1/3

ALMOST LOVER

Kwon Chae Ri is sociable and outgoing, but low key hates school. Her goal is to do well enough at school, get into a good college and her fears are failing in the examination and being punished by her parents. Obviously. Sometimes she feel like there is a robot inside her, controlling her with a mission; to keep her occupied with her studies only. 

 

Maybe she isn’t the only person who actually have that kind of mindset penetrated in her mind. In fact, it could be every students in this school. That is the truth when you enrolled yourself in this elite school, which are known as an academy for those who are good in their studies, to be exact - excellent. 

 

“Hey Chae Ri!” Random students in the hallway greets her, “Have a nice day!”

 

She always be someone who have their bright smile on her face all the time, a friendly girl that will just make your day better by only seeing her. She wasn’t that too pretty nor ugly - she just an average girl that everyone want to be friend with. That what makes her famous around the school, both to her batch mates and junior. Six months to go and soon she will graduate from high school. 

 

She walks to her next class but was interrupted by a voice trailing her up from behind. “Cherry! Cherry! Wait for me!”

 

“Boy, did you have so much fun calling me Cherry instead of Chae Ri?” She purposely emphasizes her name pronunciation, annoyed with her friend. 

 

“You know that you can’t be mad with your best friends right? We love you girl!” 

 

That was Sehun and Chanyeol, her best friends. There is another girl name Rose, who are already been in the class. Four of them are best friends and have been in clique since the first day they stepped their foots into this school. When they were together, they will be loudest group ever. They shared the same passion and dream, which are to be able graduate with flying colors and accepted into a good college. 

 

The class started and everyone pay their attention to the teacher, focusing on what he teach and try hard to absorb as much as they can through the teaching session. In this school with everyone have a good brain, you will definitely left out if you can’t catch up in the class. It is the senior year for them and this school has a system where the last semester they will be gather the whole batch and combine it into a big class. With almost hundred students in it, the competition are just getting wild. 

 

“Alright class, Byun Baekhyun will show you a right way to solve this algebra question. He’s definitely a good example for everyone” The teacher stated.

 

Slightly irritated with the special treatment he always got, Chae Ri whispers to her desk mate.

 

“Pssst...that guy, is he that good?” She pointed at him. 

 

Her desk mate, Rose nodded her head in agreement and replied her. “Of course! You are talking about Baekhyun, top scorer for our batch!”

 

“Ah really? No wonder he look like a nerd” 

 

It’s been almost two semester, or to be exact a year since they shared class with all students from her batch but she never able to memorize each of them. Of course she still recognizes some of them, because Chae Ri is an outgoing person and it makes people comfortable with her. But there are too many people in the class and she thinks that it is better just to keep her best friends cycle small, well less people less drama. 

 

They all lived in a dormitory. It was separated, the boys and the girls with Chae Ri in a room with Rose and the other two boys in the same room. One good thing about being in the boarding school is where you could spend all your times with your friends. You can go eat together, study together or even hang out together during weekend. That just make them become more inseparable. 

 

“Come on Rose, stop doing your revision and let’s just gossiping with us!” Sehun whined. 

 

“He’s right dear, you need some break too” Chanyeol said to his girlfriend. Oh yes, Rose and him are together since last year. Making the other two annoyed each time they show their sweetness in front of them. 

 

Chae Ri rolls her eyes, “Duh guys, no PDA please” 

 

“Kwon Chae Ri, I think you might need a boyfriend too. Look at you being all grumpy! Babes you need to feel love” Rose replied back to her. 

 

“Nah— no time. I’m busy with my studies. Plus, why should I need one when I have my amazing best friends around me?” 

 

Chanyeol shakes his head slightly, already knew that she will said that. “You just need someone that will tame you down girl. Like how about a quiet introvert guy? Or even a nerd? Chae Ri is just too mainstream”

 

“God! I have one! A friend from my elementary school. Babe he’s a good kid and nerd but damn he got look okay. You guys know Byun Baekhyun right?” Sehun excited as he told everyone.

 

“Alright enough is enough. It’s getting late and I think we should head back to our dorm. Come on Rose, say goodnight to your lovely yoda”

 

***

 

There are two types of boys in school, those who focus in their studies and those who always sleep as soon as the teacher start teaching. But one thing that these boys have in common is — no matter how good or bad their concentration in class, at the end during examination they will just do well. In fact, excellent. Why can’t just girls be the same just like them? They plays a lot yet they managed to score but when the girls did, they will end up downgrading their grades. 

 

Girls will have so many ways on how to study and do their revision including numerous study group but at the end, they can’t even beat the boys grades. It is frustrating as the girls actually have to managed a lot things including their mental and physical health. They have to look pretty but at the same time maintaining a good grades. God, Superman should be cancelled and girls should be replaced it as Superwoman instead. 

 

She frowned eyebrows slightly furrowed, looking down at her exercise book. “Damn what the hell that this question want? I super super hate calculus! Sehun help me!”

 

“Oh?” Sehun asked, his eyes still focus on his laptop. 

 

“Yah! You don’t even look at me!” She yelled a bit and smacked his arm. Making everyone in the library turned their heads to them. 

 

He brush his arm and stares at the girl with anger in his eyes, “Damn Cherry! I almost break a new record! And now my dinosaur had to jump over the cactus again!” 

 

The internet in the library was broke down for few hours and Sehun had no choice but to play the offline google little game on his laptop while waiting for his best friend to finish up her tutorials. Sehun is categorized into the second category of the boys in the school— those who will sleep during class and plays a lot but still scored. A true genius indeed. He then put aside his laptop and start to pay attention to the girl beside him, who seems having her a hard time.

 

He chuckled when he saw Chae Ri yawn continuously on the table. He always knew that she hates calculus, ever since she was kid. Sehun is her cousin, on her mother side. That’s why they have different surname. They are too close with each other and their family decided to enroll them in the same school. So that Sehun could play a brother to her and take care of her. But it’s seems like the other way round with he always creates a problem that need her to solve it for him. Well, except for calculus.

 

“Assa! Its finally done! Thanks to you my handsome but annoying cousin for helping me!“

 

“For your information babe, you are more annoying than me okay!” Sehun rolls his eyes.

 

She couldn’t be more thankful for having Sehun by her side all time. Even though he was so annoying but she needs to admit that he was very helpful. They are walking to the administration building to go to the teachers room to submit her task. He been telling her a that he used to throw his teacher papers in the dustbin just because he was pissed that his hair getting cut by the teacher. That one discipline teacher that every students hate.

 

“No wonder they called you troublemaker, you punk!” She laughed all the way to the building thinking how funny it would be. Meanwhile Sehun already calm down and focus back on his track, spotted someone that he familiar with from afar. He looks into Chae Ri and smirks. He just got an idea.

 

“Hey Baekhyun! Chae Ri said that you are handsome!” Sehun shouted. 

 

His cousin almost choked and all her incoming words was stuck in . She was surprised that he could say that in front of Baekhyun, the nerd boy, class president, top scorer, who she never come across to speaks with, or even be a friend. He was totally out of her league. 

 

Not in a bad way, she just thought that this boy was too nice for her. Like there is too many differences between them. A nerd and outgoing person? Duh! But not to be too dramatic, she decided to play along with Sehun teases. After all, this doesn’t even effect her in any way. She still keep her reputation as the ‘cool’ Kwon Chae Ri.

 

“—-hey yeah you are handsome boy!” She smiled.

 

On the other line, Baekhyun was shocked too. Slowly he smiles back to the girl. He found that she was cute startles like that. He always knew that his friend over here like to jokes around but not this time when he had to tease Chae Ri. He never talks to her and this is actually their first encounter after so many years being in the same school. As much as she thought it is a weird combo for them, he thought the same thing too. There is no way the famous Kwon Chae Ri want to talk to a nerd like him.

 

As soon as Baekhyun lost from her sight, she quickly flicked Sehun forehead. “What are you thinking that you are doing Oh Sehun?!” 

 

“What? I just let you to make a new friend Cherry” His laughs just got louder. 

 

“Trust me when I said I’m going to kill you one day because....yes I will!”

 

***

 

The clock strikes sharply at 7.45am when she woke up in the morning. Monday blues just got real— Kwon Chae Ri just realized that she already late for school. Her alarm wasn’t work this morning as she forgot to charge her phone yet it was run out of battery and the fact that her roomates wasn’t there to wake her up make it worst. She quickly left her bed and goes straight into bathroom. Late or what, there is no way that she will go to class without her looking presentable. She’s Chae Ri and she need to keep up with her good reputation. 

 

‘Damn damn I’m so late’ She cursed.

 

It wasn’t that far between the dorm and the class building, only to take three blocks to pass. But when you are late and the first period is the class of the most strict teacher is, everything seems impossible. She was running at her best till her last breath, that’s it. Her limit was exceeded and she just couldn’t run more or else she might be die before she even reach to the class. She was almost breathless and sweats start forming on her forehead. 

 

“Are you okay?” She was surprised when there is voice behind her. “Baekhyun? Don’t tell me that you are late too. Nah! Good student shouldn’t do that”

 

He seems confused with her sudden questions. “No I’m not. In fact I was a bit earlier today. And it was weird to see you coming at this hour”

 

“Oh holy moly freakin Kwon Chae Ri!” Looking at her watch, she gasped. 

 

“I’m such a stupid person I thought it was 7.45am when I woke up but it’s actually one hour earlier! Oh my god my eyes surely got some problem this morning! Ah no wonder I couldn’t hear my alarm! Damn and then my roomates wasn’t there lol now I’m going to get mad like hell did you know that I run out from the dorm like a crazy bizzy bij—-“

 

Baekhyun was laughing his out hearing her long explanation. “Wait— Baekhyun why did you laugh?” She asked. 

 

“You’re funny Chae Ri. And you just made my day!” He said. “Want to walk together to the class?” Little did he know, a smile already plastered on her face. 

 

‘Byun Baekhyun wasn’t that shy guy that everyone talking about. Hmm not bad’ She thought.