Whatever They Say

Rumor
Please log in to read the full chapter

....First chapter had no reviews....that's a first. It wasn't my best chapter anyway...

As if finding Changmin beaten and unconscious wasn’t hard enough, Kyuhyun was placed with the unfortunate task of having to call Changmin’s family.

It was at that moment that Kyuhyun hated his life, because how can you tell your best friend’s mother that someone broke into her son’s home and attacked him?

Changmin never showed any signs of waking up during the ride to the hospital. He wasn’t responding to any stimuli, and the EMT’s were already discussing their worry for possible brain damage as they placed an oxygen mask over Changmin’s nose and mouth.

He heard the EMT’s talking about other injuries, but by then, his mind was already racing so fast he couldn’t understand what was going on around him anymore. Kyuhyun didn’t even realize that the ambulance made it to the hospital until an EMT started yelling at him.

Kyuhyun sat in the waiting room for a couple of hours before he realized that he had to call Changmin’s family. His shaking fingers could barely dial, and his voice made him sound as if someone was choking him.

Once Changmin’s family arrived at the hospital, Kyuhyun felt his heart break even more. He had no idea what to say to them, mostly because Kyuhyun was still trying to get a grip on everything himself. He stood up, hoping that he could provide some type of support to them.

“I’m sorry,” was the only thing Kyuhyun managed to say to them once he got his voice to work.

Changmin’s family replied by pulling Kyuhyun and hugging him tightly because they knew none of this was his fault, and he was hurting because Changmin means so much to him.

“Have you heard anything?” Changmin’s father finally asked.

Kyuhyun shook his head. He had been waiting for news of Changmin this whole time, and he was wondering how much time should pass before “no news” became “bad news”.

“Why would someone do this?” Changmin’s mother asked.

Kyuhyun was asking that same question.

Changmin never hurt anyone. He was a good guy that liked to drink wine and watch movies. He liked to stay at home because social events tired him out. None of this made sense to Kyuhyun.

Now all he could wonder was if Changmin knew his attacker, or was this a random act of violence? How scared was Changmin when all of this was happening?

“I...I don’t know,” Kyuhyun said. “I just found him like that I have no idea-”

Kyuhyun’s words were cut off as Sooyeon placed her hand on Kyuhyun’s back.

Kyuhyun turned his attention to Changmin’s sisters. They looked so similar to Changmin it made Kyuhyun shiver.

“Are you okay?” Sooyeon asked.

Kyuhyun couldn’t believe she was asking him that. He wasn’t the one in the hospital after being beaten mercilessly. Her brother was the one admitted into the hospital, but she still felt the need to check on Kyuhyun’s wellbeing.

“I...I’m fine,” Kyuhyun answered.

“You don’t look fine,” Jiyeon pointed out.

Changmin’s parents urged Kyuhyun to sit back down, and he was powerless to do anything but. Kyuhyun fell into his chair, Changmin’s parents sitting on one side while Changmin’s sisters sat on the others.

“You’re shaken up about this,” Changmin’s mother said. “And that’s okay. I know how much you care about Changmin. You don’t have to pretend to be strong for our sake.”

Kyuhyun took in a shuddering breath. “If I had come earlier...then maybe...maybe-”

“You would have been hurt too,” Mr. Shim said. “You were able to call the ambulance for Changmin. You saved his life.”

“Changmin will be fine,” Sooyeon said with a smile, although her eyes were becoming wet with unshed tears. “He’ll be okay because you were able to get him here. We’re grateful to you for that.”

Kyuhyun didn’t feel like he deserved their appreciation. He wished there had been a way to save Changmin before he got hurt. Mr. Shim had a good point though. Had Kyuhyun come at the same time Changmin’s attacker came, he probably wouldn’t have stood much of a chance. Kyuhyun didn’t have fight skills like Sungmin or Yunho and-

Kyuhyun gasped.

Jiyeon noticed Kyuhyun’s sudden change in demeanor. “Kyuhyun?”

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened. “Yunho,” he breathed out, suddenly remembering why he went to Changmin’s apartment in the first place.

“What about Yunho?” Changmin’s mother asked.

“He was supposed to be at Changmin’s apartment,” Kyuhyun answered. “He and Changmin got in a fight and…” he trailed off.

“Where...is he?” Changmin's father asked. If anything, Yunho would be here. They knew how protective Yunho was of Changmin, and it wasn't like Yunho to not figure out if something was wrong, especially if he eventually ended up going to Changmin's apartment after the ambulance had arrived.

“He wasn’t hurt too, was he?” Sooyeon asked.

Kyuhyun shook his head. “I’m sure he’s not,” he said, and it occurred to him that he should also call Yunho. He reached into his pocket to pull out his phone, but sighed as he looked up and saw two police officers coming in their direction. It was no doubt they were here for Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun stood up on shaky legs. He had no idea what help he could give to these officers, but he was ready to get this questioning over with.

“Let me know if you get any news about Changmin,” Kyuhyun asked Sooyeon and Jiyeon, who both nodded at his request.

Kyuhyun could call Yunho later. He had to see if the police found out who hurt his best friend.

Yunho couldn’t sleep.

That angered him, because he already knew why.

Yunho was more emotional than people realized. He hated fighting with Changmin, and he hated it more when his fights with him were never resolved.

Maybe it was a bad idea for Yunho to have come back home instead of continuing his drive to Changmin’s apartment.

Yunho crossed a line during their fight. He shouldn’t have hit Changmin like that, especially knowing how much Changmin was already hurting. When Changmin was acting like that, Yunho's job was to try to calm Changmin down, not give the maknae a reason to not trust him anymore.

Yunho didn’t get to apologize, and that was eating him up on the inside.

Time seemed to tick slowly as he laid on his back, staring into the dark as he wished his eyes would stay closed for at least an hour. He had a long day ahead of him, and he wasn’t sure how he would survive it without proper rest and the occasional ten minute naps in between.

Yunho jumped at the sound of a loud knock on his door.

He was sure he had every right to be concerned. The clock on his bedside table currently read 2:30AM, and he couldn’t come up with any reason why someone would come over so late.

Maybe someone had called him in an emergency, but Yunho couldn’t answer his phone because he accidentally destroyed it.

He crawled out of bed, turning on a few lights as he walked to his front door.

Yunho only became more confused upon seeing that there were two policemen standing on the opposite side of the door, and Yunho began to worry that something terrible had really happened. Was someone in his family hurt? What about his friends? Yunho was praying that he wasn’t about to hear news of someone he loved dying suddenly. He didn’t think he could handle such news.

Yunho swallowed the lump in his throat as he opened the door.

“Jung Yunho,” one of the officers said.

Yunho nodded dumbly, bracing himself for whatever bad news was about to come his way.

“You’re going to have to come with us,” he said.

“Why?” he asked. That definitely wasn’t something he was expecting. “What’s going on?” Yunho shivered. He didn’t like the looks on the officers faces, and it didn’t help that they were being so secretive. But if something happened to any of his family or friends, then they really should speak up. Yunho hated having to wonder what was going on.

“Turn around and place your hands behind your back,” the other officer commanded.

“What?” Yunho asked. The police weren't here to deliver any news, they were here to arrest him. Now Yunho was really confused. “Why?”

“There’s no need to start a fight,” the officer said, mistaking Yunho’s confusion for aggression. “We want to do this quietly so please, turn around and place your hands behind your back, and we’ll settle this at the station.”

Yunho's mind shut down at that moment. He needed to know what was going on, and it seemed like the only way he would get his answer was if he just surrendered and followed instructions. He followed their command like a robot, turning his back to them and feeling the metal handcuffs latch onto his wrists.

What is going on?

By the time the police were done questioning Kyuhyun, Changmin was finally allowed to have visitors.

Kyuhyun walked to Changmin’s room on wobbly

Please log in to read the full chapter