2/3

ALMOST LOVER

In the short amount of times, she never expect to meet someone like him. Someone that never ever crossed in her mind. They have been a batch mates for several years yet they never had a conversation together. How wonderful fate could be, she met him in the hallway of the school and poof— suddenly she just had a major crush towards him. 

 

His perfect rectangular smile, his beautiful eyes always drive Chae Ri insane. She notices how he will greets her in the morning or whenever they bumped into each other despite the fact that they just got to know each other. Baekhyun such a lovely person. He is a smart, kind and very polite boy that most of the teachers love and didn’t exclude from the most-wanted-crush list among students. 

 

“I think I just have a crush on him. No scratch that. I have a major crush on Byun Baekhyun” Chae Ri said to her roommate in their room. 

 

Rose was shocked. slightly left hanging, “You— what?!” She gasped. “Babe, are you serious?” 

 

“I am very serious babe and I think I’m going to be friend with him” She said. “To get know him better”

 

Going to class everyday has become the most favorite thing that she love right now and she have no reason left to hate high school. Of course, that is the time that she will be able to meet him. She is friendly with some boys in their class but not him. She determined to get closer to him during the last six months in this senior year. She never know either she will meet him again after school ended later. 

 

Baekhyun will sit at the end of second row, at the left section in the class. Two row below, separated with her that was seated at the middle section and it give Chae Ri access to secretly stares at him every day. Normally she will having a hard time to focus on the learning session but now it just make it worst. Instead of paying attention to the white board, she will just devote all her attention towards him. She was lovestruck. 

 

Unlike her, Baekhyun looking calm in his seat listening to everything that the teacher said, once in awhile write something in his note book, jotting down some useful information. He then titled his head slightly, caught her staring at him. He smiles at her. Only to make Chae Ri surprised and made her blushing so bad. She move her head direction, not staring into him anymore. It just way too embarrassing to get caught staring at your own crush.

 

They never expect that the little stares exchanged in the class at that time has become starting point for their relationship development. They have becoming friend and getting closer. Once in awhile time during class they will sneakily look at each other and when their eyes meet, it was like a hidden secret message was sent. Sometimes, Baekhyun will be the one to stares her, continuously until she noticed. 

 

“Sleepy?” He asked without using his voice. He made a sleeping gesture, showing her what he meant by his words. 

 

“Yes” She nodded as to agree at his question. Baekhyun wink and made a ‘fighting’ gesture before focusing back at their teacher.

 

This little thing that he did always made Chae Ri giggles in her seat, didn’t even care about what the class offered anymore. Thankfully that the class had almost 100 students in it and it was in the large hall, so that their interaction is not so obvious. Sometimes they will secretly text each other in the class, especially when the teacher is too bored or they have become sleepy— well mostly Chae Ri. 

 

There is one time that Baekhyun keep complaining to her while she didn’t sit at her usual seat, because at that time she was late to the class and somebody has already taken that seat. That was the day that they were so far from each other. Because of the things that Baekhyun did, she will always having a problem to hide her smile and got noticed by her best friend. 

 

“Stop texting in class will you?” Rose nudged her arm. 

 

She rolls her eyes, “Nah babe, you text Chanyeol in class too”

 

“Yeah yeah but at least we didn’t stares into each other EVERY time unlike someone” She smirks getting back at her.

 

***

 

At first she thought that Baekhyun is a shy and introvert guy. But after being friend with him she noticed that he is a friendly guy who actually talks a lot. She was so shocked when she saw how he interact with Sehun, his elementary school friend. He were so immersed in their conversation till he actually forget that she was there with Sehun as well. Not only that, he love to help people too. As much as he likes to study, he always volunteer to be a tutor to help others who have a trouble in certain topic. 

 

Chae Ri as always struggle with calculus and she thought maybe she could use this as chance for a spend time with him. It was weekend when they set up to study together. She has bought few exercise books— a strategy to look cool in front of him but it is such waste of energy when she actually not really pay attention to his teaching, instead looking into his perfect face. 

 

“So when you integrate these two then you will get the answer” He finish his words. “Easy right?”

 

She sigh, “Yeah of course it will be easy pezzy for you, genius” 

 

“I’m not a genius Chae Ri. It just happened that I love calculus. I’m sure you have something you good at too. Then maybe you can be the one who teach me”

 

Byun Baekhyun is so humble that it only make her more amazed with him. He’s good in almost everything and she like his passion in studies. No wonder people been calling him nerd. But despite of having a good reputation as a top scorer, he never reject others opinion too. There was a time when he have a problem with history topic and coincidentally Chae Ri know to to solve it. 

 

She made so much effort just to help him. Even went to her teachers to gain some information. She might didn’t have this chance next time so she will do the best that she can do. Anything for him. It worth her efforts when he actually praise her when she got the right answer to the question. Being with the him has made Chae Ri determined to work harder and have a good result just like him. He has become her idol.

 

To: Baekhyun 

I’m going for a walk in the park. I’m wondering if you want...to join me?

 

To: Chae Ri

I’m sorry but I’m a bit tired today. Maybe next time?

 

To: Baekhyun 

Oh really? Nah— it’s okay. I will just going on my own. Have a good rest Baekhyun. 

 

She send the last text with a long sigh. She hope that he will join her but she knew that he must be tired will school stuffs. It is Spring and the cherry blossom tree was fully blooming around the school park. It will be such a waste for not enjoying it while it lasted. She decided to go alone instead. Walking down from her form block, she surprised when she saw him sitting on the bench nearby, waiting for her. 

 

“Baekhyun?” She couldn’t hide her excitement when she saw him. 

 

“There is no way that I will let you walk alone Chae Ri” He smiles and lead the way to the park. 

 

As much as the flowers blooming in the spring, it goes the same way as her heart. It’s been awhile since she felt like this. Like there is a butterfly in her stomach and she could feel the effect every time when she with him. Not to mention the moments that Chae Ri thought that her heart might be explode. All because of Byun Baekhyun.

 

They are getting closer but only as a friend. Chae Ri didn’t want to sacrifice her remaining senior year by devoted her time for Baekhyun only, so she thinks that it is better that they keep their relationship like this and she could enjoy her time with her friends. He didn’t know about her feelings yet— and she didn’t have plan to tell him sooner. 

 

Final examination is around the corner and their school has so many activities planned to for their studies schedule. Including the night class revision. They need to attend the class as it is considered as one of their major classes, but she didn’t mind that. As it will only let her have the same class with Baekhyun again. More classes, more time with him. 

 

Chae Ri was left alone after the lovebirds Chanyeol and Rose left for their date and Sehun suddenly went M.I.A. Their class has ended and she secretly cursed them out for leaving here to walk alone. What happened to the ‘best friend don’t leave each other’ thing? She swear that she will getting a revenge on them one day.

 

“Hey Chae Ri. Why are walking alone? Where’s the rest?” Baekhyun said from behind. She didn’t realize that he was actually walk with her along the journey from the class. 

 

“Ah them—“ She sigh. “Long story short, they left me. Jeez” 

 

“If you don’t mind, I can walk you back” He suggested.

 

“Yeah sure but can we stop by the cafe? I need to buy something”

 

The cafe was full with the students who just got back from the night class. It only 9.30pm and it still early for them. Some students have their supper and some of them just sitting around chit chat with their clique. It was so cozy that Chae Ri and her clique love to spend time together at this cafe. She spotted some of the boys from their class and decided to join them. 

 

It was Suho, Kai and Kyungsoo, they are also friend with Baekhyun. “Whats up boys!” She high five with them.

 

“Ey you two— enjoying night date huh?” Kai teased. 

 

“Shut up Kai. Now go buy me a bubble tea over there!”

 

They talked for a few minutes and had a good time among each other. Chae Ri noticed that when she talk to other boys, Baekhyun will glares at them. It’s weird since he actually close to them, especially Kai. She also noticed that he look uncomfortable with the fact that she’s the only girl in table while freely enjoying spending time with the boys. 

 

“If you are done— can we go back now?” He whispered into her and dragged her out from them.

 

They made their move back to their dorm complex after that. It was a breezy night walk with the bright moon and stars, with them two underneath. Baekhyun sent her into the girls dorm before heading back into his but she thought maybe they could just spend a little bit more time. 

 

“What is your plan after this Baekhyun?” 

 

“You mean after high school?” He asked. “Not sure yet about the major. How about you?” 

 

“Med school. My parents want me to be a doctor” She replied. “Hey, after graduation...do you think we will meet each other again?” 

 

He took awhile before answering her question. “Well, maybe. I don’t know but don’t worry I will keep in touch with you okay?”

 

“Really? I don’t believe you. Who knows you might forget me and only remember your girlfriend” She jokes. 

 

“I don’t have a girlfriend..I do have someone that I close back in my hometown in Busan, but we didn’t declare anything.” 

 

“Ah so you have some— someone” She stutters a bit. 

 

“But she’s not my girlfriend. For now I’m not ready for any relationship..I want to focus only in my studies” 

 

She sigh “Yeah— let’s just focus on our studies first”

 

***

 

The only thing that came into her mind after he told her the other night, is just to let him go and stop crushing on him. She wasn’t that stupid to not know that the ‘friend’ that he talked about must be someone special to him. But then, Sehun kept telling her that not to give up on him. She’s confused yet her cousin didn’t help that much. 

 

“Babe, it just a friend. Trust me I know him for years okay. Baekhyun won’t agree to spend his time and get closer with you unless he’s interested. He’s not someone who like to waste his time” Sehun reassures her. 

 

“But he also not someone who have a heart to reject a pathetic girl like me” She sigh.

 

Frustrated with this girl, Sehun keep motivate her. “Just ignore that alright? We are going to graduate soon so just enjoy the time crushing on him while you can okay?” 

 

Sehun words has motivate her not to give up and she did. She has forget everything that before and decided to keep crushing on him. Well— she might don’t have chance to meet him again after this and Sehun was right. She should enjoy her time as much as he can. Speaking about that, she suddenly feel so sad thinking about that she only left one weeks before high school ended.

 

She will miss everything about this school and the beautiful memories that she had. Despite of their strict rules where everyone were asked to getting a good results, this school also has made her met a lot of amazing people. Her clique, her batch mates, her teachers and of course, her crush the one and only Byun Baekhyun. 

 

She mostly spend the last week with her friends and hangout with her clique often. She didn’t know if they could be closer like this in future since they might get accepted into different college and get separated. Except for her cousin, Sehun, of course they will keep meet each other. 

 

To: Chae Ri

Hey...what are you doing right now?

 

To: Baekhyun 

Just having a bubble tea with my clique at the cafe. Come here if you are free :)

 

She was spending her time with her clique at the cafe as usual and was interrupted when she got a text message from Baekhyun. She didn’t mind to have him with them since he already know her clique but she never expect that he will come. Baekhyun, especially during this examination weeks, he mostly will spend his time doing his revision instead of wasting time like that. 

 

Chae Ri excuse herself to go to the school convenient store. It’s getting hotter and all she need is ice cream. She was staring at the ice cream container for almost 5 minutes, only to have a problem whether to choose chocolate or vanilla flavor. 

 

“I think you should pick vanilla” she startled with the voice beside her. 

 

“Baekhyun?” She almost lost her count on how many times this guy had surprised her by suddenly appear out of nowhere. 

 

They walk together strolling around the school park side by side, with him wearing a black stripes shirt that she bought for him. It was a gift from her for their farewell soon. She glad that Baekhyun like it and even wear it today.

 

“You already wear it?” She asked him.

 

He scratch the back of his neck, “Yeah, I want you to see it by yourself. I mean— this is better than sending a picture” 

 

Chae Ri told him that she would like to see him in that shirt, he just can sending her a picture later whenever he wear it. But seeing him wearing it now make her feel so touched. Like he actually appreciate it. Baekhyun didn’t give her anything, only to return her with a chocolate. Said that he feel so bad by not giving her anything but at the same time he didn’t have time to buy a present for her. Actually, it was more than enough for her. She didn’t need anything more as Baekhyun had done enough for her. She couldn’t ask for more.

 

“Sehun, I’m afraid that this will only give me a false hope. Maybe I should just stop all this crushing things” Chae Ri sigh. 

 

“I believe that he actually have a little things over you too. Look, he always come whenever you ask him for a walk, he even wear that shirt for you, and he didn’t mind at all when people start gossiping around about you two”

 

“What if he did that because he didn’t want me to feel bad? Like he didn’t want me to feel so pathetic?”

 

“He’s been walking you out to class, waiting you outside of the library, checking you out when you are with us, he keep texting and calling you even though you meet everyday. You are the only girl that he pay attention to”

 

Last week, they had a farewell dinner among their classmates. It probably the last event they gathered and they were exchanging letters too. Chae Ri was surprised when suddenly Baekhyun gave her a letter. She wrote one for her too but didn’t expect that he did the same thing. 

 

He wrote nothing fancy, just a courageous words for the upcoming final and few notes saying that they shouldn’t forget each other. But what makes it more special is when she is the only girl that received a letter from him. It reminds her a lot about the things that Sehun said to her. 

 

***

 

It is the high school graduation day and it also the last day for them. They took photos among themselves, keeping it as the best memories they ever had. She thankful to God for this few years with these people. Sehun her cousin that always be her protector, Rose her best roomates ever and Chanyeol who never failed to make her laugh. 

 

“Promise that we will keep in touch alright?” Sehun said. “Promise” The said in unison and have a group hug.

 

One by one leaving the dormitory, back to their home. Chanyeol and Rose has leaving right after the graduation event while Chae Ri and Sehun had to stay longer till their family pick up them. Baekhyun were still there too and he asked her to meet him for the last time before they were apart. 

 

“I’m going to miss you Chae Ri” He said. 

 

“Me too Baekhyun. Damn I already crying” Not long after that, Baekhyun pull her into his embrace.

 

“Promise me that you will take care of yourself. Please remember that I’m always here for you”

 

“Yeah I will” That is the only thing that she could say. Hell, she was so sad at the point that she might just beg the principal to let them stay for another year. It was too short for them and to be honest, she need more time with him because a part of her keep telling her that she will never meet him again after this.

 

“I want us to keep in touch with each other after this” 

 

“Me too. I hope you won’t forget about me Baekhyun”

 

“Don’t worry I won’t” Little did he know, he have made her believe with his promise. 

 

During their last meeting, Baekhyun wore the black stripe shirt and gave her a bouquet of flowers. It was so hurtful to be apart with him and she have been cried for one day straight. It wasn’t even a lie. She still remembered his scents when he hug her for the last time, when she inhale his scent when her face was pressed into his muscular chest, and the last goodbye that he bid. 

 

‘I miss you Byun Baekhyun’ She’s crying again.