Nightmares

Limbo World

A void. I could feel myself floating in a space full of emptiness. My body was so light and free.

"Imm....."

My body did not feel floating anymore. Then, I woke up in a strange place. Under me was water, just water. About thirty feet above the water surface was not less than ten stones each of which, represented a floor, floating in the air. I was on the middle one. Above the one at the far end was a huge, damaged, ancient building.

Near another end was a plain, not land. It was much higher than the water surface but not as high as the stones. There was a big tree growing at the margin of the plain. It was possible to jump onto that tree from the nearest stone. The sky was bright, with a tint of yellow although the sun was nowhere to be found.

The stone on which I was shook a bit. I look down into the water and saw a shark's fin as large as a car. I did not dare to stay still on it. So, I decided to go to the plain. I jumped onto another stone. I landed safely. I jumped again and with no harm, I was on the other stone. To get to the tree, I had to jump three more times.

Just then, the old building at the opposite side blew up and a lion-like creature with the eye as large as an elephant appeared. That creature was tied at the neck with a chain. Holding the chain was a man with moustache, who seemed very familiar to me. The creature fought back, pulling the chain, wanting to be free. Once the man released the chain, the creature ran towards me, jumping onto the stones one by one.

I, on the other hand, jumped towards the trees without looking back. Before I noticed, I was on the ninth stone without getting hurt. One more stone and I'll be on the tree. I was trying to jump onto the last stone by the time the creature reached the stone on which I was. The sudden increase in weight on the stone made me lost my balance. I jumped anyway, making myself hanging onto the last stone.

I gathered all my strength and tried to get myself onto the stone. The creature on the other stone was glaring at me as if it is going to die if it didn't eat me. It was when the man with moustache came to the creature and pulled the chain. He then jumped down from the stone. But the creature endured, making him hang in the air.

Finally, I managed to get onto the stone. I was about to jump onto the tree when the creature sprang onto the last stone. I jumped, hoping for the best. Then, the man below shot the single eye of the creature with a kind of gun I had never seen before. The creature fell down, onto the last stone, making one end of the stone rise. That end hit me, who was about to fall onto the tree. As a result, I fell into the water instead.

I didn't know what happened to the man and the creature above. The only thing I knew was the shark's fin, getting closer and closer towards me. The plain was about twenty feet above. I didn't know what to do.

"This is the last time you see these things, Yoona."

I heard that voice again and again. The fin is  getting closer than ever.

"Arrrghh!!!!!!"

Yoona was screaming her lungs out in the bed.

"Arrgh!!!"

"Yoona! Wake up! Yoona!" A middle aged woman came into her room, worried.

Yoona stopped screaming. She was awake. She was drowned in her own sweat. She looked as if she just had a shower.

"Are you having nightmares again, Yoona?" The woman asked. The amount of worry in her voice showed how much she cared for Yoona.

"Yeah, aunty." Yoona said with a sigh.

"Didn't I tell you not to read comics before sleep?"

"I didn't, aunty. I really didn't. I don't know why I'm having nightmares, tho."

"It's only two in the morning. Sleep again. Here. Have some water." The woman handed Yoona a glass of water.


"I'm sorry. I disturbed your sleep again." Yoona apologized, taking a sip of water.

"It's okay. I'm fine. I can have a nap in the afternoon. You can't. So, sleep a bit more, now."

"Whew...."

Yoona didn't fall asleep right away. She spent her night sighing.

My name is Yoona. I don't know who my parents are. Instead, I grew up with my aunt. My aunt took great care of me. She treated me as her own child till now. I work as a teacher at a primary school in the New York City. I spent my days with the children happily and led a perfect life.

But about two months ago, I started to have nightmares. The nightmares were always about the man with moustache and fighting with the strange creatures.

I went to psychologists and told them about my condition. Nevertheless, there was no solution. My aunt said dreaming about the same man was pure coincidence. But how can it be a coincidence if I keep dreaming about the same man for two months? It didn't make sense. Besides, I had never once met him in the real world. Whenever I started thinking about it, I was left with a headache. The more I think, the more confused I became.

But that day, I came to find out who that man was, and why he came into my dreams. 

~~~~~~~~~

The chapters are short. I'll try my best for faster updates. Thank you all for reading.