Chapter 1/1

Can I See You?

  Hello, I'm Boo Seungkwan.  I've lived for twenty years so far.  Every day is about the same.  I hear the alarm clock, get up, and do my daily routine.  This sounds normal, doesn't it?  But really, what's so different is that I can't see.  I've had a cloth wrapped around my head since the day I opened my eyes.  I don't remember the first thing I saw, I just know I saw something.  My parents wouldn't tell me one thing about it, just that if I take off the cloth, something bad will happen.  How am I not supposed to trust my parents?  They're the only people I have in this dark world.

Have I been tempted to take off the cloth?  You bet.  I hate it when I'm taking a shower, it gets my eyes all wet.  My mother usually washes me, it's slightly embarassing, but truthfully, I can't do it.  I've located objects in the bathroom and such, but I don't quite understand everything.

I've been told what to feel about things.  Blue looks like the ocean, red looks like a rose, and black looks the darkest.  I see darkness all the time, so that's true.  Chicken and steak have a pleasing scent, and the ocean has a cringy scent. 

But really, I don't know what all this even is...    Five years ago, my mother died.  I attended the funeral, but I couldn't see her.  I couldn't see the person who gave birth to me.  Who's taken care of me all of my life.  My father now takes care of me.  He bathes me, he feeds me, he even helps me sing.  He's very nice to me, despite making me wear this.. cloth over my eyes.  I trust him too much, I think.  I am slightly independent.  I sometimes get my own snacks.

I can walk around the whole house without banging into anything really well.  I wish I could see everything, though.  It's hard not taking off the cloth, I really want to know what and where I've been living in.  I always go to these relaxing springs, but... I can't see the beautiful plants surrounding it that the girls there keep awing at.

They tell me I look a bit chubby, but it's just natural.  They say I have a nice figure, and a beautiful smile.  My mother always said that my smile brought joy to her life.  She said she was always happy whenever I was.   And naturally, that would be the case, right?

School wasn't too hard.  I heard my mother teach me, and I kept mental notes.  I don't really know how to write, or what characters even look like.  I wonder what will happen if I do take off this blinding cloth.  I really wish that someone would tell me.

The last thing I want to talk about is my health.  I'm not just talking about my outward appearance.  My mother said, that when I was born I had a heart problem.  She didn't exactly go into detail about it.  She also said that when I was five, I had a lung problem.  But father says that I'm all better.  Which is a good thing.  I would hate for my mother to worry. 

Wait!  I hear someone opening my bedroom door!



"Seungkwan, I made you some food."  Seungkwan's father came in to put the tray down on the table.

Seungkwan walked to the table, and sat at it with a beaming smile.  His father chuckled and pinched his cheek.  This made Seungkwan's smile radiant.  After sipping the juice his dad brought he cleared his throat.

"Can I see you today?"  Seungkwan asked.

"Not yet, son."  The father walked around the table to massage Seungkwan's shoulder.  "You will one day, I promise."  The father continued after a few minutes.

Seungkwan hid his frown with a fake smile.  He opened his mouth to bring the food in.  He slerped the noodles loudly and drank down the soup it was in.  He wiped his mouth and turned around to face his father.

"Thank you."  He gave a true smile.

"Sure, son."  The father smiled.  "Get ready, shower time is in five minutes."

Seungkwan nodded and stood up.  He picked up the tray of empty dishes, and walked to his bedroom door.  He heard his father run to him and stop him.

"No, son, I'll take care of it."  The father spoke in a worried tone.

Seungkwan bowed and walked to his dresser.  He opened it up to get his night clothes out. 



I assume since it's bath time, it's seven at night.  It doesn't feel like it's night time.. It feels like it's still the afternoon.  Does it really matter though?  Maybe father wants me to shower early tonight... We'll have to see, huh?  I wonder what color my cloth will be tonight.

He walked to the bathroom.  He put his clothes on the counter and took off his day clothes.  He the water and waited.  It's not a sponge bath, it's more so the father knows that Seungkwan is okay. 

The father came into the bathroom.  "Keep your eyes closed."  The father spoke before taking off the cloth.

Seungkwan did what he was told.  Not even when he got water in his eye, did he open his eyes.  When bath time was over, there was a new cloth that was put around his head to cover his eyes.

"What's tonight's color?"  Seungkwan asked with a smile.

"It's blue."  The father said with a returned smile.

Seungkwan was walked to his bed, and laid down.  He received a kiss on the forehead, and a good night.



Life's not too difficult.  I just wish that it would fast forward to the time I can see.  I want to know what my mother looked like.  I heard she was beautiful, and it was passed down to me.  I really want to know though.  All I can do is hope for the best.  But if it means life or death, I suppose keeping this cloth on is for the best...



 



It's been a couple years now.  Everything's just awfull!  Father has collapsed on the floor while I was sleeping the other night!  He didn't make it to the hospital in enough time.  He'd been laying there on the kitchen floor all night.  Today.. is his funeral.  I'll be attending, if I can.  But I don't actually have anyone to take me there.  It's so awful.. I can't even cry correctly!  This darned cloth!  But, I will honor my dad; I won't take the cloth off.  Even though I won't get to see him in my lifetime, maybe one day I'll see a picture.  I need a face to put to his nice and sincere voice...


Wait.. Someone just locked their car.  They're coming in here!  Who could it be?  I'm kinda scared!



The door opened.

"Mr. Seungkwan, is that you?"  Seungkwan heard a new voice.

"T-that's me, who are you?"  Seungkwan responded.

"I'm Choi Vernon.  I'm your new caretaker."  Seungkwan heard a smile in his voice, but sorrow behind his words.

Seungkwan titlted his head downward, and to the side.  "I'm not here to replace anyone, I'm just here to help you with your needs."  Vernon spoke after some time. 

Seungkwan felt his arm being held by the other.  The foreign touch made him slightly jump.   "Please don't be afraid, I won't hurt you.  I promise you that."  Vernon said, noticing the other's reaction.

"What do you look like?"  Seungkwan reached for Vernon's hands.  Vernon cups the other's cheek with one hand, and smiles. 

"Not nearly as handsome as you."  Seungkwan felt heat on his cheeks. 

"C-can I see you today?"  Seungkwan asked.

"No.. Your father's will states that you're not allowed to take off your cloth for awhile."  Vernon replied, sitting them down at the table.

Seungkwan nodded and smiled.  He felt the wood of the table under his finger tips. 

Choi Vernon.  That was his name.  He was the same age as me, and had a nice voice.  From listening to many shows, he sounds like he speaks great English.  I'm good at English too!  So, he took me to the funeral.  He assured me that he'd in fact take care of me.  From his previous statements, it sounds like I will be getting off this cloth soon.  I just hope it's before Vernon dies...




It's been a few months, Vernon has been making me healthy meals and giving me plenty of water.  I like the change, but I also liked the other selection too.  I think if he made food like my parents, that I'd cry.. And crying with this cloth on . 

Today, Vernon goes to the city to meet his parents.  I insisted him to take the day off.  He said he'll be back when he can.  I hope he can spend nice, quality time with his parents.  I'd feel guilty for ruining their day by going with him.  So, it'll be just me in the house today.

I like feeling independent, it gives me a will each day: Using the bathroom by myself, preparing easy foods by myself, and other things.  I finally feel somewhat like a person!    Imma go eat some icecream and listen to the TV. 


It's late at night, and Vernon isn't back yet.  I'm starting to run out of things to listen to on the TV.  I settle with the weather channel, and lie down.  Truthfully, I know if I go to take a shower alone, my father would be upset at me.  What if Vernon's the same way?  I don't want him to feel guilty for my own actions.  That's just not right.  So, I'm just going to lie down on this couch until he comes home. 

Wait.. what was that?  Where did the light to the TV go?  The noise?  It sounded like a big bang!  Oh no, I'm not ready for an intruder!  I hear foot steps at the front door.  Where can I hide?  Oh!  I'll go under the couch.  I'll make sure my legs aren't showing, there! 


"Come out kid!  I know you're here all alone~"  Seungkwan heard a voice. 

The intruder was tall, and had a deep voice.  He swung a bat into the wall, not creating too big of dents.  Seungkwan was shivering and holding his mouth under the couch.  He can't even see the intruder.  It's dark in the room, and he's already wearing a blinding cloth!  So it's not like he could give a detailed decription of the other.  Only that he has a deep voice.

Seungkwan hid his face in his arms as he heard the foot steps getting closer. 

"Where are you~"  The intruder sang.

Seungkwan masked his cowering voice by biting his wrist.  He let out a single tear.  He heard the person go upstairs.  He lifted his cloth to get rid of his tear.  He saw nothing but black under the couch.  He put the cloth back on, and wiped his nose. 

What's happening?  Where's Vernon?  Who is this?  Why does he sound like he wants to hurt me?  What did I do wrong?  When is he going to find me?  Will I be found?  Will Vernon come home and help me? 

Seungkwan stopped asking mental questions as he heard the foot steps go down the stairs.  He stiffened under the couch, and waited for the other to speak.  The steps stopped, and he heard the intruder clear his throat.

"I know that you're hiding somewhere in here.  Count yourself lucky, I'm leaving." 

Seungkwan heard the door being opened and then being closed and locked.  He wasn't for sure if the intruder actually left.  He has no way in knowing.  Then, he heard a car engine turn on.  He heard the horn as the car left.  He sighed in relief.

If he's still here... I'm a gonner...

Seungkwan got out from under the couch, and felt around.  He felt that nothing was disturbed in the house.  He heard the door being opened again.  He cowered in the corner. 

He felt arms being wrapped around him.

"Are you okay?"  He heard Vernon's voice.


 

"Where were you, Vernon!"  Seungkwan cried onto the the older. 

"I'm so sorry.. I was on a date with this person, and they got upset because I kept mentioning you."  Vernon explained.

Seungkwan felt something abstractedly pierce his heart when he heard the words 'on a date.'  He didn't know why he felt mad and sad at the same time. 

"Who was that guy?" 

"Probably her brother.."  Vernon hugged Seungkwan.




Vernon slept in my bed last night.  I insisted him that if he didn't want to, that I'd be okay.  But he said he felt guilty for leaving me alone this late at night.  I know that Vernon cares a lot about me, and I care a lot about him.  I don't know if I could live without him.  I said that about my parents.  Vernon didn't replace them, he just is helping me cope.  I'd probably harm myself if I figured out that he was dead...


"Seungkwan!  I made you some toast!"  Vernon shouted fromt he stairs in a happy tone.

Seungkwan got up from his bed, and stretched.  He put his slippers on, and walked down the steps.  He heard Vernon's smile. 

It sounds awfully weird to say that I hear his smile.  No, it's not weird at all.  I can sense that he is smiling.  It's like.. hmm.. How to put it.. It feels like the sent of fresh candy.  It brings a smile to your face.  And the toast was made perfectly, making me know he's in a good mood.  I smell and hear his smile through his words and his cooking.

"I'm here!"  Seungkwan spoke while he walked with Vernon to the kitchen.  They sat down together, and started eating...
 

 

 

 



Hello, Boo Seungkwan here!  It's been a few years now.  I can't believe that it's been so long!  It seems like time flies by too quickly!  Does it? 

"Can I see you today?"  Seungkwan asked for the nth time since the two met.

"Not today, but tomorrow."  Vernon said with a smile.

"Tomorrow is my birthday!"  Seungkwan clapped.


My 27th birthday.. that's when my dad wants me to take off this cloth.  It's been difficult to restrain myself, but I haven't taken it off yet.  I'm going to miss it, but then I get to see Choi Vernon's face.  He sounds so handsome.. He's so nice to me, I feel like I could let my life be controled by him...  Meaning.. I think I'm in love with him.  Obviously beauty doesn't play a role in my feelings.  Although he's seen my face plenty of times, hhahah.


It was the next day, Seungkwan smiled at the older as he fed him birthday cake.

"I didn't know what to get you.. I ran out of ideas these past years."  Vernon said with a chuckle.

Seungkwan kept his smile and clasped his hands.  "Can I request then?" 

Vernon nodded, but then remembered Seungkwan couldn't see his nod.  "Oh, uhm, sure."  Vernon accidentally made it awkward for himself.

Seungkwan nodded.  "I want a kiss."  Seungkwan tapped his lips twice with his index finger before he gave a teeth smile.

Vernon was taken back from the sudden request.  He doesn't really know what to say.  But he notices that it took Seungkwan a lot of effort to request it, yet he looked like a diva while doing so.

"Alright.."  Vernon gave a serious tone.

He cupped the other's cheeks and moved slowly to the other's face.  Seungkwan felt warm lips on his cold ones.  He liked the sensation it gave.  That and he liked the taste of birthday cake that was still on Vernon's lips. 

The kiss lasted a minute before Vernon slowly detached their lips.

"Thank you, Vernon hyung." 



"Just ten more minutes, and it will be midnight, Seungkwan."  Vernon broke the silence after a few minutes.

I get to see everything in ten minutes.  Appearantly, my father wanted me to see at midnight, which techincally the next day.. I can't wait!  I've been waiting my whole life for this moment.


The minutes pass.  Seungkwan tensed up when he heard the clock go off.  He breathed in deeply, and let it all out.  "I'm ready."

Vernon put his hands around the other's head, holding onto the ends of the cloth.  He slowly untied it.  He took it off, revealing that the other was still closing his eyes. 

"Open on three.  One, two, three."  Vernon counted.

On three, Seungkwan slowly opened his eyes.  The first thing he saw was Vernon.  His sharp jaw bone, his thick eye brows, and his bleached hair.  He saw the house was dim, and the cake was white. 

Seungkwan smiled when he saw Vernon form a smile.

"Welcome to the world, Boo Seungkwan."  Vernon said in a low and relaxing tone.

Seungkwan saw the picture frame he's held for a few years.  He saw his mother and his father in the picture.  He let out a tear, and looked back at Vernon.

"Do you know why I was blinded?"  Seungkwan asked.

"A witch told your parents, that if they didn't wait until your twenty-seventh birthday to let you see, you wouldnt find happiness  nor your true love."  Vernon read the will he brought to the table.

"The witch was right.. I'm happy and in love with you."  Seungkwan gave an open mouth smile.

Vernon smiled back and nodded.


 

 


"Vernon, Can I see you today?" 

"Yes, Seungkwan, you may."




 



Hello!  Thank you all so very much for reading!  I'm sorry it was so short and that it was cheesy.  I'll try to do better with the next story! 

Thank you~~


~~Charlot1081