Chapter 05

Toujours Te Trouver
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica POV

 

The village we’ve been heading come into view around evening time. From the information I’ve gathered from Yuri, this particular village is pretty much isolated from the outside world and it’s unsafe for a woman to walk alone on the street, especially during night time due to network of underground crime. Follow what I say and stay close to me. She firmly instructs.

 

But you’ll meet your “woman friend”, Yuri. I quietly retort. Giving her an unhappy frown but doesn’t argue. I simply fall in behind her as we keep walking.

 

The late afternoon appears as twilight creates a glowing landscape dominated by the great hilly mountains. We walk past the rice paddy fields that lead us into the town with groups of cows and goats occasionally roam around the open road. There’s an old man walking down the street and Yuri stops him, most probably asking for a direction. Soon, they begin conversing with each other and the old man turns around, pointing behind him. She says xiexie, or thank you in Chinese, the only word that I can only understand.

 

“We’re nearly there,” Yuri says, leading me to the direction the old guy pointed.

 

I glance around my surrounding, finding this village is pretty quaint; little wooden houses standing adjacent to the neighbour and some have balconies with lanterns hanging down the roof. However, it is obvious this town also suffers from a human damage; cracked walls are everywhere and some doors have got their locks broken. Groups of men are seen gathering around at the front of shop, smoking cigarettes. But as we walk by, they eye us suspiciously, muttering to each other in soft words. I gulp, drawing myself closer to Yuri, who immediately holds my hand in hers.

 

“Don’t mind them,” She whispers in my ear, her hand still firmly clutches me and her words instantly make me feel relief.

 

We pass through few blocks of houses before we arrive at our designated place; It is a two-story, wooden-build building that looks decent in comparison to the surrounding neighbours and I spot the name, “Ginger Zero Restaurant”, written in English on the signage. As we walk toward it, Yuri’s expression turns grim as the people who pass us by still giving us a strange look and I have to scoot even closer to Yuri to tighten our intertwined hands. The whole atmosphere, the scrutinized look. Something is obviously off in this village.

 

I release a deep breath as we push through the door. All the tables are set but only few of the tables are occupied and there’s no waitress around. When we enter, all eyes are on us, and I can’t feel even more nervous as they study us for a moment before they go back to their conversations. A door near the counter opens, revealing a short woman with long brown hair wearing a long-sleeves t-shirt and skirt.

 

The woman spots us with her eyes squinting for a moment before her face breaks into a small smile. “Kwon Yuri.” She dashes towards Yuri, whom I notice also wearing her signature grin on her face and gives her a big hug.

 

I guess, she’s the girl that Yuri mentioned before. Or ex-girl because they seemed really close. A bolt of jealousy surges through me as I see the short woman still can’t keep her hands away from Yuri. I know I have yetno right to feel this way, but no. . . not when it comes to Yuri. I feel I have the rightto feel jealous to anyone who tries to get closer to her.

 

And surely I have the right, because I’m herwife. And she’s mine. Even though everything is purely an act.

 

The short woman suddenly stops her laugh and takes one step to stand right in front of me. Her eyes glance between hers and Yuri’s and then back at me. “Don’t tell me that both of you are. . . .” She doesn’t finish her sentence as her eyes darted towards Yuri again, asking for the answer.

 

“Married.” Yuri raises her voice, her hand draping over my shoulder, pulling me closer to hers.”She’s married to me.”

 

The short woman stares at us for a moment before breaking into a small smile, a look of surprise still visible on her face.”Well, well. . .” She looks at me, her chin.”This is indeed a surprise. Kwon Yuri has a wife. I think this will take me years to get used to that news.” She laughs again, looking up at me.”And your name is. . .”

 

“Jessica Ju— Kwon. Jessica Kwon.” Heat rushes my cheek when I said the last word. I can’t even look at Yuri due to the embarrassment.

 

The short woman watches me for a beat and then grins again.”Kim Taeyeon. Yuri’s ex.”

 

“Ex?” I ask, giving Taeyeon a surprised look.

 

“Ex-work mate.” Taeyeon laughs again, giving an annoyed-looking Yuri a small raise of her brows before looking back at me again.”Go and take a seat. I’ll get Taehyung to bring us some foods.”

 

Taeyeon gestures to an empty table by a large window before calling out a name towards the open back door about bringing out foods. I can only hear a masculine voice, replying “ne”. We follow her, all taking a seat.

 

“So” Taeyeon says, falling her arms on the table and leans forward.” What brought you here, Kwons?” Her eyes shooting back and forth between the two of us.

 

I can see Yuri’s facial expression tensed. She stares at Taeyeon for few seconds and then slowly eyes back and forth between me, the patrons and then to Taeyeon again.”How about I’ve asked you that question, Taeyeon. Why did you settle here? What’s going on in this village?”

Taeyeon blows out a huge breath, her expression suddenly turns grim and sour. She glances between me and Yuri before starts speaking.”You know the reason why I decided to settle here, Yul. Far from Seoul, Busan or Beijing. Far from my past duties, far from guns and death threats to me and my brother. I didn’t want anymore deaths in my family. That’s why I moved here, this small, remote village in the first place. I want a peaceful life.” She takes another huge breath and looks at Yuri,”This village was indeed peaceful when I first moved in, not until few months ago when strange things started to change. . . in a bad way.” She leans forward, her words are almost like a whisper.”Yuri. . . the underground mafia from Wuyuan has made their way here. They start to terrorize this town with threats and violence. And all of the people here are fear their life is in danger, especially women and children, because they’re easy targets.”

 

“H-have this people tried to call police? Or get armies to protect this village?” I ask, shivers coursing through my veins.

 

“We can’t rely on police to deal with those gangs. Armies won’t waste their time shadow-fighting those criminals.” Taeyeon shakes her head.”And I can’t deal with them alone, especially when Taehyung is with me. I need a working partner to handle those ty people.” Her gaze shot to Yuri.

 

I can feel Yuri’s muscle tensed.” We’re better prepared.”

 

“What are you talking about, Yuri?” Taeyeon asks, her voice is serious.

 

“Those criminals passed right by us earlier. They planned to send some men to a village nearby, which I’m afraid it’s going to be this town.” Yuri makes a harsh, angry sound deep in .

 

“.” Taeyeon swears.

 

“I wished I could’ve done something before. , it might be too late now.”

 

“Hang on, don’t do something impulsive, Yul. Those man are armed with guns. It would be a plain stupid if you confronted them straight away.” Taeyeon’s eyes on me, then to Yuri again.”Plus, you’ve got another responsibility.”

 

I can feel a hot blush blooming on my cheeks as Taeyeon said the last sentences. I slowly turn my gaze back at Yuri again, her nostril is still flaring with anger.”Yeah, you’re right.” Yuri says, blowing a moist, hard breath.

 

As we converse, Taehyung comes out carrying three cups of coffee and a bowl of steamed Chinese Buns on a tray. We thank him and he returns with a small, shy smile before walking away. “Is he your brother?” I ask Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon nods her head.”The one and only family left with me.” She grabs a round of bun and takes a bite.”Like Yuri, I’m also an orphan. Both of my parents were killed when I was undertaking a mission in Russia. Taehyung was still at school when the murder happened. And that was it. I left NIA and Seoul with Taehyung to settle here.” She grits out, her jaws hardened.”And I swear to protect him with everything. Even if it costs my life.”

 

As Yuri moves the food towards me, suddenly I hear a loud bang and a young woman’s storming into Taeyeon’s restaurant, screaming and wailing a pitiful sob.

 

“Tzuyu. . .” She kneels on the floor, holding up her hands to show a crumpled letter.”Tzuyu. . .” Her words are caught in due to her crying.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter