front of her. The girl swatted a piece of paper and a pen then shoved it to her.

 

 

“I need you to sign this for me.” She said huffing, fanning herself with her hand. Mina glanced over to the paper without touching it.

 

 

“What’s that?”

 

 

“A school project agreement.”

 

 

“Okay…? What does it have to do with me?”

 

 

“Apparently,” Sana said, put the pen on Mina’s hand and placed the hand on the piece of paper. “I have a candid video project that has to involved another person aside from the student of my year to be the subject of the video. They put your name on the list and you just happen to be the only person I knew there so, just sign it.”

 

 

Mina didn’t say anything for a while, she just eyed the paper and then the pen on her hand repeatedly before she looks up at Sana. She shook her head and told Sana to find another person to be bothered with before she continues on reading her book. The girl however, was persistent, she took the book, put it on her bag swatted the headset along with the phone and put it in her blazer pocket. Mina was listening to Chaeyoung’s report and she panicked, she’ll be so dead if Sana knows what she was listening to.

 

 

“Give it back.”

 

 

“Sign first.”

 

 

“No, give it back.”

 

 

“No.” the girl said, moving away.

 

 

Mina stood up when Sana walks out from her class and chase after her, people were looking at them but the only thing on Mina’s head was to get her phone back. She matches her steps with Sana and told the girl to give her phone back, Sana told her she won’t give Mina her phone back until she signed on the agreement paper.

 

 

“Does forcing me even allowed?”

 

 

“That’s not the point.” Sana stops abruptly and makes Mina almost tripped on her own foot, the other girl held her elbow to prevent her from falling. Mina clears . “Please, just this one time. I promise I’ll stay away after we finished, I needto pass this class.”

 

 

Mina looks around, she saw pair of eyes looking at their direction, curious but probably judging, all they witness was Sana storming out the classroom and Mina chasing her. It also doesn’t help the situation that the girl is frowning, Mina feels like she is the bad guy.

 

 

“Gives me back my phone first, then I’ll sign the damn paper. Also, wipe the frown out of your face, people think I’m the bad guy here.”

 

 

Sana beamed at her then gives Mina back her phone and her book to her, Sana tailed her back to her class and wait until Mina finished signing the paper. The girl took the paper and then hugs Mina before she skipped out from the class smiling at everyone. Mina hides her face on her hand, knowing that Sana has dragged her to people’s curiosity.

 

 

 

 

Mina spends her next three days being ‘stalked’ by Sana with a camera she borrowed from Chaeyoung. The candid video project was literally make a video of someone doing whatever they’re doing without them knowing with some artsy angle and all the crapMina doesn’t care about. The interesting fact is that Sana is really bad at finding the so called artsy angle and the girl making the word candid become less of a candid. Mina could find Sana easily when the girl was taking video of her, without even trying, Sana was just there, pointing the camera lens to her direction, which make Mina looked directly to the camera lens. Which obviously, is not how candid works.

 

 

“Oh god, she really is bad at it.” Chaeyoung said one day. “I finally found the one think Sana is not good at except of being unable to stays put.” She added turning around so her face wouldn’t accidently make it to the frame.

 

 

“Teach her how to.” Mina pleaded, drinking her soft drink.

 

 

“Nope, being friendly with her is not the character.”

 

 

“And sending Tzuyu’s love eyes is?”

 

 

Chaeyoung almost dropped her expensive camera lens at this.

 

*

 

 

The next two days, Sana was still trying to get a good shot for her project, she girl spends a full amount of time following Mina wherever the girl went. She doesn’t talk to her however, she only looks at her camera and smiles at times when she found some shot that has good angle. Mina was guessing that Sana has improved since the girl keeps smiling while looking at the small monitor on the camera.

 

 

The only time Mina see Sana without the camera was the night at a party. Chaeyoung had called her that night telling Mina she needed some help with watching the crowd, the girl told her that it was getting harder and harder each time to guarantee Sana’s safety as some mischievous persons keeps on trying to make their way to Sana, these days it was so aggressive and it makes Chaeyoung somehow insecure.

 

 

Mina joins the small girl by climbing someone’s wall to get to their balcony unnoticed, the house was pitch black, Chaeyoung said the owner has left the house unoccupied for almost two months and giving no signal to coming back anytime soon. She has a binocular in one hand when Mina sits beside her, Chaeyoung offers her a soft drink which Mina happily took.

 

 

“Sana isn’t there yet. Have you been watching too?”

 

 

Mina hummed, flicking her bangs away to see clearly. She noticed Nayeon’s car parked on the side road but still no sign of Sana. “I have always, it’s a pleasure to watch her with you.”

 

 

Chaeyoung grins, then handed Mina her binocular. She asked the older girl if she already eaten or not then Mina told her to stop to try to hit on her, Chaeyoung slapped Mina’s thigh as she chuckled quietly then told her to dream on.

 

 

Mina put on her cap before she pulled down her hoodie, Chaeyoung did the same thing – except the girl didn’t have any cap with her – when Sana’s car pulled into the side road to park, the crowd was getting heavier as the night come. The girl came out of her car with Jihyo – who apparently getting over her sickness few days ago – and went into the house hand in hand. Both Mina and Chaeyoung couldn’t get a clear view of the inside of the house, the shorter girl told Mina to hurry and get down from the balcony as she claimed that she didn’t expect many people would come to the party.

 

 

She followed Chaeyoung down the balcony and walk naturally towards the house. Mina pulled up her hoodie then put her hands inside her jacket pocket, she scanned all the faces that walked pass by her to prevent any possible harm to get close to Sana. Chaeyoung told her that she’ll go to the left side of the house so then Mina could do the same to the other side of the house, they split ways after telling the shorter girl to be careful.

 

 

She looks to the inside of the house through the window and spot Sana drinking from a plastic cup almost getting consumed by the ocean of people dancing and jumping around crazily. Mina also saw Jihyo not so far away from Sana, the girl was walking towards Nayeon who was also walking towards the latter’s direction, which was odd, Mina thinks but she just shrugged it off, people at a party always act weird anyway.

 

 

When Mina turns to one side of the house, she saw two cars slowed down before it fully stopped a little bit far away from where another car was parked. Two girls came out from two different cars along with another two guys who looks a little bit too old to hang around with college students. She looks away when one of the girls glancing her way, something inside her told her that these people are not supposed to be here, so, she followed them to the inside of the house. She was trying to find Chaeyoung first but to no avail, Mina could use some information on these suspicious people.

 

 

Remembering well where Sana’s position was inside the house, she followed one girl that was actually headed to the middle of the party, she pushes through the people as she trying to keep up with the girl’s smooth movement by slipping through ocean of drunk animals.

 

 

Mina almost had a clear view of the girl when a loud roar of people shouting coming from outside the house. Having only few steps away from the girl she was following, the later locked eyes with Mina for a brief moment when she turns around, the girl hurried back out when she heard the shouting for the second time. Not only her, but it seems like a lot of people inside was attracted by the sudden uproar from outside the house, most of them going outside and a few stays inside, including Sana who looks at her from across the room. Mina held her gaze for a little while before she walked out from the back door, needing to check what was going on outside.

 

 

She took only some steps away from the back door when someone grabbed her by her wrist, then slammed her to the wall. One of the guy that came with the two girls pinned her by placing one of his arms on her chest and the other holding one of her hands. Mina was outpowered as she struggles her way off of the guy’s grip.

 

 

“You’re one of those spies Minatozaki’s sent.” He stated.

 

 

Mina only looks at him, throwing daggers from her eyes before she launches her leg to the guy’s crotch. He released his grips on Mina, grunting as he bent down on his knees. Mina looks over her shoulder, concerns that anyone would see her but relieved when she saw no one was there. She needs to find Chaeyoung, but when she was about to leave, the guy pushes her and made Mina fell to the ground, she hurried back on her feet again and was about to fight back when the guy turned around after having his name being called by his friend.

 

 

He walked back still looking at Mina, the girl walks towards him and then runs after the guy completely turned around and ran towards his car, she was an arm away from him and she can’t get any closer. The cars that he drove to get him there drove off after seeing Mina was chasing after him, she can hear the guy cussing under his breath as he turns to an alley. Mina was so sure she’ll lost him if Chaeyoung didn’t come out of nowhere pouncing on his side with her knee and her body weight until the guy hits the wall then fell to the ground.

 

 

Mina stops, having one hand on the wall while she catches her breath, Chaeyoung checks on the older girl by looking at her before she focused on the guy again. The guy stood up slowly, holding his side where Chaeyoung hits him, he smirks looking over Mina’s shoulder. Another guy stood not far from them with a stick on his hand. Both Mina and Chaeyoung senses danger, they have nothing on them as a weapon but their fists, and both guys are twice bigger than them.

 

 

Chaeyoung was the first one to move, she launches her small body to the guy she was hitting earlier and then hits him again as hard as before, this time it was his jaw. Mina couldn’t see what else Chaeyoung was initiating as the guy with a stick on his hand ran towards her, he swung the stick to hit her side but missed. Mina keep a safe distance between her and the length of the stick he is holding, however, she was having a hard time to make her way to the guy to land her fist on.

 

 

She keeps on ducking his attack until some swings latter when she gets a hold of the stick in her hand, she smells her change and then take a look at his eyes before she twirls then hit his gut with her knee. Mina pushed him all the way until his back hits the wall and swung her fist to his nose. The guy grunts as he holds his broken nose, taking the opportunity, Mina took the stick from his loosened grip and then swung it to his legs that make him fell down to the ground.

 

 

The guy groaned, still holding his bleeding nose and Mina was planning to hits him some more until she hears Chaeyoung’s painful yelp. Chaeyoung was on the ground, holding one of her shoulder as she spits out blood to the guy’s feet, the girl pulls out her phone from her pocket and was trying to call someone when the guy kicked the device away from her hand, Chaeyoung groans, crawling to get her phone that was too far from her reach.

 

 

Mina tightened her jaw, she walks fast towards her friend but was stopped when someone took the stick harshly from her grip. She feels the blood on her body leave her when she turned around, she saw him swinging the wooden stick with all his might, it landed right to the side of Mina’s head. The last thing she heard was Chaeyoung shouting Nobefore she heard nothing else but a constant noise of ringing. Mina feels the ground when she hits it, she sees white before it turned completely black and the pain on her head reminds her that she was – indeed – still alive.

 

 

 

 

She wasn’t sure if it was right after she got hit or was it some moments later when she hears a painful crack of some bones and piercing groans. She thought she has just lost Chaeyoung but then she realized that it was a guy’s voice, a loud bang followed and then someone was calling her name. Mina remembers how the world spinning when a pair of hands moves her head and put it on the lap. She heard Chaeyoung calling her in a strained voice a little bit too far from her and another person telling the girl to stop moving to stops her from bleeding out.

 

 

The next second, Mina can’t feel her body at all, the pain on her head led her to a deeper darkness as the person holding her telling her to focus on her voice.

 

 

She can’t.