II - The Battle of Toto

An Empire of Our Own

II - The Battle of Toto

"But Marquis!, we have too much damage we must retreat" one of the fleet admirals had temporarily sheltered for safety "We've lost many of our men sir!" 

Daehyun had internally cursed at the talented opposition leader. He could not allow him to win over the Empire once more as it had already damaged his reputation. The newest and young admiral who had a careless front had managed to beat the Marquis Jung Daehyun in his first battle. Daehyun slammed his hand on the table trying to control the anger that boiled him. He promised Jongup he'd always remain calm and not allow his temper to get the best of him. He knew that would lead to his downfall. 

With each day Daehyun had found a new reason to hate this Yoo Youngjae of the Alliance. He hated that he had not gone through the struggle he had to reach his position and still managed to leave everyone in awe. He hated how careless he appeared in the face of war when Daehyun had made it his life. He hated how easy it was for him. He wanted to prove that he was better and the only way was through war. He couldn't allow the Alliance to win, especially with this admirals. 

The Marquis had messaged the fleet and told them they must continue. With the damage they maintained, they still had an advantage over the Alliance. They decided to attack from behind, and target the fleet engines whilst they use their other fleets as bait. With the other fleets agreeing to the plan, they had proceeded. 

Once the Alliance had noticed the damage and backfire to their own plan, Youngjae decided they must retreat and messaged the leading opposing fleet of their surrender to prevent any more deaths. 

Within hours the news had spread of the Empire seizing Toto. The Joko government was yet to hear of the fate of the exiles as the Empire had not announced anything further. Marquis Daehyun was immensely satisfied with the results as for him this was a confirmation of his skill and advantage over admiral Yoo. He sipped his wine slowly in the emptiness of his room. He tried to imagine what Youngjae had looked like. He found it odd that he didn't know what he had looked like yet he knew there wasn't really any chances unless he sent out a message or asked to meet him. He had heard a few things about Youngjae amongst the chatter of his men. They always scorned him saying he was careless, lazy and not fit to command wars yet he seemed to be so good at it. Youngjae was very mysterious to him; a man that plans his tactics at the very last minute but pulls off the most impressive techniques. Who was Youngjae? He could find out if he pleased but somehow he enjoyed the mystery.

A knock had filled the room followed by the opening of his room door. The only person allowed such entry was Moon Jongup, Daehyun's childhood best friend and closest comrade despite being in a lower rank than he was. He received special treatment by the Marquis which often led to the jealousy of other lower rank officers in the military who tried to please him. Between them it was only natural Daehyun had rose to his position as Marquis when carrying out their secret ambition. Naturally, Jongup wasn't a warlord like Daehyun and didn't have the special ability he held when it came to forming the blueprint of the battles. He admired him for it and knew if not him, Daehyun will make sure to see to the end of their ambition and finally overthrow the dynasty that controlled them. 

"Daehyun, how are you feeling?" Jongup sat beside him feeling relaxed in the elders presence 

"In a slight celebratory mood, the celebration being with a glass of wine in the solace of my room" he joked taking another sip.

"I'm glad you kept your cool Daehyun. Sometimes I worry about it" Jongup told him sincerely. If there was anything that could ruin Daehyun's focus it was his temper which could lead to him acting impulsively. If there was anything Jongup could help him with it was his anger. 

"I kept it together as much as I could. I remembered you and how you would lecture me about how it would lead to my downfall...I know" Daehyun stared at his empty glass. He was very grateful for having Jongup. He was truly the only person who could stop hithat could damage him and the Empire. He hated to even imagine what he'd do without him.

They sat in silence for a while. This became frequent ever since Jongup had witnessed the elder fly through the ranks to becoming the Marquis. As difficult as it was to admit, they had become distant. With the Marquis so occupied with his own thoughts Jongup had felt somewhat useless. He had promised even if it does end up that Daehyun becomes the Prince, he'll make sure he isn't a corrupt one as this will go against everything that had put their lives for. Daehyun's sanity was the most important to him; to keep the Daehyun he had always known.

Daehyun received a knock on the door causing Jongup to rise immediately. He ushered the person to come in knowing it was his closest secretary, a man who ranked higher than Jongup. 

"We have just received the news that there was the death of all 40 exiles on Toto, the Alliance has immediately suspected the Empire" he told him monotonously, secretly glancing at Jongup. 

"What? But who! This has been set up. I am sure this is the Alliance themselves" he paced up and down the room furious at the news. 

"Lee, I need you with Ryou and Hideki to trace the situation of the exiles it must be proven that we were not behind this" 

"Of course Marquis" he nodded and took his leave 

"I will crush this Alliance" he muttered to himself abruptly seeking solace in the vastness of his windows 

*

Youngjae had heard the announcement from the prime minister about the deaths of all their exiled civilians. At first he had found it hard to believe it was done by the Empire as this was not something they'd do, even with reason. However he was more concerned about the activities of the new prime minister. He had announced a new law which grants death to those who attempt to exile 'for their own safety' which Youngjae had caught as a hint. For the first time in the Alliance, a law which threatens civilians was passed. This was surely the beginning of a corrupt system. It had led Youngjae to think about rising to power himself but he new he'd be barred from the opportunity without thinking; the prime minister would make sure of it. 

In the Alliance, there was confusion; some commanders believed it to be the Empire and pushed for the declaration of a battle whilst others were simply unsure. A lot had happened in the past few hours which filled the atmosphere with uncertainty. Youngjae decided for the first time he'll directly send a message to Marquis Jung questioning him about the incident. He knew this was against government wishes but he needed to be sure before he made his move. 

"This is Yoo Youngjae the lead admiral of the Joko Alliance. Regarding the recent incident on planet Toto which was pinned on the Empire, I would like to ask you personally what was your involvement. The news had just arrived to us via the prime minister and I am sure you are aware of his message. I would like this message to reach only you. That is all." he ended the video message which was sent directly to Marquis Jung. 

Youngjae had waited patiently for a response slightly regretting sending messages to the opposition behind the government's back. Within 5 minutes he received a video message back. 

"Dear lead admiral Yoo Youngjae, as expected your wit exceeds that of the sheep on your planet. The Empire had no involvement in such activities, this was merely a plot set up by the likes of your government. In fact I have already send out a message for all regarding this. We the Empire will not react to false claims" 

Youngjae's suspicions were confirmed which meant he did not have to take action against them. Yet he knew that was what the majority of people were expecting, a war and for the Alliance to win. Instead, the leader had better and more risky ideas. He would take the step of exposing the government, even if it meant he had to team up with the opposition. 

On Kei, Daehyun had demanded for his privacy when he had personally received a message from the opposition titled 'From Lead Adm. Yoo Youngjae, for the Marquis ONLY' . He chuckled at the informality before realising this was from Yoo Youngjae. His opposition which has yet to lay his eyes on. The man he finds himself pondering over whenever he was alone. Secretly, he longed to see him and to hear his voice. He stared at the subject line before hesitantly clicking the play button. Before him came a man, slightly younger with dishevelled hair and tired eyes. He was slumped in his chair and spoke comfortably. The Marquis had stared at his appearance until the man had froze realising he hadn't caught a single word. He straightened himself and this time listened carefully. He couldn't allow himself to lose concentration when the opposition had willingly decided to speak with him. He had asked of his involvement meaning he had suspected the Empire may not have been involved. As always, he was impressed with his intelligence. 'A man like him would be perfect for the Empire' he found himself thinking. 

Without realising, Jongup had walked through the door staring at the screen which was paused on the oppositions face. Unlike the Marquis, Jongup had known what he looked like. He had found out ever since he noticed this small obsession his best friend had with him.  He walked closer to Daehyun, startling him at the noise of his footsteps. 

"Jongup when did yo-"

"A conversation with the opposition? I wonder what this could mean" he crossed his arms over his chest.

"This message was sent to me personally and did I not ask for my privacy?" he stood up, his height surpassing. 

"I believe it was good I walked in at this time, what would the rest of the admirals think? That man is a man we all despise he is laz-" 

"That is enough. This is nothing they need to know of. There was information that had to be exchanged which was for the best of this planet. We will leave it at that" he spoke firmly, reminding Jongup of his position. 

"Forgive me Marquis" he bowed and backed away.  He eventually left feeling rejected by his own best friend.

Image result for crown