A Blooming Friendship

Beyond the Glory and Fate

“So... Byulyi-ssi, there’s something i need to tell you.”

 

Moonbyul looks up from the scale, she has been struggling to measure the exact weight of Armadillo’s Bile. Yongsun said unless she wants to have the boiler explode, she need to get it right.

 

“Yes? What is it, Yongsun-ssi?”

 

For a second Yongsun considered to just dismiss the idea since it could possibly made the situation awkward, but this is the right time to let it out from her chest.

 

“I haven’t said thank you yet, for yesterday.”

 

The girl in front of her looked confused for a second before getting what she talked about.

 

“No, no, i should be the one apologizing. I’m sorry those goons from my school harassed you like that.”

 

Moonbyul looking apologetic to Yongsun, even though it’s not her fault at all. The taller girl shifted her attention to other Durmstrang students sits in the back of the class, where they chattering away instead of brewing their potion. Yongsun can recognize those as the same people as yesterday.

 

“Those boys think since they’re chosen to be the representative for Triwizard they can do whatever they want, especially to Hogwarts students.”

 

The Durmstrang girl proceeds to throws the Armadillo’s Bile into the boiling pot and stirs it slowly. Yongsun assisted in reading the instruction slowly so Moonbyul won’t over-stir it. The last sentence piqued her interest over brewing the potion.

 

“Why? Is there any special reason they would pick on students from Hogwarts?”

 

Moonbyul contemplating for a few seconds, her finger fiddles with the wooden ladle before looking back at Yongsun.

 

“What i told you next may sounds unpleasant, but i hope you won’t judge all the people in Durmstrang badly after this.”

 

Moonbyul herself didn’t know if she should trust or blabbering to her seat mate like this, considering they literally just started talking like 30 minutes ago. Her conscience told her that at least she owe Yongsun an explanation to what she would expect in the next few months. Yongsun herself and only raise her eyebrow at this statement.

 

“I won’t promise anything, but i won’t judge so quickly before hearing your explanation.”

 

Moonbyul sighed and nodded, after all, she can’t force the other to change their judgments or opinion, she can only hope this won’t ruin an opportunity to make friends with Yongsun.

 

“So... where do i begin...” The taller girl muttered. “This is a ed up ideology rooted since a long time ago back when our school is established. To be a Durmstrang student, you must be a pure-blood wizard. No half blood and of course no muggle-born permitted.”

 

Yongsun expression darkened.

 

“So yeah, with the root like that, surely some of the students has this ideology that non pure-blood wizard is dirty, impure and beneath them.”

 

Yongsun shudders at the thought of a whole school filled with only Slytherin’s students, she for sure don’t want anything to do with them.

 

“Hogwarts is a school with a lot of diversity, muggle-born is welcomed here, and now you know why they think Hogwarts student is less than them. Even if the Hogwarts students is a pure-blood, they see them less because they already mingled and accepting muggle-born.”

 

Moonbyul sighed.

 

“ You can observe later and see how they will only mingle with Slytherin’s. Their ideologies are basically the same.”

 

Yongsun nod in silence. Honestly, it was a lot to take. Fortunately, supremacist idea like that has been decreased a lot in Hogwarts, she only receives death threats once or twice every few months so it’s all good. She looked back at Moonbyul who is avoiding eye-contact and kept stirring the pot. It must not been easy to tell the dark secret of your school like this, especially to stranger like her.

 

“I see... thank you for telling me this. Then, do you think the same as them, Byulyi-ssi?”

 

Moonbyul chuckled a bit and see Yongsun straight in the eye, looking at her funny.

 

“If i were, i wouldn’t be telling you all of this, Yongsun-ssi. I won’t even sit beside you.”

 

Yongsun smiled lightly and add a pinch of grounded Scarab Beetles into the pot.

 

“Not that you have any other choices, Miss Pure-Blood Wizard.”

 

Both of them grinning a bit, basking in this peaceful newfound friendship. Yongsun knew that this girl beside her is a good and polite person.

 

“But won’t it look bad for your reputation if you are seen associating yourself with a mere mud-blood like me?”

 

Moonbyul looked a bit surprised at this revelation, not every wizard would easily admitted themselves as a muggle-born since prejudice still can be seen sometimes. But maybe because this is Hogwarts, things like this became more a light subjects.

 

“That’s why i said not to judge all of Durmstrang students, silly.” She grinned lightly. “Some of us do not share the same value as the school’s, only students like Krueger’s goons are problematic. So yeah, to hell with their prejudice.”

 

Can Yongsun marry the handsome girl whose nose wrinkled up cutely while she smiling even if they just met yesterday? It’s only 37 minutes and five seconds since they talk and she already wants to offer her heart.

 

“I’m glad you’re such a good person, Byulyi-ssi. I wish there are more person like you in this wizarding world.”

 

Sheepish smile and a hint of pink can be seen clearly from Moonbyul’s cheeks, which made Yongsun suddenly self conscious and embarrassed too. She clears lightly to steer away the awkwardness.

 

“We only need to allow the mixture to simmer about 10 minutes and add some ginger root until in turns orange.”

 

Yongsun read the instruction and plops down on her seat, which Moonbyul gladly follow.

 

“This is one of the rare times i didn’t screw up in potion class. Usually it turns into different kind of potion or ended up blowing right into my face.”

 

Moonbyul looked at the boiling pot in awe. Potion clearly isn’t her best subject but with Yongsun’s lead and instruction she find it kind of fun.

 

“Watching you stirring counter-clockwise and almost mixing Gurdy-root instead of Ginger-root almost made me my pants, no offense.”

 

Both of them chuckled lightly, it seems like their type of humor and jokes match each other well.

 

“No offense taken, ma’am. Sometimes i even wonder how the hell i passed my O.W.L test.” Moonbyul grinned. “Surely you have a weaker subject than Potion, yes? It’s not fair if you excel everything, that’s too perfect.”

 

“Said the one who became quidditch world player in the age of 18.”

 

Yongsun grinned when she saw the taller girl flustered and scratch her head meekly. ‘Seriously, why she looks shy like that whenever i compliment her? Cutie.’

 

“Ah... you’ve heard about that?”

 

“I’ve said that before, Miss Moon, my peers talks about you a lot— I’m totally not stalking you by the way, but you should know you’re kind of famous around here.”

 

Moonbyul didn’t know how to react about her reputation here. Ever since she joined junior Quidditch World cup she receives attention wherever she goes. Her Quidditch debut just started these last few months, she’s still flustered when people compliment her like this. Not gonna lie she likes the attention though, it feels nice to be recognized and having fans around you.

 

“Anyway, it’s time to add the ginger roots and we should be done.”

 

Yongsun took the remaining ingredients and mixed it together in the pot, stirring it for a while until it turns orange. Professor Slughorn going around the class to check his student’s work from time to time until he stopped to look at Yongsun’s and Moonbyul’s potion.

 

“Hmmm, i would expect nothing less from Miss Kim, the concoction is perfectly brewed.” The Professor hummed lightly, satisfied with the potion. “Good job Miss Kim, and you too Miss Moon. Ten points to Hufflepuff!”

 

Professor Slughorn announced to the class, while Yongsun has been collecting points for her house often, it’s still made her grin widely. She looks at Moonbyul who has the same expression as hers. Yongsun glad their first teamwork is successful and her pride is saved thanks to this class.

 

Not to long after that the Professor dismissed their class and they’re free to go to have lunch before continuing to afternoon lesson. Yongsun can’t help but felt disheartened that their time together is already reaching the end. Their afternoon class is different, so she can only hope they will meet in other subjects.

 

“Say, Yongsun-ssi. Do you want to have lunch together? I’m not familiar with this school yet and i don’t wanna miss my lunch because of the Grand Stairs again.”

 

Yongsun’s almost shouted on top of her lungs but thankfully she managed to do it internally. She was never so sure at saying ‘Yes’ until this moment.

 

“Of course, i’d love to.”

 

With that, they packs their book and quill before set to the Great Hall, where all the breakfast, lunch, and dinner is served. Along the way, Yongsun and Byulyi aware of the eyes pointed at them. It’s understandable because the famous Quidditch player walks along with the Head Girl from Hogwarts? That screams hot gossip to tell before bedtime.

 

“Byulyi unnie!!”

 

A soft feminine voice stopped both of the girls from taking another step. A girl who Yongsun recognized as the other Durmstrang girl stepped out from Charms class. Long beautiful dark hair with thick cute bangs and cat shaped eyes decorated her face nicely.

 

“Oh,  Sseul! Are you done with your class too?”

 

Yongsun noticed the fond smile bloomed in Byulyi’s face when speaking to the girl who’s now in front of them. Okay, who’s that? Junior? Friend? Crush? Lover???? Yongsun thinking of many possibilities but she’s still not forgets to use that polite smile on her face.

 

“Yea, i’m starving now unnie~” Sseul girl whined cutely towards Byulyi before noticing the girl beside her. “Oh, you’re already making friends? That’s fast!”

 

“Ah, Yongsun-ssi, she is my cousin, Seulgi. She’s on her fourth year.”

 

Seulgi grinned and bowed her head politely to Yongsun. The latter bowed back in response.

 

“You’re already know her from yesterday, but this is Miss Kim Yongsun, we have the same class this morning.”

 

“Nice to meet you, unnie.”

 

“The pleasure is all mine, Seulgi-ssi.” Yongsun smiled softly to the polite girl in front of her.

 

“Yongsun-ssi, do you mind if she joined us in lunch, i guess Sseul didn’t made friends yet.”

 

Moonbyul ruffles her cousin’s head lovingly, making the perfectly combed hair in disarray.

 

“Unnie!! I made friend already but she promised to eat with her schoolmates.”

 

Grumbling and straighten her hair back to its place, the youngest lip’s pouted cutely.

 

“Okay, okayy. Let’s go then, i’m really hungry.”

 

When they entered the Great Hall, the place is already bustling with students, divided between chattering and gobbling up their lunch. Yongsun saw that majority of fifth to seventh year students already mingled with students from other schools, she guessed the school’s effort to combine them into one class goes well.

 

She spotted Hyejin already munching her pizza in their usual table. She is the embodiment of live and die for food indeed. And probably the realest OTP in this story.

 

Unnie, you’re late again tod— oh.”

 

Hyejin noticed there are two other people she didn’t know, but at the same time recognize them because they’re the only girls from testosterone-filled school.

 

“Hyejinnie, this is Moonbyul and her cousin, Seulgi from Durmstrang.”

 

Hyejin raised her eyebrow expectantly at Yongsun as if saying ‘Really?? That fast?? You thirsty hoe.’ Yongsun rolls her eyes at those judging stare directed at her. It’s not her fault she’s on the same class and become close this fast.

 

“Hello unnies, you can call me Hwasa.”

 

After exchanging common courtesy, they finally settled down.

 

“So.. how did you guys met?”

 

It may not look unusual to the new guests, but Yongsun can clearly see the teasing grin on Hyejin’s face. The Gryffindor girl munched on her food nonchalantly, gouging reaction from Yongsun who almost choked on her soup.

 

“We are seat mate in the same class this morning.” Yongsun explained. “I guess third-year don’t have students from different schools mixed into your class?”

 

“Maybe. I didn’t see anyone new in my class.” Hyejin shrugged. “Is there any third year students from Durmstrang coming with you, unnies?”

 

“No, the youngest to join this trip is Seulgi, and she’s a fourth-year student.”

 

The older girl grinned proudly at her cousin. Joining the exchange to other school is an honor and something to be proud since you have to excel both academic and performance exams.

 

“I thought only students above 17 are allowed to join the tournament?” Yongsun raised her eyebrow.

 

“Well, not everyone come with us are qualified to join the tournament, some of them are our juniors.  Even the qualified student not all have the purpose of joining the tournament, maybe only half of us are going to throw our name in the flames.”

 

Moonbyul stopped chewing for a while and drink her pumpkin juice.

 

“You can still join the trip here as long as you passed the qualification, or for the junior’s case, you have to be the best on your year.”

 

“So, Seulgi-ssi here is the best on her year?” The eldest’s interest suddenly piqued. Honestly, the girl in front of her looks like the embodiment of cinnamon roll with that shy smile and polite gesture, but hearing Moonbyul’s story, she want to see Seulgi pull up some spell.

 

“Yes, she i—mmpphh.”

 

A hand shoots out to clamps Moonbyul’s mouth before she can finish the sentences.

 

Unnie!! Why are you always embarrassing me??”

 

The girls at that table chuckled lightly at the younger Durmstrang’s reaction.

 

“Okay, okay, now let me eat in peace.”

 

Moonbyul pinched her cousin’s cheeks lovingly.

 

“By the way unnie, i heard Soojung’s cousin is a third year and she already qualified to join the exchange here as one of the Beauxbatons students.”

 

Seulgi continues her interrupted meal, seriously, Hogwarts food is definitely delicious!

 

“Ah! Yes i met her before, quite a talented girl i’d say, that Jung Wheein.”

 

Hyejin stopped her eating immediately. She hasn’t heard that name for a few years, if the Jung Wheein Moonbyul knew is the same person she knew a long time ago, her suspicion on the glimpse of her childhood friend’s yesterday might be proven right.

 

“Ah, speaking of the devil.”

 

Hyejin comes back from her trace only to see two women wearing baby blue uniform from Beauxbatons walking towards their table. Her line of sight immediately focused on the blonde short haired girl chattering and giggling with the girl beside her.

 

The two girls stopped by their table and greeted both the Durmstrang girls before realizing they’re not alone. The blonde girl had the polite greeting held back in when she realizes who is the other person sat at the table. The same shocked expression mirrored back at Hyejin’s face. The few seconds of eye-contacts and awkward realization making the tension at that table go unnoticed by the rest. Wheein come back from her senses faster and faked a polite smile.

 

Unnies, i’ll go first to my class, i’ll be late.”

 

Before the others had the chance to respond, Wheein walks fast toward the other end. Hyejin stands and tried to chase the blonde albeit her late reaction. Who knows she can meet her long lost friend accidentally after a long four years.

 

“Yah! Jung Wheein!!”

 

But the blonde didn’t even stop or slowing down her pace, she disappeared quickly into the corner. Hyejin keep chasing her until she too, disappeared from the rest’s line of sight.

 

“........................”

 

Silence filled the table as they looks at each other.

 

“I guess they know each other.”

 

Yongsun shrugged. She will ask Hyejin later, maybe the blonde is the person she talked about yesterday. Her focus back to the other stranger with gorgeous long brown wavy hair and clear blue eyes, pointy nose and clean cut jaw line makes her looks very pretty. The cold gazes fell upon Yongsun for a few seconds— which makes her shudder a bit, before shifted back to Byulyi.

 

“Byul, did you bring the books i asked last week?”

 

The stranger’s hand lingering a bit in Byulyi’s shoulder. Yongsun can’t help her eyes but to ponder on those hands. ‘Paw’s off Byulyi’s shoulder, woman!’

 

“Ah, yes it’s still in my suitcase. I’ll go retrieve it.”

 

Finished her satisfactory lunch, Moonbyul stands up and bid Yongsun and Seulgi a goodbye before heading out with the gorgeous stranger.

 

“See you later, Yongsun-ssi. You too, Sseul.”

 

On the table there are only two of them left, and awkward silence suddenly dawns on them. Honestly, Yongsun is a really shy person so it’s hard for her to keep up conversation. Seulgi is actually the same, but she’s keeping polite smile all the time. Yongsun tries to rack her brain for any kind of topics, and she found one.

 

“Are they your friends? The Beaxbatons girls, i mean.”

 

Seulgi finished off her last bite of pasta before dabbed the sauce off her lips with napkin.

 

“Yeah, Soojung is my close friend, but i never met her cousin— the girl who just ran, Wheein.”

 

“I see, it’s cool you guys can met on this tournament-slash-exchange program.” Yongsun hummed. “Even Byulyi-ssi looks close to her.”

 

Seulgi chuckled.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Of course they looks close, Soojung is Byulyi-unnie fiancé.”

 

 


Please don’t kill me?  :'))

 

Hello, sorry for the late update :D, finally I got my one-week holiday and time to finish this chapter. For you who are concerned, no, no-one is gonna be a in this story, including Krystal or Eric, and no, Byulyi is not gonna be a cheating hoe, girl can barely talk to pretty girls, let alone cheating. I just wanted to give more pull-and-push in this relationship, we will see how that will develop later.

I feel like I’m circling around in the casual school-life too much, but I guess it’s kinda needed to build the friendship first? Please be patient about the actual Triwizard tournament, maybe 2-3 more chapter to go before we entering the real thing.  I also commissioned my friend to create the pixel art! They looks really adorable right?

Anyway, thank you so much for reading this fic! Any comments, upvotes, and subscribe are greatly appreciated! See you later!