III - Black Rose

An Empire of Our Own

III - Black Rose 

Youngjae's plan had backfired. He was ordered by the government to declare war on the Empire with no excuse. He figured the prime minister became annoyed with Marquis Jung's statement so decided they'd battle. 

Without a clear plan in his head he ordered to begin preparing the fleets. He learnt his best battles were the ones unplanned and improvised; he liked to see through and decode the activity of the opponents. The only thing he did plan was the timing of battle. 

It was approaching the night and all the fleets were prepared for the attack next evening. He knew the Empire would catch wind of their preparations and prepare too. The admiral had left the base, jogging down the steps and unlocking his car. Shutting the door behind him, he sighed resting head back onto the restraint very briefly before a hand had tightly covered his mouth. He resisted for a while, the other clearly having the upperhand in strength before slipping into complete darkness.

*

"He didn't put up much of a fight, probably was more shocked and tried processing what was going on rather than actually fighting back" the younger male spoke, appearing perfectly calm.

"That is very much like him, his brain works too fast before it can translate into an action" the older crossed his arms, leaning back onto the wall. He flicked his hair to the side and had a steady glare on the male in front of him "So is he awake?" 

"The last time I had checked he seemed to be awakening" 

"We shouldn't waste time, the Marquis will sure to be swift about locating you. In fact it is a matter of time before he finds out" Jongup frowned looking at the ground. As much as he hated betraying the Marquis and best friend, this man had to be removed from the thoughts of Daehyun. He is the reason for their distance. The best way was for him to step down which is what they'll make him do. The enemy is lucky he convinced Himchan to spare him. 

The older male moved closer to the younger, the back of his hand tracing the free strand of hair that escaped the rest. "Jongup, don't worry yourself. You're only doing what is right" to Jongup's suprise, Himchan had pulled him into a hug. He always had a feeling Himchan had favoured him when after one of the annual celebration of galaxy new year, both Tatsu and the Kei planets were seated next to eachother, separating the Alliance and Empire. It was Jongup's first and Himchan had taken interest in speaking to him without the knowledge of Daehyun. They kept their secret friendship for a few years. It reminded Jongup he was selfish for wanting the Marquis only for himself when he hadn't had the same loyalty. 

They entered the room with hopes the situation didn't have to escalate. Youngjae sat on a chair with his hands tied behind his back, a nonchalant expression plastered over his face. From his concious state, he overheard some of their conversation. He was able to gather that the Empire or a person from the Empire is working with the Tatsu government. He had heard two names, Jongup who seems close to the Marquis and Himchan from Tatsu. What he could not understand was what they had abducted him for. He didnt think he was of any value. 

The older male had approached him first, the other remained in position.

"We have brought you here today to carry out a simple proposal which we hope you agree to" 

"Which is?" The admiral asked confused.

"To step down from your position" Jongup spoke up, proceeding from behind. "You'll remain here until you agree" 

"I'd like to know who you are before I agree to anything" Youngjae wouldn't give in that easy. They must have known that at the least.

"It isn't your position right now to make deals with us" Himchan who became easily annoyed had raised his voice causing Jongup glance over at him to calm down.

"We offer you one million" Jongup had told him. Youngjae now suprised, didn't know why him stepping down would equal to that sum of money. As far as he was concerned he wasn't the famous Marquis of the Empire; that would have made more sense. These men must be desperate. 

"I'm afraid I can't accept that offer. I have no plans to step down" the admiral told them honestly.

"Fine. We will return tomorrow with the same offer and we'll continue to return until you make the right decision"

They both turned away, Himchan scoffing at the impassive admiral. Youngjae shrugged his shoulders. There is no way he'll step down for no good reason. 

In the Empire, Daehyun notices Jongup leaving early in the evening. He tells him he won't be long and only has an errand to run. The Marquis had let him off despite all the other admirals and commanders preparing the fleets for the next attack. 

Once Jongup had left, Daehyun had begun feeling remorse for how he had treated him before. He knew their relationship had worsened and they only were becoming more and more distant. He blamed himself for it. If he hadn't come up with this idea or rose to a position above him rather than with him, maybe they would have lived normally. Or maybe if he hadn't occupied himself with the enemy so much he would have had time for his best friend... 

Daehyun shook those thoughts away. There was no use in finding faults in the past. It was better to fix what was broken and regain what was once lost. He called him immediately asking if he could speak with him after he returned.

"Ah...Jongup I wanted to know if we could talk. Where are you?" 

"Marquis I-"

"Don't call me that. Not now. Are you on your way?" he played with the hem of his uniform feeling slightly nervous

"I can't talk tonight. Maybe next time" a loud beeping sound followed. Jongup had ended the call. 

Daehyun slammed the phone into the table and stood up, storming to his windows. He tore the curtains apart revealing the night sky which poured mercilessly with rain. He roughly ran his hand through his hair fighting back the tears which glazed over his eyes. It was his fault. All his fault.

*
The Marquis' closest secretary Song had informed him Jongup had come in the early hours of the morning. He was gone for all the hours of the night without informing the Marquis which led him to become suspicious. Especially with the way he had hung up on him last night.

The Marquis instructed Song to follow his activities and let him know the outcome. He never believed he would have to monitor his own best friend out of suspicion. What ever happened to their trust?

What had made the Marquis even more suspicious was the quietness of the Alliance who was supposed to make an attack three hours ago. There was something going on which had managed to slip from the attention of the Marquis. It was now approaching midnight and there was no attack, no word from Song and a suspicious admiral. 

On planet Tatsu, Song had gotten involved in more than he had bargained for. He wasn't sure how he was going to react to Jongup getting into the car with Himchan, the prime minister of Tatsu who the Marquis doesn't have a particularly great relationship with. Yet it had impressed him. Secretly, Song didn't like the special treatment the Marquis had given Jongup. It wasn't fair he wasn't subject to the same treatment as the other admirals despite being a lower ranking admiral. It was good news that he was also betraying the Marquis and his so called best friend. Maybe he'll see through him. 

Song had followed them discreetly until the sleek car had come to a halt. They both exited the car and approached an unsuspecting building. Nothing of a business meeting sort. 

Once they had disappeared into the building, Song cursed to himself. He had to break in to be sure of what was happening. There wasn't any gates around this building so he was thankful there wasn't the hassle of jumping over things and risking a broken leg. When he felt the air was clear he walked towards the side of the building to check the back for entrances.

There was a small window at the back of the building which was opened. It was low and into the ground which meant it was connected to a basement. He could hear talking quite clearly through it. He bent low out of sight as he listened to the conversation.

"We meet again admiral Yoo" Jongup approached him. He poked his head making him look up. Jongup came closer to him and eyed him. "Hmm no wonder he likes you, you are handsome but scruffy, still" Youngjae squinted at him through his hair which was splayed messily over his forehead. Light from outside had shone directly onto his face which hindered his vision. 

"Himchan is not able to attend at the moment so I am coming to you to ask you once more. Will you accept the offer to step down from your position" 

"No" 

"I don't think you realise how easy we are making this for you. We could easily kill you and dust our hands from it but we have given you a choice" he paused "But that will only make matters worse and I'm not the type of man to murder. That's why I have Himchan with me" Jongup tried his best to remain calm but this certain man could not take this situation seriously. He could see it in his face; he looked as if he had the best sleep of his life here. 

"No, I'm sorry" he told him calmly.

"I'll see you again tomorrow. Maybe the hunger or thirst will make you accept" he spat.

Youngjae shook the hair out of his eyes. Come to think of it he was starting to feel hungry. 

Outside, admiral Song was in awe at the information he had acquired. He made it safely out and back into the car to inform the Marquis. Jongup with Himchan had abducted admiral Yoo to force him to step down. Was Jongup jealous of him? That was the first reason that sprung to him.

It was now around 4am and would take another few hours to reach the Empire. He put off waking the Marquis from his sleep and left him a message instead.

*

The Marquis who slept very lightly woke immediately to the message of Song. He felt relieved he was alive at least. He listened to the message he found himself feeling anxious about.

"Marquis, there is an unexpected situation on planet Tatsu where I followed admiral Moon to. He left with prime minister Kim Himchan which I tailed. They stopped at a building and from a window I overheard the oddest thing. Jongup teamed with Himchan in abducting admiral Yoo forcing him to step down for something he offered...perhaps money. From the way he spoke he seems to be keeping him there until he agrees" 

Just as he thought the situation could not get any worse he hears his best friend is involved in illegal activities behind his back that could damage the Empire. He hit his head onto his pillow sighing. What could cause him to want to abduct the opposition? Did he not like him that much?. Daehyun couldn't get angry anymore. What he needed was to get Jongup to stop this and talk about it all. At the mercy of this, Youngjae was being tortured. Did that make him worry? Admittedly it did. He had to return him to safety and avoid more feuds or this leaking out. For a moment his mind wondered how Jongup knew Himchan personally. Himchan and Daehyun weren't on great terms personally just because they were quite similar and clashed a lot. They were civil and only worked with one another when absolutely necessary. To Daehyun, he was quite arrogant. Daehyun let that thought go and decided it was best to speak through it all.

Once admiral Song hand returned he called for a private meeting with the highest ranking and his most trusted admirals. First he needed to rescue admiral Yoo and the rest was personal business. He called this operation 'Black Rose'. 

Daehyun's men had left to reach Tatsu by midnight where they'll return Youngjae to his own planet. The Marquis would be waiting for Jongup to return. 

By midnight, he got the message that Youngjae was safe to his relief. Just as his had put the phone down Jongup had knocked and entered.

"You wanted to talk Marquis?"

 

Image result for crown

------

A/N

Hi all, I know there isn't much daejae but I'm trying my hardest to fit some in there and keep at a good pace OTL 

Also I hope you're all okay with the style of this story- I wanna pack the story with other side problems as well as the unfolding of daejae 

Thank you my newest subscribers!!! I really appreciate it (my first actual published fic)

Feel free to comment also dear readers!

*warning story may be a bit long*