Problem 2: The Neighbour

Girl Problems

Girl you should be mine
I have no intention of hurting you, baby
It’s not a game to me
Are you also feeling so happy, so happy
It’s obvious


Every time Baekhyun shuts his eyes as he pleasures a girl, he catches a glimpse of a yellow dress. It is driving him crazy.

So crazy that the same day on the following week, Baekhyun preoccupies himself with a rather noisy girl whose mouth he has to cover as she screams at the pleasure he is giving her. Until he knows that it is about time for the Yellow Dress Girl to end her class, Baekhyun quickly finishes up and dresses himself, trying to look as proper as he can. The girl who is only just calming down from her high blinks when she realises that Baekhyun is no longer hovering over her. She props herself up on her table and lifts her head just in time to catch the male leaving the empty classroom.

Baekhyun quickens his pace, his heart still pounding from the activity he has just been through. He is glad he remembers exactly where the Yellow Dress Girl’s classroom is, he’s only been to this side of the building once and that was because he had been mindlessly following the cute girl. He has only gotten there when the first student walks out of the room. He stands opposite the room, leaning against the wall, his hands in his jeans pocket. He quirks his eyebrow at several girls as they walk out, a smirk on his lips. He feels his confidence boosting when he sees them blush and scurry off away from him.

He waits for awhile until he finally sees the girl walking out of the room, texting on her phone with a grin on her face. She lifts her head after pressing send and Baekhyun feels his body freezing up for a moment when she faces him. But then she goes back to her phone again, her fingers furiously typing in another message. She turns to her left without another glance at Baekhyun and that is when he realises that she hadn’t actually seen him.

Feeling quite out of his element but still full of fighting spirit in him, he pushes of the wall and trails after her. He gives her a little space, wondering how best to approach her. Should he pretend to bump into her? Should he call out to her? He doesn’t even know her name. What should he do?

“Baekhyun!”

The male stops and turns around, surprised to be hearing his name called out instead. He is relieved it isn’t the girl he had left so brusquely before but he is still exasperated that Jongdae has somehow caught him. But he thinks God must be on his side when Jongdae glances behind Baekhyun and, upon noticing the girl, calls out to her as well, waving his hand excitedly. Baekhyun whips his head to the side and sees that she has come to a stop. She smiles when she sees Jongdae and at once locks her phone, walking back towards him. Baekhyun strides over to Jongdae’s side.

“What the , you know her?” he hisses.

The male who had been smiling at the girl turns his head to look at his friend like he is crazy. “She’s my neighbour, Baekhyun. Of course I know her.”

“You never told me about her,” he argues, sounding more worked up than he should be.

Jongdae scowls at him. “I always tell you about her. She’s the one who brings her little sister over every month for Taco Night. I invited you before but you didn’t want to go.” Just before the girl enters within hearing range, he mutters, “You’re acting crazy, Baek.”

Baekhyun gapes. So he could have met her a long time ago. He could probably have her wrapped around his fingers by now if he had gone at least once to Jongdae’s Taco Night.

He has to stop himself there. Is this what he is doing? Trying to get her to fall for him so he can have his way with her just like he has with every other girl? He darts his eyes to her when she stands next to him, greeting her neighbour with a radiant smile. Baekhyun scrutinises her makeup that doesn’t cake up her face, her long brown hair, her peculiar outfit that consists of an oversized white shirt with a child’s drawing all over the fabric and a skirt. She isn’t even close to his type of girl.

What Baekhyun likes is a girl who knows how to dress up and make herself look presentable, a girl who is in tune with his ual needs. Not this… this innocent girl who wears $8 dresses from flea markets and a shirt that is designed by a kid. He can’t be trying to lure her into his trap. Besides, he has never attempted to before when girls just flock themselves to him on their own accord.

“Nice shirt,” Jongdae says, nodding at the girl’s top.

She looks down at her scribbled white shirt and chuckles. “I let my sister design it a few days ago. A keepsake of her at four years old.”

Jongdae makes a face and nods. “It’s sad when they start growing up, isn’t it?”

She sighs and nods in agreement. “I hate watching her grow up.”

Baekhyun, who has been watching their interaction, notices the short pause in their conversation. He quickly nudges Jongdae who frowns at him, suspicion etched on every feature of his face. Baekhyun widens his eyes and tips his head towards the girl subtly. Jongdae rolls his eyes and, against his better judgment, introduces the both of them.

“Ah, you’re Baekhyun,” she nods thoughtfully, staring at him.

He raises his brows, feeling quite smug that she knows him. “You’ve heard of me?” Everyone should have heard of the infamous Byun Baekhyun.

She gives him an unreadable but polite smile. “Yes. Just rumours and stuff.”

He frowns, his heart starting to pound with anxiety. What has she heard about him? “What kind of rumours?”

She only gives him a fleeting smile and shakes her head. “Nothing bad.” Baekhyun lets out a sigh of relief. He doesn’t even know why he is so anxious about her finding out the nasty things people say about him. But then she hums, tilting her head slightly. “Depending on how you see it.” She doesn’t even give him the time to ask about it when she turns promptly to Jongdae as if Baekhyun isn’t even there. “My sister says she misses you, by the way. When is next month’s Taco Night?”

Jongdae laughs and checks his watch. “It’s only been a week since our last Taco Night.”

She chuckles and Baekhyun can only stare at her, the tinkling laughter of hers resonating every bone in his body. Is she a fairy, or is she witch? Why does she have such a power over him when he has never felt like that before? She isn’t even that pretty.

“Yeah, but she loves you,” the girl responds to Jongdae’s statement with a playful eye roll. “She thinks you’re her prince.”

Baekhyun looks at Jongdae, feeling a sort of jealousy trickle through his bloodstream. He wants to be the prince to her sister. And that’s saying something, considering how Baekhyun has never met any of his ex-girlfriends’ families. He just can’t deal with that kind of commitment.

Jongdae laughs. “Well, I’m very flattered.” Then he nods at the direction she had been heading towards. “Where are you going?”

“Home. I’m hungry,” she says shyly with an embarrassed chuckle.

Baekhyun thinks her rosy cheeks are extremely cute. He wants to kiss them. But more than anything, Baekhyun wants to bring her out to eat. Better yet, bring her out and show her a new world she is not used to.

“I’m about to leave too,” Jongdae pipes up with a smile. Baekhyun can’t help it when he shoots him a glare. “We can leave together.”

“That sounds good,” she nods her head, giving a polite smile that has become something Baekhyun compares to every time he sees a girl smile at him.

Baekhyun wants to go with them but he drove to uni today. Maybe he could just leave his car in campus for today and come back tomorrow by public transport. But that would be stupid. Besides, she’s a girl who doesn’t even give a damn about the Byun Baekhyun. Imagine all the work he has to go through just to get her to actually see him. He isn’t going to just take the public transport just so he could spend a little bit more time with a girl. Who does she even think she is?

“Shall we go then?” Jongdae smiles at the girl courteously, extending his hand in the direction towards the car park. The girl nods and follows him to start walking. Baekhyun joins them. Jongdae glances at him suspiciously. “Where are you going, Baekhyun?”

He doesn’t even think when he blurts, “I’ll go to your place to chill.”

Jongdae quirks a bemused eyebrow. Baekhyun never goes over to chill. Baekhyun just never goes to Jongdae’s place when he could be doing something more productive (like girls) with his time, period.

“Did you drive?”

Baekhyun once again doesn’t hesitate when he lies, “Nope.”



 

Baekhyun is sitting at the back of Jongdae’s car, his thoughts on his own Audi that will be sitting in the car park overnight. He stares at the back of the girl’s head at the passenger’s seat, actually wondering if she’s some sort of sorcerer. How did she manage to get Baekhyun to leave his car just to spend some extra 15 minutes with her?

“So you guys met before?” Jongdae directs his question to the two other passengers in the car.

The girl is the one who answers first. “Yeah, just once.” She turns back to give Baekhyun a smile so sweet he can only gape and take those few seconds to take in all of its sweetness. He blinks in a daze when she turns back to Jongdae. “Baekhyun told me my dress was pretty.”

Jongdae gives him a look through the rearview mirror. “Did he?” he mumbles. “Interesting.”

Baekhyun scowls. “It was a very cute dress in a very pretty colour,” he grumbles, trying to justify himself though he knows it wouldn’t work anyway. Not with Jongdae.

The girl chuckles. “Yeah. He even told me I looked breathtaking when I told him that my friends think the yellow colour of it makes me look ugly. Isn’t that so sweet of him?”

Baekhyun’s heart pumps a little harder at the compliment. But Jongdae has to be a killjoy when he snorts. “Yeah,” he says sarcastically. “Real sweet.”

Baekhyun clears his throat to save himself from an incoming disaster he can tell Jongdae would bring. He leans forward a little. “So what are you majoring in?”

The girl shifts slightly in her seat and suddenly Baekhyun is so damn glad he chose to sit behind Jongdae because now he could see her pretty side profile. His gaze lingers on the ribbon earring on her ear and he can’t help but think that her assemble is a total wreck that still looks so good on her. And it’s just so weird how he thinks she is a whole other category of pretty when he never would have looked at a girl like her for more than a second.

“Speech therapy,” she answers with a calm voice that reminds Baekhyun of the summer breeze at the beach. She glances at him and a wry smile tweaks her lips. “My little sister has a speech disability.”

“So that motivated you to do speech therapy?” Baekhyun asks, surprised a second later at how soft and careful he sounds. Baekhyun doesn’t do soft and careful. If anything, he is rough and careless.

She nods her head before giving him a bright smile. Baekhyun swears the clouds have unblocked the sun because there is just no way a simple smile could brighten up the day.

“What are you majoring in, Baekhyun?”

And now Baekhyun thinks the way she pronounces his name is entirely too mesmerising. He swallows. “I major in music.”

She looks surprised as her eyebrows raise. “What do you play?”

“The piano,” he answers. “Though I’m really a vocalist.”

She is in awe as she comments, “Wow. So I’m sharing a car with two musicians.” She turns to Jongdae with a playfully horrified look. “Please don’t turn on the radio and make me embarrass myself in front of the both of you.”

Jongdae laughs. “I won’t.” Then he gives her a serious look. “I know not to go through another round of your singing after that one karaoke night.”

She gasps and flusters, her cheeks rosy with embarrassment. “I was drunk that night!”

“You only had three shots of soju,” Jongdae snorts.

And suddenly Baekhyun wishes he was Jongdae. His mind is flooded with images of her getting drunk off only three shots of alcohol, of her singing confidently at the top of her lungs. Baekhyun finds himself getting bitter at the fact that he wasn’t there to witness that. If he had only gone to at least one Taco Night at Jongdae’s…

“This is why I never want to drink with you again,” the girl grumbles, a slight pout on her lips. “You make fun of me all the time.”

“Alright, I’m sorry,” Jongdae apologises, laughing slightly. “If it makes you feel better, Baekhyun is a bad drinker too.”

Glad that the conversation has been directed back to him so that he could have more time talking to her, Baekhyun darts his eyes to her when she turns to face him with a surprised look on her face. “Really?” She scans his torn jeans and grey shirt that has an explicit picture on it, his silvery pink hair messy in a handsome way. “You don’t look like one,” she finally says, now looking at him with a teasing smile.

Baekhyun has to exhale slowly, his heart pounding a little bit. Do girls feel like that when he scans their bodies with his lustful eyes? Though this girl hadn’t even looked at him with anything close to lust.

“What is that supposed to mean?” he asks, lacing his voice with a lilt of playfulness.

She giggles and shakes her head. A smile works its way to Baekhyun’s face unconsciously. “You just look like you drink every weekend. And from what I’ve heard, you do. So you should have good alcohol tolerance, no?”

“Yeah, no,” Jongdae answers for Baekhyun who glares at him.

“I’m getting better!” Baekhyun tries to argue.

But Jongdae only gives him a look. “Going from one bottle of soju to two isn’t a big jump, considering that one, you drink almost every weekend and two, you can only drink two bottles if it’s a good day.”

The girl glances at Baekhyun and laughs softly when she sees the scowl on his face. “It’s okay, Baekhyun,” she consoles him. He flickers his eyes over to her at once, almost like a puppy awaiting more praises from its owner. “We can share a bottle of apple juice if we ever go drinking with Jongdae.”

The driver snorts. “Baekhyun only drinks to—”

“Yes, of course!” Baekhyun quickly cuts in. Jongdae frowns at him through the mirror but he makes it a point to look away. He smiles at the girl. “We can have a chill drink this Friday.”

She chuckles softly and nods her head. Her smile directed to Baekhyun is pleasant and courteous. “Sure. We can get Jongdae drunk this time,” she jokes, which only makes the male snarl playfully at her.

Baekhyun lets out a silent sigh, undoubtedly disappointed that his presence that has never gone unseen is always constantly overlooked when he’s with her.



 

“What are you up to, Baekhyun?” Jongdae demands the moment the two boys see the girl to her home and enter the opposite unit where Jongdae lives.

“What?” Baekhyun grumbles as he throws himself onto the bean bag in the living room, picking up a succulent on the table. “Why do you have a ing succulent in your house?”

“My girlfriend bought it to give our house some life, or whatever it is,” Jongdae answers dismissively, now standing before Baekhyun with his hands on his hips. “Are you trying to hit on my neighbour?”

Baekhyun glances up at his friend, cocking an eyebrow. “What gave it away?”

Jongdae rolls his eyes and drags the other bean bag next to Baekhyun so that he could sit in front of him. “She’s out of bounds, Byun Baekhyun,” he warns him seriously.

Baekhyun puts down the succulent with a frown. “Why? She’s not your girlfriend.”

“She’s not. But she’s too innocent and cute. You’re just going to ruin her life.”

“No, I’m not. I’m going to spice up her life.”

“This,” Jongdae stabs a finger in Baekhyun’s direction, his eyes narrowed. “This is why you’re not allowed to make a move on her. She doesn’t need her life to be spiced up. Especially not by a boy like you.” Baekhyun scowls at him. “Besides, she’s not even your type.”

He groans now, running a frustrated hand through this hair. “That’s the problem, Jongdae,” he finally grouses. “I know she’s not my type. But I just… I want her.”

“Well, stop. She’s not some sort of toy you can buy. You can’t want her. I’m not allowing it.”

“You’re not my dad.”

“Do you even listen to your dad?” Jongdae sees Baekhyun opening his mouth indignantly to argue back. He quickly carries on, “I’m both hers and your friend so trust me when I say you’re both not suited for each other.”

Baekhyun feels his heart crushing. “Why? I think I really like her, Jongdae.”

“The fact that you said I think at the start of that sentence is why,” his friend answers simply, his tone serious. “Baekhyun, you’re made to destroy girls’ lives. And I don’t want you to destroy hers.”

“Thank you for that compliment but I’m actually serious about her this time.” Baekhyun catches the eye roll Jongdae exaggerates. “I’m serious!”

“No, you’re not.”

“I am!”

“Shut up, Baekhyun. You’re not.”

“I am! I don’t have any intention of hurting her either!”

Jongdae an eyebrow at him. “Really.”

“Yes, really!” Baekhyun huffs.

Jongdae hums and leans back in his bean bag, crossing his arms over his chest. “Okay, so when you said you want her, did you mean you want to her like how you do all the other girls?”

“Maybe.” He groans when Jongdae rolls his eyes again and moves to push himself off the bean bag. “I’m just kidding!” Baekhyun exclaims, stopping his friend from leaving. “I just want to get to know her.”

“Why?”

It is such a simple, one-worded question. Yet Baekhyun finds himself hesitating. Not because he had been lying to Jongdae about being serious. But because he has too many answers to the question and it is unnerving.

How does he confess that he wants to get to know her after meeting her for the first time last week? That he wants to hear more of her flea market stories and cheap steals. That he wants to see what other kind of quirky clothes she has that would still look so pretty on her. That he wants to learn more about her love for her younger sister with a speaking disability. That he wants to see more of her other smiles, not just the polite ones. That he wants to hear more of her tinkling laughter.

In that moment of hesitation, Jongdae takes the pause as Baekhyun being unable to answer the question. He rolls his eyes and stands up. “Just get off your high horse, Baekhyun. No way in hell I’m letting you get to know her,” he says the phrase with air bunny quotations.

Baekhyun is desperate when he stands to trail after him. “I really do want to get to know her!”

“Baekhyun, you treat girls like they’re puppets. It’s like a game to you.”

“Well, it’s not a game this time.” Jongdae looks at him, deadpanned. “I’m serious. I genuinely like her.”

“You think you like her,” his friend reminds him.

He groans. “Can we forget I even said that?”

“No because you already did.” Baekhyun groans. The owner of the house gives him a look. “What is it about her that you like, anyway?”

“I honestly don’t know,” Baekhyun mumbles, sounding so confused that Jongdae simply stares at him, scanning the changes in his facial features. “She’s just so… bright. Like the sun.” Then Baekhyun darts his eyes to Jongdae, who is watching him in amusement. Baekhyun is embarrassed when he quickly shakes his head. He is getting too lyrical and it is kind of gross. “I don’t know, I don’t know. She’s just different.”

Jongdae finds it very funny how confused Baekhyun is. And honestly, he knows that feeling very well, having been through it once when he had fallen for his current girlfriend. To see Baekhyun this confused due to an infatuation over a girl amuses Jongdae. And he thinks maybe, just maybe, Baekhyun is serious about her.

“I’ll arrange dinner with her this Friday,” Jongdae finally says. His lips curl slightly when he sees the brightening of Baekhyun’s eyes. “Come or not, it’s up to you,” he warns him though he already has a feeling that Baekhyun wouldn’t even miss it for all the in the world.

 


 


Author's note:

Writing this is so fun. I really enjoy writing fluff with no drama lol. Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!

xoxo