Hyun

Nothing But Net

Chapter 2: Hyun

At S.M University

Seulgi steps out of the taxi and onto S.M University campus donning on black skinny jeans, a white t-shirt, and her brother’s leather jacket. She put on her sunglasses and starts pulling her luggage toward the school dormitory. She takes in scenery and the building as she walks.

 

S.M University is a prestigious university and one of South Korea’s top universities. Most students from this school are not only rich but also talented. Though the school excels in a lot of departments, it is most well-known for its sports teams and music department. Its basketball team, especially, has made it to the top 8 in the league for the past decades but, unfortunately, they haven’t won the championship since 2014. This is the reason why Seulgi chooses to follow through with this plan. What better way to prove herself to her parents than to win the championship for the school?

 

As Seulgi walks toward the dorm, she notes that the campus is not that big. There are two 7-story tall buildings on the right, which is probably the male and female dorms, and across the lawn are 2 modern looking building decorated with tinted glass windows and a shorter but more refined building that reads S.M. Concert Hall at the front. Seulgi scans for the gym and the track but guesses that they are farther away from the main campus.  

Since school hasn’t started yet, there are only a handful of students around. Seulgi spots only a few females reading on the lawn while sun tanning and three boys playing Frisbee. So this is what it’s like to be in college. Seulgi thought.

 

Seulgi continues to stroll toward the dorms as a girl with thin-rimmed glasses and hair tied in a bun rides toward her on a bike.

 

Woah. What a hottie. The bun-head also notices Seulgi.

 

She was so focused on admiring the guy in front of her that she didn’t even notice a Frisbee flying towards her until it nearly misses her head by inches.

 

The girl loses control of her bike and tumbles over.

 

 She is about to cuss those boys out but opted to send them a deadly glare instead when she noticed Seulgi rushing forward to help.

 

 

Seulgi lifts the bike off of the bun-head girl and parks it to the side before extending her arm to the girl that is still on the ground.


“Are you okay?” Seulgi asks while noticing the cuts on the girl’s left knee.

“I-I’m okay. T-thank y-you” the girl says in the smallest voice, almost a whisper, still shaken by what happened.

 

What the , Bae Joohyun. Did you just stutter? She inwardly facepalms herself. Let’s get your messy out of here before you embarrass yourself further. She attempts to grab her bike but Seulgi pulls her back.

 

“Wait. You’re bleeding!” Seulgi points out and reaches into her backpack for a Band-Aids.

She kneels down and put the Band-Aids on the cut. The girl cringes a little at the touch.

 

“Done.” Seulgi stands up and gives the girl a warm smile.  “Hi. I’m Kang Seul.” Seulgi extends her hand and introduces herself, dropping her tone a little deeper to match her new identity. “I’m a freshman here. Maybe we’ll see each other around on campus.”  Seulgi gives the shy girl a cheeky grin hoping to make a new friend in this new environment.

 

“Joohyun” Seulgi barely hear the girl when she replies with her tiny, soft voice.

 

“Sorry. I didn’t catch that” Seulgi leans in closer to listen.

 

“Joo..hyun” the shy girl whispers the first syllable and squeaks the second when she catches Seulgi’s face inches from hers’. AH! Too close! Too close! Joohyun is having a mental breakdown now.  He’s so much cuter up close though.

 

“Nice to meet you, Hyun” Seulgi greets while completely miss the first part of the girl’s name.

 

H-H-Hyun..? Joohyun squeaks. . Did I just stutter in my head too? Joohyun tries to avoid eye contact with the guy in front. Maybe I should just make a dash for it. Better than stuttering like a fool in front of him. Talk about first impression. She looks around for her bike and tries to calculate the best path to it.

 

Sensing Joohyun’s urgency and thinking that the girl needs to leave or is late for something, Seulgi steps back and waves bye to her new friend. “I’ll see you around campus Hyun!” Seulgi calls out endearingly.

 

Seulgi has always been a social butterfly and her easy-going and sweet personality have garnered her a large circle of female friends. She is just being herself when she opens up to the shy girl. But what she didn’t realize is that, she’s no longer cuddly bear Kang Seulgi but the cool and charismatic Kang Seul. The dense bear didn’t even notice the blush on Joohyun’s cheeks when the girl turns to leave on her bike. 

 

Cute. Seulgi thought as she continues toward her dorm.