A Split Road

The Bound

The sun shines through the drawn curtains, but Jongin doesn't move a muscle.  His thumbnail chewed to the quick, but it's as if Jongin's mind isn't on the pain.  There's a gray cast to his eyes as he sits on the edge of the bed and looks at the clock.  Minseok  hyung hasn't been back since yesterday afternoon.

The answering machine has been beeping since early this morning.  There are messages from their trainer and messages from Sehun, as well as the other trainees.

[You have failed to report for training.  Please report before I'm forced to issue demerits.]

[Hey, this is Sehun.  Why haven't you come to training?  Are you sleeping in?]

[Jongin-ah, this is Jongdae hyung.  Are you sick again?  The trainer hyung is really mad...]

[Yah, call us, Kim Jongin.  Minseok hyung isn't picking up either.  We're all worried...]

And maybe it's the anger welling up inside of Jongin's chest.  Or maybe it's the feeling of being abandoned and being put second.  Whatever it is, it makes tears fall from Jongin's eyes when he doesn't want to cry.  Crying over this seems so pathetic and so small of him.  He thinks, what does Kim Junmyeon have that I don't?  And as his thoughts go more and more toward Kim Junmyeon, Jongin vanishes from the bedroom.

 

 

+++

 

 

The sun has already come up and is on its way down when Minseok steps out of the subway.  He's spent the night by Junmyeon's bedside, holding him and kissing him.  It's only by the late afternoon that Junmyeon stabilizes.  Yixing looks anxious and shoots Minseok worried looks, but things work out.  And by the time Minseok turns to go home, he's exhausted.

And even though Minseok's spent so much energy on helping Junmyeon, Yoonju remains hostile towards him.  Minseok rubs his face as he remembers Yoonju's accusing eyes.  Minseok loves Junmyeon, he really does.  Junmyeon is his best friend; he's Minseok's Partner.  But the situation only makes Minseok weary and worn out.  All he wants to do is go home, spend the rest of the day in bed and maybe cuddle a little with Jongin to recharge.  Minseok just hopes Jongin isn't too miffed about losing the game, remembering how excited Jongin had been at the start of the training session.

 

Minseok's nearing his apartment building when his phone buzzes.  His skin crawls because he's hoping it's not Yoonju, calling about Junmyeon's failing health again.  But when he looks and when the caller ID says [Son Yoonju], Minseok almost drops his phone.  Turning on his heel, he's running back to the main street to catch a taxi so he can make his way back to the hospital.  On the way, he calls Yoonju.

'Please, please please please' Minseok thinks.

But when the line connects, it's not Yoonju on the other end.

"Minseok?" comes Yixing's worn out voice.

"Y- Yixing?  Where's Yoonju?  What's going on?"

There's an overworked sigh over the other end and Minseok's knuckles turn pale from gripping the phone too hard.

"You better come quick.  It's not Junmyeon.  He's fine but... it's Jongin.  He's here at the hospital."

 

+++

 

When Minseok reaches the hospital lobby, the first thing he sees is Yoonju, sobbing into her hands.  Kyungsoo is by her side, talking to her in a low voice.

"What happened?" Minseok asks.

But at the sound of Minseok's voice, Yoonju bolts up.  Hitting Minseok with her fists, Yoonju cries even harder.

"How could you?!  How could you?!  That boy, he-  How could you bring him here?!  How could you?!"

Minseok stumbles back in confusion.

"Yoonju-ssi?"

Kyungsoo, trying to stop Yoonju from hitting Minseok, pulls her back into the chair.

"Yoonju-ssi, you know it's not Minseok's fault.  You know..."

"It is.  It's Minseok's fault.  Everything... it's his fault."

Kyungsoo hands Yoonju off to the nursing staff, who take her into another room.  Yoonju is dehydrated and her nerves are frazzled, so the nurses promise to help her calm down.  Meanwhile, Kyungsoo takes Minseok to another floor as he explains.

"Jongin... he came to the hospital."

"...?"

"He knew where Junmyeon was and he went into the room when Yoonju wasn't there."

"..."

"It seems Yoonju came in to find Jongin standing over Junmyeon."

"...!"

"He didn't do anything" Kyungsoo says quickly when Minseok looks alarmed.  "Jongin was just ... staring.  But it didn't look good and Yoonju-ssi got hysterical."

"But where's Jongin now?"

"He's ... not doing too well either" Kyungsoo says with a deep frown.  "It seems meeting Junmyeon and then being attacked by Yoonju made him faint.  He's in the observation unit.  There's nothing wrong with him, but... I think he needs you."

 

 

+++

 

 

 

The best Minseok can do to keep his wits together is to bury his nails into the palm of his hand.  It hurts, but the pain is what makes him stay alert.  He can't help but have flashbacks to when Junmyeon had first went into his coma.  And as Minseok watches Jongin lying in a bed, unconscious, Minseok tries his best to keep his breathing steady.  He has to be strong.  He has to be strong for Jongin and for Junmyeon.

Immediately, Minseok takes Jongin's hand in his own.  When he does, Jongin inhales deeply in his sleep, almost as if he can breathe better now that he's in contact with Minseok.  Minseok presses a kiss to Jongin's cheek and Jongin's eyes flutter open.

"Hyung?" comes Jongin's weak voice.

Minseok can't seem to talk through the lump in his throat, but he squeezes Jongin's hand in reply.  His fingers card through Jongin's hair and he touches their foreheads together.

"I'm sorry" Jongin whispers.  "I didn't mean to."

But Minseok shakes his head, fighting back tears.

"It's not your fault.  I'm sorry.  I'm so sorry."

 

 

When Jongin has stabilized, Kyungsoo asks Minseok to speak in private.  They go out into the hallway as Jongin falls asleep.  The expression on Kyungsoo's face is grim, making Minseok nervous.  Unconsciously, Minseok picks at his nails, arms crossed, as he faces Kyungsoo.

"What is it?  Jongin's stabilized, right?" asks Minseok anxiously.

Kyungsoo nods and hesitates just slightly before sighing and opening his mouth.

"The thing is, hyung...  Jongin's been doing well with you.  He's much better than he was when he was without a Partner."

"That's good, right?  Why are you so down?"

"According to his charts, his condition was getting better and better.  His numbers were climbing and that was great.  But now..."

"Now?" asks Minseok.

"They're dropping again" Kyungsoo admits.  "And to be honest, I think it's because Jongin's not quite ... confident in your guys' Bond yet."

Minseok gulps nervously.  

"What should I do then?  We- we've been doing good in training though.  I don't-"

"It's not just about training, hyung" Kyungsoo says.  "There should be a strong emotional bond between Partners.  I know you guys haven't been Partners long and I know you guys have been holding hands and kissing, but have you guys been more... intimate?"

Minseok blushes uncharacteristically.  It isn't quite polite to ask about the level of contact between Partners, but Minseok understands that it's Kyungsoo being worried for the both of them.

"No, just- well, just that.  Simple touching.  I didn't want to push Jongin into anything.  After all, it's what I'm used to with Junmyeon, so I thought..."

Kyungsoo sighs once more.

"With Junmyeon hyung, you were both matched normally.  Both of you were in top condition when matched and it was the appropriate time for the Bond.  So, even with   But Jongin... he's a special case.  He was in a very bad way when he Partnered with you, hyung.  He's more unstable in this connection, so you have to have to give that much more to the relationship."

"I don't-  I didn't-"

"I know you didn't sign up for this kind of devotion" interrupts Kyungsoo.  "And I know it's not as easy as it sounds.  But Jongin needs you the most.  He needs reassurance.  He needs to know it down to his bones that you're his Partner."

"..."

"Can you do that for him, hyung?"

"..."

"I can't force you to and I wouldn't even if I could.  But, please, think about Jongin.  I know you'll do what's best for your Partner, Minseok hyung."

 

 

 

+++

 

 

 

With Jongin's insistence, Minseok goes back to the apartment.  Kyungsoo's last words ring in his ears.

'I know you'll do what's best for your Partner.'

But just who did he have to put first?  It wasn't that he didn't want to be more intimate with Jongin.  But thinking of going further in their relationship meant feeling more guilt towards Junmyeon.  Minseok pulls out a can of beer from the fridge and sits down in front of the television.  He turns on a random channel for background noise as he sips his drink.

Going into this plan, Minseok had known it would be difficult and he's not about to back out now.  He was responsible for two lives now, aside from his own.  And no matter what the future brought, he had to take care of Jongin's well-being.  They've only started training and Jongin hasn't even had a chance to exercise his powers fully.  Minseok wonders what Jongin would be like with full control of his powers.

"Probably very cool" Minseok thinks aloud.

There's a small smile playing on his lips because, even with the current situation, Minseok knows that Jongin will be great someday.

The chatter of the television dies down as the program ends.  He hadn't been paying attention, but the credits start rolling and Minseok realizes there's only a sip left of his beer.  Minseok makes up his mind as he finishes his beer.  He's not used to physical intimacy, but he'll try if it means helping Jongin.  Stretching out a blanket over himself, Minseok falls asleep on the couch.  Somehow, it isn't the same to fall asleep on the bed without Jongin sleeping next to him anymore.