Firsts

CROSS MY HEART (AND HOPE TO DIE): Liars Need Good Memories

 

 

Mina plopped herself on the chair in the corner at the back row of her class, she was up all night for two days spying on Sana who apparently catching up with her partying habit after several days of absent. She put one hand on a thick book she brought and rest her head atop of it, head aching and eyes burning, she was sure the white on her eyes has turned into red at this point.

 

 

Her eyes almost shut close when something poked her head, Mina stays still playing dead until two pokes later, she looks up annoyed. Sana looked down at her impatient – clearly not amused – one hand on her hip and the other one holding a book she uses to poked Mina’s head, Nayeon sits at a table behind the girl while Jihyo is nowhere to be seen, probably not taking the class these two did.

 

 

“This is my seat.” Sana said, her eyes pierced through Mina’s soul.

 

 

Yawning once again, she rolled her eyes when she grabbed her bag – making sure that Sana wouldn’t notice – and took the thick book with one hand, holding it half-heartedly with her fingers, and stood up. Mina took one step away from her table when she hears Sana scoffed, she looks back, raising one eyebrow at the girl.

 

 

“What, can I help you?” Sana asks.

 

 

“I don’t know, can I help you?” The challenge Mina offer was enough to make Sana looked at her in the eyes, she completely got not only her attention but also Nayeon’s as the older girl raised one of her eyebrows at her.

 

 

“What is that supposed to mean?”

 

 

Mina shrugged, managing her voice not to sounds challenging because the last thing she could do is to make Sana noticed her, which means the whole university will too because Sana got the worldwrapped around her fingers.

 

 

“Nothing?”

 

 

Failed.

 

 

“I know you,” Sana said standing up, the girl was clearly annoyed at Mina’s bravery or she wasn’t because Sana looks like she has been holding a time bomb since the first day she came back. “The girl from ballet class, the new girl.”

 

 

Mina knows where this is going, so she turned around planning to stays away from trouble and people’s attention but turns out ignoring Sana is the last thing a person in this university think of doing when Mina feels thousands of daggers being targeted on her back. Sana was clearly angry when she yelled at her, Mina didn’t look back at her senior when she closes the class door behind her. Her unknown team will take care over the watch on Sana, right now she just need to clear her head and sleeps.

 

 

When Mina wakes up from her nap in one of the club’s room, it was almost afternoon and she nearly skipped all her classes except one, filmography, she has ten minutes before the class start. She looks around the room having forgotten about her headache and stood up to gather her things when she saw someone sitting on the chair across of the room, focusing on the camera on her hand.

 

 

“You’re one sleepy head, aren’t you? I could’ve pointed a gun to your head and you wouldn’t even notice.” Chaeyoung said without looking up, now cleaning her camera lens.

 

 

“Please, you might be small but your footsteps are as loud as your alias. Did you got my picture enough to report it to the boss?”

 

 

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes at her defeat, she then looked at Mina after she carefully put her camera back on her bag. She relaxed her back on to the backrest, Chaeyoung smiles her friendly smiles.

 

 

“You know Sana won’t let you slide, don’t you? She is not the bully type but the word popular comes along with the word mean.”

 

 

“I figured. She hasn’t been herself since she came back, I wonder.”

 

 

“Yeah, she has been overly sensitive lately, she picks on Momo twice as worse than before. Sana been acting weird, did you notice?”

 

 

Mina slung her bag to her shoulder as she walks toward Chaeyoung and sits beside her. “The only image I have of her is the bully type since she picked on Momo in front of me. I think she’s much better than that?”

 

 

“Much better,” Chaeyoung nods. “She can be a little bit mean sometimes but she’s nice, you know, people likes her for that, and she is smart too, she maintained her GPA above 3.63. She helped me with one of my projects, I got an A plus because of her.”

 

 

“Cool.” Mina said and Chaeyoung continue.

 

 

“She flirts a lot though, fooling around more than a football jock does, the only troubles she made. I hope someone can actually tamed her just a little bit so then I can breathe without worrying about her whole being, one night she might be okay but who knows if the other night she’ll get overdose and died.” The small girl sighed and offers Mina her water bottle, Mina shook her head then Chaeyoung drinks from it.

 

 

“You’ll learn to like her when you know her long enough. There is really nothing not to like about her.”

 

 

“Are you her fan? You look like one with that thing around.” Mina chuckled nodding at the heavy looking camera on Chaeyoung’s bag, the younger girl laughed as she shook her head no, she told Mina it was fun watching people and taking pretty pictures. Mina noticed how Chaeyoung’s eyes lit up with adoration when she talks about Sana, the girl somewhat looks up to the said girl.

 

 

Mina misses her last class.

 

 

She came back to her room at eight in the evening, she had to make sure that Sana’s car was safe and there are no one that put some kind of dangerous stuffs to cause an accident, she also followed the girl – and Nayeon – to their last class before going back to her dorm room. Mina tosses her bag on the floor and throw herself onto the bed face first.

 

 

“Busy day?” Jihyo asked from behind her book, Mina nodded. “Go wash up before you sleep, imagine the germs.”

 

 

Mina throws Jihyo her pillow, the other girl laughs when it landed right on her face. Mina strangle her on the bed, they both laugh when their heads bumps into one another. Mina has grown fond to her roommate on the first month being a fake college student, Jihyo was unexpectedly nice despite her being painfully famous and pretty, Mina gets that famous and pretty didn’t sits well with nice. Also, the girl has been taking care of Mina every time she needs a little help with anything.

 

 

“Are you sick?”

 

 

“Huh, why? Do I smell bad?” She asked smelling under her armpit and had Mina laughed at her.

 

 

“No, not that. I didn’t see you at campus today, I thought you had different classes from Sana and Nayeon.”

 

 

Jihyo nodded, finally gets what Mina was asking about. “My mom was in town so I had to drive her places. Why, did you miss me?”

 

 

“In your dreams.” Mina rolls her eyes but smiles when she stood up, grabbing her towel and clothes from her cabinet as well as sneakily and professionally hid her burner phone all the while doing that.

 

 

“Did something happen?”

 

 

Mina looks at the friend’s way. “…uh?”

 

 

“Did Sana cause you trouble?”

 

 

“Oh, that.” Mina shook her head. “Not at all, nothing I can’t handle?”

 

 

“She has been on the edge lately, she gets on my nerves sometimes too. I think something is bothering her, I can’t put a finger what.”

 

 

“She told you about today?”

 

 

“She told me and Nayeon everything.” Jihyo said, laying on her front, typing something on her phone and then scrolling it while smiling dumbly.

 

 

“No parties tonight?”

 

 

“Not for me, no.”

 

 

“Okay.”

 

 

“Don’t let her get to you, just stay away from her.”

 

 

“Sure.” Mina nodded then gets in the bathroom to washed up.

 

 

She locks the door before she flashes out the burner phone from under her pile of clothes. Mina took her other phone – the one with camera and all the fun – and plays a loud enough music to drowned unnecessary noises the burner phone could make, like the sound it made when she types something for example.

 

 

 

 

 

To: Unknown

08.39pm

 

Sana attended her classes,

she was back on her old self but her mood was kind of off.

I’ll try to figure out why, my roommate told me Sana told her everything.

I will dig her off.

 

 

A reply came in a span of one minute and Mina frowned while reading it.

 

 

 

Unknown

08.40pm

 

It was unnecessary,

a report from another spy came, we already had the answer.

Keep the good job.

 

*

 

 

Her first encounter with Dahyun was five days after she pisses Sana off and then left her, Mina saw the small pale girl sitting on the bench under the tree eating cup instant noodle. She also saw Chaeyoung hanging around with the group, having her arm slung onto a teal haired girl Mina known as Jongyeon. The two seems really close as they keep on slapping each other arms while they were laughing, Mina wonders how bad it would be when the group noticed that Chaeyoung was only there to spy on Dahyun.

 

 

One girl of the group waved her hands towards her direction and called her to come. Mina jogs a little, putting a kind smile as she does. The girl was taller than her, she had helped Mina finding one of her classes which was turns out that she was also going to the same class. They sat together since then. The girl looped her arm around Mina’s shoulder.

 

 

“Guys, this is Mina Unnie, she helped me with studying ballet, she is really good at it.” Mina bowed a little.

 

 

“Oh, the new girl Momo been talking about?” Jongyeon asked and then she looks at Dahyun who nodded in agreement, slurping her cup noodle. “Momo likes your dancing, and she hates almost everyone who’s better than her at dancing.”

 

 

“That’s true.” Dahyun said, and then smiling, waving her hand. “Nice to finally meet you, I’m Dahyun.”

 

 

“How come you’re not introduced her to us sooner, Tzuyu-ah?”

 

 

Tzuyu looks at Mina before she flashes everyone her signature innocent smile. Mina likes it when the younger yet taller girl wore that smile on her face, Mina thinks Tzuyu looks ten times younger when she did that.

 

 

“Mina unnie is hard to find since she staysin her room almost every time.”

 

 

“Really?” this time it was Chaeyeong, her fellow spy slash teammate.

 

 

In this different world, nobody has to know that they are actually know each other, no one has to know that Mina has Chaeyoung defeated in more ways than another when the girl tried to be better than the older girl while spying on her. In this world, they became strangers who will soon to be friends. Mina hasno idea who Chaeyoung isand what kind of person she is, but latter she will learn that Chaeyoung is a prodigy who made her way to the university through a scholarship from someone else’s mouth and not from a file she was handed for to read, that Chaeyoung is a brilliant photographer who uses the camera to catches pretty pictures to be displayed on the school gallery and not using the camera to spy on Sana and catches suspicious faces that gets close to the girl, Mina will not know that Chaeyoung has an animal’s name as her alias also, she would never know that Chaeyoung was really good in gathering information.

 

 

In this world, they are liars.

 

 

“Oh, I’m Chaeyoung by the way.” The girl said shyly.

 

 

“Hello, Chaeyoung, you lookso young.” Mina greets back.

 

 

“Yeah, both her and Tzuyu got in the university a year earlier than they should have. It is so annoying when they actually are smarter than you.” Dahyun said munching on her noodle.

 

 

They chatted for a while where Mina learns some things she couldn’t just by reading someone else’s profile. She learns that Jongyeon is a ball of goof who hates kisses but turns into a soft jelly when she was talking about her friends, she is also Sana’s number one hatter ever since the girl played on Dahyun and had to witness her friend bawling her eyes out after. Dahyun however, no matter how cute looking she is, the girl gives an old man vibe every time she moves, she would get one of her legs up and rests her arm atop of it while eating or just simply talking, Dahyun reminds Mina of her uncle because she also takes care of her friends really well. The younger of the group, Tzuyu, she doesn’t talk much – the same as when they have classes together – most probably the calmest of the group and obviously the smartest. She heard some things about momo, that the girl loves dancing, eating but also an idiot, she doesn’t hear much about the girl but Mina catches the hints that the girls are not in the same page as Momo when she started dating Nayeon, they didn’t press on it and just leave it behind.

 

 

Tzuyu later excuses herself to go to class along with Chaeyoung, the two girls linked their arms when they walked towards the building. Mina can’t quite put her finger on whether Chaeyoung was playing a character or not when she was looking at Tzuyu, she shrugged it off knowing that the younger girl was actually good in doing her job, she was probably just playing her character. When the two vanished from her sight, Jongyeon asked Mina if she wanted to come to the basketball field and watches her play, Mina said why not when Dahyun told them that she has a club activity waiting for her. Once she pale girl waved them goodbye, Jongyeon told her that it was probably because Sana would be there. Mina realized that Jongyeon is quite popular herself, she notices some girls giggling towards the girl when they walked pass by.

 

 

“You can sit on the bleachers, I’ll get to you when I’m done.” Jongyeon said, flashing a blinding smile once they were at the basketball court.

 

 

“Okay, I’ll be watching.” Mina was smiling back at her when the older girl’s face turned pinkish.

 

 

Mina gets the idea that Jongyeon might have a crush on her.

 

 

She sat on the second row, having Jongyeon’s bag beside her after the girl say that she doesn’t trust her teammates since the last time they put a dead frog inside her bag. Mina promises her to protect her bag with her life, Jongyeon smiled cutely at this. She watches the teal haired girl for almost thirty minutes when she catches Sana, Nayeon, and her roommate Jihyo enters the court. Sana’s giggles echoed throughout the place and succeeded in catching most people’s attention, Jongyeon scored at this when her opponent was swooning over Sana.

 

 

“You again.” Sana said when she noticed Mina sitting on the bleacher.

 

 

Jihyo eyed both girls, alarmed. Instead of sitting somewhere else, Sana took an empty space beside her, leaving some personal space between them. Mina exhale loudly, not because she hates Sana but because this will only cause people to gets their eyes on her, but clearly, Sana took it the wrong way. Sana thinks Mina dislike her, thus she dislikes her back willingly. Both Nayeon and Jihyo leaves the girl and sit at the far back, getting away from whatever mess their friend would make.

 

 

“One question,” Sana said. “what is it that I do so wrong?”

 

 

“I just wanted to come and watch my friend play.” Mina sighs, her chin on her hand. She hears Sana scoffed, and then she watches her crossing her legs. “Did I sit on your usual place again now?”

 

 

“You can’t answer a question with a question.”

 

 

“I don’t know where you get the idea of your question. We don’t even talk to each other.”

 

 

“Still not answering my question.”

 

 

Mina rolls her eyes, back on watching the game, Jongyeon make another score. “You don’t even know my name.”

 

 

“I do.” Mina looks at her slightly at this, unamused and it made Sana wonders what is the deal with this girl. She feels offended, no one treated her like this girl does. “Myoui Mina, you’re very rude, and I still don’t get why you hate me.”

 

 

Sana got her name right, Mina side eyed her only to make the girl gets even more annoyed than she should have. She needs to get away from Sana but she promised Jongyeon she would watch her practice until she finished. If Sana keeps sitting beside her, then everyone in this basketball court will definitely dig some information of her because apparently Sana is like the Kim Kardashian in this university and people are bound to know who she was dating or even talking to. So, Mina took Jongyeon’s bag – about to get away from her by sitting somewhere else – and then she heard Sana talk.

 

 

“Come again?”

 

 

“I said, you’re a coward, you can’t even talk back to me or even answer my question. Now you’re about to leave.”

 

 

“Look, you don’t have to feel so special when all I wanted to do is to get away from you.”

 

 

Sana bit the inside of her cheek, her eyes telling Mina that she was hurt and she suddenly feels bad, but not for long. Mina regrets having a thought of apologizing when the girl put on a smug face.

 

 

“Do you like me?”

 

 

“Excuse me?”

 

 

“You heard me.”

 

 

“You are annoying, I don’t get why people like you.”

 

 

With that, Mina left the girl and move to the corner back of the bleacher, she rolled her eyes when she sees Sana smile at her while making her way towards Nayeon and Jihyo. mina notices how Nayeon’s eyes bore into her skull.