Chapter 03

Toujours Te Trouver
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica POV

 

I quickly soak under the hot shower until my skin is pruney and my body is flushed all over, then I dry it off with the towel that I used last night and moisturize my skin with the lotion from my backpack. I wear my clothes: a pair of skinny jeans and comfortable long-sleeve t-shirt and Nike sneakers. I put on light makeup and pull my hair into the knot on the top of my head and then descent the stairway into the living room area.

 

“Morning!” I heard DJ Hyo cheerfully greet me from the kitchen counter. “Morning.” I say to DJ Hyo before looking at Yuri, who’s busy sipping her coffee and looking at a map in her hands.”Sorry, I must have overslept.” I say to her apologetically.

 

“Another one or two hours wouldn’t hurt. Besides, you needed the sleep.” Yuri sits straighter and looks at me in the eye.”Go get something to eat.” And then reverts to map reading again.

 

“I’ll make some bacon and eggs for you, Jessica!” DJ Hyo says out loud from the kitchen. She smiles widely at me before making a funny annoyed expression at Yuri, who’s back facing her. I chuckle when DJ Hyo pretends to get mad and then hit Yuri’s back with her fists. “So dense!” She mouthed, her eyes rolled. Twenty minutes later, I finished munching on the delicious breakfast that DJ Hyo cooked for me and drank my coffee. Yuri has already brought our backpacks down and loaded them in DJ Hyo’s car, and then we say a goodbye.

 

“Take care, mate,” DJ Hyo says to Yuri, who gives her an unusual solemn nod, her gaze moving to me and then back to Yuri again.

 

“I will,” Yuri replies, ducking into the car and shutting the door. I buckle my seat belt on the passenger seat and then we pull away.

 

“How do you know her?”I ask. My heart somehow skips a beat when Yuri pulls on her sunglasses as she navigates the car through the quiet street. I’m distracted. She looks so good on her aviator sunglasses.

 

“I met Hyo six years ago in Tongling when I was designated by National Intelligence Agency to spy over illegal drugs market there. I needed a guide who spoke a fluent Chinese and a place to stay and Hyo met all the requirements. Then we became friends, she helped me with my Chinese and I stayed in China for few months until I completed the mission before I left for the Army.”

 

“You went to the Army?” I ask her in surprise.

 

“Yup.”

 

“B-but why? For how long?”

 

“Three years.” Yuri briefly glances over me before saying,” For no reasons.” Her lips are pressed together so tightly that they become a thin, white line; I can sense hurt and pain in her tone.

 

“Oh, okay,” I reply awkwardly and look down, my hands are gripping the edge of the seat so tight. That’s what happened to her after she left my house, left me. She went for a dangerous mission, even went to the Army. Oh Yuri. . .

 

“Three years in the Army, then becoming part of the special operation forces for two years before working back with NIA. Dealt with some of the most dangerous terrorists and criminals in Somalia and Russia. Killed them and almost got myself killed.” I let out a gasp, shooting my eyes to her when I heard the last words.

 

“It’s normal, don’t be shocked.” Yuri smiles a small smile. She settles back, one hand on the steering wheel and the other resting on the gear stick.

 

“I’m shocked, Yuri.” I shake my head, my hands rubbing over my clenched hands and glance back at her.” Don’t you realize? You’ve almost got yourself killed.”

 

She sneers.”Well who cares? No one will even realize if I’m dead anyway.”

 

“I do, Yul. I do care about you until now.” I say, a hitch in my voice that I can’t hide.

 

Yuri suddenly steps on the brake and brings the car to a stop before pulling off her sunglasses.”I promise myself I’m not gonna discuss about this.” She stares me down, her voice is raspy and filled with anguish. “I’m just helping you to find your father. That’s my job and after that, we’re done.”

 

I lift my chin. I am not going to cry. Even though I’m hurt by her words to me, I’m not going to let myself cry in front of her.

 

Our gazes fixated for some moments and I swear I see something intense – pain and yearning in her eyes, and it makes my heart aches.

 

I open my mouth to say something but I see Yuri’s expression goes blank, she has her eyebrows furrowed and her eyes closed briefly, and releases a breath.”Let’s focused on our mission. The journey ahead is not going to be easy and I want both of us to work together till we reach Wuyuan Village.” She says evenly, enunciating every word.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter