Warm Welcome

Slightly Warm

~

Just like the day before Chanyeol picked me up, but this time without Hyun. As soon as I got into Chanyeol's Mercedes I realised that the car seat, behind me, was empty- I looked at Chanyeol worryingly. "Hyun is with my mom, I told her that I was going out this morning and she offered to take him to daycare." He said as his eyes were focused on the road. I nodded, feeling a little upset because I wanted to see Hyun plod through the aisle- seeing him being amazed by all the colourful products. I just started ahead of me, watching the other cars drive past, admiring the autumn leaves. Chanyeol had asked me if I wanted the radio on, I just shook my head- enjoying the silence. Seeing his left-hand rest on the steering wheel, gently steering when needing to change direction. While noticing his right hand rest on the gear stick, palm firmly resting on the stick's surface. Being mesmerised by Chanyeol's driving, I didn't catch him staring at me as we pulled up to a stoplight. "Are you okay?" I blinked quickly removing my gaze from his hands. "Yeah, I'm fine," I say, quickly trying to come up with a lie, to make myself less obvious. "I'm just surprised how well you drive." I smile at him nervously, hoping he'd buy whatever I say. "You don't know how to drive?" He snaps his head, returning his glare to the road, continuing to drive as soon as the light turned green once again. "No, I don't. I'd love to, but I've never really had the time nor the chance to." I wasn't lying, I didn't know how to drive. And to be honest, I was scared of the thought of me driving., having so much control just made my heart beat so fast. "Well maybe I can help you find the time and I can teach you myself? I passed the first time so surely I'm capable of teaching you, considering I know all there is to know." Chanyeol chuckled, laughing at his own words. I wasn't too surprised to hear the fact that he had passed the first time, he seemed like the kind of guy to pass a lot of things the first time. "Sure, whenever you have the time. That would be very kind of you." Chanyeol smiled at me while turning left into the store's parking lot. 

"Why don't you go grab a cart, while I park the car?" I nodded, opened the car door and stepped out- being sure not the slam it shut. Chanyeol drove away, while I walked over towards a mass collection of carts sheltered by a pitcher metal shelter. I grabbed ahold of a small cart, and as I pulled it out I felt a large hand on the small of my back. I slowly moved back, dragging the cart, seeing Chanyeol stood slightly behind me. "Shall we head in?" I smile a nodded. We walked through the automated doors, feeling the cool AC hit our faces. "So what do we need to get?" Chanyeol followed me, always standing to my left but slightly behind me. "Well for sweet bread it requires bread flour, sugar, salt, eggs, milk, butter, and tangzhong. But assuming you already have sugar, salt, eggs, and butter- we just need to get bread flour and milk." Chanyeol looked down at me confused. "You memorized all that?" I hummed. "I work in a cafe bakery, you learn things. Besides I love baking- and like I told you earlier I always make this for my roommate." I smiled and continues walking ahead of him. "What on earth is tangzhong?" I approached the aisle full of baking ingredients, reaching for the all-purpose bread flour. "It's just a combination of flour and water, a simple paste." Chanyeol just nodded at me, pretending he knew what I was talking about. We walked through all the isle where all the ingredients I needed were located. Walking passed the aisle where all the fresh fruit were located, I slowly walked passed wanting to walk down there. 

"Go on." Chanyeol took the cart from me, holding at his hand- gesturing me to go down. I strolled down the aisle looking at all the colourful apples, kiwis, pineapples and bananas- until I spotted some seedless red grapes. Picking them up and reading the label. Seeing Chanyeol park the cart beside me. "Put them in the cart if you want them." I turned around doing so. "All done? Or do you want to look around?" "No, I'm done, unless you want to get any extras, maybe something for Hyun?" Chanyeol looked up towards the ceiling of the grocery store, biting the inside of his lip. "Yeah, let's pick him up some chocolate milk." I laughed lowly, walking towards the aisle full with milk, all sizes and flavours. Chanyeol picked up 3 packs of 6 chocolate milk cartons, while I picked a bottle for myself. We then walked towards the check out placing all of our items on the conveyor belt. I stood in front of the cashier grabbing my purse out, while Chanyeol packed the bags. I opened my purse and took my bank card out, Chanyeol coughed catching my attention as well as the cashier's- he pulled out his credit card and handed it to the lady operation the cash register. I moved closer to him, grabbing one on the bags and thanked the cashier. Chanyeol led that way to the car and unlocked the trunk using the keys. "You didn't have to pay for all this you know, it was my idea to make the bread," I exclaimed while loading my bag into the back of the car. "Yes I did, you're making the bread for my son- therefore I pay." He closed the trunk, smiled at me and walked towards the driver seat opening the car and getting in. I on the other hand, slowly moved towards the passenger side, slightly confused by his response.

We pulled up to Chanyeol's apartment, definitely large- but not as big as I had imagined. We both got out and went towards the trunk, unlocking it and grabbing our previous bags. Chanyeol led the way, me not knowing where to go not having been here before. We walked through the main entrance, assuming it is some sort of reception- as there was a woman at a desk who greeted Chanyeol as 'Mr. Park', he smiled and nodded at her- I kept my head down while I walked past, not wanting myself to be seen. We approached the elevator, as soon as they opened we got in and Chanyeol pressed the button with the number 12 hovering above it. The ride is quiet, similar to the car journey on the way to the store and the way back. Chanyeol lifted his arm, looking at his watch. I did that same, trying not to be so obvious. 1 pm. "Hyun and my mother should be back." Chanyeol didn't look over to me, he just focused on the increasing numbers above the elevator doors, almost approaching the 12th floor. Meeting his mother brought a wave of anxiety, worried that his mother wouldn't be sure with his son leaving his grandchild with a young twenty-year-old- worrying that I may have no experience or care to look after a child. The elevator doors dinged. The doors opened. Chanyeol walked through the opened doors and headed towards a white door with the number '72' on a grey plaque. Chanyeol put his hand in his pocket selecting the key that unlocks his apartment door, inserting it into the locked hand turning it to the right, then pushing to door open. Me behind him, hiding once again.

"DADDY!" I hear, seeing two little hands wrap around Chanyeol's leg. "Hello Hyun, I have a surprise for you." Hyun peeks behind his father's leg, his eyes lit up as soon as he saw me standing 3 feet away from him and his father holding the blue bag from the store earlier. "LADY!" Hyun runs towards me, wrapping his arms around my legs, as much as his little arms can hold. I kneel and hug Hyun properly. "Hello little man, miss me?" I whisper in his ear, feeling him nod against my head. I place my hand on his padded and lift him, allowing him to wrap his legs around my waist and rest his head on my shoulder. Chanyeol held the door waiting for me to enter. I do so with Hyun attached to me. Chanyeol leads the way to the kitchen, placing his bag on the island that sat in the middle of his kitchen, I follow suit, seeing who I assume his mother wiping down the work surface. " Hello, mother." Chanyeol smiles, walking towards her, hugging her, she hugs him back. "Did you enjoy your morning?" She removed herself from his larger frame, fixing her hair then fixing Chanyeol's shirt. "Yes, we got everything we need didn't we." Chanyeol and his mother looked over to me. I could feel the blood rush to my cheeks. "Urmm yes, we did." I laugh nervously, Hyun poking my cheek and grabbing my chin. "Mother, this is Areum she's the girl I told you about. The one who works for Youngjin. She kindly took my offer in helping me when I'm busying with work." Chanyeol's mother still stared at me as he introduced me. "Hello Mrs, I'll be sure to look after your grandson exceptionally." I smile as best I could in these awkward circumstances. "Of course, my son is very smart and wouldn't hire just anyone." She walked towards me, smiling, patting me on the back and kissing Hyun on the forehead. Hyun quickly rubbing is away with his shirt. "Well Chanyeol I better be off, your sister has been asking me to meet her for lunch. I hope you all enjoy the rest of your day." Chanyeol walked by me, seeing his mother off. I sat Hyun down on one of the seats in front of the island. "Do you want to help me make the sweet bread, or do you just want to watch." I already knew Hyun's answer. "I want to watch." I was shocked, confused a young boy not wanting to help, getting messy, having fun. "Are you sure?" Hyun nodded, "Daddy can help you." "What can I help out with?" I turned Chanyeol returned, without his coat and his shirt, now just in a simple plain white t-shirt. "Hyun doesn't want to help bake the sweet bread, but instead he wants to watch you help me make it." I gave Chanyeol a look, showing him just how confused and baffled I was by Hyun's rejection. "You'll have to teach all the techniques if you want this bread done properly." I laughed. "Of course, I wouldn't leave you in the dark." 

~