a job; a visit

What youth is

The same old routine, but changes are beginning to gradually influence it. You're probably asking why am I talking to you out of context? My bad, despite how similar my everyday life was things are changing now. New people and acquaintances I was opening up to. Today I woke up earlier than usual to get myself ready. I went through my closet packed with clothes I never seemed to wear, from strong cargo pants to unserviceable baseball caps. After half an hour of scouting through my closet hunting for the perfect article of clothing, I found it. A decent pair of jeans, not ripped, and formal as well. I slipped them on with my signature shirt and walked over to my mirror. My hair was like some anime character, somewhat spiky and all over the place. I made an effort to use an old comb my Mom gave me if I were to ever change my ways. That was 4 years ago.

Ah, Mothers, they know their kids too well. I stare at myself in the mirror for a good 1 minute before realising Jaqueline had been right, I wasn't too bad if I tried to look approachable, But I quickly convinced myself not to take up too much change at a time. I combed my hair so that it didn't look dreadlocked or rampant but more collected. So It was my usual hairstyle but more neat and formal.

I changed myself because of a girl. Boy am I special. I stare at myself hard with my harshest criticisms stored in the back of my head ready to hurl at my representation, but I couldn't find anything. I didn't like it either, it wasn't me at all, but business is business. I open the door and step out where I see Jaqueline walking across the road in front of my apartment.

Normally I would miss her because I would have left by now. I quickly lock my key and hurry down the steps, feeling how stupid I look. She turns around to see me but instead focuses on my apartment.

"So that's where you live," She stared with surprise. I titled my head slightly to the right and tried to understand her.

"yeah, my parents pay for the apartment, I pay for my personal resources," I stated. I was honestly surprised I revealed this much about myself to a person I met a few days ago in person. But also depressed that she still hadn't noticed my new outfit for today.

"That's so cool, you're like an adult, except you're still a teenager," She complimented. I sighed and began towards the gate.

"So how is it like, livin' like that?" She asks curiously.

"Alright, do you like my new look?" I ask awkwardly steering away the conversation. She turns and gives a good hard look.

"What do you mean, you look like your normal self," Inside I was crying when I heard this, but change should happen in small amounts over time, so today was a good stepping stone.

"I combed my hair, and used a new type of jeans," I stated. She nodded her head in accordance.

"I see, but you do have terrible fashion sense if you think that will make a really good opinion on the other schools, but I think it will be alright." She consoled. I let out a sigh of relief.

Even though its winter, there are a few chilly winds which pass through my shirt like osmosis, and bite my skin like animals to the bone. Luckily in my bag I kept a scarf that Emma and her mum had knitted for me last Christmas. I recall, a few weeks Christmas she asked me what kind of scarves I liked. I said a dark one, maybe all black to be honest. So that same Christmas I receive a black scarf that most of Emma's mum had knitted for my help in the year.

I swing my bag around and rummage through the obscure contents of my bag, revealing a fully pieced unharmed apple, and of course the black scarf.

"Did you knit that?" Jaqueline asked observing it as I zipped my bag.

"No, a friend of mine did," I responded back.

"Is it a girl?" She asked. She must've been some detective to figure that out.

"Well, it's not like guys can knit well," I retorted. Jaqueline gave a soft giggle as she continued to observe the scarf.

"What's she like? And why is it black?" She asked simultaneously.

"It's black because I asked her to knit it like that, indirectly, she knew I like scarves, so she asked me what kind of scarf I liked. So I said a dark, maybe all black and that's what I got for Christmas," I took a short break before answering her former question.

'Well, what's she like? Trying to hide something?" She edged up to my face at an uncomfortable distance, as I edged back my head, as her blue sapphire eyes forced themselves into my heart.

"Uhhh, her name's Emma, and she's a... very nice, sympathetic, uhhh," I began to stumble, as Jaqueline kept on interrogating me.

"Oh come on, what's there to be shy about?" I lightly pushed her back and began to pace once more. "I don't know, I don't talk about her often," I looked down. What is this feeling? Why don't I want to tell Jaqueline about an honest friend?

"Really, is she well known?"

"Not at all, to be honest..." I replied back. "She's well paralysed from the chest down, so I go and meet her often, to cheer her up or keep her company, and help out around the house," I looked down. I sounded like some tragic hero. "Her father is like, an extremely busy guy, so her Mum has a lot of housework on her head, so once a week at least I go to visit them, I've been doing it for 7 years." The words seemed to depart slowly off my tongue as Jaqueline kept listening seriously now.

"Wow, who knew, you go out of your way so much for others," She smiled. "Hey after the meeting could I go meet her?"

"I'll have to ask her, I can't just force a new friend on her like that,"

"Okay, call her up then or her mother,"

"yeah sure, but later,"

I wrap the scarf around my throat lightly and cover my mouth with a thin layer of cotton. Why? I feel less vulnerable if my mouth is covered. I don't know why buts it's just instinctive. Soon enough I'm at school and the winds stop biting into my chest, the scarf didn't do much but it did protect my neck and mouth. I contain it as Jaqueline walks into class. I sigh as I sling my bag back on ready to walk into class.

Today was definitively boring in all the subject as nothing was challenging at all. I was sat next to Jaqueline in like 2 classes, so she kept bugging me about when I was going to call. She seemed awfully excited to meet Emma. I failed to tell if it would be the same vice versa.

The brunette whom Jaqueline told me her name was Nina turned out to be in her swimming team and athletics representatives team at a regional level. For a first year to make into the school's regional representative team was meant she was quite good, she had told me. She had also informed her strange infatuation with me. Not like as if she had crush on me or anything but always wanting to talk to me.

I was surprised on hearing this, but Jaqueline kept ruining it by adding in some romantic context that will ruin the moment.

"She told me to tell you to meet her after school tomorrow by the Gym," Jaqueline edged up exceptionally close to my face.

"hmm, kay," I replied unenthusiastically. I kept on walking. The meeting was taking place at their school which was a long arduous walk, consisting of steep uphill slopes. Jaqueline managed to beat me by a mile whilst I slowly lumbered up with legs pumped full of Carbon Dioxide.

The buildings were tall and complex which implied that we had crossed into the city. There were only two schools in the city, the one we were co-operating with and a rich snobby one that was an all-out battle of wits with our own. Crescent high was more of a sports school I would describe; they were very well known for smashing regional competitions with top notch athletes. They also had a few athletes competing at national levels. Our school was the closest to a competition for them so we arranged a meeting with the schools to coordinate our athletics day as one. Our schools were basically siblings in way, a lot of the students in relationships had boyfriends and girlfriends there, so it made sense that this was good idea Jaqueline reassured me.

Meanwhile Wedmon high, was an academically flourishing school, that liked to prove that very point. Whenever they came across our students that immediately start a debate on some absurd philosophical topic or a question on schematic knowledge (general knowledge). Everyone there acted spoilt, which pissed me off. Whenever someone activated an argument I seemed to be the only one who shot them down with 5 points or less. Everyone was left, vulnerable and confused. But speaking on that, I've only experienced that 2 times. I doubt I could take on everyone.

By the time I had reached the top we had a mile or so left to go. Jaqueline was at the top, elegantly sitting down sipping some ice cold smoothies she had brought on a bench. The square was empty which evoked a feeling of Kenospia. Normally It would be unarguably busy.

I grasped my thigh and pelted down my head to soak in as much oxygen as I can. The sun was floating at the end of the sky yet again so the heat didn't deter my recovery. The square was elegant with shops, all closed down after 5 o'clock. There were murals neatly painted by crescent and Wedmon high. A tall powerful figure stretched over the sky beside Jaqueline as I kept on huffing like a sore loser. My body was sweating like bullets and my pupils had dilated as I observed in the polished mirror like glass which I stood on.

The figure was endorsed with depressing darkness, but stood tall in the middle of the square amidst all the strange artworks. There were cherubs, angels, goddesses and a strange human uncannily resembling someone who I have seemed to know. I shuffled up to the statue and began to read through the memorial message.

We are human crafted to destroy imperfections

An aspiring quote from a talented artist. I admired the statue and the quote alike. In the closet of my fickle mind, I seemed to recollect 'the creation of Adam,". I flicked back to reality instantly. Artwork is one of my narrow list of weaknesses. Its complex meaning encapsulates my perspective and understanding of the world.

"Ready to go, I bought an extra if you like," Jaqueline offered.

I looked down at the eccentric colour of the beverage. It contained chocolate, and a lot of milk. It was cold too.

"Thanks," I presented my gratitude as I took it from her delicate and hardened hand.

I began to walk now again, easier this time. Following the walk, I ecstatically soaked up the contents of the beverage just as we entered the gates of the school. It was tall, but unintimidating. The stone walls were charismatically presented, revealing a well-established and empty building. The windows were polished and reflective of any individual that dares cross it.

I kept on walking alongside Jaqueline in this unfamiliar environment I shouldn't be in. A few girls were ambling along with heavy compact musical instruments in their hands. Most of them I found attractive, as they passed me by. I kept my gaze in front of me through. I'm such a teenager, my gonadotrophins invading my mind. I hate that.

Jaqueline seemed to discern the route quite fast, which seemed to somewhat be of a surprise for me.

"The, vice president, is practicing her dance routines, so we can go watch her, before the meeting starts in 10 minutes."

"Sure," As long as it didn't consist of obscene stripper like dancing. Otherwise I was completely against the ordeal. I amble behind Jaqueline as she led the route like the leader she is. After passing through many vertically intimidating buildings, we arrived at the dance halls, where a classical ballet song was playing. It is basically an elongated classroom, with a polished wooden stage and curtains, made to resemble a theatre. Backstage a patient ballet dancer elegantly waits her grand entrance. I recognise the song immediately, but haven't recollected the identification title. Jaqueline also sprints up onto the first row seats where the vice president's final dress rehearsal will take place. I my hands into my pockets, like the introvert I identify myself as, and slowly trudge towards the front seat. I was at the stairs when a hand grabbed my elbow and ed me on stage. My legs automatically merge with the stage and bend around in complex and flexible patterns. Jaqueline is bellowing with laughter in the front seat as she is entertained by my antics. Her smile is graceful and calming, in a way, it persuaded me to pursue dancing onstage.

The vice president, elegantly moved her body, gracefully as she perfectly calculated her moves. I attempted to pathetically look at her face, as she held on to me, throwing me across areas of the stage like a rag doll. Which defocused my vision for a brief moment, restricting my opportunity to spot her face. But the way she danced, it reminded me of someone. It was as if I had met her before. She grabbed me by the arm and twirled me around ecstatically and dropping me into her feminine arms. Her face stared into mine and I broke down mentally.

Paula Von Luggins. The other girl had a friendship with in my younger years, far before I became friends with Emma. Paula was the artist; I had fell in love with. The artist with paintings, with complex dance moves, graceful beauty, poetic language, and the intelligence to match mine. Her feminine arms had stayed slender and thin. Her touch was adamantly seductive. Her lips were thin and red. Her brown, chestnut hair was still wavy and bounced like it did. Her eyes stared into mine, but alas, she didn't recognize me.

Which was more than I bargained for. I don't seem to remember why but I did know that someone knew what had happened. Another girl used to play with us a lot. She was the privileged rich family acquainted to mine through several generations. Everything was coming back to me. Except for the one event that made me hurt her.

"Could you let me down?" I asked.

"Sure!" She smiled. She opened her beautiful arms, exposing me to the floor, violently, hurting my backside.

"Oi, don't hurt him! You a-hole" Jaqueline berates at her viciously. She didn't swear, swearing was uncommon in our schools, strangely enough, perhaps the privileged intellectuals like me, didn't find a need to swear. Despite that it still shocked me when she abbreviated the discourteous words.

"Sorry, He told me to let him down" Paula shrugs. Yep, her attitude has changed since whatever happened between us, I am certain, in fact I guarantee it. My personal history has made her hate men. It could only be that.

"You must be that athlete huh?" She asks in her sweet melodic voice. She could also sing like an angel. This woman had no talent she lacked. She was perfect. I am head over heels for her.

"Yeah indeed I am, girly girl," she compliments, at least I hope she does.

"Great, tomboy," She giggles cutely. Jaqueline laughs too. I smile awkwardly and turn around.

"ready... to go through... I mean uh to the meeting?" I ask, with my coexisting speech impediments. I was born a natural stutterer. I get stuck on words for a long time, but the habit sunk in.

"Sure," Paula agrees instantly. She's wearing athlete's gear, so she doesn't have to get changed I guess. She grabs the school blazer, since she is the 2nd to last year in high school like me. But her is compulsory till year 12. Our school had a uniform, but some people liked it so they made it compulsory for year 7-9 and the rest had it optional.

Here I am rambling about some uniform policy in schools, walking with 2 crushes, one unrequited love and the other being a mere admiration. My heart beats have paced to phenomenal records already and my hands are clammy and sweaty. My breathing goes a little funny too, so you know I'm nervous.

Whilst I'm walking behind the two vice presidents, I labour my long term memory to reminisce the shortcoming with Paula. The problem is this was when we were approximately 4-5 years old.

I do however reminisce a promise we had compromised at that age. After a few months or so of being friends, we made a promise about growing up together and all that romanticism crap, which I totally discredit to this day. The promise comprises of us staying together until we were old enough to get married. Corny huh? Exactly. Despite that, I wouldn't mind getting married to her. What wasn't she lacking as a woman? Or perhaps more like a pre-adult woman? I don't know, much about girls, I'll admit that much.

"Hey, so what's your name?" Paula turns around, as my mind is bombarded with our co-existent memories. My saliva concentration diminishes instantly and my muscles have their adrenaline out of them like some ancient curse. Jaqueline turns around and opens .

"You don't know the name of the school president?"

"I know who he was, but I didn't get around to finding out his name." Paula responds as she slips out a hairband from the side pockets of her polyester athlete's jersey. "So what is it?"

I'm lucky, Jaqueline respects personal information privacy or else my position would have been leaked and we would be off to a bad start. I don't want to suddenly bring up an 11-year-old scarring event like that, whatever had happened in it. Paula had distinct German lineage, and had relocated to Germany presently after that event. She possibly returned due to her father's commercial occupation. The manager of a complex business company. It would be a rather unpleasant thing to just, piss her off already. Besides, I need to start over with her. In fact, it's imperatively necessary to do so.

"You'll hear it at the meeting..." I answered. It was the best answer out of all the petrifying possibilities present. Paula has her hair tied up, perfectly in a nice ponytail.

"hmmm, sure then," She ignored uninterestingly. I let out a sigh of relief as she walked ahead of us, stretching her arms, as if she were preparing for some athletics event. Jaqueline came up next to, with a creased brow.

"What was all that about?" She enquires inquisitively.

"Huh?" I attempt to ignore her.

"You were like crazily, frickin' nervous out there!" She giggled quietly.

"shut up," I answer back.

"I bet you got the hots for her!" She gossips.

"No, just don't reveal my name," I warn her. She stops smiling and looks more serious.

"Huh, Why?"

"Cause' we got a bad past; well, she has, I did something to her a long time ago, that I can't remember, I tend to forget bad memories,"

"I see, hmmmm, we gotta cover you up then," She cups her hand around her chin and begins to contemplates different plans of a multitude of routes and possible paths. She appears highly intellectual when she is thinking hard. "AHA" She screams, jolting me.

"What?"

"We'll tell the rest of the council, that a previous bully from the other council, used to know you, and that you want to be kept a secret from him."

"who is the bully gonna be?"

"We'll say you didn't tell,"

"Will the other council bother?"

"Probably not, unless they call our school up, and ask for someone of a different name than your real one."

"Not bad, smartass" I compliment. I have unorthodox ways of complimenting people, I personally realise.

"Hehe," She giggles satisfyingly.

We continue to work forward after halting.

"So what's my new name?" I ask impatiently. I stare at Jaqueline for an answer until Paula back tacks and passes through the door. Right. Into. Us.

Oh crap.

"What new name thing?" She asks. "You guys, like won't reveal your name," She looks at me. "and I hear you talking about a new name,"

I gulp as she says this. Our positions are going to be leaked. Our tactic failed ultimately.

"There's an old, childhood bully of his, in your council, that he has not disclosed." Jaqueline answers instantly. At least she was intelligent unlike the real life stereotypes of her kind. My heart beat paced rapidly as I witnessed a direct interrogation in front of my eyes.

"Sure, then, I can respect that," Paula bites her lips for a split second before walking off opposite our direction.

"hehehehe," Jaqueline giggled as Paula left the room. "That was really funny, she's so dense!" She contorted her face as she struggled to control her rampant laughter. She masked her face with her hand before beginning to suppress her laughter more capably. "Man, Allan, you're full of surprises,"

"I know," I answer back uninterestingly.

"So you really can't remember or you don't want to remember?"

"I really can't recall the event at all. I'm gonna have to talk to someone who does,"

"Like who?"

"I'm contemplating..." There was something I had recognized in Nina. I felt like I had known her all along. She was probably the most likely candidate who knows of our pass, in fact I can guarantee she was the 3rd friend who used to play with us so often.

"I feel like I know Nina really well, maybe her?" I question Jaqueline as she walks beside me with a faint but mesmerizing smile. Let me be clear; just because I describe someone as attractive does not mean, I like them as any teenager is like. Simply put, the presence is admirable, like a painting as you could describe, but I'm guessing I'm talking nonsensically to you anyway.

"Sure, I'll ask her about Paula von Luggins" She smiled elegantly. "I'm betting on that hunch of yours"

"Thanks," I present my gratitude.

We enter into a well-polished room, resembling our council room in the perspective of the front entrance. The is a huge heavy oak table I the middle of the room with 20 or so oak polished chairs lined up orderly alongside it. The counterpart of our council stood up with respect and bowed. I wandered my eyes to Paula, who stood up reluctantly to greet me.

"Hello, fellow collaborators, I hope we shall co-operate well within our dynamics, and that this experimental project should reign as a success." A well-mannered boy equipped with the professional suit and tie. Complete butler material. This boy seemed to be the perfect butler. He had a pristine, and graceful charm to have, not as Paula did, but a noticeable amount. His hands moving with delicacy, and care. His accent on the other hand was also smooth and fluid, nectar to the ears. From my hunch, this boy was wise, smart, not so practical and athletic, but definitely respectful and empathic.

"Thanks, I'm...." Crap, caught up in trying to hide our act, I had forgotten to give myself an alias to go under.

"I'm Jaqueline!" Jaqueline eccentrically bounced up behind me diverging the attention from me. The rest of the council looked behind us in confused and weird expressions, whilst Noah and Nick just patiently smiled at her antics.

"I'm Noah," Noah bowed formally.

"I'm Francis," Francis pranced his fingers on his chest, whilst on a lollipop with a devilish grin, that captured a few girl's attentions.

"Yeah, I'm Chris," He looked down at the ground, depressingly. Hehe, nobody cares about him. Excuse my morbid humour.

"I'm Natalie!" She poked her head around from my back, waving her hand ecstatically. Carrying a stack of folders in her hand and a laptop encased in a bag. Josephine ambled up with hands in her pockets.

"I'm Josephine, he," She grinned at the butler. School president I mean. "Interesting guy," She muttered under her breath, and shuffled back.

"I'm June," A frail voice pulsated from behind our group. A short girl, clutching onto her folder like a shield showed up, shifting her gaze away from the common crowd.

"And I'm Hunterrrrrr" A voice screamed down from the hallway to the room. A tall boy sprinted up towards the doorway where the council stood, clutching some unhealthy soda drink. He adorned as graceful silky raven coloured hairstyle like a Greek god, with chocolate brown eyes. He wore a scarf all the time, from specific sources, which was unarguably true, as he stood before me.

He gave a cheerful smile before Nick slowly ushered in. Or at least I hypothesized it was Nick. The Scientist, the man crazy about labs and chemical reactions etc. His head faced the floor, while greyish-brunette hair shielded his forehead. His arm was encased in a vandalised cast, supported by a sling. He ambled slowly, stumbling halfway before regaining his balance.

"Hey guys, are we introducing yet?"

"Yep!" Hunter answered.

"Oh! Well, I'm Nick" He introduced himself depressingly. Not much different from my habitual attitude of everything in life.

"I'm Leon, Leon Degraza" I elegantly pronounced. I observed noticeable laughter from Jaqueline behind me as she attempted to effectively conceal her laughter. I'm terrible with names.

"Huh? I though the national prodigy got to be the head or something?" The president replied. I gulped wit fear, did he know the name? "My girlfriend was telling me about it, it's a shame." He smiled at me. "Don't know is' name; would've been nice to meet one of the smartest students in the nation." He looked up at the ceiling for a brief moment.

"Yeah, he turned it down, but nominated me instead, so I chose to be school president" I covered up furtively.

"That's nice, he must respect you a lot, so you should be reliable!" he answered back. Me and my big mouth. If there was a living embodiment of my mouth, I would have been charged for assault.

"yeah, he's like one of the few guys who can square up to Allan!" Chris interjected. I guarantee he wants to ruin my life.

"Really? That's wonderful; having someone as smart as him!" He sat down and rearranged papers on his desk. "We'll go with our ideas first, for half an hour and conclude the meeting and tomorrow you guys think about it and roll in yours and we'll collaborate!" He started up the blinking, decrepit projector, a 2006 model, that must have been abandoned for a few years in some dusty storage room. He wired up a few cables as we took our allocated seats, with our nameplates attached temporarily, which only exposed our positions in the council, not our names.

The presentation started up fluidly and the president began his speech. He was an excellent speaker too. He had confidence. Clarity, perfect pacing, and strong valid logical points, about venue, food stalls, fundraising, activities and competition factors. I was mesmerized by his ability to be so organized with a big event like this. Half an hour flew like the wind and the meeting was concluded. Noah grinned happily, and pushed in his chair shaking hands with everyone in the rooms, leaving the girls awestruck.

"You goin' to Emma's house today?" Jaqueline asked me tugging on my shirt like a 5-year-old.

"Yeah, I'm paying a visit, I don't have homework,"

"I'm coming also." She seemed adamant and because I knew it was useless to argue with an obstinate woman, I merely let her come along. What harm could be done?

We walked outside the room, after shaking hands, with some nice people, but one sweaty ert who kept staring at Jaqueline's cleavage, while using two hands to shake one hand she had extended; which completely unnerved me. It gave me shivers. I refused to shake hands with him, he wasn't taken aback at all. What was unanticipated being that Jaqueline was completely calm and collected after making contact with him. She was smiling graciously with the elegant smile I revered when she did it too.

"Ready, to go?" I ask impatiently. I quickly grabbed her wrist and stormed out the room.

"Hey, what happened?" She asked, stumbling lightly.

"Didn't you notice the ert who staring at your s?"

"hahaha, I spot a jealous Allan here..." She tittered.

"erts like him could be dangerous," I warned her.

"hey, what did I learn Martial arts for?" I decelerated and began to take a break just for some mental reboot.

"yeah, I guess you're right..." I respond tentatively.

"So where's her house?"

"A few blocks away from my flat," We began to saunter relaxingly as I lead her to Emma's household. As we tread for few minutes, she begins to titter again.

"What are you laughing about?" I question.

"Leon Degraza!" She slaps me lightly as she conceals to laugh. "Man, you absolute crap at names," I sigh irritatingly and keep on walking marginally ahead. "Hey, sorry!" She apologizes with puppy dog eyes I couldn't resist.

"Fine," I reluctantly forgive. "So why do you want to meet Emma so badly?"

'I don't know myself, I just thought to pay a visit and make her happy,"

"That's thoughtful of you," I compliment. She smiles, elegantly in response to my kind words.

"so you and Paula, did you ever have feeling for her?" She inquires. I gulp instinctively instantaneously hearing this. To be or not to be honest?

"I don't know myself," Let's go with semi honest.

"She looks like the kind of girl you would do anything for..."

"Really, am I that kind of person? To be honest, I respect you way more than Paula," I compliment. Jaqueline shifts her gaze awkwardly, after processing the words I had recited to her.

"Really?" Her voice soft and frail.

"Yeah," I answered cautiously. I failed to comprehend if I had affronted her in any form or aspect.

"I..." She broke off for a moment. "I see" He sapphire blue eyes darting off to the grassy fields, adjacent to the urbanizing road slowly eating away the natural scenery.

"Did I do something?" I ask, cutting to the chase.

"I don't know; it just feels weird coming from you..." Her face expressionless in thought. She wasn't dejected, she was just comprehending what I meant. For a moment there I was apprehensive of someone's feelings.

She was standing motionless, but gazing at the verdant turfs out in the countryside.

"Hey, what now?" I impatiently ask.

"So you like me?" She asks out of the blue.

"Ahhhhh," I clutch my shirt with a strong grip and halt in my tracks. Why that question of all questions? I hate lying, but this is something I'm adamant as refusing either way.

Her face is glowing with optimism as she awaits my answer. Her long curly blonde hair, like the humanized version of Aphrodite. Her piercing blue eyes, moving fluidly like the waves by the sea side. Her thin, pink lips parted elegantly. Her athletic body and charming demeanour. She was perfect in a way, but I hate romanticism. If I admit it, we won't fall in love. We won't get married, and live together happily ever after. We won't decide to have kids, that will be raised perfectly. Yet I made up my mind, based on the contradicting arguments provided by my logical side, and my expressional side.

"I don't want to say," I answer. I swivel around on my heel and amble towards. My consciousness was convincing me to admit, my infatuation. Yet my logical reasoning warned me, that it would be used against me as simple gossip material.

"Oh please, I need to know!" She tugs my shirt. I smirk and keep on walking ahead shamelessly. Jaqueline groans and crosses her arms firmly.

We entered into the suburbs past my apartment. Filled with a multitude of manmade legacies, from roads, traffic lights with no traffic, tall concrete walls fencing houses etc. I perceived this at least once a week, the elegance in the revolution against mother nature. The town was expanding drastically, year by year, as families grew and people moved to over here a mix of rural and urban sides of households. I turn around to see if Jaqueline was still looking at the grassy fields. It's amusing walking backwards, don't judge me; even though she was right beside me.

"Hey, come on, you gotta talk to me, we're almost there at her house, it's just two more blocks." I persuade her to no avail.

"No, answer the freaking question," She kept her face away from mine. Her stubbornness was annoying, but I had to be empathic, I can't satisfy her curiosity. It would be anarchy if I did.

"sorry, no can do,"

"Haaaaa, Fine, I'll let you off just this once, but you have to answer by one week, or else face my wrath..." She seriously threatened me.

"sure," I answer weakly. We arrive at the entrance; it was a Friday so Emma's mother was to be home. I knock on the door patiently before Emma's Mum unlocks it. She gives me a warm smile before noticing Jaqueline who was smiling ecstatically at her.

"Hello, I'm Jaqueline," She extends her hand. Emma's mum looks at her for a moment bewilderingly, before accepting her handshake.

"Come on in guys,"

I walk through he hall, discerning the route, into her room, where Emma was watching an anime I had told her about the last time I met her two days ago.

"Hey Allan," She waves at me, with her cute smile. I step into the room, revealing Jaqueline behind me. She looks at her for a moment before, waving slowly at her.

"Hey Emma, I'm Jaqueline." She familiarizes herself. Emma gives a hospitable smile as she did to me when I first met her. "Wow, you're pretty," Jaqueline accolades her.

"Oh, thanks, you are also very pretty," She compliments in response. "I like your eyes and your hair,"

"Thanks, Allan told me a lot about you," Jaqueline ignites the conversation. I sit there in the chair; invested in boredom, as the two hit it off, quite fast, the conversation revolving around me.

"So are you like his girlfriend?" Emma asks. She had this happy smile on her face when she asked the question. I stare up at Jaqueline who grins cunningly. She bends down from the chair and whispers into her ear. I didn't bother eavesdropping on their little secret, despite how curious I was to expose what she told Emma.

"I see, that's interesting,"

"What did she tell you?" I ask hopelessly.

"Well, I can't tell people's secrets can I?"

"whatever," I grin. "I'm gonna go prepare some Dinner, Okay?"

"Sure, Jaqueline and I will talk!" She grins mischievously. I had never recalled her being so contented in a visit before. I guess Jaqueline is interesting. I leave the room as the conversation reignites once again. I amble through the hallway into the kitchen, where her mum is gathering ingredients to cook something.

"Hey Allan, so is she a friend of yours?" She probes.

"Yeah,"

"She's gorgeous, you know?"

"I know that," I contradict. "Should I use the lawnmower to cut the grass this weekend?" Is steer away the topic.

"Sure, that will be a great help. But you know, a girl like her, from my perspective someone who's married and very experienced; that girl is very good wife material you know? She looks like she's ready to give a hand, she surprised me at first but I think you should definitely do something, before someone else takes her!" She rambles. Mothers they know everything. I didn't doubt any comment she made on Jaqueline, they were all true and accurate.

"Isn't she the same girl, who did volunteer work in the gardens and handed out vegetables to everyone once they were all harvested?" She interjects. I shut my eyes and work towards recalling such a memory but to no avail. She probably didn't sell them in my area. "You can't find perfect girls like them these days huh?" She asks.

"Definitely. All the girls nowadays are getting undressed with guys, somewhere in a carpark."

"Shouldn't be talking like that with an adult," She interjects as she picks up a pot burnt as if it had been to hell and back.

"Sorry,"

"hey, but don't keep such a narrow mind or a stereotype, not all girls like to get undressed all the time, it's just a stereotype..." She debates. She places the pot on the stove and ignites the flames still wishing to carry on the conversation.

"I guess so, but not many meet my standards,"

"Maybe they're too high? You are a Sagittarius after all, it's why you're single,"

"My standards are high; because I don't like people I can't get along with."

"Well no, one does." She places some diced potatoes into the pot. "You're gonna have to be tolerant, a perfect partner is impossible,"

"I know," I begin to dice the half onion I was bestowed with. "Besides, smart people tend to have less friends, and don't fall in love easily either,"

"What's the use of being smart, if you can't be happy?" She throws in some frozen ingredients which sizzle with the boiling oil at the bottom.

"Love doesn't make everyone happy," I slice the onion cautiously.

"I know, but being the best from an intellectual standpoint, is it worth it, sacrificing a potential family? Friends?" She stirs the food like a potion.

"I don't know; I haven't reached the stage personally."

"Well, I hope you will be happy either way," She diverts her full attention to the cooking now, as I finish dicing up all the onions.

"Are these going in there?"

"Yeah, pass em' over" I supply the onions into her hand where she drops them into the pot with clanking noises accompanied. "How's your dad?"

"I don't know, Jennifer hasn't informed me on him,"

"Is she good?"

"Yeah, she's fine, she's entering high school next year, so I have to hand down my notes,"

"Must be lucky having a brother like you for a genius,"

"Maybe..." I look up. "Or maybe she gets frustrated that she's in my shadow all the time, but she is smart, no doubt she'll get really good marks" I slide my hand into my pockets. "I don't want to make her feel worthless, so I just stay away from her friends and stuff..." I shrug, just to evade sounding disheartening.

"Yeah, I know, some people like to make a name for themselves, you know?"

"But she still visits me, she's still too young to envy me yet,"

"That's lucky,"

"yep," I smirk.

"Has your Mum contacted you?" She inquires.

"It's been a month or so, she says she's settled in quite well,"

"That's nice to know, tell her I miss her, when you call her, right?"

"Sure, I shall," Just as our conversation was gradually approaching an end Jaqueline walks into the kitchen.

"Need any help? Allan Emma's calling you," She chimes in.

"Thanks, could you get me some flour over there in the cupboard?" I walk out of the kitchen into the dimly lit hallway leading to Emma's room. I enter into her room where she is smiling cheerfully than ever before.

"Hey Allan, thanks for introducing her to me, she's really nice." She praises me. I smile and look down at the intricately patterned rug I am standing on.

"Sure, I couldn't argue with her when I told her about you,"

"Haha, thanks, you guys wanna have dinner? Before you leave?

"I thought your dad was coming?" I reply.

"Yeah, but I'm sure he won't mind,"

"It's alright, we got lunch from a council meeting at school," Which was ambrosial by the way.

"That's nice, okay then see you guys later!" She smiled cutely. I raise my hand weakly and smile back in defeat before leaving the room. I enter the kitchen again, where Jaqueline is talking with Emma's mum, probably like I was. In fact, I guarantee you, she was matchmaking us together. Saying flattering things about me, to convince us to be together.

"Hey, Jaqueline, it's kind of late, you wanna go?"

"ummm, yeah..."

"Oh, okay, get home safe, there's weird people after sunset on the streets!" She wiped down on the counter with a rag.

"sure," I opened the door for Jaqueline, who practically leap outside. So much for being polite.

"See you later!" Jaqueline waved hysterically. I sigh and follow her outside where the sun is sitting on the horizon, a nautical sunset. The second stage in a sunset.

"See you later too!" I wave, as she stood at the door smiling at us.