Chapter 3

Lost Stars

27th December

7.30 p.m.

“Thank you” he said to the taxi driver before closing the door. He faintly heard the car drove away behind him as he stood in front of a well-known hotel establishment in the city and felt the familiar clenching around his stomach.

Just standing there, he’s already questioning his rationale as to why he agreed to this in the first place recalling back in his head the conversation he had with his friend.

Back at his apartment, one hour before he was optimistic to say the least and was actually looking forward to going these past three days. Now on the day of the event itself, he wasn’t so sure anymore.

Jaehyun took a series of long breaths before letting them out trying to calm both his mind and nervousness. Oh yeah he was definitely feeling all types of nervous as he should be because he was in an unfamiliar environment attending an office party with unfamiliar faces hosted by his mysterious date’s firm. He didn’t even know her name and how she looked and yet here he was agreeing to go after a couple of persuasion from his friend.

For a couple of seconds, he contemplated on bailing and later messaged his friend with an excuse as to why he can’t come but knew he couldn’t do it. He’s not the type to go back on his words and plus a part of him was curious of his date’s identity when he thought again of Seokmin’s word.

“I think you’re going to remember when you see her”

These past few days, he pretty much gave little thought to it and was just going to go with the flow.

He then glanced down at the single rose he held in his hand and immediately he was brought back to a memory of a younger teen nervously holding a rose, trying to muster up the courage to confess on the day of his high school graduation. He smiled as he remembered the nostalgic memory.

Exhaling another breath out knowing that he was just stalling his time standing there, Jaehyun walked towards the hotel entrance, giving a curt nod at the porter who opened the door for him and several other guests behind him.

He pressed the Up button and patiently waited as the arrow overhead the door descended slowly to the lobby floor. While he was waiting he was joined by two couples waiting for the elevator and also dressed up like he was. He wandered if all of them were going to the same floor. He checked his phone and read the note he wrote in for the time and location of the event.

The ding sound came and the door slid opened revealing it to be unoccupied. He let the couples walked in first before going in last. He noticed that all of them were going to the same destination. The door closed and the elevator ascended.

While the couples chattered quietly at their own corners at the side, Jaehyun was left standing there in the centre trying not to feel self-conscious again at the thought that he’s alone with two couples.

He idly stared at the ground for a long time and didn’t even realised they had already reached the destined floor until he heard someone asked him. “Excuse me? Is this floor going up?”

That snapped Jaehyun back to the present. “Ah no. Sorry I was just going to come out.” He apologised and hastily rushed out while the other guy went in.

In front of him, he was greeted with several long glass windows covered with curtains overlooking the city. For a moment he just stood there and admired the scenes below him before turning to the direction where he knew the party was being held.

According to his friend, the event was held in a banquet hall and judging by the amount of chattering heard and the guests kept entering, the place was surely a bit pack by now.

He felt his stomach knotted again and had to rest his hand on it. With each step he took, the feeling kept getting worse that he had to take in several deep breaths and exhaling it out before feeling somewhat calm.

Standing at the door entrance, his gaze scanned among the many unknown faces that filled the place chattering, drinking and laughing with each other. The decorations though, he was a bit overwhelmed by it. From top to bottom, it literally screamed Christmas in your face. He rarely had seen that many decorations except in shopping malls and on the streets.

Observation aside, Jaehyun silently hoped this date of his would recognise him immediately and brought him inside instead of letting him stood there like an idiot.

He was getting anxious by the minute until he saw someone, a woman approaching him out of the corner of his eye. Turning, he was ready to greet her with a smile and introduced himself but he didn’t have the chance. Just standing in front of him was a familiar face. One that he never thought would see again.

“Jaehyun.” She said his name with a smile.

***

Even when someone tried to engage in a conversation with her, Chaeyeon was only half listening to them. It’s not that she wasn’t interested. She was most of the time but it’s just that day her mind was on somewhere else entirely. Specifically a particular someone that Seokmin had arranged for her.

The whole time her colleagues were talking around her, she kept glancing at the door wondering whether if he will come or just bailed on her at the last minute. She hoped it’s not the latter one. She was getting nervous and antsy by the minute when there’s still no sign of him.

Although Seokmin had told her enough of Jaehyun and showing a picture of him, inside she was ashamed to learn that she couldn’t remember his face. She did have a vague memory of a boy who sat behind her in class and had once helped her with her English homework but other than that he didn’t leave quite an impression on her.

Imagine her surprised when she saw his picture. It was definitely not who she remembered but then again don’t people’s face change a bit and they matured a lot over the years after high school?

Chaeyeon checked her watch and again looked at the door. To her elation, Jaehyun did appear this time standing on the entrance door

“Excuse me” she said to her colleagues and walked up to him.

He obviously didn’t see her at first as she saw his gaze wandered around the place, searching for her and taking in the whole decorations around the banquet hall. She had to admit, the decorations were a little overboard to her taste but if that’s what the boss want, she’s not complaining.

He obviously sensed her coming because he turned his head in her direction at that moment.

Oh wow!

The picture Seokmin showed her didn’t do justice for when facing him this up close. He was not what she really expected. First thing she noticed was that he dressed really smart which was a point in his case. That night he wore a navy sweater over a white button down shirt peeking around the collar. He then layered them over with a grey blazer and slacks. He had grown taller as well and handsome too.

“Jaehyun” she said breathlessly after momentarily stunned.

She saw the recognition dawned on his face judging by his shocked expression.

“Chaeyeon?”

She nodded. “Thank you for coming tonight. I actually thought you weren’t going to come just now.”

He pursed his lips and looked a little apologetic “I did thought of it downstairs but I already promised Seokmin and you so here I am. And before I forget, here.” He handed her a rose, blushing a little bit.

She blinked, surprised about the rose and her mind instantly replayed back the words as told by Seokmin.

“He had a crush on you back then. During our graduation, he did intend to give you the rose and confessed but in the end he didn’t because he saw you with someone that day. He probably thought you two were a couple.”

Chaeyeon took the rose and smiled at him in appreciation. “Thank you..” She gestured at him and he followed to their table.

When they had seated, he blurted out “I never expect it would be you actually.”

“Oh?” She arched a brow at him.

“Yeah. When I asked Seokmin who it was, he wouldn’t tell me. Just that he said she’s Yuna’s friend since high school and that I would definitely remember her when I see her in person.”

“Did you even think for one second it was me?”

He shook his head. “Honestly no. I don’t think I have ever seen you with Yuna before that.”

She nodded in understanding. Both girls weren’t that close for the first two years until both were involved in the same club.

They talked a lot more after that, catching up on each other’s’ lives as if they were friends for a long time. He told her what he had been doing over the years while also entertained her with stories of Seokmin’s relationship with Yuna and how the former usually complained and asked of his opinion whenever the couple had their fights every now and then.

Chaeyeon too told him on what’s been going on in her life. He was a little surprised to learn about her occupation but happy for her that she had achieved her dream.

The entire time they were engage in each other, it didn’t escape her notice that several of her colleagues and friends kept throwing glances their way that she had to shift several times in her seats feeling uncomfortable by sudden attention on her.

Apparently Jaehyun noticed it as well as his eyes briefly flickered to the side before returning to hers. “How about you introduced me to your friends?”

She raised a brow at him but nodded anyway. It was pretty much a silent way for him to tell her to better get to the introduction part over with so they can talk some more later.