Part 3

Raspberry Scrubs

You felt bad that you had started your deal with Kihyun again. It was a few days after you had broken things off with Minhyuk and you wanted any way outlet to get your mind away from it. Kihyun had accepted, but not without any questions.

While you were on his service one night, the two of you laid next to each other in the on-call room, waiting to be paged for an emergencies. Kihyun had his arm around your bare body, warming you up like the blankets couldn’t.

“So why’d you end things with him? It seemed a little sudden.” Kihyun asked you. You turned to face him, his arm still around you. “I wasn’t able to see him and I knew things would only get worse. He was also really secretive about everything, all I knew about his personal life was that he worked at a cafe and he was a college graduate.” You sighed.

Kihyun raised his eyebrows and softly smiled. “What did he study?” He asked, though by the tone of his voice it seemed like he was joking. You rolled your eyes and turned away, ‘He wouldn’t even tell me that. He promised that I would find out soon but I never understood why he couldn’t just tell me.” You mumbled.

Kihyun nodded his head, still smirking to himself. “Who knows? Maybe you will find out eventually.” He said, but before you could question him about it, he got a page. He extended his arm to check his pager sitting on the table. He read it and quickly got out of the bed, almost pushing you out of it.

“What is it?” You asked him as he pulled his scrubs back on. He waved for you to do the same. “The heart transplant patient is coding, he’s experiencing Coronary arteriopathy. We have to get down there.” He shoved his pager back in his pocket and ran out the door, not waiting for you to follow along.

You nearly fell out of the bed trying to get out of it. You grabbed your scrubs and pulled them on. Even though you weren’t the doctor of the patient, you needed to get to the room as quickly as you could. You pulled your hair back and followed after Kihyun.


“So are you going to go after Kihyun now that Minhyuk isn’t in the picture?” Ellie asked you while you were on a break. You had just lost your transplant patient and you were in no mood to talk about relationships.

You shook your head and glared at her. “It’s called friends-with-benefits.” You emphasized each word to her. Ellie rolled her eyes and looked to Jooheon, who only shrugged his shoulders, not knowing what to say.

You closed your eyes and turned around in the revolving chair. You feet and body ached from being on your feet for so many hours. “Come on! You two are basically a thing, just without the title.” Ellie pleaded with you. “Plus! You get to see him almost daily and you know more about him than you ever did with Minhyuk.”

Ellie made a fair point, but you didn’t feel like talking about a possible relationship with a doctor, not when you just got out of one. “I’m not ruining things between Kihyun and I because you two want me to get into a relationship with him. Do you know how bad that would look? He would put me on his service just because I’m dating him.”

Ellie stared at you, unimpressed. “And hooking up with him at any chance you get is no better?” You saw Jooheon vigorously shake his head, agreeing with the woman in front of you.

You squinted your eyes and scrunched up your nose. “No,” you said, crossing your arms across your chest. Ellie looked back to Jooheon who only shook his head this time. “She’s ridiculous.” Ellie muttered.

You threw up your hands, trying to defend yourself. “I just broke up with Minhyuk! Remember him? The cute little barista I was with?” You said to them. They were being unbelievable.

You had thought about a relationship with Kihyun before. Multiple times actually. Though, that was long before you were in an actual relationship and had another guy on your mind. Though, even you couldn’t deny that a relationship with Kihyun would fair better than the one you had with Minhyuk.

The more you thought about it the more it made sense. You got up and checked your page, it was beeping but you needed an excuse to leave. “I’ll think about it!” You said before walking away.


You were on Dr. Chae Hyungwon’s service for the day. Kihyun was called away to perform a surgery at a different hospital who didn’t have as experienced of surgeons as he was.

Dr. Chae was the head of pediatric surgery, Jooheon’s preferred area. He was a kind man, unlike a lot of the older doctors around him. He could make a sick child feel better about their stay at the hospital with just a few bats of his eyelashes. You enjoyed being in the pediatric surgical wing, but you weren’t able to visit it often thanks to your nearly permanent position in the cardiac wing.

You followed Dr. Chae to the room of a twelve year old girl who just had a cardiac valve replacement surgery. She had been in the hospital, recovering, for nearly a week and so the two of you were going to check up and see if she was ready to be discharged.

“There’s the pretty girl,” Hyungwon said to the girl happily. The girl’s eyes lit up when she saw the two of you come through the door. Hyungwon was a favorite amongst the kids, but he was the crush of most teenage girls and their mom’s. You couldn’t blame them though, he was quite attractive and you heard rumors that he became a model to get through med school.

Hyungwon checked her vitals and you wrote them down as he said them. “Where’s Dr. Yoo?” The girl asked, looking over Hyungwon and straight to you. You smiled to the young girl, “He’s helping another patient at a different hospital. Who knows, maybe if Dr. Chae needs you to stay one more day, you can see him before you go.” You told her with a slight wink.

Dr. Chae turned to you and pointed to a slight abnormality in her vitals. “You’re white blood cell count is a little low still, so you might have to spend one more night her, Tara. It should be nothing to worry about.” He smiled to her and took the charts from your hands, jotting a little note down on the side.

“Stay in here while I order the tests.” Hyungwon told you before walking out the door.

Tara smiled at you. “What’s it like working with Dr. Yoo? I bet it’s amazing, he’s so hot.” Tara cheered, bringing her hands close to her chest. You shook your head and sat at the edge of her bed. “Aren’t you a little young to be thinking those things?” You asked her jokingly.

She struck you a non-serious glare, “I’m twelve, I can find boys good looking. Dr. Yoo is very good looking.” She smirked and scootched closer to you at the edge of the bed. “Have you kissed him?”

You were taken aback by the question, you stood up from the bed and smiled awkwardly. “I’m your nurse, you don’t ask personal questions like that.” You muttered. Then the glare came back, as if she could peer into your soul. “Aren’t nurses supposed to be around to make patients feel better and start conversations with them?” Tara crossed her arms, the IV in her wrist curled around her arm.

You shook your head and pushed her back to lie down softly. “No, now, you have to look well rested if you want to see the handsome Dr. Yoo.” You winked as you pulled the covers over her body.

Tara nodded and closed her eyes, turning on her side to fall asleep. You wanted to quietly leave the room, but your pager thought otherwise. It beeped loudly and you wrestled with the little device in your pocket so you could silence it.

Tara got up from the bed and watched you read the the text on the pager. “,” you mumbled. You looked back to Tara and pointed to her. “Go to sleep, I’ll be in later to check on you.” You said before running out of her room.


You hated E.R. pages; especially when they came from a doctor who wasn’t supposed to be in the hospital at the moment. You ran down the halls and into the E.R., where a group of nurses and doctors all huddled around one curtained bed.

You pushed past them to see why you were paged, only to see that the patient who was on the bed was no patient at all.

It was Kihyun.

Ellie stood next to him, wrapping gauze around his head. A few doctors stood around his right like, examining it like there had been a break. Once you met Kihyun’s eyes, he smiled and tried waving everyone off.

“Seriously, I’m fine. I just need the ortho and Y/N to stay. Go about your days.” He called out to everyone surrounding them. Everyone grumbled as they dispersed one by one. Before Ellie left, she grabbed your arm and pulled you close.

“He wanted you at first, but I was the only nurse nearby.” She said with a wink before leaving with everyone else.

You grabbed the gauze and continued to wrap Kihyun’s head, noting that there was a deep laceration at the side of his head. “Mind telling me what happened?” You asked him sternly, noticing the multiple cuts and bruises that littered his body.

He shrugged and looked down to his leg then back up to you. “We were coming back from the surgery and a deer ran into the road. The front of the car was totalled but everyone is fine. I was the one who was hurt the most. It’s no big deal.”

“You’re right, it’s no big deal, but I still have to cast it.” The orthopedic joked, he gave Kihyun a small grin before grabbing Kihyun’s charts and walking away from the bed. Now that he was gone, you raised your arm and hit Kihyun on the shoulder, not hard enough to hurt him though.

He held his arm and furrowed his brows. “What the hell was that for?” He mumbled, running his hand over the place you hit him. “For worrying me.” You snapped at him. You weren’t actually angry at him, but you didn’t particularly like being worried.

Kihyun laughed and threw his head back onto his pillow. “Aw, I didn’t know you would actually be worried about me. That’s kind of cute though.” He admitted. He outstretched his arm and reached for your hand.

“Can I get a kiss because I’m injured?” He cooed, half joking and half serious. You sighed and rolled your eyes. It sounded inviting, but you weren’t too keen on letting the hospital know about your secret affair with the doctor.

But maybe you didn’t mind too much because before you knew it, you leaned down and kissed his lips gently. You pulled away and placed a light kiss on his nose. You both knew that it was a little bit too friendly to come from a friends-with-benefits relationship, but you didn’t mind trying to roll with it for a while.

You smiled and finished up his bandages. “Get hurt while I’m gone and I’ll kill you.” You told him before stepping away. He smiled and leaned back, at least your sense of humor was still there.


It was the day the new surgical interns came into the hospital, a day that everyone had either dreaded or looked forward to. You were excited, as were most of the other nurses, only because new doctors meant new opportunities to show your skills. Ellie craned her neck to look around the entrance of the hospital, waiting for the group of new doctors to finish their tour.

“Let’s hope they’re actually nice to us common folk.” Jooheon muttered “We’re medical personnel, we’re just as important as them.” Jooheon was silenced by Changkyun, who knew the taller man was about to get into a rant about the new doctors.

You kind of agreed with Jooheon in a sense. Nurses did just as much or maybe even more work than the doctors, yet they were always being treated like burdens amongst the doctors. Though, now was not the time or the place to get into medical politics.

You heard the other nurses become excited as a larger group of people came down the halls.

Ellie happily pointed the group coming down the hall “They’re here!” she exclaimed.

Kihyun was the tour guide for this small bunch, as the lead of the cardiac surgery branch, he was given the opportunity to aid the interns, not exactly a job he enjoyed, but he accepted it with no hesitation.

He led them down the halls on crutches, his broken leg was in a cast that was hidden just under his scrubs. A nurse walked by him, making sure he didn’t injure himself anymore. It had been a few weeks since he had gotten into the car crash. It had also been a few weeks since the two of you had been becoming a little more public with your affair.

You hadn’t classified it as a relationship. You made sure to tell him that before things became a bit more serious. You were still conflicted about Minhyuk, even though you hadn’t spoken to him in weeks. There was still a little part of you that wished to still be with him.

So you and Kihyun kept it low-key until you were ready to make it official.

As the group of interns, twenty in all, came closer to the group of nurses, Dr. Son Hyunwoo stepped up and smiled brightly at you all. He held out a list and pointed to it. “All of you will be set up with one intern. You will show him or her around the hospital, making sure they are going where they need to go.”

“So babysitting…” Jooheon muttered. You nudged him with your arm to silence him so you could finish listening to Dr. Son. When he was done, he turned to the interns and Kihyun.

Kihyun made eye contact with you and winked. You smiled but quickly turned your attention back to Dr. Son. “First I have Lee Jooheon with Dr. Jackson Wang.” he said. A young, handsome man walked up and greeted Jooheon. The two said their greetings before Jooheon led him around the hospital.

Dr. Hyunwoo continued on until he reached your name. “Ah, Y/N L/N, you’ll be with Dr. Lee Minhyuk.” He said before gesturing to a man who was standing in the back of the group. You paused as Minhyuk showed his face.

You recognized his blonde hair and his full ecstatic smile and the face that would forever be molded into your memory. He smiled shyly out you, knowing that you had found out his little secret. 

Your cute little barista, who wrote cute little notes for you, who you kissed into the late hours of the night. “Whom you barely knew.” You thought to yourself. He was a doctor, no he was more than that, he was a surgical intern. 

He was dressed in raspberry colored scrubs, a stethoscope draped around his neck, and the white lab coat hung from his shoulders pleasingly. He walked up to you and shook your hand. He leaned in closer, as if he were about to start a serious conversation.

“Do you have time for me now?” He smirked. He stood up straight and began walking away, leaving you still shocked from the sudden revelation. You in a deep breath and ran after him, realizing that you still needed to do your job.

Your sweet little barista was now a hotshot doctor, only adding to the mysteries surrounding him.