Chapter 02

Toujours Te Trouver
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica POV

 

A light pack and sleeping bag. They’re the stuffs we only need to pack, shesaid. Haish. I snort. I don’t think they will be sufficient, especially with the uncertainty of time and days ahead. I have no idea how long are we going to stay in China, in Wuyuan Village – a small, isolated town congested with outlaws, dangerous criminals. Is my father included in the list of the dangerous ones? That’s why my mother never brought him up even once? I sigh, so many unanswered questions lingering in my head and added up with Yuri as my unexpected travel companion gives me more anxiety into my nerves. Yuri. I bring my foot up on my chair, hugging one knee and closing my eyes, picturing her as she’d been as an adolescent, picturing her deep, brown eyes and stunning dark skin and her fiery touch on my body. . .and her as an adult. I remember how her feature is more defined and sharper, exuding her superior beauty and her orbs are still piercing through my soul but I feel there’s something very differentabout her, way different as compared to the past. A sudden shiver runs through me, not exactly unpleasant shiver, more of a strange mix of intrigue and curiosity. Her eyes only radiate coldness, showing no trace of smile and her familiar warmth.

 

“Oh Yuri, what’d exactly happened after you left?” I whisper, a flood of harsh emotions overwhelms me again. I allow a moment of sadness to fill me before I resume packing, grabbing a pair of t-shirts and jeans, chucking them in my backpack. Just a light pack, I remind myself.

 

When I have finished gathering everything I need, I place the backpack next to my bedroom door and go to my office table to ensure all work responsibilities are in order before I leave Seoul, especially because I don’t know exactly when I will return.

 

Just as I enter my bedroom, I hear my phone ringing from outside and hurry back to the kitchen. Unknown number. I note before sliding the screen to pick up the phone. “Hello,” I answer nervously.

 

There’s a momentary silence before that familiar husky voice comes over the line.”You’ll be leaving Incheon tomorrow evening at seven and arriving in Nanchang.”

 

“T-Tomorrow evening?”I stutter, my heart speeds up in a beat.

 

“Problem?”

 

“N-No, Yuri.”I say faintly, my lips, pulling the bottom one between my teeth.”Not all all.”I repeat again with more certainty.”I’ll be there. But, what about you? Are we going on the same flight?”

 

“No, I’ll be meeting you at the airport in China.”

 

“O-Okay,” I reply.”But where should I meet you?” Fear suddenly fills me, realizing I’ve no idea what the airport in China, or Nanchang is like.

 

“I’ll find you.” She responds, her voice sounds nonchalant. I take a big gulp, attempting to control my breathing. Why does Yuri let me travelling alone to a country where I’ve never travelled before? And as far as I concern, I’m only able to speak a minimum Chinese. And how about my safety? Does she not care about me? I sigh.

 

Care. Do you still care about me, Yuri-yah?

 

“Okay.” I croak.

 

“Alright, I’ll email the ticket to you. I’ll see you in China.” And with that the line goes dead.

 

Leaning my back against the kitchen counter, I close my eyes and heave a big huff. After a moment, I tap my best friend’s number and call her.

 

“Hey, J,” Tiffany greets.

 

“Hey, Tiff.”

 

The tone in my voice must have alerted her because she immediately asks,”What’s wrong?”

 

“I’ll be going to China, Tiff. I’m doing it.”

 

“Holy !” She shouts over the phone,”We’ve talked about this, Jess. Are you insane? You’ve never been there, Jess and never I’ll allow you roaming on the street alone!”

 

“I’m not going alone, Tiff.” I hold a silent pause before continuing,”I’m going with Yuri.” My pulse leaps and my breathing quickens as I mention her name.

 

“Yuri?! Do you mean Kwon Yuri?” I hear a door being closed and her voice slightly reverberates as if she’s gone into an enclosed space.”The Kwon Yuri who used to work in your home many years ago?”Another momentary silent ensues,”B-but how, Jess? Why she’s coming with you?”

 

I hesitate, running my palms over my forehead. In fact, never have I thought Yoona, a friend of mine who’s working at National Intelligence Service would referred me to Yuri. And Yuri. . . why she agreed to work with me in the first place? To go to such extreme lengths to come together with me to China? She said the paycheck was promising but my inner guts believed there’s something more. Could it be. . . she is still care about me? Was she? Is she? I sigh again. Oh Yuri, what is this you’re doing? “Yes, it’s Kwon Yuri. It’s a long story but it’s done. I’m leaving tomorrow evening. I . . . I have to. I have to do this or I’ll be regretful for the rest of my life. This is the only chanceI have.”

 

Tiffany sighs, pausing for a moment before finally says, ”Alright. But Jess. . .if things. . .well, if your father doesn’t want you to find him, and then your ex-boyfriend find you tracking him. . .if things don’t turn out the way you’re hoping, you know. . .and also, about Yuri’s feelings for you—“

 

“I’ll be okay, Tiff. Trust me. . .”

 

“Okay,” Tiffany finally says.”God, this is freaking worrying me.”

 

“Trust me, I’ll be fine. I promise.” I’m trying to keep my voice steady and certain. Deep down I know I’ll be okay, I’ll be fine because Yuri is with me. Despite her cold attitude towards me, I know she’ll protect me no matter what. Just like when she always used to protect me from any harms.

 

I promise to text Tiffany when I arrive in China before saying goodbye. I stand still at my counter for few minutes, staring off the distance, picturing Yuri who will accompany me through the dreadful, dangerous street of Wuyuan and lead me to my long-lost father.

 

Gosh, I am doing this. Tomorrow. My God, I am doing this.

 

 

 

The four-and-half-hour flight seems longer than it should, especially when you’re not sitting in your usual first class seat. But you’re not on a vacation, Jessica. I remind myself again. My eyes glancing at the somewhat large airport, unsure where I should go. I’ll find you. She said. I take a deep breath and look around again, everything looks foreign and the hallway is rather congested and messy with a group of western backpackers laying on the marbled floor, smoking cigarettes. Around the far corner, a group of heavily-armed police patrolling the airport, while some of them are checking the passengers’ bags and luggage. A sudden worry grips me again so I fasten my pace, walking into the main terminal and heading toward the exit door. My strained eyes scan the faces as I walk, looking for a tall and tanned figure –

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter