New Beginnings

The Bound

It isn't a big, eleborate ceremony. The only ones in attendance are Kyungsoo, Yixing, and Jungwon with Kyungsoo and Jungwon acting as the Intermediaries - the ones who help them exchange energies. There are many things Minseok wants to ask, like: "where are your family and friends?"  There are many things Minseok wants to say, like: "you look handsome in your white Bonding tunic". But the only words exchanged are the ones set out for them by Bound law. There's a monotony in the droning sound of his own voice as he reads down the script for the ceremony and the raw burning in his blood vessels is the only reality of the Bonding being complete.

After the ceremony is complete, Kyungsoo and Yixing leave with Jungwon, telling the newly Bound to spend some time together. It should be normal, being alone and touching each other as Partners, but it isn't; and Minseok winces as he realizes that they're not exactly 'normal'. All at once, Minseok feels half apologetic and half pitying toward Jongin.  These feelings bind Minseok's hands and feet and he can't bring himself to make the first move. They sit, face to face in their stark white ceremonial tunics, and something should happen now, Minseok thinks, but Minseok can only bring himself to look down at his own hands. His thoughts are complicated as he thinks of Junmyeon lying in Room 522. He thinks of the conversation he had had with Yixing just a few days ago.

 

 

 

"I know there hasn't been a precedent of Bonding to two different people, but-" Minseok had started saying, but Yixing had shook his head.

"There is."

"What?"  The thoughts of trying to convince Yixing of his resolve had vanished with the shock.

"When I was in Beijing, I...I saw someone being Bound to two different people. It can be done" Yixing had admitted. "But Minseok-ah, the one Bound to two goes through hell. I've seen it. It's much too tough for one person to take on two people and... even though Junmyeon is... like that... it'll rip you apart. You might... you might even die."

But Minseok had been firm. A strange kind of confidence had overtaken him.

"I know I can do it, Yixing. Junmyeon doesn't take that much energy from me right now and no matter how much energy I pour into to him, he won't wake up. I want to use my abilities to help the kid. Even..." and Minseok had hesitated here, because no matter the circumstance, it was difficult imagining breaking a Bond.

"Even?" Yixing had asked.

"Even if Jongin decides he wants a better Partner later" Minseok had finished. "I'll be okay. I just... I just want to help the kid right now, Yixing. And something tells me that I can."

Yixing had eventually given in, making sure to warm Minseok again and again of the dangers of Bonding with two people at the same time.

"Thanks for looking out for me" Minseok had said before leaving Yixing's office. "And... please don't tell Jongin about this."

 

 

 

What brings Minseok out of his thoughts is the movement of Jongin's hand. Jongin's finger twitches, moving a centimeter towards Minseok. Minseok looks up at Jongin's face, searchingly.  Was it okay to take this boy's hand? The kid's brows are knitted in concentration or frustration, Minseok can't tell which. Jongin's still not really looking at Minseok, but he opens his mouth.

"Can I.... Can I touch you?" Jongin asks carefully.

The question breaks Minseok's heart and at once, Minseok thinks, 'Oh I've made another mistake.' Out loud, Minseok says, "Of course" and gently reaches out with both hands.

Both of Minseok's hand careful enclose Jongin's. Jongin's hand is hot to the touch and Minseok's eyes search Jongin's until Jongin finally looks at Minseok straight on. When Minseok offers a small smile, Jongin's eyebrows slowly unknit. Jongin blinks in slow motion, still staring into Minseok's eyes, almost as if he's trying to say something. And just when Minseok has let down his guard a little, Jongin breaks out into the most heartbreaking smile.

Minseok watches, entranced, as Jongin's hand grips Minseok's too. There's an ache that resounds in Minseok's chest because Jongin's smile is so precious and so beautiful. Minseok isn't really sure if he deserves such a smile and there's the pang of knowing that perhaps one day Jongin will choose someone else to take Minseok's place. Pushing down the pain in his chest, Minseok leans forward because, no matter what the future brings, this is their moment. Jongin's eyes widen a little in surprise, but his cheeks redden with anticipation. Jongin, though younger, is already taller than Minseok, so Minseok has to rise a bit on his knees. Smiling, Minseok hovers against Jongin's lips with his own.

"Can I?" Minseok requests in a whisper.

But Jongin's already closing his eyes and leaning in to close the distance.

The kiss is innocent and sweet. Warm lips press against warm lips and when they part, Minseok can hear Jongin sigh shakily. They barely draw away when Jongin's arms pull Minseok forward again and Minseok finds himself pressed against Jongin's chest, chin tucked into Jongin's collarbone.

"Thank you" Jongin whispers unsteadily. "Thank you."

 

###

 

The decision is simple. They find out that Minseok has more stuff, so Jongin moves into Minseok's apartment. While Jongin seems excited about moving out of the training center dorms, Minseok is nervous. It's been a while since he's lived with anyone besides Junmyeon.

With Junmyeon, Minseok rarely fought. But when they did fight, it was usually about their living arrangements. Minseok was tidy and Junmyeon wasn't. As Minseok watches Jongin's boxes pile in front of the door, he gets a little anxious about repeating the squabbles he'd had with Junmyeon. He tells himself that he should be more lenient. It was more important to stay in tune, not to pick at each other's differences, after all. But as Jongin comes in and organizes his belongings, Minseok realizes that perhaps he had nothing to worry about. Sure Jongin doesn't own three vacuums like Minseok does, but he seems perfectly well organized and doesn't procrastinate on doing away with the moving boxes.

As Jongin doesn't have that many possessions to begin with, the organizing doesn't take that long. It's late afternoon by the time everything's finished and they end up sitting on Minseok's worn fabric couch, watching old reruns of a variety game show. The silence between them however, is stifling. After their first kiss on their ceremony day, there hadn't been much skinship at all. Minseok wonders if it's because of his inability to entertain with words. Fidgeting with his phone, he finally thinks of something to say.

"Do you want-" Minseok starts to say, just as Jongin asks, "Can I-"

They start talking at the same time and when they realize it, they stop talking again. Minseok sighs, then laughs, rubbing the back of his neck. He's the hyung. He should know better, right?

"What did you want to ask?" Minseok gestures for Jongin to talk first.

But Jongin shakes his head.

"I was just going ask if you wanted to order something to eat" Minseok finally says. "Let's order some black bean noodles. After all, it's your moving day."

Jongin smiles back, nodding.

"Okay."

Quickly, Minseok taps the app on his phone and orders for the both of them. When he's done, there's more awkward silence, so Minseok speaks up again.

"Sorry, I'm... not really good with words. I want to make you more comfortable, but that really isn't my strong suite" Minseok laughs, scratching his head. "Oh yeah! Wasn't there something you wanted to say before?"

Jongin shakes his head.

"You're... it's fine. I just wanted to ask... Can I... Can I call you hyung?"

For the first time in a long time, Minseok has to stifle a squeal from how cute Jongin is being. Instead, Minseok chuckles under his breath.

"Of course, Jongin-ah. Of course."

 

###

 

Living as a jobless Bound, Minseok's not used to being woken up at an ungodly hour in the morning. Fumbling for his phone, Minseok slams his finger on the call button and answers, briefly catching that the current time is 5:03 AM.

"What" Minseok asks scathingly.

Jungwon's cheerful voice answers, "Minseok-ssi, you know that you and your Partner have training starting today, right? Please report to the training center by 5:30AM or you'll be receiving demerits!"

The phone line goes dead before Minseok can even process what has just been said. After watching his phone screen turn dark, Minseok curses under his breath. They were definitely going to be late.

"Jongin, wake up" Minseok says as he jostles Jongin's arm.

Living with Jongin for a month now, Minseok had found that Jongin slept like a log. In Minseok's tiny apartment, there was no choice but to sleep in one bed. Though it had been awkward and embarrassing at first, they had acclimated pretty quickly.

"Ngh" Jongin replies.

Giving up, Minseok stumbles toward the shower.

"I'm showering first" Minseok calls out, knowing full well that Jongin is still asleep.

 

 

It takes them an hour to reach the training center, which means that they're half an hour late.  The trainer in charge doesn’t really scold them as Minseok is an alum, technically speaking.  But the other trainees side-eye and jab at Jongin, whispering amongst themselves.

"Don't be cocky just because you've got an older Partner" says one trainee.

"You look too relaxed.  Show off" another whispers jokingly.

Minseok watches the pink spread across Jongin's cheeks and lets out a deep breath.  It’s almost like going back to middle school and it makes Minseok both nervous and excited at the same time.

"Warm up with twenty laps!" the trainer calls out.  And Minseok knows it’s going to be a long first day of training as a newly Partnered Bound.