How Much Did Irene Pay You?

Bent

“Hey! Wake up! You have ten seconds to wake up and explain who you are, and what you did with the girl that was here, or you'll regret it.”

 

“It’s my first day off, let me sleep,” Irene moans, and waves for Seulgi to go away.

 

Irene’s head is pounding, and she groans at Seulgi trying to wake her up. She feels like she has a hangover, even though she didn't drink last night. Irene moves to turn on her side, but stops when she feels something sharp pressing into . With her eyes still closed, she reaches up to her neck, and feels the blade of a knife. She opens her eyes in panic, and scoots back as far as she can on the bed. She stares at her girlfriend, unable to understand why Seulgi would be threatening her like this.

 

“S-Seul- Wh-what are you doing?”

 

“Are you going to explain to me who you are now? How do you know my name?”

 

“What do you mean? Did you forget your own girlfr…” Irene trails off as she realizes her voice isn’t her own.

 

Irene looks at her hands. They’re bigger and darker than her own hands. “Oh my god, what did that lady do to me?”

 

Seulgi is still facing Irene, knife in hand, expressions of fear and confusion blending on her face.

 

“You better explain why you’re here, right now, or I’m going to lose it,” Seulgi threatens with a stern voice.

 

Irene has never seen Seulgi like this before, and can't help but think it’s pretty attractive.

 

Irene throws her hands up in surrender, “Okay, I don’t really know what’s going on either, but let me explain at least what I do know. Can you please put the knife down?”

 

Seulgi hesitates, but lowers her hand. She’s still holding the knife, but Irene is at least glad that it isn’t aimed at her anymore.

 

“Yesterday on my way home from class I saw a fortune teller who was giving free fortunes, and I figured it wouldn’t hurt to do it. The lady ended up using her blood to do magic, which is like… never good in fantasy stories. She told me my life would change tomorrow, and I guess she meant-”

 

“That you’d turn into a guy?”

 

Irene flinched at the words, they almost felt like an attack. “That’s what I was worried about… I was hoping I just had a deeper than average voice for a girl… and that it was just the TV remote in between my legs or something.”

 

“You expect me to believe that? You expect me to believe that some lady turned you into a guy with magic?” Seulgi shakes her head.

 

“Seulgi, please believe me. How can I prove it to you?” Irene asks desperately.

 

“Hmmm,” Seulgi pauses for a while, “What’s the name of that song Wendy and I are writing?”

 

“Kingdom Come,” Irene says without hesitation.

 

Seulgi makes a face like she’s impressed. “Good guess.”

 

“It wasn’t a guess! I know, because I’m Irene!”

 

“I can’t believe you, I just can’t. I’ll trust you for now, though. Through you actions I’ll determine if you really are Irene, just because you seem really desperate for me to,” Seulgi laughs.

 

“Right now really isn’t the time to make fun of me.”

 

“Awe c’mon, lighten up. If you really are Irene, you get to live out the stereotypical girls’ biggest question: ‘What would I do if I was a guy for a day?’ The answers are usually inappropriate, but if you wanna do those things, I won’t judge.” Seulgi laughs again.

 

Irene shakes her head, and rubs her face in annoyance that Seulgi thinks this is some kind of joke. Irene stands up out of the bed. “I’m going to go look in the mirror now. Will you stand behind me in case I faint?” Her new height shocks her. Seulgi is so small now.

 

“Sure,” Seulgi snickers.

 

 

Irene is honestly pretty impressed. She looks like that one actor from Strong Girl Bong-soon. She thinks his name is Ji Soo. She does feel weird seeing this new large man-body of hers wearing her “safe” underwear, though. Irene realizes she can pull off a really nice smolder with this new face, and starts making weird faces in the mirror.

 

“What are you doing?” Seulgi giggles, a little judgement in her voice.

 

“Listen here, kid. I have a whole new face, I need to see its capabilities.”

 

“So what’s your name?”

 

“Irene.”

 

“No. I do not feel comfortable calling you that. Irene is my tiny girlfriend. You are a large strange man.”

 

Irene thinks for a while about what her new name should be, trying not to be offended that Seulgi called her strange.

 

“How about… Ren? That’s like part of Irene.”

 

“That’s up to you. I don’t know why you won’t just tell me your real name, this prank was funny while it lasted, but we gotta get back to reality. How much did Irene pay you?”

 

“Weird, I hear like a buzzing sound.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Oh! There it is again.”

 

Seulgi punches Irene’s arm, “You’re mean.”

 

“Whatever, I’m going to talk to the fortune teller now, and ask her to change me back. I know I said I wanted to change things about my life, but I didn’t mean like this.” Irene's stomach drops when she realizes what she said.

 

Seulgi looks at Irene, a new look of concern on her face, her voice softer than before, “What things did you want to change?”

 

“I thought you didn’t believe that I am Irene,” Irene says, avoiding the question.

 

Seulgi pouts, not knowing how to respond. "Well, I'm going to go get a coffee or something, and go for a long walk to try to process that you could possibly be Irene. Can I tell Wendy, or do you want this to be a secret?"

 

"Well, considering that not even my own girlfriend believes me, I'd say let's keep it a secret."

 

Irene goes to kiss her goodbye. Seulgi stops her by putting her finger on Irene’s mouth, “I’m in an amazing lesbian relationship.” Seulgi waves as she walks out of the bedroom. “Talk to you later, Ren.”

 

Seulgi was always pretty clingy, this whole playing hard to get thing makes Irene feel strange.

 

“Wait. I don’t have any clothes that will fit this body.”

 

Irene rummages through her closet, finding a couple over-sized shirts, but none were big enough still. All of Seulgi’s clothes are too small, too.

 

“Seulgi,” Irene whines, “Will you do me a favor?”

 

 

A few hours later, Irene is on her way to the fortune teller in her brand new clothes Seulgi bought for her. Irene thinks Seulgi went a little overboard. She looks like a snazzy young CEO of a video game company, or something. All Irene really wanted was a t-shirt, and jeans. In this outfit, she looks like a male model, so the eyes of many women and men followed her down the street.

 

Irene finally arrives at the building where the fortune teller performed magic on her, and finds it to be run down, and abandoned. Irene almost slumps to the ground, knees weak from defeat, “You have got to be kidding me.”

 

She tries to open the door, but it's locked. Irene is confused on how the fortune teller could move all of her stuff out of here in one night. Irene starts contemplating the theory that maybe the room inside was just a facade caused by magic. Irene pulls out her phone, and texts her friend Yeri.

 

Hey. Can we meet today? I'm having a crisis. You're probably not going to believe me at first, but I just need you to hear me out. I don't know what to do.

 

Sure, meet me at my place at 7. Joy is staying at a friends so we'll have the place to ourselves. Bring wine, I'll order pizza~