First Impression?

Beyond the Glory and Fate

“Ladies and gentleman, this is Miss Kim and Mr. Nam, our Head Prefect in this school.”

 

Eric and Yongsun nodded politely to the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons students. After the opening ceremony for Triwizard tournament, the rest of the students enthusiastically talking about the upcoming championship while eating their dinner. The rumors about who’s going to be the champion or most eligible candidates start flying around. Yongsun heard her name mentioned a few times and feels honored, but she have to disappoint them. Besides, Hogwarts has a lot more eligible candidates than her.

 

“Miss Kim and Mr. Nam will you to your rooms and explain about what you can and can’t do in this school. Remember, we can’t revoke your rights to join but we can take points in the tournament if you misbehave.” Professor McGonagall’s firm and low tone indicates that she isn’t only talks. “Now, if you’ll excuse me.”

 

The headmistress excuse herself to go back inside the Great Hall. Now it’s Yongsun and Eric turn to guide the rest of the students. “Yong, i will brief the prefects after escorting the ladies to their common rooms. Is it okay for you to the Durmstrang students?”

 

Yongsun almost rolled her eyes at Eric, as if she didn’t know his true intention of flirting with the girls. But this means she can ogle the hot girl from Durmstrang freely. Win-win situation. “Go ahead, lover boy.”

 

“Please follow me, ladies and gentlemen. I will you to your rooms.” Yongsun nodded to the Durmstrang students as a cue to follow her. She walks in the front and briefly explaining the type of classroom they walked through along the way until she stops at the Grand Staircase. The moving staircase was massive and they keep moving in every few seconds, and honestly she forgot how many time she late to class in her first year because of these stairs.

 

“Uh, please be careful while using this staircase because it’s kind of confusing and preferably if you could, just wait other Hogwarts students leading you.”

 

She heard some of the students snort and snickered as if they don’t believe her words. ‘Just wait until you went into Devil’s Snare room and we’ll see who laughed at the end.’ She ignores and leads them towards the East Towers where the Durmstrang’s student would finally rest. Yongsun nodded politely to the person inside the pictures, the Hogwarts ghost beamed happily since it’s been a long time someone will stay in the guest room.

 

“Ahhh, Miss Solar, finally you brought someone to stay here, i’ve been lonely and bored talking to myself.”

 

The ghost addressed her as Solar, which is her alias name in Hogwarts. She realized ‘Yongsun’ is kinda hard to pronounce here so she made an english name to make it easier. Only her korean friends calls her by her birth name like Hyejin and Eric.

 

“You guys will be staying here for the time being, if you had any question or complaints don’t hesitate to tell me.”

 

A hand shots upright between the crowd, and Yongsun didn’t take long to found whose hand it is. Tall handsome guy with pointy nose and dark raven hair is the owner of said hands.

 

“Miss Head Prefect, i think the night is very cold here in Hogwarts. Perhaps you can accompany me to warms my bed?”

 

Barks of laughter erupts from few Durmstrang students along him— which she guess his circle of friends, since everybody else either sighs or looking apologetic to her. Their behavior is like typical boi or jocks in high school and Yongsun is too tired to deal with this.

 

‘Damn you, Eric. This should be your job.’

 

Looking smug, the jerk from Durmstrang look at her as if waiting her to answer ‘yes’ or expecting her to be flustered and run away. Of course Kim Yongsun would have none of that.

 

“So Mr.... who’s your name?” Yongsun smiled.

 

“Krueger. Syd Krueger.” He answer proudly.

 

“Okay, Mr. Krueger. I believe our guest room will have fireplace so you won’t have to worry about that.” He looks like he would give another remark and Yongsun stop him before giving her another headache. “I also believe you know a heating spell? Or a Triwizard candidate like you did not know about a simple spell?”

 

Yongsun bites her urges to made another sarcastic remarks, simply because she’s one of the important figures in keeping the peace between three schools and making animosity toward others in the first night doesn’t sounds too great, right?

 

Instead of feeling shame or backing down, the boy snickered in a way that makes Yongsun want to use transfiguration spell. Maybe having detention once in a while is worth to shutting the person before her.

 

“Ha! You’re smart and witty, aren’t you? Just what i likes in women.” His goons hollered and praised him, bunch of fools, Yongsun thoughts. Yongsun sighed and before she can retort back, she caught a glimpse of silver hair moves from the crowd.

 

“Cut it off, Krueger. Some of us are tired, so do us a favor and shut your mouth.”

 

Yongsun saw some of the students grunts in approval and heading into the common rooms, while Krueger and his goons flustered, swearing a bit before going in the same direction. Now Yongsun can see clearly who’s the owner of that deep yet feminine voice, she guessed it’s either the young-looking black haired girl or the famous Moon Byul Yi because they’re the only girls there. Moon Byul Yi was standing there, watching her schoolmates going inside the guest rooms before flickered her eyes back at Yongsun. When their eyes met, she felt that strange jolt again— like a slight electricity flows in her body, and she wonder, does Moon Byul Yi felt that strange sensation too?

 

After few seconds of awkward silence, the silver haired girl nod politely at her before going to the same direction as her schoolmates. When she saw the last strand of silver hair disappearing behind guest dorm, reality came crashing back at her. Yongsun was too lost in her own mind that she realized late, she just creepily stare at her and hasn’t said thanks to the Durmstrang girl for dismissing the inappropriate remarks. She groaned at the thoughts. What a wonderful first impression.

 

 


 

 

Yongsun sighed for the......she herself already lost count how many times she groaned and berated on how foolish she is last night. It’s not like she cares for other people opinion or impression towards her, but she just didn’t want to be labeled as creep and ungrateful brat by Moon Byul Yi.

 

“If you let out a sigh one more time, i swear to Merlin’s beard, unnie, i will shove this ty baguette in your mouth.”

 

Hwasa threateningly pointed her half-eaten baguette loaf towards Yongsun.

 

“Yah Ahn Hyejin! Is that how you treat your elder? And who the hell eat a whole baguette with cream soup for breakfast?”

 

Hwasa shrugged. “I’m a growing girl unnie. Go to class instead of moping around all day, you’re ruining my appetite.”

 

Yongsun sulked but nodded her head. It’s no use to think much about what already happened, it’s better to spend her brain energy for her classes later.

 

“I’ll see you later at lunch, Hyejinnie.”

 

Hyejin grunts with mouth full of her breakfast and bid her goodbye. The seventh year Hufflepuff girl picks up her textbook and heading to her morning class, which is Potion class— one of her favorite.

 

When she enters the classroom she saw some of unfamiliar faces there. The usual quiet morning class is now looks more crowded with Beauxbatons and Durmstrang joining them. Now that the opening ceremony is done, the students outside Hogwarts use their daily uniform which is more simple and comfortable. Beauxbatons students swap their silk muffler with baby blue blazer and took off their hat, the Durmstrang students use their brown robe with leather belt instead of the red coat.

 

Yongsun took her favorite spot near the ingredients shelf, she can look better when the professor explain and demonstrating. Speaking of the devil, Yongsun saw the potion Professor, Horace Slughorn, entering the classroom with beaming smile.

 

“Good morning class, take your seats, and by that please don’t sit with your own group of respective students. Go mingle with others from different schools.”

 

With that, some of the students moved around to take a seat. Yongsun was going to sit up but there’s two Beauxbatons joining her table along with two Ravenclaw students. She smiled and nodded politely before opening her Advanced Potion textbook.

 

“Okay, let’s begin the lesson—“

 

Sharp knocks took the class’s attention to the entrance door. Yongsun looks up from her books only to find the subject of her overthinking this morning stood near the entrance. ‘Ah, so she’s in this class too.’

 

“I’m sorry i’m late, professor. Got a bit confused on the way here.”

 

The girl wear a brown coat like any other Durmstrang in the class, looking apologetic for interrupting the lesson.

 

“It’s okay miss... Moon, i believe? Go ahead and take a seat.”

 

Moonbyul’s eyes wandering around, searching for an empty seats before her eyes landed at the empty seat beside Yongsun. From the corner of her eyes, Yongsun can saw Moon Byul Yi make her way towards her.

 

“Is this seat taken?”

 

“No, go ahead.”

 

Moonbyul slide into the seat beside her and with that, the class proceed on learning about Wit-Sharpening Potion. From time to time, Yongsun can’t help but occasionally glance at the beauty beside her. Sharp nose, well defined jaw, and gorgeous greyish-blue iris compliment all the elements in her face. She almost get caught staring at the stranger creepily when the latter turns her head to face her.

 

“Uhh, can i see your textbooks? I’m a bit confused at the composition part.”

 

Yongsun steeled herself to not dumbly stare at that plump lips and move her textbooks between them. “Yeah, sure.”

 

The taller girl muttered ‘thanks’ softly and continue taking notes here and there with her quill pen. Yongsun turns her focus back on Professor Slughorn who’s start crushing some ginger root and throw it in the boiling pot. He mixed some other ingredients and demonstrated the steps in making the potion.

 

“Now class, i want you to work together in pair, and your partner should be from different school.”

 

Mixed groans and complaints like ‘What are we? Elementary students?’ Can be heard from the class. Sitting together with other students is already awkward, let alone works together in pair, since it’s just their first day know each other.

 

“No more complaints. You have to get used with each other’s presence since you’ll have to live and attend class together for a few months.”

 

Yongsun saw both of Ravenclaw and Beauxbatons students in her table already made a pairs, so that’s mean only the Durmstrang girl beside her is available. This made Yongsun a little bit nervous, but so far the girl seems nice enough.

 

“I’ll get the ingredients, can you start boiling the water?”

 

Moon Byul Yi nodded and put a fire charms on the pot while Yongsun gathers the ingredients from the shelf. After making sure she got all the materials, she’s back to her seat and look over her notes to make sure she got it all right.

 

“So, uhh, i only know that your surname is Kim. Should we introduce ourselves first?”

 

Moonbyul clears and offers her hand towards Yongsun. She looks up from her note and a little bit surprised at the gesture. Honestly the girl looks like that cool but silent beauty from high school cliché, so she didn’t expect her to be this friendly.

 

“Ah where’s my manner, my name is Solar Kim. You must be Moon Byul Yi?”Yongsun shook her hand.

 

Eyebrow risen hearing that statement from the Hufflepuff Girl, she didn’t remember talking or introducing herself to any Hogwarts students. In fact, Yongsun is the first student from other school that she has talked to.

 

“Nice to meet you, Miss Solar. How do you know my name though? Are you a stalker?”

 

Moonbyul grinned after seeing the girl’s cheeks in front of her turned a bit pinkish. Many people thinks she’s cold because of her looks, but in reality she like to jokes like these.

 

“You’re quite famous, if you did not notice. Many of my peers talks about you.”

 

It’s true that yesterday night after she came back from escorting the students, many of her friends talking about the potential candidates from every school, including Moon Byul Yi. As she lounged herself comfortably in Hufflepuff’s common room, she heard a lot of gossips about the famous girl being the trump card from Durmstrang, along with the jerk Krueger.

 

“Ah, i feel honored there’s people knew me in this school.” She smiled sheepishly. “When i heard your surname i was sure you’re Korean.”

 

“In matter of fact, i’m indeed Korean. My real name is kinda hard to pronounce in here, so i made myself an english name.”

 

Sudden interest shown up in the taller girl’s eyes.

 

“It’s nice to meet fellow Korean here, in my school it’s just me and my sister. You can just call me Moonbyul or Byulyi.”

 

Moonbyul changes her way of speak into Korean language. It’s been a while since Yongsun speaks the familiar language she uses at home when she’s younger, so it took a little time to adjust back into her mother’s tongue.

 

“Then you can call me Yongsun, nice to meet you too, Byulyi”

 

Yongsun herself can feel her lips lifted upwards when she saw the other girl smiled softly at her.

.

.

.

 

 

She will definitely look forward for Potion Class on Monday morning after this.

 

 


Hello, sorry to cut this chapter abruptly, I don’t want to make each chapter too long >< I realized the first two chapter is very boring since I had to laid the background a bit T__T hopefully in the next chapter i can put more character interaction. When I writing towards half of the chapter I kinda made Byulyi more like fanon Byul than canon Byul, maybe it’s because she’s from Durmstrang .-. also I need to tone down Yongsun’s thrist for Byul lmao, she’s getting ooc :’)

I added Pixel of Durmstrang Byul as the cover! :D My friend made that for me and Yongsun is coming up! i can't wait to finally put them up together

Anyways, thank you very much for the advices! It helps a lot with my decision! Every comments, subscribe and votes is much appreciated :D