Chapter 5

Lost Stars

10.30 pm

The whole ride on the taxi was silent with only the radio playing Christmas music before the driver changed it to another station.

Chaeyeon glanced at Jaehyun from where she sat wondering why he had become a bit aloof all of sudden. She had noticed this the moment they left the hotel. He had grown quiet and a bit distant from the way he sat a bit far from her.

The latter action stung her a little because she thought they had grown closer and maybe comfortable with each other. She wanted to ask him what’s wrong but she knew he’s not going to answer truthfully.

She had also noticed that he was contemplating hard about something from the way he frowned and stared out at the window. He’s been like that ever since they got in the taxi.

Chaeyeon bit her lip, hesitating for a moment before placing her hand on his. That shook him back to the present as he looked at her.

“Is everything okay?” she asked. His hand was surprisingly warm and she flushed despite herself. This was the second time they had touched but this time they were in a more intimate space except for the taxi driver.

Jaehyun didn’t answer for a while and just stared at her with an unreadable expression which made her uncomfortable as she can’t really discern what he was thinking.

Finally he sighed. “I’m fine. Just….something on my mind. Sorry to make you worry.” He smiled, bringing forth the dimples that bracketed on both of his cheeks and still she didn’t let go of her hand on his. She kind of liked it really. Along the way, he shocked her by placing his hand on top of hers and gently her with his thumb.

Chaeyeon could feel her cheeks warmed up even more. She glanced at him to see Jaehyun still staring outside the window with the tip of his ear gone red. Looks like she wasn’t the only affected that display of affection which pleased her to no end.

All of a sudden the car stopped and she saw that they had arrived at her apartment.

She was rummaging her handbag when she heard him asked. “You lived here?” he sounded genuinely surprised at that

“Yeah. I lived here for about three years now.” She answered and handed the cash to the driver who thanked her.

She opened the door before turning back to face Jaehyun. “Thank you for accompanying me tonight even though…it was unexpected on your part.”

A twinge of sadness came to her then. After this they probably won’t even see each other again. Sure she could ask for his phone number or from Seokmin as well but she’s not the type to even ask for someone number unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Should she? She had enjoyed his company throughout the night and he was easy to talk to as well. Plus she didn’t forget the rose that he gave her. She rarely if ever received a flower from guys she dated. It was nice really.

“It’s alright. I had enjoyed myself as well at the party.” He said.

They stared at each other for a few minute, just taking in the other’s presence before she regretfully ended it by exiting the car.

At the lobby of her apartment Chaeyeon let out a sigh. In the end she didn’t have the courage to ask. Maybe she’ll ask Seokmin tomorrow.

Suddenly she heard something slammed shut hard behind her following a car driving away. Her eyes widened as she saw Jaehyun walking towards her with determination on his steps.

“Aren’t you going home?” she asked, baffled by his action.

At first he looked down on the ground in uncertainty before letting his gaze up. “I know this maybe seems a bit weird for me to ask…considering….what you know but” he trailed off and his lips nervously before continuing “Would you be willing to see me again after this?”

 

***

Jaehyun knew he was taking a big risk on this and yet he didn’t care. He had already made his decision back at the hotel.

It took him a while to muster up the courage as back at the taxi he had intended to ask for her phone number but missed his chance when the car jerked to a stop in front of her apartment building. By then he had thought of just asking for Chaeyeon’s number from Yuna. That is before he saw something on her face. Two opposite kind of emotion. Was it expectation he saw before the disappointment he had seen? And if so why?

He thought back on the way she acted especially the thumb gesture. It was unintentional on his part and yet she didn’t pull away and he felt how right it was between the two of them.

What if she felt the same thing as you do? A voice whispered in his head and he felt his heart beating fast a little.

That’s all it takes for him to take action and here he was feeling vulnerable and anxiously waiting for her reply. He had thought of the consequences if she did ended up rejecting him and found out that it didn’t matter that much because by the end of it, maybe he’ll finally be able to let her go. A sad thought if he ever knew of one but he can’t live like that wondering on all the ‘what if’s’ if he didn’t try ask her or learn on what she thought of him.

“I’m sorry what?”

Okay not the reply he was expecting. He did take her by surprise with that question and he repeated it to her again.

This time he looked directly at her face, gauging for any signs that she was clearly interested at him as well.

“I know Seokmin told you everything about me including the rose incident one but I just wanted to let you know that I’m interested and wanted to get to know you more unlike the last time.”

“Why didn’t you?” she asked curiously.

He gulped before saying. “Ever heard of the term ‘Pie in the Sky?’”

She nodded.

Jaehyun sighed and gave her a sad smile. “To me back then you’re pretty much someone unobtainable and way out of my league as Seokmin liked to say to me.” He chuckled when he saw the irritation visible on her face as if she was angry at his friend’s word. “And I thought he was right really. I mean you’re really pretty and popular that I don’t think I even have the chance.”

“But the rose?”

“I was planning on just giving it to you and way too ready to face your rejection.” Jaehyun answered truthfully. “I think at that time I just want to let you know but I didn’t go through with it as you already learned.” He stopped when he remembered seeing Jungkook talking to her and how he felt at the time.

Hopelessness and devastation.

So maybe a part of him wish for that one miracle to happen between the two of them but at last it was not his luck after all. He wasn’t even really even ready to face her rejection like he thought he would. Seeing the both of them together, they actually made a perfect pair that he felt he didn’t deserve to give her the rose.

“You should know, Jungkook and I, well we used to date back during middle school before breaking up. What you saw that day, he was asking me back and I refused. Something you should have known if you stay longer to watch.” She said the last part sulkily.

“I know.” Seokmin told Jaehyun the next day after graduation.

Both didn’t say anything before she broke it. “I like you Jaehyun. I really do and my answer to you question is….”

This is it, he thought as he averted his gaze away from her.

“Yes”

Jaehyun felt the air rushed out his lungs as he heard her answer. He quickly looked up at her to see her smiling shyly at him. For a minute her, he just kept staring at her not believing her answer and his luck most of all.

“R-really?” It took him quite a while to find his voice again.

She nodded.

Elation and relief coursed through him as he proceeded to wrap his arms around her and felt hers on him not long after.

They stay that way for a moment just like that taking in the other’s presence and warmth. That is before they heard the elevator door slid opened and Chaeyeon dragged him inside with her, already deciding that he’s going to stay the night with her.

That night as Jaehyun laid there with Chaeyeon sleeping, his arm curled around her, he knows one thing for sure. He received the perfect gift for Christmas this year which funny enough he hadn’t even wish for anything ever since he was a teen and yet here he was lying beside the woman whom he had a crush on back in high school and now became his girlfriend.

She was his and he was hers.

With Chaeyeon by his side, Jaehyun couldn’t think of a better way to spend his Christmas and to end his days.

He hoped it will remain that way between them for a long time because he’s not planning on letting her go anytime soon and he could see that she too felt the same way about him.

Jaehyun kissed her on the forehead, silently thanking her before letting himself fall asleep. He can’t wait for what’s in store in the future for the both of them.