Chapter 8

Roses And Passports [Changlix]

Felix slid the door to the balcony open and stepped outside before answering his phone.

"Hi, what's up?" he asked cheerfully.

"Something important actually..." Minho informed him.

"Huh? What happened?"

"I have some friends at the police station and I asked them to do some digging into Changbin's criminal history..."

"And... what's wrong?..."

"He's an orphan, Felix... his parents died in a suspicious house fire when he was a teenager... The police are sure it was Changbin's fault, but they didn't have enough evidence to arrest him." Minho explained. "Watch your back, Felix..." he suggested.

Felix felt like everything froze for a few second. He didn't know how to react to the news.

"Are you one hundred percent sure about that?"

"I don't see why the police would lie."

Felix paused again and tried to process the information. Everything pointed towards Changbin hiding something, but he refused to believe that.

"I don't believe it." he concluded. "Plus, even if it is real I'm sure he's changed."

"Are you serious?!" Minho asked frustrated. "Are you just going to ignore the fact that he could be a murderer of some sort?!"

"Weren't you the one who told me to give him a second chance?" Felix laughed.

"I didn't know his record was so serious..." Minho sighed. "Why do you even bother to stay with him anyway? Can't you see he's only hurting you?"

Felix clenched his teeth, trying not to insult Minho. He had to clear his mind before he spoke. He realized that Minho was right, but he didn't want to accept the fact that Changbin would lie to him again.

It had been a few days since Felix returned and Changbin was more than nice to him. He always brought Felix sweets and cupcakes and they would sit up late to watch movies together. 

"Who are you talking to?" Changbin questioned Felix as he entered the balcony.

Felix quickly ended the phone call and smiled awkwardly at Changbin.

 "Nobody!" he answered quickly.

"So you were talking to yourself?"

"N-No, no!" he stumbled over his words. "Minho called to tell me something..."

"Tell you what?" Changbin insisted.

"Changbin, where are your parents? I've never seen them before..." Felix changed the subject.

Changbin wasn't even slightly surprised by Felix's question. 

"They died in a fire a few years ago..." he explained, totally unbothered as he walked closer to Felix.

"Were you there when they died?"

"Yeah, but it didn't scar me for life or something like that. We weren't really close. My parents weren't good people..." he continued, stopping in front of Felix.

Changbin hugged Felix and burried his face in the crook of the blonde's neck. Felix hugged him back and decided that he'd made the right decision to stay with Changbin.

 "So what did Minho tell you?" Changbin insisted.

"He's just suspicious of you; he doesn't think we should spend time together anymore..."

"Can't he just mind his own business?!" Changbin complained, getting angry and releasing Felix.

"I guess he just feels like he needs to take care of me."

"He doesn't need to ruin our relationship to do that! Why is he such a jerk?"

"Don't call him that!" Felix protested.

"So now you're protecting him?" Changbin smirked. "I don't really like your friends, you know that?"

"Well I won't leave them just 'cause you're moody today." Felix fought back.

"It's either me or them." Changbin frowned.

"Changbin, you're going too far!"

"No, you have to make a decision!"

Taken aback, Felix looked down and tried to figure out who he should choose.

"I'll have to think about it..." he mumbled quietly, walking past Changbin and into the bathroom.

He looked at his reflection in the mirror and tilted his head. He looked down at his arm and stared at his tattoo. Maybe that's what Changbin was talking about several days ago: he had to grow up. He had to make decisions that would not only influence him, but everyone else around him, but making these decisions would be a responsibility that Felix wasn't ready to take yet.

He looked at himself again and wondered if what he was doing was right. He truly trusted Minho, but he also knew that Changbin wouldn't lie to him. He grabbed the edges of the sink and held them tight, trying to calm down.

"Damn it!" he shouted before punching the mirror with his fist.

He looked up again and gazed blankly at his reflection through the broken shards of glass and the blood running down the mirror. That was him; broken and hurt, bleeding slowly and painfully.

The door swung open and Changbin entered in a rush, checking on Felix.

"Holy crap, Felix..." he mumbled, staring at the blonde. "Why did you do that? You're bleeding... You could have hurt yourself even worse!" he scolded Felix, dragging him into the kitchen.

Changbin opened a counter and took out a first aid kit.

"Sit down!" he told Felix while taking out a pair of tweezers.

He soaked a cotton ball in alcohol and sat next to Felix. He gently grabbed his hand and started picking out the glass shards from Felix's flesh. The blonde whimpered and pulled his hand away, but Changbin held it in place firmly.

"I know it hurts..." he spoke softly. "I've smashed mirrors before..." 

Changbin continued to remove the small pieces of glass, patting the skin with the cotton ball to soak in the blood and disinfect the wounds. Felix sniffed quietly. Changbin looked up and noticed a single tear running down Felix's cheek. He leaned closer to the blonde and kissed his cheek, wiping the tear away.

"Don't cry... It will be alright..." he assured him.

Those word were comforting to Felix. He needed someone to tell him that. He replayed the word over and over in his head: 'It will be alright...' . Everything was going to be fine...

~~~

Felix the coffee machine. He unlocked his phone and texted Hyunjin, asking him when he'd be back. He was slightly worried about him since he'd been waking his dog for the past two hours. After minutes passed by and he didn't answer, he decided he should call. The phone rang a few times before going straight to voicemail.

Growing increasingly worried, he went into Changbin's room to wake him up. He sat on the bed and poked the brunette's cheek with his index finger, but received to response.

"Changbin?" he called out. "Changbinnie?"

"What?" Changbin groaned, pulling the blanket over his face.

"Hyunjin's been out for two hours and he won't answer my calls..."

"Did you wake me up yo tell me that?" Changbin yawned. "He told me he's seeing his girlfriend's today."

"Oh, alright..."

Changbin got up and walked into the bathroom to brush his teeth. He reached out to touch the dried up blood on the mirror, remembering what happened last night. He felt sorry for Felix. He'd been there before: lost and confused...

As he exited the bathroom he noticed Felix laying down in his bed, playing some games on his phone. He entered the kitchen and turned off the coffee machine before pouring himself a cup of coffee. He picked up the cup and took a sip, listening to the birds singing outside of his window. He smiled. He was more than happy to have Felix back. Changbin thought about how well everything was going. Felix returned, his business was going well... Heck, even his roommate made up with his girlfriend!

Suddenly, mixed with the birds' melody, he heard footsteps and whispers outside of his door. He placed his cup down and approached the door listening carefully to the voices.

"Wait for my signal..." a man affirmed.

Changbin raised an eyebrow. 

"Kick it open at three..." he continued.

Changbin froze. They've found him.

"One..."

He stepped back.

"Two..."

He wondered if he should wake Felix up, take his gun or run first.

"Three!"

In a matter if seconds, the door swung open with a loud bang and about a dozen officers entered his apartment, pointing guns at him. Two of the officers ran towards him, handcuffing his hands behind his back.

"Changbin?..." Felix called out, standing at the end of the hallway with a shocked expression.

Changbin had to think quickly.

"You!" he growled, trying to break free. "You called them didn't you?!"

Felix didn't understand what Changbin was talking about. He wasn't the one who called the cops.

"I should have killed you when I had the chance..." Changbin smirked, looking away from Felix.

Felix felt the tears rolling down his cheeks. He was right from the beginning: Changbin didn't care; he never did...

Two of the officers walked up to Felix and handcuffed him as well. Unlike Changbin, he didn't protest. He felt empty and broken, like life had just been drenched out of him.

Changbin was dragged out of the apparent first. He was struggling, held at gunpoint, cursing the cops holding him and threatening to kill them and their families. Felix didn't put up a fight. He knew he was innocent and the cops wouldn't be able to charge him for anything.

As they exited the apartment, Changbin was thrown in a police car while Felix was forced to enter another vehicle.

"I'm going to find you, bastard!" Changbin warned Felix as he was pushed into the car. "Just wait and see! You'll regret this!"

He probably said more hostie things, but Felix was to lost to hear them. Tears were running down his cheeks the whole ride to the police station. He couldn't pull himself together anymore. He felt abandoned, betrayed, but most importantly heartbroken. He'd never experience heartbreak before, but it was something he never wished to experience again. It felt like he couldn't breathe anymore. It felt like the whole world disappeared and the pain was the only thing left. It was physically devouring him...

"Hey, kid, get out!" one of the officers commanded, pulling Felix out of the car by his sleeve.

Snapping back to reality, Felix noticed that they were already staying in front of a police station. The cops pushed him inside. There were people staring at him everywhere. He would have felt uncomfortable, but he was too upset to think about others. He quietly followed the officers into an interrogation room, walking behind them like an obedient, lost puppy.

The room itself smelled like cleaning products. The walls were perfectly painted in the most boring shade of grey and the floor was made out of perfectly symmetrical plain white tiles. There were two chairs around a table in the middle. A small radio-like object was laying on the table, with a red light blinking rhythmically.

Felix was told to sit down and wait for a minute until the detective could interrogate him. He nodded and took a seat, clenching his fists and trying to stop himself from crying.

A short, but well-built man in his late twenties entered the room, holding a few papers in his hand. He was wearing dress pants and a blue button up shirt that had a pen sticking out of it's pocket. He sat in front of Felix and placed the papers on the table, writing something down.

"Detective Kim Minjun, July 14th 2018, interrogating suspect related to Seo Changbin after the later's arrest..." he mumbled closer to the microphone. "Could you give us your name?"

The detective turned towards Felix and noticed how disheveled he looked.

"Hey, are you alright?" he asked concerned. "Don't worry, nothing will happen to you..." the detective assured him. "Now can you tell me your name?"

"Lee Yoonbok." Felix mumbled, fidgeting in his seat.

"Are you from Seoul?" Mr. Kim continued.

"I'm from Australia."the blonde answered.

The detective looked up at Felix with a surprised expression. He complimented Felix on his Korean before proceeding to ask him more questions about himself.

"So, what is your relationship with Seo Changbin?"

Felix felt like he was about to cry again. He wasn't sure about his relationship with Changbin either. He opened his mouth to speak, but he was interrupted by somebody entering the interrogation room.

"Detective Kim, I can't find the files on Team Wang's drug corp-" he stopped once he noticed Felix.

"Nickhun, can't we solve this later?" the detective asked annoyed. "I have something important to do."

"B-But, sir, this is the blonde kid we've been searching for in the past few days; the one Seo Changbin kidnapped."

Mr. Kim looked at Felix in shock.

"Is that true?"

Felix nodded, knowing that it was a lie. He wasn't going to go to jail for Changbin. He had a music career up ahead.

The detective starting asking Felix questions about what happened, and the blonde came up with an elaborate story about how he came to Korea to visit a friend and ended up being kidnapped and held hostage for a few days.

"You poor thing..." the detective smiled, patting Felix's head. "That must have been a nightmare to go through... Don't worry; we will notify your parents to come and pick you up.  You can spend the night at the police station if you're scared."

Felix agreed, wanting his act to be as believable as possible. The officer that came escorted him into a waiting room and gave him a cup of tea.

Felix was slowly drinking his tea when the TV in the room suddenly caught his attention.

"A young man was found dead near a main street today. A woman walking to work stumbled over a dog which seemed to be in distress. It tried catching her attention and it attempted to lead her somewhere. She followed the small animal towards what looked like a bush. She noticed a phone laying on the pavement with the screen cracked. She bent over to pick it up and realized that hidden behind the bushes was the body of eighteen year old Hwang Hyunjin who lived in an office building nearby."

Felix felt like he was about to throw up. He placed his tea down and walked closer to the TV, falling to his knees.

"His throat was slashed open with a knife. The cut was unnaturally clean, which lead officers to believe that this wasn't the attacker's first victim. Officers are still investigating, but the probability of finding the culprit is getting increasingly low as police fail to find any evidence. More information about the case should be revealed soon."

Felix grabbed his hair, pulling it as hard as he could in frustration. He screamed and cursed, causing some officers to arrive at the scene. Felix knew Changbin was behind all of this. Changbin was the only one who knew when Hyunjin would usually go out to walk his dog and he also knew that Hyunjin always stayed on his phone so he wouldn't pay attention to what was going on around him. That confirmed Felix's doubts.

Changbin was actually a criminal... and he had blindly trusted him this whole time...

~~~