Halcyon Days

The Bound

The week of rest from training goes by quickly and it's all too soon that Minseok and Jongin find themselves back in the training center.

"You slacker" is the first greeting Jongin gets from Sehun.

Jongdae elbows Sehun, whispering something about being polite even if Jongin is the same age.

And perhaps, normally, Jongin would have frowned at the accusation because it wasn't like Jongin had wanted to suddenly teleport to the hospital again.  But this time, Jongin just smiles leisurely, watching as Sehun blows a small gust toward Jongdae who stumbles backward.  In a huff, Jongdae, after greeting Minseok hyung, walks toward Baekhyun to complain.

Chanyeol is jumping up and down in front of Minseok, complaining about how it wasn't his fault that his paper bracelet accidentally caught on fire.  Minseok is laughing at the way Chanyeol is pouting.  And normally, Jongin would have felt a possessive little growl forming inside of him at the sheer closeness of Chanyeol to Minseok.  But today, Jongin's feeling pretty lenient when it comes to familiarity with his Minseok hyung.

He almost doesn't hear Sehun nagging and asking about what Jongin did on his week off.  Normally, Jongin would make up some story to satisfy Sehun's curiosity, but in the next second, Jongin's teleporting to where Baekhyun and Jongdae are standing.  Both of them jolt as Jongin appears in front of them.  But soon, both Jongdae and Baekhyun are laughing at the miffed expression on Sehun's face at being abandoned.  They giggle as Sehun stomps over to Minseok to complain, but the trainer is already calling them to attention.

"Numbers 99 and 88, no more vacation time.  Give me ten laps around the center.  Now.  Number 61, you too."

Jongin and Minseok giggle with each other as Chanyeol wails, "Not fair!"  And Jongin feels so happy at the normalcy of it all that he feels like he could soar.

Baekhyun and Jongdae each go into individual training with other trainers, splitting off into specialized rooms for power control.  Behind them, Chanyeol is complaining as he jogs half-heartedly.

"I'm not the one who had a week's worth of vacation" Chanyeol mutters.

Jongin tries to cheer Chanyeol up by teleporting back and forth until the trainer in charge reprimands him for it.  Instead, Minseok makes little ice cubes for Chanyeol to keep cool as he runs.  This, of all things, makes Jongin a little jealous.  After all, Minseok's never made cute little ice cubes for him before.  But still, Jongin doesn't mind too much; for he knows, at the end of the day, Minseok is his Partner.

 

 

+++

 

 

It's on a Friday when the trainer in charge proposes another group training game.

"Last time, you guys made a mess of the game.  And I know one set of Partners who didn't even try until the end."

The last comment makes Minseok wince, but he remains quiet as Minseok watches Jongin silently lower his eyes to the ground.

"This time, the game will be similar, but I'll put in some chances for you guys" the trainer continues.  "The game is this: each of you will wear a name tag on your backs.  The goal is to protect your Partner."

"What the heck, Mr. Lee, this is just like Running Man" complains Chanyeol.

"Are we stealing copyrighted work now, Sir?" Sehun teases.

The trainer clears his throat and continues.

"Each of you will pick a card from this stack and in it, you'll find the handicap.  Come on now.  Form a line."

By coincidence, the trainer stands in front of Minseok, so Minseok becomes the front of the line.  There's shoving behind him as Baekhyun and Jongdae fight for second in line, but eventually Baekhyun wins second.  Jongdae begrudgingly accepts third in line and Sehun slips in at fourth.  Chanyeol gets fifth and Jongin ends up being last.

Minseok takes his card.  When they are all done picking cards, Jongin comes up to Minseok to show him his.

"Hyung, I got the 'Reflect' card!  Now, if someone takes off my name tag, the other person gets eliminated."

There's a happy grin on Jongin's face.

"I have this one, so I can be free to protect you.  Okay, hyung?"

Minseok chuckles.  He had been afraid that he wouldn't be able to see Jongin this excited for a training game again, given the trauma of last time.  Looking around, Minseok sees each of the other Bound Partners whispering over their own chance cards.  Jongin's already entwining his fingers with Minseok's.  He's jiggling his legs, waiting for the trainer to begin the game.

"Let's just make this a quick game" calls out Baekhyun suddenly.

"Yah, what are you planning Byun Baekhyun?" asks Jongdae, suspicious.

"I just mean, let's not make the playing ground too large."

"That means no leaving the training center" explains Chanyeol.

"How is that fair?!" yells Sehun.

But the trainer in charge is already nodding in agreement.

"That's a good idea, Number 04.  Let's keep this short and sweet" Mr. Lee says.

"Why don't you make it sweeter, Mr. Lee?" adds Baekhyun.  "Winner gets to take Monday off?"

Mr. Lee, the trainer, scowls.  But eventually, he nods.  

"Alright.  Last one standing gets to take Monday off.  Got it?  Now, ready... set.  Let the game begin."

 

 

At the word 'begin', the trainees scatter and separate.  Jongin's the only one who stays close to Minseok, his Partner.  While the others seem to have 'divide and conquer' as their strategy, Jongin lingers at Minseok's side like a bodyguard.  Minseok wants to tell Jongin it's okay, that Jongin should remember that Minseok too has a chance card, after all.  But at the same time, Jongin's devotion to winning is cute and now that the game's started, there's no where private to tell Jongin about his chance card.

Chanyeol is the one to attack first.  He swipes at Jongdae's back, but Jongdae is too quick.  Jongdae screams incoherently at Chanyeol, but Chanyeol's already running in the opposite direction, going after Sehun this time.  Sehun, after Chanyeol had moved first, had gone for Baekhyun.  And while Baekhyun's on the defense, throwing light rays into Sehun's eyes to blind him, Sehun's got the height and the strength on Baekhyun.  Baekhyun runs as Chaneyol grabs Sehun.  But Sehun twirls just in time for the name tag to slip in Chanyeol's hands.

Chanyeol swears in frustration as he catches his breath.  This time Sehun's making his way toward Minseok, emitting gusts of wind to prevent Minseok from running away.  But two can play at that game, so Minseok creates a mini snow patch and Sehun's left foot sinks into it.  Implementing Chanyeol's dip in energy, Jongin teleports instantly to where Chanyeol is, except Jongin lands behind Chanyeol.  Carefully, before Chanyeol notices, Jongin plucks at Chanyeol's name tag.  There's a satisfying rip of the velcro and the trainer blows his whistle.

"Time out!"

Chanyeol's rolling on the floor in frustration and defeat, but he grins as Jongin's face falls.  There, behind Chanyeol's name tag is Chanyeol's chance card.

[OPPONENT: SIZE X2] it says.

The game starts again with the blow of the trainer's whistle, except now, Chanyeol is eliminated from the game and Jongin's name tag is now twice it's size - an easier target.  From the sidelines, Chanyeol cheers Baekhyun on and soon, Baekhyun emerges victorious with Jongdae's name tag in hand.

"Sehun-ah!  You're supposed to watch my back!" Jongdae whines.

"I was trying to get Jongin's!" Sehun retorts.

But Jongdae's now eliminated and he reveals his chance card.

[OPPONENT: + WEIGHTS] it says.

And perhaps if it was Jongin that had pulled Jongdae's name tag, it wouldn't have been such a big deal.  But Baekhyun continues the game with two heavy ankle weights, slowing him down considerably.

"It's okay!  Keep winning!" Chanyeol calls out.

"You better win, Sehun-ah!  You're our last hope!" Jongdae screams.

This time, when the game starts back up, both Baekhyun and Sehun aim for Jongin and Minseok, as they're the only ones who are still have both Partners still in the game.  Sehun switches targets and goes for Jongin, who keeps teleporting.  Baekhyun makes a grab at Minseok before Minseok can get the ice down to help Baekhyun slip.  Minseok and Baekhyun are hand in hand, almost grappling with each other.  At this close range, Baekhyun doesn't even try to use his powers.  All Minseok can do is make Baekhyun feel cold.  Baekhyun's shivering but still strong.  Minseok is contemplating overpowering him when Baekhyun makes his move.  Though weaker than Minseok, Baekhyun is quick as light and soon, Minseok's name tag is in Baekhyun's fist.

From the sidelines, Chanyeol cheers.  Minseok watches Jongin's face fall, but Minseok himself is calm.

The trainer blows his whistle, but then Baekhyun checks Minseok's chance card.

"Aw, hyung!" Baekhyun shouts, frustrated.

"What is it?!" asks Chanyeol and Jongdae.

And Minseok chuckles at the way Jongin's eyes widen, realizing that Jongin himself didn't check what Minseok's chance card had been.

[OWNER: REINCARNATION X1] it says.

"Minseok is still in the game" the trainer calls out, grabbing Minseok's name tag from Baekhyun.

 

When the game restarts, it's with renewed vigor that Baekhyun targets Minseok.

"This time, I'm gonna get you for sure, hyung!"

But the little ice slides that Minseok puts in Baekhyun's way has Baekhyun slipping and sliding all over the place. Minseok too, gets blinded Baekhyun's lights and fails to swipe Baekhyun's tag.

Meanwhile, Jongin uses the instance of Sehun being distracted by one of Minseok's ice patches to teleport behind Sehun and pull off his name tag.  The trainer blows his whistle and Jongin whoops in victory.  Jongdae's whining about how Sehun didn't try hard enough as Jongin reads Sehun's chance card.

[OPPONENT: + BELLS]

 

The jingling is pretty loud and even though Jongin can teleport, the sound takes away Jongin's element of surprise and stealth.  Still, it's two against one now and Baekhyun's on his feet all the time, trying to avoid both Jongin and Minseok.  Somehow, Baekhyun gets a better handle on his powers and keeps melting the little ice patches until finally, he's able to get close enough to Minseok.  They're wrestling with each other with Baekhyun's back to the wall so that Jongin can't get at it.  Baekhyun makes the lunge and Baekhyun's arm is behind Minseok's back, fingers enclosed around the tips of Minseok's name tag.  Minseok struggles, even going so far as to ice Baekhyun's shirt so it's too stiff to maneuver in.  Baekhyun is close, all he has to do is pull.  But right that second, there's a jingle and Baekhyun jerks back, only to find that his name tag is in the grasp of Jongin's hand.

Jongin's grin is victorious and he turns Baekhyun's name tag to check.  Instantly, Jongin's face falls.

[OWNER: PARTNER REINCARNATION X1]

"Baekhyun is out, Chanyeol goes in" the trainer says.

 

When Chanyeol comes back in, he goes straight for Minseok.  After all, Minseok's already used his chance card on reincarnating once and Chanyeol's got a second chance.  Jongin does his best to keep Chanyeol going after himself, but Chanyeol isn't easily distracted.

"Ouch!" Jongin cries as he tries to touch Chanyeol's name tag.

Chanyeol makes his tag too hot to touch.  His long arms encircle Minseok, trying to get at the tag behind Minseok's back.  But Minseok twirls in the opposite direction, chilling Chanyeol's body so Jongin can get at Chanyeol's name tag.  All three of them have sweat through their shirts now.  And Minseok's wishing this game were over, but the determination in Jongin's eyes is still fired up, so Minseok too tries his best.  However, all of them want Monday off from training.  Possibly, Chanyeol's desire for a day off is greater since Minseok and Jongin have had a week off already, albeit due to injuries.

Minseok turns his back to run away, but he miscalculates and slips on one of his own melted ice patches, which is now a puddle.  And Chanyeol's practically at Minseok's back when there's a jingle and Jongin teleports in front of Minseok, blocking Chanyeol.  And though he's been blocked, Chanyeol doesn't lose the opportunity.  Instead of Minseok's, Chanyeol rips Jongin's name tag off.

From the sidelines, Baekhyun lets out a cheer.  But Minseok turns to Jongin, grinning and hugging.  They jump up and down, much to Chanyeol's confusion.  But soon, Chanyeol takes a look at Jongin's chance card.

[OPPONENT: REFLECT X1]

"Chanyeol's out" the trainer says.  "The winner is Jongin and Minseok, last Partners standing.  Good job.  Now you get another day off."

At the trainer's words, Minseok feels a little sheepish.  Perhaps they should have let the victory go to one of the other Bound Partners?  But the sheer joy on Jongin's face makes Minseok change his mind.  It had been worth it to try his best, Minseok thinks.  Jongin's soon hugging and lifting Minseok into the air, laughing.  Minseok doesn't really care that they're covered in sweat as the other trainees crowd around them.  Jongdae and Chanyeol pout for a bit, but soon, they're laughing right along with Jongin.

"You better buy us dinner!" Baekhyun shouts.

"Meat!  Buy us meat, hyung!" cries Chanyeol.

"And dessert!" adds Sehun.

Even the trainer in charge laughs, shaking his head.

"Alright, go wash up, all of you.  We're done for today, so you can eat whatever the hell you want for dinner."

 

 

+++

 

 

All in all, it's an exhilarating day in Jongin's opinion.  His heart is full from today's victory and his stomach is full from the meal of beef and noodles that Minseok had bought them.  He climbs into bed first, having washed up first.  There's a smile on his lips that he just can't control.

He waits patiently, listening to the steady stream of water from Minseok's shower.  Soon, Jongin's eyelids grow heavy.  Minseok's not out of the bathroom yet, but the water has stopped running and Jongin can hear Minseok brushing his teeth.  Just as Minseok is opening the bathroom door, Jongin's eyes start to close.  There's a slight warmth from the steam of Minseok's shower as Minseok turns off the lights.  There's a dip in the bed as Minseok sits on the mattress, but Jongin's half asleep now.  

It's right when Jongin's almost completely asleep that he hears Minseok's cellphone buzzing.  Jongin hears Minseok pick up.

"Hello?"

And Jongin doesn't hear the voice on the other end of the line, but he feels Minseok's body stiffen.  Still, the sleepiness from today's excitement and from the warm meal make Jongin's eyelids too heavy to open again.  All he registers is a murmured answer from Minseok.  What Jongin doesn't hear is Minseok getting back up, getting changed out of his pajamas, and leaving the apartment.

 

The next morning when Jongin wakes up, he wakes up to a cold half of the bed.  He walks out to the living room, confused.  And on the coffee table is a note, written hastily on the back of an old Chinese restaurant takeout ad.

 

[Went to visit Junmyeon.
Urgent.
Sorry.  Will be back soon.]

 

Jongin's heart freezes inside of his chest and drops so painfully that Jongin sinks to the floor.  Crouched down there, he cradles his head in his hands.

'It's okay' he tells himself.  'It'll be over soon.'

But the edges of him are already fuzzy and wavering.  In the next second, he's gone.