Chapter 1

Lost Stars

24th December

7 p.m.

Chaeyeon stared mindlessly outside the glass window of the café she’s currently occupying for the moment while waiting for her friend who was running a bit late in their appointment.

No matter, she told herself. At least the café kept her warm enough from the cold outside. Plus it’s been a while since she went to this particular café due to the amount of work that kept her occupied for the past few weeks.

She watched as the snow kept falling to the ground and the people hastening in their paces to go home to avoid the cold weather especially since it’s the winter season. The weather could be unpredictable to say the least. Although there were some who were unbothered and took on a more leisure walk.

She noted that the streets and the shops around were covered with glittering decorations and glowing bulbs. There’s even a big Christmas tree that sat not far from the café she was in, also adorn with lights from top to bottom with a silver star placed on top of it. In other words the streets were well illuminated for tomorrow Christmas celebration.

Then a ringing sound from inside her handbag that told her of an incoming message shook her out of her musing. It was from her secretary reminding her of the office Annual Christmas party that’s usually held three days after Christmas.

Chaeyeon blew out a breath and found herself dreading to attend it for the past three years. It’s not that she have a problem with the party. In fact it was the contrary. At the private law firm she worked at, they have a motto of ‘Work hard and Play hard’ which she thought they took literally but even then she found herself enjoying every party the firm held. Her boss though stern rewarded his employees greatly.

In those three years whenever the Christmas party came around, she tried to make several excuses as to why she can’t go knowing each one of them was lame and yet in the end, she came after much persuasion of several of her colleagues.

Oh no. The problem with this incoming Christmas Party was that she had grown tired of attending them solo. Now that she thought of it, many of her colleagues always come with their significant others. Someone whom they can talk to while Chaeyeon felt like a wallflower among her colleagues.

Her fingers hovered at the screen, she contemplated whether to lie to her secretary that she’s not going to attend it, opting to go back home to her parents when Chaeyeon suddenly remembered telling her secretary about her parents’ vacation.

She sighed heavily at that. Her parents had left the country trading the cold weather for a much for warmer one somewhere. In fact they didn’t even tell Chaeyeon of their surprise vacation until her mother messaged her when both parents were already on board the airplane.

Bad luck for her.

In the end, Chaeyeon replied to her secretary with a short ‘Noted’ and put the phone back in her handbag. She exhaled a heavy breath already imagining what she’s going to endure again just like the past couple of years. Attend alone, socialise, eat, mingle with couples, probably get drunk, socialise some more and went home.

She especially hated that last part.

Taking a bite of the coffee cake, she mulled over some things in her life. When it comes to her career, Chaeyeon was fortunate and grateful enough to land a job at a private law firm after graduating from a prestigious law school. Her work kept her satisfied and the salary weren’t bad at all. She had recently moved to a much more affordable and spacious apartment for herself and even bought her parents a new car.

However when it comes to relationships, that’s where she faltered a bit. Growing up, she made a promise to herself that she wouldn’t have any relationships until after high school which she did accomplished though that didn’t stop the many confessions and letters she had received over the years at school. She always felt bad and guilty every time she rejected every single one of them but there’s nothing she can do.

A promise is a promise and she always stick by them.

Now that she thought of it, most of her relationships ended amicably on both sides. No drama or heart-breaking moments whatsoever. Both just drifted apart from each other spending less and less time with each other as life intervened. The first few months into the relationship there’s definitely those heart fluttering moments of going into a relationship but unfortunately it didn’t last.

Since her break up with Mingyu four years ago right after graduating from law school, she didn’t pursue or have any interest in relationships whatsoever because she had a job to think of. She was lucky enough to be hired at her current firm. In those three years she just focused on her job and herself most of all.

Now that it’s the wintery season and Christmas most of all, seeing all the couples walking down the street, she felt envious.

She huffed to herself and wondering why she’s turning broody all of a sudden but she couldn’t stop the thought running through her mind.

She would admit to herself at least that lately she had been feeling lonely.

Chaeyeon was taking another bite of the cake when she heard someone say ‘Sorry I’m late again’ to her only to reveal a panting Yuna with her cheeks flushed from the running and the cold weather outside.

She watched her friend took off her jacket and just sat taking in more oxygen which she let.

It took her a few minute before her friend spoke again “Sorry Chaeyeon-ah. I had to do some last minute Christmas shopping just now and the queue was so long at the cashier.” Yuna apologised to her.

Chaeyeon smiled. “It’s alright. I thought you already went shopping for presents last time for your family three days ago.” She furrowed her brow in question.

The server came at that moment to take in both girls’ order. After the server left, she replied with a nod to her friend. “I did but apparently I forgot Dokyeom’s present and really another reason for my lateness just now because I really had no idea what to give him this time.”

“Must have been tough to outrival the gift he gave you last year.” Chaeyeon grinned as she remembered her friend telling her that Dokyeom had gifted her with a necklace that seems, in her friend’s opinion cost quite a bit of money that she was reluctant to wear them first.

“You have no idea.” Yuna mumbled and Chaeyeon glanced down at the necklace worn on her Yuna’s throat. The design was simple but the thought behind it was worth more than the price itself.

Both girls talked and laughed, catching up on what’s been going on in their life since the last time they had met.

A beeping sound came from Yuna’s phone signalling an incoming call which she answered. Chaeyeon guessed it was probably Dokyeom from the way her friend was smiling bashfully. After the call ended, she pocketed her phone away.

“Sorry. That was Dokyeom. Do you mind if he came here? He’s hungry right now and hasn’t eaten anything since lunch.” Yuna asked.

Chaeyeon shook her head. “I don’t mind.” Though, she thought to herself, she didn’t know if she can endure another one of their bout of skinship in front of her without feeling jealous at their relationship.

He arrived five minute later greeting and apologising both girls before seating next to Yuna. The couples chatted happily among themselves before they were temporarily interrupted by the server asking for Dokyeom’s order. Then the couple resumed with their talking.

Chaeyeon took this time to observe the two of them.

When Yuna first introduced Dokyeom as her boyfriend to Chaeyeon, she was surprised to say the least. Not because he wasn’t handsome or good looking but he was someone Chaeyeon recognised back in high school. Though they had never talk to each other but she had seen him around with his friends during lunch break playing online games on their phone.

It seemed he had recognised her as well judging by the way he looked at her with a stun expression before composing himself.

“So do you have any plans for tomorrow Chaeyeon-ah?” Yuna asked her while her boyfriend ate his dish that was served to him.

“No. Looks like it’s going to be a quiet Christmas for me this year considering my parents are away for a couple of days.” She explained to her friend of her parents’ vacation. “I’m just going to stay at home and rest but I do an annual Christmas party held by the firm three days from now and I’m already making up excuses in my head on why I don’t want to go.”

“Why?” Yuna asked curiously.

“Well to tell you the truth it’s getting tiring going the same party every year and having to just look at couples all around you.” She miserably sighed.

It didn’t take for Yuna to learn that what Chaeyeon was trying to say underneath it all was that she’s becoming lonely. She knew the reason why her friend had remain single after a breakup in college. Her friend was just too career driven and so intensely focus on herself that at times it worried Yuna if her friend had no interest in relationships whatsoever and decided to be married to her career but now she could see there’s still hope for Chaeyeon.

“Have you tried asking any of you guy friends to accompany you before this?”

“I did thought of that but I don’t feel like going with any one of them.”

“Why?”

“I don’t want to trouble them plus I’m just too lazy to ask them really. I could have but I don’t want to.” Chaeyeon cast sheepish look at her friend.

“How about going with my friend then?” Dokyeom asked out of the blue which made both girls turned their head to him. Surprised and bemused by his sudden question.

“Excuse me?”

He sipped his drink first before answering. “Like I said how about going with my friend to your party?”

Chaeyeon saw a glint of amusement and mischief when he said it.

She furrowed her eyebrows feeling wary all of a sudden. “I don’t know.”

“He’s actually someone you know. I think.”

“Who?” Yuna leaned towards her boyfriend curious as to who it was like Chaeyeon did.

Someone she knew?

“No way. Chaeyeon have to give me her words that she’ll go with my friend.” Dokyeom feeling smug that he got the upper hand in this situation. He thought of this idea while silently listening to both girls’ conversation and when Chaeyeon said she didn’t have a plus one to go with her for the party.

Plus he had a debt to settle with this one particular friend of his.

However he realised Chaeyeon wasn’t as curious as he thought she was when she had an annoyed expression and said “If that’s the case then no thanks. I would rather attend it alone.”

Flustered and taken aback by the change of attitude, he hastily asked “H-H-hey! Aren’t you curious just a little bit who it was?”

She shook her head.

“This guy knows you and has a crush on you throughout high school though I think you probably wouldn’t remember him.” Dokyeom confessed.

Her brows shot up. “Who is it?” Her voice rose as she stood up from her seat. Dokyeom and Yuna leaned back startled by the sudden outburst. There were murmurs heard around the three of them only for Chaeyeon to realise all eyes were on them. She gave an apologetic look and sat down. She took a deep breath trying to calm herself.

Dokyeom really dropped a bombshell on her.

Wait. She stilled as a sudden question went through her head.

Why did she react like that just now? He said his friend had a crush on her during high school. It shouldn’t matter to her because during the following years after high school she did occasionally bumped into some of the guys that she rejected and they clearly were happy and move on. She didn’t feel anything other than wishing them the best.

So why now with this guy? Just the thought of a guy having a crush on her send her into an immediate outburst.

Maybe she was lonely than she thought she was, Chaeyeon thought gloomily.

Ironic really when back in the days, it used to be her at the end of the receiving line. Guess she didn’t really think much on the guys’ feelings when she blatantly rejected their confessions.

Exhaling a breath, she looked back at the couple. “Tell me then about him?”

“Would you go with him then?” Dokyeom asked after several minutes of silence.

What did she have to lose anyway? It’s just for one day. “I’ll consider it.”

The smug expression came back and he proceeded to tell her of this friend of his.