Beautiful star

Not all stars are up in the sky

The walk wasn't that long. After two minutes or so, the road leveled out and the dainty cafe was in sight. The sun was setting and Minami knew she should've been home, helping her mother to cook dinner. Orange and red waft through, warm hues gently inviting tired humans its warmth. It was wistful, Minami thought. Her heart trembled as the thought of Fujiwara senpai flooded into her. It could have been their evening cafe date, how romantic! Looking over her shoulder, Minami saw Misa senpai casually walking behind her, not too close but not that far away. Clear eyes, confident stride, porcelain skin, curvy lips, pointy nose; she realized Misa is very beautiful.

"What's up? Do I have something on my face?"

"Ah! nothing, let's go!"

That was embarrassing!

Misa walked past Minami and opened the cafe's door.

As they came in, a friendly middle aged man with rosey cheeks with a tray of croissant greeted them.

"Welcome back, Misa chan."

"Yo! Dad! May I borrow a table for me and my friend?" Misa lifted up her hand in acknowledgement. She didn't wait for a respond and started to put her bag on the nearest empty table. 

"Do you wanna sit here? Or do you prefer the table near the window?" Misa pointed to another empty table at the corner.

"Your dad is the owner? I really love the croissants here! And the cookies! And the shortcakes! I really like the milkshakes as well! I love sweet things but i cannot eat much because I don't want to get fat but i really love everything in this cafe! Tell your dad--"

"Anywhere is fine, then" Misa interjected. She was smiling again; leg crossed on her chair, inviting minami to sit down.

"I'm sorry, this is so embarrassing" Minami quipped.

Oh my God, I want to die. This is my favorite hang out place, and I just embarressed myself in front of the owner's daughter. Leave me alone to die--

"It's cute actually. I didn't think you're the chatty type."

"I'm not! It's just.. i don't know.." 

If Minami could get a penny for every time she got flustered around Misa senpai, she'll at least have three pennies by now. She hoped it won't rain pennies anytime soon.

Misa signaled Minami to wait as she made a bee-line to the kitchen.

Marveling her surroundings, Minami took in every detail of the cafe, she used to care about the food only, but everything seemed so different now.

Minami was actually not the type that hangs out. She began counting, starting with her fist closed. She stared at her index finger and middle finger, sighing as she remembered that she only had two friends. Asuka and Erika.

Asuka doesn't even want to hang out. She herself doesn't want to hang out. Erika? Ah yes, there's Erika. In fact, the many times Minami visited Pan De La Pan was with Erika. 

Minami couldn't really keep up with the conversations as it was mainly about Erika's piano lessons or rants about some senpai called Maiyan. She didn't even remember how it all started. But she liked the bread and the cookies there, so she stayed.

"Sorry for the wait!" Misa came back with a bunch of cakes and cookies and some bread. All were the kinds that Minami blurted out earlier.

Is she doing this on purpose? Why so many of them? Do I have to pay for all these?

"Now now, don't panic, Minami-chan. You're doing the faces again."

Face reddened, Minami closed her face with both hands. The flush seeps all the way to her ears and neck.

Kami sama please take me now!!

"You can choose whichever you want, it's on me."  Misa sat as she laid down the confectionaries.

"Come on, it's too late to be shy now" Misa coaxed the kouhai gently as she offered her croissant.

The warm hearty chatter and the smell of freshly baked bread were enveloping them but it all dimmed away as the senpai-kouhai talked about everything and nothing in particular. 

That evening Minami found out that most of the goods she liked in the cafe was actually Misa's creations. The night ended with Misa giving her a recipe of chocolate cookies for her to use to confess to Fujiwara senpai.

Minami was hessitant at first, the Valentine's day had passed after all. But Misa convinced her that Valentine is just a date, but her feelings were true despite what day it was and that it was better to confess to fujiwara rather than keeping it in.

The way back home was rather comforting. The night didn't feel cold and the dark didn't make minami afraid. It was all thanks to Misa's hug as they part ways. The senpai even patted her head a few times, telling her 'good luck'.

To think I used to think Misa senpai is a scary person. I was stupid.

Eventhough her confession was a total failure today, Minami's heart didn't feel as empty.

Minami came home to her angry mother.

 

---

Author note: tehe pero~