Chapter 2

Lost Stars

24th December

8.25 p.m.

“You did what?” Jaehyun didn’t know if he heard his friend right on the other side of the phone. He also didn’t care that his voice rose in an octave and that his friend would flinch from it.

“I set you up with someone and told her you would be her date at her upcoming Christmas Party.” Either Seokmin ignore Jaehyun’s tone or he’s just that unapologetic for what he did.

Jaehyun leaned on his elbow on the table and rubbed his temple feeling a headache coming not only from the phone call but also the amount of paperwork scattered in front of him.

“Why?”

“Jae you’re always so busy with your work throughout the years and you don’t even find the time to date much less searching for a girlfriend since three years ago.” Jaehyun pressed his lips together knowing that Seokmin was referring to Jaehyun’s break up with Jiho which in his case ended amicably and the feeling was mutual on her part.

There were no hard feelings between him and Jiho but he was left with a feeling of emptiness and loneliness after that.

Ever since then he practically just buried himself with his work, telling himself that he’s not interested in having a relationship when in fact really none of the women he met caught his attention to even make him want to have a relationship. He went on a couple of dates with several women but there’s just nothing come out of it that in the end he didn’t even bothered with it anymore.

“I just don’t have the time for anything right now other than my work.” He said. The only answer he can come up with hoping that would be the end of it.

But no. His friend was stubborn at this point insisting “Come on. Are you really going to spend your Christmas alone again this year? Isn’t time for you…..I don’t know look for someone?”

He was about to speak when his friend continued “Plus this event with her, it’s only going to be for one night. You just have to wear a formal outfit and just accompanied her throughout the night so she’s not alone by herself. That’s it. It’s not like I’m telling you to date her immediately.” Seokmin stated and in a conspiracy whisper said also “A bonus is that I can tell that you’re definitely going to like her the moment you saw her.”

Jaehyun furrowed his brow wondering what his friend was talking about especially on the last part.

“Why me then? You could have set her up with anyone else.” He was getting stubborn too here not wanting to go by prolonging the conversation with another excuse so his friend can get the message that he’s not interested at all.

Jaehyun heard his friend released a long sigh. “I know that but I promised her on the spot when she told my girlfriend. I forgot to tell you she’s Yuna’s friend since high school.”

High school? “Do I know her?” he questioned while his mind was racing trying to remember the faces Yuna’s friend whom she had been close with. Some were vague while some he vividly remember but don’t know the names.

“Most definitely but I think you’re going to remember when you see her.”

Something about the tone of his friend caught his attention. He just couldn’t discern it.

“What’s her name?” He asked warily and was a bit intrigue by now.

“Not telling. It will ruin the surprise I have for you.” Seokmin said in a sing song voice.

He rolled his eyes before asking again. “Tell me truth. Why did you promise me to her?”

There was a prolong silence on the other line before he heard chattering in the background and something akin to a door slamming. “Jae, Yuna and I have been worried about you. You’re clearly burned out as it is. The last time we met, I can see you’re really tired and correct me if I’m wrong but don’t you think it’s about time you meet someone new? Like I said before I’m not telling you to date her after the event but if you two hit it off, be my guest then. Who knows what might happen between the two of you next.”

That got deep way too quickly, Jaehyun thought to himself. “You sound like my mom just now.” He joked. The conversation did somehow remind him of a talk he had with his mother months ago.

“Sorry man. I’m just worried.”

Jaehyun pursed his lips together. What his friend said was actually true. At times, when he looked at couples whether it’s young or old walking down the streets, he felt slightly envious and when he lay down on his bed, he would occasionally glanced at the side of the bed wishing a woman would be there next to him.

“And even if you’re not doing it for Yuna’s friend, do it for me please because I made a stupid bet with Yuna a couple of minutes ago that if you didn’t go with her friend, she’ll take away my laptop for the next three days.” Seokmin’s voice interrupted his musing.

Jaehyun grinned “And what if I did go with her friend?”

“Well……it’s a secret. I have something special plan for her this Christmas and consider this my Christmas gift to you. As a thank you for helping me a couple of years ago.”

Jaehyun arched a brow and again wondering what his friend was talking about this time around. He decided not to ask knowing his friend was going to give him a vague answer.

Nonetheless, he agreed with his friend worries.

He was tired actually. No he’s exhausted, not from just work but with his relationship status. Being single for way too long had become dull to him. Although he told others that he’s fine being single, it didn’t help ease his longing and loneliness inside.

Even sitting and eating alone did make him self-conscious. Maybe this time something might happen to him just like his friend said confidently.

Plus what’s the harm anyway in just going to this event with Yuna’s friend? It won’t kill him anyway.

“Seokmin. Tell Yuna she’s not going to take your laptop away for the next three days because I’m going.”

He could hear his friend saying ‘Yes’ out loud and probably did a victory dance as well which amused him to no end.

“So tell me more about this event of her?” He asked after giving his friend a moment to relish his victory over his girlfriend.

Seokmin relayed what he was told to him from the venue, date and time to the dress code. Jaehyun was also reminded by his friend to have something with him so his date can recognise him since the event was going to be attended not only the employees but guests who were specially invited by the firm’s founder.

“Got it.” he affirmed to his friend. “And one more thing, sorry for making you two worried. I know you meant well but it’s just been a bit stressful for me.” He apologised.

“Don’t worry about it. I understand.”

“Thanks.” He said before ending the call and resumed back to his work.