Problem 3: The Three Bears Song

Girl Problems

The guy you spotted in town
Was just someone who resembles me
After all there’s only one answer girl
Cause you are the no. 1


Baekhyun taps his fingers impatiently on the steering wheel. Traffic is always terrible on Friday evenings. He should have known to leave the girl’s house at least half an hour earlier. She hadn’t even given him what he had been looking for. He stayed that long only because he was chasing that high, hoping to find the pleasure he always gets from . But he didn’t even come close to it.

He glances at the time and groans when he sees that it is already almost seven. He is going to be late to the dinner. He wishes he won’t be though, because that is such a bad first impression, even if he has met the girl he is trying to impress before. But he knows he can’t do anything about it now, so he picks up his phone and calls Jongdae. He answers after several rings.

“I’m stuck in traffic,” he tells his friend. The background is noisy, telling Baekhyun that he is already at the restaurant. “I’m going to be late.”

“Alright, we’ll get a table first. We’re all present already, by the way.”

“, I’m sorry,” Baekhyun apologises with a groan. It’s not just Jongdae and his neighbour who are at the dinner. Jongdae’s girlfriend and Minseok were invited as well. “Order without me.”

“Goes without saying,” Jongdae sings. “Drive safe. See you.”

Baekhyun sighs and hangs up the call. He drives through the traffic and eventually gets to the restaurant 20 minutes after seven. He finds them settled cozily in a booth, all of them sharing pleasant talks. He scans the table and sees the girl sitting on the inside, next to Jongdae’s girlfriend.

“Ah, look who rocked up,” Minseok comments, leaning back in his seat to smirk at him.

Baekhyun scowls at him and slides into the booth next to him, opposite Jongdae and the two girls. He turns to the others, lingering his gaze slightly longer on the girl who is wearing a blue plaid babydoll dress, her hair tied up in a ponytail today. He thinks she looks absolutely gorgeous.

“Sorry I’m late,” he apologises, only glancing at Jongdae and his girlfriend before landing his eyes back on the new girl.

She gives him a warm smile that makes his heart skip a beat. Then she turns away to grab a french fry. He gives his attention to Jongdae now, who has been watching him the entire time.

“Beer?” He raises an eyebrow.

Baekhyun looks at the girl. “I thought we were just going to have juice,” he mumbles.

She chuckles and points at her own pint of beer, “They made me drink beer too. So I guess not.”

Baekhyun turns to Jongdae, wondering what on earth he is doing. He knows Baekhyun can’t drink. And he also knows that when Baekhyun drinks, he always ends up going home with a girl on his arm. So why is he making him drink? Or worse, why is he even making her drink when he knows that she can’t take her alcohol either?

But Jongdae only grins at him with his signature Cheshire cat smile, his eyes twinkling with a sort of mischief that Baekhyun is honestly scared of.



 

He has stolen Minseok’s spot when the older male went to the toilet. Baekhyun has no thought of returning his spot back to him as he sits there, enjoying a better view of the pretty girl that has been on his mind most of the time for two weeks now. He has also somehow been roped into drinking soju, just as the girl has been so that they’re both tipsy enough to be more comfortable with each other instead of Baekhyun trying to come up with small talks.

“Sing me something,” she pleads as she picks out the capsicums in her food.

Baekhyun notices that and he thinks it’s cute that she doesn’t eat peppers. “No,” he laughs, his eyes plastered on her pretty face, watching her almost fondly.

“Please?” she begs, giggling slightly.

He can’t help but to lean forward a little, wanting to see her smile more clearly, wanting to hear her laughter more vividly. “Not here,” he chuckles softly, his eyes on her pink lips that are stretched into a smile.

“Then where?” she frowns at him with a slight pout.

Baekhyun can’t believe that he has her where he wants her now. He tilts his head to the side, a handsome smirk on his face. “If you let me drive you home later, I’ll sing for you.”

“But Jongdae’s right here,” the girl frowns, turning her head to look at the couple next to her.

“Then come home with me,” Baekhyun murmurs, his voice low and compelling, luring her into his trap, knowing how successful he is in doing so.

“Just to hear you sing?” she teases, laughing. She shakes her head and looks down at her food to start eating. “I’m a sleepy drunk anyway. I probably won’t even get to hear you sing.”

Baekhyun feels the situation slipping out of his control and he hates it. He can’t remember any girl brushing off an invitation to sleep with him before.

“It’s okay,” he quickly says. “You can sleep at my place. I have a big bed.”

She looks up and crinkles her nose at him, a strand of glass noodle dangling out of her puckered lips as she the rest of it into . “You really do sound like the wolf from Little Red Riding Hood,” she tells him honestly as a tease. Baekhyun flusters. He can only gape at her, not quite sure what to say to that. Luckily, she gives him a cheeky smile. “We’ll see. If you give me a preview and I think I want to hear more, I’ll go back with you.”

Baekhyun doesn’t even need to think twice. His heart feels like it has floated up with excitement. He nods his head and beckons her to come closer. Eager to hear his singing, the girl puts down her chopsticks and leans forward. Baekhyun pauses for a moment, pausing for a moment to take in her features in a close distance. His lips tilt into a soft smile. Dropping his voice into a low timbre, he sings a line from Someone Like You, only for her to hear.

Baekhyun has never done this before. He has never sung for a girl and neither has he tried this hard to get someone to go home with him. He doesn’t even know why he is doing this for her. But when he stops singing and witnesses the bright smile on her face, her warm eyes crinkling into half moons, he feels a tickle in his chest and a tug in his stomach. He doesn’t know what that is but he really hopes the food isn’t spoilt or anything.

And when he hears the girl lock in her final answer, he gets a little bit lightheaded.

“You got me there, Baekhyun. I’ll go home with you,” she grins.



 

Baekhyun pretends not to see Jongdae glaring at him. He waits by the side with his hands in his pockets as he watches the girl reassure her neighbours that she would be fine going home with Baekhyun. Minseok narrows his eyes on Baekhyun as well, nudging him when he stands next to him.

“Don’t hurt her, Baekhyun. If you do, I’m going to come for you,” Minseok threatens him.

Baekhyun frowns and turns to him. “Didn’t you just meet her today?”

Minseok rolls his eyes. “I’ve met her many times before this, Baekhyun. She’s a sweet, wholesome girl. Don’t ruin her.”

Baekhyun isn’t even listening. “Wait, how’d you meet her?”

“Taco Night.”

“You went?!”

“Yeah,” Minseok shrugs. “It’s only you who never goes. Too busy flirting and ing.”

Baekhyun glares at him. The girl comes back to Baekhyun’s side and grins up at him. He hasn't drank too much but he blames it on the alcohol anyway when he feels his heart thumping against his chest. He swallows and smiles back at her, placing a guiding hand on her back.

“Bye, Minseok,” she waves politely to the older male.

“Be careful,” he says as he waves back.

Baekhyun nods at Minseok and Jongdae, pretending not to see their narrowed gazes. He guides the girl to his car and opens the door for her, helping her in. She thanks him softly and when he shuts the door, he briefly wonders what he would do after singing for her. Should he show her how good he is in bed? Or should he simply try to build up this new friendship with her?

He is still contemplating over it when he reaches his building complex and brings the girl back to his apartment. She scans the interior, taking in the mess of Baekhyun’s place. He actually doesn’t recall a time when he brought a girl back to his apartment. Baekhyun always does the deed in their place or at motels. He has never brought a girl back to his messy house before.

“Do you want to take a shower?” Baekhyun asks, not quite sure what to offer her.

She tears her gaze away from the couch strewn with clothes and looks at the guy. She gives him a small smile. “If I could, please.”

He nods quickly and goes into his room which is much cleaner than the rest of his apartment. He grabs a set of clothes and a towel for her. When he comes out of his room, he finds her picking up empty bags of potato chips on the floor. He suddenly feels way too embarrassed. Quickly, he rushes towards her and takes the trash off her hands, instead putting the fresh clothes on her palms.

“I’ll clean up while you shower,” he mumbles, the tips of his ears red.

She smiles and nods, letting him have his way. So while she takes a shower, Baekhyun organises his house as best as he can. And when the girl comes out of the bathroom, his throat dries at the sight of her in his shirt and pants that are oversized on her body, her towel piled on top of her head. She smiles at him and walks over. Baekhyun has to hold his breath.

“Do you have a plastic bag I can put my dirty clothes in?”

“Y-Yeah,” he stutters, dropping the hat he is holding back onto the couch where he picked it up from, at once going to the kitchen to get what she is asking for.

Baekhyun opens the bag for her and watches her drop her clothes into it, noticing her bra and joining the mix. Oh, no. Has the temperature risen or is it just him? Why is it getting so hard to breathe?

“You can shower now,” she tells him with a bright smile, taking the bag from him. “Where shall I wait for you to sing me to sleep?” she teases cheekily.

Baekhyun gulps. “My bed,” he breathes, still gaping at her.

She nods. “Okay. Don’t take too long. I’m already getting a bit sleepy,” she tells him, chuckling slightly.

So Baekhyun really doesn’t take long for his shower. He is out in seven minutes, returning to his room where he finds the girl under the blanket of his queen sized bed, scrolling through her phone, eyes droopy. She looks up at him when he enters. Locking her phone, she turns to the side and stares at him. Like his feet are tied, he shuffles to the bed and sits lightly on the edge of the mattress.

“What do you want me to sing?” he murmurs softly, his voice soothing and low.

She hums thoughtfully. “Three bears,” she whispers in a sleepy murmur.

Baekhyun can’t help the tilt of his lips. “Three bears?” he repeats in amusement, quirking an eyebrow.

She chuckles in a low, husky tone. “Yes.”

So of course Baekhyun does it. He sings the childhood song slowly, soothingly. He watches her eyes flutter and close eventually. His heart swelling in his chest, he reaches out tentatively to brush her hair away from her face. He leaves his soft hand on the side of her face, his thumb rubbing her cheek gently.

He has never done this before. Baekhyun has never sat on his bed, a girl’s hair, while singing her to sleep. Actually, Baekhyun can’t even remember the last time he hadn’t had on a Friday night. This is entirely new to Baekhyun. And he isn’t quite sure what to make of that contentment in his chest. He’s not familiar with this but he’s not complaining.



 

The girl in Baekhyun’s arms groans and stretches her body. He frowns slightly as consciousness returns to him. He flutters his eyes open and sees the girl turning her head to look at him with the cutest confused look on her face. He hopes he is healthy when his heart starts to race in his chest so early in the morning.

“Morning,” she smiles at him, moving away slightly as she sits up, rubbing her eye.

Baekhyun takes his hand away from her waist and looks up at her, watching her undo the kinks in her hair with her hands. “Morning,” he whispers breathlessly, feeling quite awed at the light glow surrounding her.

She turns back to look at him, her eyes glancing down to his black shirt. She lets out quite a disbelieving chuckle. “I can’t believe we didn’t do anything last night.”

Baekhyun frowns at her. “What do you mean?”

“I’ve just heard stuff about you. Going to bed with every girl,” she tells him honestly. Baekhyun knows that it is the truth but why does he feel so disgusted with himself? “And I’ve heard my friends who go clubbing often say that they see you with many different girls every night.”

“They must have seen wrongly,” Baekhyun says at once, desperate for her to think of him in a better light. “Maybe it was just a guy who looks like me.”

She chuckles and shrugs. “Maybe.”

Baekhyun feels his body prickling with anxiety. He had established such a nice foundation with her yesterday night though. He worries that she might stop being his friend just because of what he’s done. But then he is put out of his misery when she smiles at him.

“But thank you for respecting me,” she tells him with a sweet smile.

His heart thuds in his chest at her words. Feeling very proud of himself, he smiles back at her. But the smile falls when she scoots over to the edge of the mattress. He feels anxiety coursing through his veins once more. Is this going to be common when he is with her?

“Are you leaving?” he questions, sounding way too anxious.

“No, I’m just going to the bathroom,” she murmurs, turning her head to frown at him. “Why do you sound so afraid that I’d leave?”

“Because I like you,” he blurts without even thinking about what he is saying.

She stares at him for a moment, her face expressionless. Then she quirks an eyebrow. “Me? Why me?”

Isn’t it obvious? Baekhyun thinks. But then he realises that it isn’t really that obvious if he doesn’t even know it himself. Especially not if he had no clue that he had even said what he said. When he doesn’t answer her quick enough, she clucks her tongue and shakes her head at him, chuckling.

“That’s not a very good joke, Baekhyun,” she tells him, honestly thinking that he is pulling her leg.

As she gets down the bed, Baekhyun stares at her retreating back, suddenly wondering where his overflowing confidence has gone to whenever he is in her presence. What the hell is she?



 

Baekhyun can’t forget the smell of her skin when he cuddled her on Friday night. He feels like he is going to go mad, especially when he presses his nose to his pillow on Sunday, hoping to still be able to smell her. Even when he is going at it with one of his usual girls, he finds himself not quite enjoying it. Every time he scans the face of the girl in front of him, he can’t help but to compare her to the girl who has been occupying his mind the entire weekend. And every time his phone pings with a text message, he finds himself hoping with all his heart that she would text him since they exchanged numbers on Friday, only to be disappointed by the message from a girl who wants another night with him. Then he would throw his phone to the side and groan to himself.

It is terrible.

Baekhyun doesn’t even know what is happening to him and he hates it. She has gotten underneath his skin without even doing anything and now all he can think about is her.

She has become the number one thought in his mind and has consequently ruined his life.

 

 


Author's note:

Wow at the daily updates... I understand why... it's bc my chapters are all so short... but i hope they're still enjoyable! This story is going to be 9 chapter long anyway and i would expect the later chapters to be longer! right now baekhyun is still having that internal conflict w himself haha He'll probably come to terms with it before the second chorus of the song! 

xoxo