Part 2

Raspberry Scrubs

Minhyuk finally called you a couple of days after you gave him your number. Though, the timing couldn’t have been worse. You were in the middle of a thirteen hours shift. It was around noon and you had finally gotten your first break of the day.

You sat in the cafeteria with the rest of your nursing friends. Hoseok nibbled at a salad, his appetite had been ruined earlier in the day from his shift in the E.R. Changkyun leaned his head against his arm, seconds away from dozing off. Ellie read up on a few of her patient reports while you and Jooheon talked to yourselves.

“Do you want to switch departments? I hate working in Neuro with Dr. Son, he never gives his nurses enough to do.” Jooheon asked you, almost pleading. You shook your head and smiled, “I’m on Dr. Yoo’s service.” Jooheon rolled his eyes and looked back to you, frowning.

“You mean, Dr. I Like To Get Sweet Little Nurses Into My Bed?” Jooheon joked, making air quotes with his fingers. You pushed his arm and got up from the table. “Shut up.” You checked your page and waved it in the air. “I’m leaving, you can have my pudding.” You pointed to the vanilla pudding on the table before rushing over to Cardiology.

“You’re a minute late.” Kihyun snapped at you. You smiled and shoved the pager back into your scrubs. “I get here as quickly as I can from the cafeteria.” You said back snidely. Kihyun shook his head and walked you over to a nurses station. He set down a couple files and turned to you, close enough that most people would hear your conversation.

“Once you check the vitals of these patients, do you want to meet in On-Call Three? I have a surgery at four so we have time.” He asked in a low whisper. You looked at the four files and nodded, it would maybe take an hour to do.

“Su-” You were cut off by the vibrations of your phone. You quickly pulled it out, an unknown number lit up the screen. Kihyun craned his neck over the phone to see who was calling you. “You should pick it up.”

You nodded and answered the phone with a quiet ‘Hello?’

“Y/N! I just got off for lunch. Would you like me to bring you something?” It took you a moment to register who the owner of the voice was. That is until you realized that it was Minhyuk calling.

Kihyun looked to you, he nodded his head and waved you off. “I’ll handle the vitals. You go and do whatever it is you need to do.” He said, taking the files back into his hands and walking away.

Despite this, you became a little excited. You smiled and hummed into the phone. “I’ll be at the front entrance.” You told him before hanging up. You giddily made your way out of the Cardiology wing and towards the front entrance. You stopped by the bathroom on the way to fix your hair and dust off your shrugs. You didn’t want to seem like you were running solely off of coffee and a few hours of sleep.

Even though you totally were.


You waited in the lobby of the hospital for a few minutes before you saw Minhyuk come through the large glass doors. Once he saw you, he smiled brightly and waved. You smiled back and walked over to him.

“I figured you’d be tired so I brought you this.” He held out his arm and handed you a large cup of coffee. “Sadly I didn’t have time to write a pick up line on the cup, but I can just tell you how beautiful you look.” He held out his hand for you to take.

Now blushing, you took his hand and smiled. “We can go anywhere you want for lunch. Well, maybe not anywhere, I have an hour for lunch.” He said as he led you away from the hospital.

The two of you ended up eating at the cafe after being indecisive about where to go for lunch. When his co-workers brought the food, they had the largest smirks on their faces and you could hear them talking about the two of you from behind the counter.

“I don’t have many friends that come to the cafe. They’re just excited that I finally have one.” He paused and covered his face in his hands. “Wait, no. That makes me seem like a socially awkward loser. I’m not, I promise. I mean, there’s nothing wrong with being antisocial or not having many friends.” He stopped and looked to you abruptly. “I’ll stop talking now.”

You laughed a reached over to grab his hand. It was the same feeling of warmth and comfort that you had felt before and you loved it. He smiled and entwined his fingers in yours.

“So, Y/N, tell me about yourself.” He said as he took a sip of the soup in front of him. You took a deep breath and thought about it for a moment. “I graduated from the nursing program a little over a year ago and quickly got a job as an RN at this hospital.” You laughed and look into his eyes. “I’m incredibly boring, all I do is work and sleep and work some more.” You admitted.

You were about to go further in depth into the conversation when your phone started buzzing. The caller ID read that it was from Ellie. You quickly answered it.

“Y/N, can you take my next shift?” She asked.

Minhyuk reached over and took the phone away from your ear. He placed it up to his and cleared his throat. “Y/N got food poisoning, I’m taking her home to rest.” He said calmly.

“Oh, is this Minhyuk? Tell her that it’s fine and that I hope she feels better.” Ellie said before hanging up on Minhyuk. You stared at Minhyuk, mouth agape. “Minhyuk, what did you just do?” You asked him frantically, reaching over to grab your phone.

He held up a finger and got up from the table. “One second.” He whispered before walking over to his co-workers. After a few minutes he came back, a bright grin on his face. “I got the rest of the day off, and so did you. So, we’re going to show you how to have some fun.”

“What?” You asked, but he was already pulling you along.


It was nearing midnight by the time the two of you had finally started to settle down from your adventure filled day. He took you all through the city and to places that you had never been to. You sampled food, tried on outrageously expensive clothing, and people watched from a bench in the middle of a park.

Now, as the stars shone bright in the sky, did you to finally spend a few moments in silence. “Thank you, Minhyuk.” You finally whispered to him. You looked up to the stars and leaned back against the tree you were sitting under. The two of you were ending you nights in the same park you had spent most of the day. After eating dinner you both decided to watch the sunset, the sunset turned into stargazing soon enough.

He held your hand and smiled. “No need to thank me. I’m just glad that I was able to show you just a little bit of fun before you went back to work.” He said happily. He looked down to you and grinned.

“Can I call you my girlfriend?” he asked. His voice was soft and resembled honey.

“Are you going to still bring me coffee if I am?” You asked him jokingly.

Minhyuk smiled and nodded his blond head. “No, I’ll bring you water instead.”

You frowned and turned away from Minhyuk. “Then that’s a no go. No coffee no relationship.” You grinned, turning back to him. Minhyuk saw through the joked and leaned down to kiss the top of your head. “Well, girlfriend, it’s getting late and we both need to work tomorrow so I’m going to walk you back to your apartment.” You nodded and got up from your little haven under the oak tree.

He grabbed your hand and held it tightly.

Minhyuk walked you down your apartment hall, your hands still interlocked. The two of you walked slow, savoring every second you still had left of your date. As you approached your door, the two of you were greeted by an unexpected guest.

Kihyun stood up from the ground when he saw the two of you approach your apartment. “Kihyun? What are you doing here?” You asked him, he never came to your apartment unless the two of you were hooking up. There was no reason for him to be here now.

Kihyun looked to you then at Minhyuk. “I was told that you were sick and I came to check on you. When you didn’t open the door I figured you went to get medicine or something but you went to grab a man instead.” Kihyun frowned.

“Y/N, who is this?” Minhyuk leaned down towards your ear and whispered. You turned your attention to Minhyuk and sighed. “This is one of the surgeons at the hospital, Yoo Kihyun. We’re good friends.” You told the barista.

Minhyuk’s eyes widen, he stook out his hand and waited for Kihyun to take it. “The Yoo Kihyun? The youngest cardiothoracic surgeon in the country? The one who’s running trial tests to eliminate Peripheral Arterial Disease?” Minhyuk questioned.

Kihyun was taken by surprise by Minhyuk’s knowledge of him. He took Minhyuk’s had and shook it, still shocked. You were shocked as well, you didn’t think Minhyuk knew a thing about doctors or circulatory diseases.

“Uh, yes. Can I ask you what your name is?” Kihyun asked, now intrigued. Minhyuk smiled, “I’m Lee Minhyuk.” Your boyfriend said confidently. Kihyun nodded and looked to you, a sly smirk on his face.

“I suppose our deal is off now?” Kihyun asked. You nodded your head and reached over to grab Minhyuk’s hand. “Yeah it is.”

Kihyun took a deep breath and clapped his hands together. “Well, have a good night you two. I’ll see you tomorrow, Y/N. You have to work double time tomorrow for skipping today and as for you, Lee Minhyuk. I’ll be seeing you again soon.” Kihyun grinned lowly and began walking away from the two of you.

“What’s he talking about, Minhyuk?” You asked the blond. Minhyuk shrugged his shoulders coyly. He bent done as placed a gentle goodnight kiss on your lips. “Beats me, I’ll see you tomorrow, Y/N.” He waved goodbye and left quickly.


Weeks went by and seeing Minhyuk was becoming increasingly harder. You had less time to see him everyday and it got to the point where you didn’t see him for days at a time. Even when you did see it was only for a few minutes before you were either called into work or he was pulled away for his own matters.

You truly liked Minhyuk and if you didn’t have the obligations at the hospital, you would think about being with Minhyuk long term. With the start of your career being so hectic, you couldn’t juggle being in a relationship and concentrate on advancing to the practitioner level.

Especially when Minhyuk had his own obligations.

You knew almost nothing about Minhyuk’s personal life. He never wanted to speak about himself and everytime you asked him about it, he would change the subject immediately. You didn’t even know he quit working at the cafe until you went in one morning and didn’t see him working.

His ex co-worker had claimed that he had quit the day before without any prior notice. Everything the man did confused you and you did not have the time or energy to figure it out completely.

So one day, after working a long shift, Minhyuk came and brought you coffee from his former work. You took a deep, shaky breath when you saw his sunlight of a smile. It would be just like ripping off a bandaid, right? That’s what Ellie told you to do.

You walked up to him, visibly a flustered mess. “Y/N, are you okay?” Minhyuk asked quietly.

You shook your head and stared into his eyes. “I think we should break up.” You blurted out. Minhyuk raised his eyebrows and crossed his arms. “You think so?” He asked, hardly any emotion in his tone.

You nodded and wrung your fingers together nervously. “We never have enough time for each other and I know absolutely nothing about you. I really like you but I can’t do this right now.” Everything came out in one long word, all mushed together and messy, but Minhyuk seemed to understand the pointed.

He nodded his head and smiled. He grabbed your face and leaned down to kiss the crown of your head. “Alright. Call me if you have seconds thoughts.” He whispered to you. And then he was gone, away from the hospital and away from your view.

You couldn’t tell if you had made the right decision. You knew that the ache in your chest wasn’t a sudden case of angina though.