Jealous Bear

Nothing But Net

"What do I do Wendy-ah!" Seulgi calls her best friend for help. She explains the whole situation to Wendy and the dilemma that she's in at the moment. "I like her but she likes the male version of me..." Seulgi sounds so troubled. 

"Why don't you tell her the truth? If she likes you for you, then I'm sure she'll understand." 

"I'm scared...I'm afraid she'll hate me afterward." Seulgi voices her hesitant. What if she hates me for lying to her? What if she doesn't like me as a girl? What if she's disgusted by me? All these what ifs are flooding Seulgi's head and the thoughts terrify her. 

 "Seulgi. You are incredibly sweet and kind. No one can hate you. Anf if she does, then she just doesn't deserve you." Wendy reassures her best friend. It pains her to see Seulgi this way. The confident, carefree, outgoing Seulgi if now filled with hesitance, worries, and doubts. 

"It's best to start your relationship off with honesty anyway. She deserves to know the truth. And I'm sure she'll fall for you even more once she knows the real you." Wendy continues.  

"You're right. I'll be honest with her. If she would still give me the chance..." Seulgi's sentence trails off at the end as she thinks back on how devastated Joohyun had looked when she apologized. 

------

The next few days were miserable for Seulgi. She tried texting, calling, and even stalking Joohyun, but the older girl avoided her like a plague. She tried to apologize but for Irene, the apology only served as a reminder of that night she confessed. 

The whole basketball team can see that the bear is down especially when it reflects so poorly in his game. It was the last game before Winter break against Cube College where Seul made so many fatal mistakes that it almost cost them the whole game. Not only was he missing most of his three-pointers, often time, they catch him spacing out and allowing his opponent to easily bypass him. No matter how strong S.M.U is, in a game where it is 4 vs. 5, they will be at a disadvantage. Yul pulls the bear out 20 minute in and replaces him with Byul instead. Seul watches from the bench for the remainder of the game. 

"Seul! I know you have some personal problems going on right now. But don't bring it on the court!" Yul lectures him after the game. Seulgi felt horrible and guilty after the game. She loves basketball and vowed to help the team win the championship but, here she is now, ruining their teamwork and almost cost them the game. 

"Hey! Cheer up, buddy. Could happen to anyone."

"Just talk to Irene and work things out with her."

"We'll have our all-star three-point shooter Kang Seul back in no time!" 

Her teammates cheer her up one by one as they leave the locker room.

--------

Seulgi decides to ambush Irene at the one place where the girl can't run away from her. At the Christmas Symphony where she will be performing. Byul somehow managed to convince Yongsun to get him a ticket for Seul. She was reluctant at first but she couldn't stand seeing her best friend all gloomy and depressed any longer. She eventually agreed, hoping that the bear could cheer Irene up. 

Seul and Byul showed up early for the concert. At 7 pm sharp, the curtain lifted revealing the whole orchestra. Without any introduction, the conductor starts to wave his magical stick as beautifully harmonized songs from different strings resonate through the whole hall. Seulgi is not an expert in classical music but she knows enough to appreciate it, especially if part of that sound is created by the beauty sitting in the front of the violin section, pressing each string with her nimble fingers and gently pulling the bow to create sounds that glue the pieces together. 

She's so talented. 

Standing ovation when the piece ended. The girl with the violin also took her bow and leave the stage, clueless of the bear sitting in the audience seat. Seulgi doesn't see the older girl perform again until the opening of the second act. 

Irene walks on stage dressed in a long white flowy dress with a small violin in one hand and her bow in the other. Accompanying her is Yongsun in her yellow floral knee-length dress. The two walk to the center of the stage and take their bow before Yongsun leaves for the piano and Irene setting her instrument up. 

She's so beautiful. Both Seul and Byul thought at the same time but for a different person.

Based on the program, the piece that Irene and Yongsun are playing is Beethoven violin sonata no 3 in E flat major. The sound starts out soft but quickly increases in speed. Almost like a tug-of-war, the violin started out dominating the piano but the piano gains strength and takes over. The sounds eventually overlap one another until both the piano and the violin blends into one.  Seeing how fingers are flying from left to right and pressing quickly and accurately onto each string and each key, Seulgi guesses that it must be a difficult piece to play but the girls mastered it beautifully. 

Watching the girl in front of her perform with so much confidence, so much emotion, and so much talent, Seulgi can't help but feel proud that she's in love with such a person. Her heart flutters in excitement along with the music and stands up to clap along with everyone else when the last note was played.

That was amazing!  Seulgi's mouth remains open for the duration of the applauds.

After the show, Seulgi walks around with flowers in hand to look for the violinist only to find her talking to a guy behind the stage. Her pace slowed to give them some privacy but as she got closer, she notices how uncomfortable Irene is looking. Her steps quicken when she sees the guy reaches up to grab Irene's wrist. 

"But you won't know if you like me or not unless you give me a chance!" Seulgi can hear the guy trying to persuade Irene. 

Shuffling through all the people, once she finally reaches the violinist, she frees Irene's captured wrist and pulls the girl behind her while wedging herself between the violinist and the guy in a protective manner. 

"And she never will!" Seulgi's tone is curt and sharp.

"What the...Who the hell are you?" 

Seulgi ponders for a second to find the best word that could describe their relationship, friend? boyfriend? girlfriend? before settling for something vague "None of your business. Just know that I like her and I'm here to protect her from aggressive jerks like you!" She raises her voice loud and stares him down until he shrinks away. 

D-did he just said he likes me...?

Only after the guy disappeared did Seulgi turns around and fuss over Irene's wrist for any markings. She caresses the red fingerprints marked on her soft white skin gently. "Are you okay?" 

Irene doesn't care about any of that. All she cared about was what the bear just said. "Is it true? You like me?" She asks softly and shyly while avoiding his gaze.  

As if her courage was set on a timer and that timer had just run out, Seulgi is now reduced to a fumbling, nervous bear when she realizes that she and Joohyun are standing only inches apart. She fiddles with the flowers she is holding. Her heartbeat is pounding so loud that she is sure Irene can hear from where she's standing. She her lips nervously and shoves the flowers in front of Irene's face while looking down and closing her eyes. "I m-meant what I said. I l-l-like you! A l-lot!!"  Seulgi mustered the courage to confess. 

Seulgi's eyes remained closed while waiting for Irene to response but instead of words, she felt a pair of arms wrapped around her waist and Irene's head of her chest. "Really? You're not just saying that because you feel bad right?" Irene questions softly.

She can't believe what she's hearing. Seulgi grabs Irene by the shoulders and pushes her away slightly to look at her right in the eyes. "Of course not! You're funny, kind, beautiful, smart, adorable, super talented. I can go on! Only a dumb bear would have taken this long to realize that it's in love with you!"

Irene turns away from the Seul's bold compliment and confession. She is glad that it is dark backstage so Seul can't see the blush on her cheeks. Her heart is thumping in joy. And she doesn't trust herself to say anything at the moment. 

Thinking that Irene's lack of response means that she doesn't believe her, Seulgi keeps her gaze on Irene and with her most sincere tone, "Let's me prove to you that I mean every word I said. Hyun...will you go on a date with me tomorrow?"

Irene is already reduced to a ball of mess at Seul's confession. She could only nod to the date. 

But that doesn't make Seulgi any less excited at the agreement. "Great! I'll pick you up tomorrow at 6!" She exclaimed before pulling the older girl into a bear hug. 

-----------

"Yong. What should I wear?  Something more feminine?" Irene asks, holding a light blue one-piece dress over her body. "Or something more causal?" she puts the dress down and pulls the skinny jeans and t-shirt up. 

"Go for feminine," Yongsun said without even looking up. At this point, she doesn't even care anymore. Irene has been trying to pick out an outfit for her date with Seul for almost an hour now and the girl has been indecisive about what to wear. 

"But what if it's too formal?"

"Go for casual then!"

"But what if he thinks I'm not putting in enough effort?"

"Irene, I'm sure he'll still think you are beautiful even if you show up in pajamas! Just wear what you're comfortable in." Yongsun gives her final advice. 

"I guess...."

While Irene is pondering on an outfit out of the pile on her bed, Seulgi is also doing the same.

Ah! What should I wear!? Causal hoodie? Smart blazer? Cool leather jacket? Or nerdy vest?

She getting more and more nervous by the minute as 6 aproaches and every time she's trying to remember the details of the date, the details seem to be evading her. Oh god. Did I make a reservation? Yea. I did. At 6:30. Am I missing anything?

"OMG! I FORGOT TO BUY FLOWERS!" Seulgi screamed out loud. 

Gosh! How can I forget something so important? 

It's an understatement to say that the bear is nervous right now. She is more like a ball of nervous wreck thinking about taking the older girl out on their first official date. 

Seulgi opted for smart blazer style before rushing to a nearby flower shop to pick up a bouquet of purple lilies. Joohyun's favorite color. 

She shows up at Joohyun's dorm 15 minutes before 6 and was pacing back and forth outside before texting her at 6 that she's here. The bear is waiting nervously with sweaty palms for the older girl to show up and when the girl finally came out in her light blue one-piece dress and her straight brown hair falling perfectly on her shoulders, Seulgi couldn't help but gape. 

"You're beautiful, Hyun." Seulgi accidentally said it out loud.  

"Thanks." Joohyun turns away slightly and blushes at the compliment. For some reason, Seul's compliments always make her shy no matter how many times she hears it. 

"Shall we?" Seulgi leads the way to the restaurant. She reserved a table at a nice fancy Italian restaurant a few blocks away from campus.

They decided to walk to the restaurant and never has it been so nerve wrecking between them before. Both Seulgi and Joohyun are racking their brain trying to find topics to talk about. They have never had a problem with talking for hours before but somehow, today is different. Today is their first official date together and the two are tongue-tied. 

"So when you're next...?" "Is that...?" They both asked at the same time before looking at each other and said "You first." at the same time. 

 Joohyun giggles at the situation. "So is that for me?" She nudges at the purple lilies that are in Seul's hand. 

"Huh? Oh. OOH. Yea! Haha. H-here. I got you flowers in your favorite color." She hands the flowers that she was so supposed to give Joohyun back at the dorm. "You distracted me. I forgot." She gives a nervous laugh. 

It's rare for Joohyun to see the usual calm and confidence Kang Seul to be a mess like this so she can't help but want to a little. "I distracted you? How so?" She asks with a smirk.

The innocent bear didn't notice the smirk on Joohyun's face and took the question literally. "Well...I was already nervous about our first date and then you walked out like you had just finished a photoshoot and all I could think about was how gorgeous you are and how happy I am that you agreed to go on a date with me." She rambles honestly and that took Joohyun by surprised. 

Seulgi stops talking and gulps when she realized that she had revealed too much. 

Oh god. I didn't mess up, didn't I?

The two eventually fall into a comfortable silence as they continue walking side by side and their arms swaying back and forth, brushing against one another ever so often. Should I hold her hand now? Seulgi thought as her hand brushes against Joohyun's again for the 7th time. The thought kept lingering in the back of her mind for the 8th and 9th and 10th time. It has never been this hard before.

The thoughts kept Seulgi distracted until Joohyun suddenly grabs Seulgi's hand and pull her along to dash for the blinking cross light. She was about to loosen her grip but Seulgi tightens hers and entwines their fingers in a deadlock. Their hands fit snuggly into one another as they walk hands-in-hands toward the restaurant.  A triumphant grin donning the bear's face the entire way. 

---

After a nerve wrecking initial start, normalcy finally settled between the couple as they ordered their food and talk comfortably. The topic eventually falls to what each will be doing for Winter break. Winter break has officially started and the students are given a three-week break from mid-December to early-January. Joohyun was telling her how she will be going back home for the break to spend time with her family when Seulgi suddenly realizes that she won't be seeing her for 3 whole weeks!! 

"Aww. You're gonna be gone that long?" Seulgi gives her most exaggerated pout. "I'm gonna miss you, Hyunnie." 

Joohyun chuckles at the cuteness, "We can still text and facetime." 

"But I won't be able to do this." Seulgi suddenly grabs Joohyun's hand that was settled on the table and gives it a tender kiss. 

"Yah!" Joohyun pulls her hand away in embarrassment. Seems like the playful Kang Seul is back. 

Joohyun couldn't pretend to be mad for long when she learned that Seul will not be going back to Jeju for the holiday. She feels kind of bad for leaving the bear alone on campus by himself. The whole campus will pretty much be deserted with everyone either going home or on vacation. He's going to be so lonely! Maybe she can come back a few days early to keep him company. As a surprise! She grins to herself at the thought of his shocked face when she shows up with homemade food in hand. 

----

The date has gone well so far. Seul has put more thought into this than Joohyun expected. After dinner, Seulgi took her to Hangang where they strolled along the river hand-in-hand before settling down at a coffee stand served on a boat. A boat that Seulgi had reserved specifically for the night. Their private boat slowly departs from the pier and rows along the bed of the river as the two cuddle next to one another. They pass through the city lights, the endless high rises of Seoul, and eventually further and further away from the city. The winter breeze brushes against their face while hot stream of coffee keeps them warms; but not as warm as the heat radiating from each other's body. The boat anchored for a while once it reaches the end of the designated path. With a cup of hot coffee in their hand and radiantly beautiful city lights surrounding them, the couple looks at each other in the eyes and could not be happier at the company next to them.    

This is it! They both thought but for a completely different reason. The butterflies that had left Seulgi's tummy came back all of a sudden. She wanted to tell Joohyun the truth and she wanted to do it now?  

She was about to say something but stopped when she noticed that Joohyun had closed her eyes and was leaning in partially, probably hoping that Seul would meet her halfway. 

The innocent bear wasn't sure what to do next. Sure she has seen in movies how kisses worked but she has never kissed anyone herself! She copied what she has seen on TV and leaned in slowly. Too slowly. 

The more experienced girl peeked from one eye when no movement was detected and was surprised to see a cute adorable bear puckering her lips, still inches apart. Joohyun chuckled to herself and made a note that the bear is much more innocent than she had thought before taking the lead and giving him a gentle peck on the lips. 

It was a sweet gentle kiss; one that leaves Seulgi wanting more. She never knew she can miss a pair of lips that she had only known for a few seconds, but when Joohyun pulled away, Seulgi wanted nothing more than to pull her back and let their lips meld into one another once more. But instead, she chooses to puff her cheeks into a semi-pout to let Joohyun know she was unsatisfied with such a short kiss. 

Joohyun giggles in response and gives the bear's cheek a pinch, controlling her inner desire to pull the pout in for a second kiss. A slower kiss. A deeper kiss. 

It didn't take much for Joohyun to break that control and give the bear another kiss, a longer one this time when she saw how adorable he is for trying to keep her hands warm with his breath. If the first kiss had left Seulgi incoherent, the second kiss that Joohyun stole had turned her brain into mush. This time she was able to feel the softness of Joohyun's lips against hers and taste the lingering coffee and cherry lipstick that spelss out Bae Joohyun.  

That night, all problems and worries were forgotten as they embrace the happiness in the present. And as if their eyes are attracted to each other like opposite poles of a magnet, they kept stealing glances at one another with shy smiles as they make their way back home.


 Author's note: Hi all! We're almost at the end of this story here. Just curious what everyone thinks of the story so far? This is my first fic so kinda nervous about the quality. heheh. Thank you all for the upvotes, comments, and subscription. Almost 500 subscriptions! Woohoo 🙌. Definitely encouraging. 😙