Scrimmage

Nothing But Net

Three weeks pass by with classes, school works, and intense training for the whole basketball team. Seulgi in enjoying college life a lot more than she expected, especially with her new friendships with her teammates and Irene.

 

After the first brunch with Irene, the two has been in contact via text. She was quite surprised that Irene had approached her after brunch and asked for her number but she is glad that the girl did so because Irene from text is so much more outspoken.    

 

Hi Seul. This is Joohyun.

 

Hi Hyun! It was nice to see you in your natural habitat today. *smiley face*.

 

What am I? An animal?

 

Hm…now that you mentioned it…you do look like a bunny. *thinking face*

 

Yah! You’re as worse and my friends! *angry face*

 

Lol! At least I’m not as greasy at Byul. *wink

 

Shudder. I don't think anyone can win against Byul.

 

No. But you're definitely in the running for second place though. Lol!

 

Sigh. What can I say...I have a yeba as a mentor.  (*Yeba = pretty fool.)

 

And she has a yeba as a mentee. So you girls are even. 

*Angry face*

And now you're an angry yeba! hahaha

Anyway. I would love to talk to you all night but I have to get up early tomorrow. *sad face". Good night Hyun *heart*.

 

Nighty *kissy face*

Oops. Typo. *Sleepy face. 

Suuuure. Typo...


The texting goes back and forth like that every day without neither one of them missing a good morning or sweet dream text to one another. Irene’s heart flutters every time her phone beeps and she would end up smiling like an idiot reading through their conversation. Sometimes, she can’t but wonder if the person on the other side feels the same way.

 

As promised, Seul, Joy, SinB, Yoong, and Soo starts off the scrimmage game against FNC. Both teams are warming up when Yongsun and Irene arrived, dragging the lazy Yeri behind them. Surprisingly the court is quite crowded for a scrimmage game. But then again, their school’s basketball games have always gathered a large crowd of fangirls since some of the most good looking guys are on the team. Fortunately, Tiffany and Jessica had arrived early and saved them a seat.

 

Moon Byul sends his girlfriend a flying kiss and a wink when he spots her in the crowd and that sends all the girls surrounding her in high-pitch squeals as a result. 

 

Yul runs up to him and gives him a smack in the back of the head before dragging him back to warm-up, but not before mouthing an I miss you to his still-angry-girlfriend and sending her a-not-so-secret hand heart. More squeals and screams sounded from girls in that section. Byul sneers at his captain’s action. Tiffany notices him but chooses to turn away and completely ignores him.

 

All attentions are on that section of the bench now. Yoong and Seul notice the commotion and glance toward that section to see what’s happening.

 

Seul sends Irene a big wave along with a mono-lid crescent eye smile when she notices her and Irene returns the gesture with a shy hello especially when she realizes that several eyes are lurking around to see who the cute bear is waving to.

 

Seeing all the love that is being sent to the section by his teammate, Yoong wants to join in the fun too. He looks at Jessica with a mischevious smile.

 

Jessica glares back with a silent threat. Im Yoong. Don’t you dare!!

 

Yoong understood the threat but that has never stopped him from pulling crazy stunts to woo the ice queen before.

 

“Jung Jessica in row 3, seat 13!” Yoong calls her out at the top of his lung. “If we win this game, will you finally be my girlfriend?” He throws her a heart and a wink but the girl is too busy hiding behind Tiffany from embarrassment to notice.

 

Yoong chortles at the action.

 

That sends the whole stadium in loud cheers, hollers, and whistles at Yoong’s brave confession. Several of his teammates give him a thumbs up while others pat in on his back as compliments. 

 

Idiots. Why do we even bother with these es? The girls who are now the focus of the audience’s attention all sigh.

 

The whistle blows for the start of the game between S.M.U and FNC. Soo jumps for the ball and tips it in Yoong’s direction. Yoong dribbles the ball while calculating the best play given everyone’s position. He sees that Seul is on the outside, Soo is already under to hoop, ready for rebound if needed, and Joy is on standby for the ball.

 

He pretends to dribbles the ball toward the hoop until a FNC player is on him and that leaves Joy wide open. He passes the ball to Joy, who drives the ball toward the basket and jump for a shoot. The other team is quick to block but Joy had fake the shot and drops the ball behind him instead, where Seul is hidden. Seul catches the ball and shoot!

S.M.U scores! The crowd cheers! Perfect combo from the rookie players right off the bat.

Seul and Joy high five each other while running back to position.

 

FNC is on offense now but with the Yoong-Soo duos, the opponent is having a difficult time scoring. If their shots are not being blocked by Yoong then it’s by Soo and what’s worse is, most of the rebounds are being taken by Soo, therefore, they are pressured to be even more careful.

 

The gap has widened near the end of second quarter of the game. 28 to 19. Seul has made an impressive impression on the crowd with his three-pointers and his team play with Joy and Yoong but he’s at his limit now.

 

Yul notices it and calls for a sub change. Moonbyul replaces Seul and Yul replaces SinB. Joy is still in since he still has the stamina to keep going. With Moonbyul and Yul playing, the game is going much smoother for S.M.U.  Yul and Yoong switch off to call the play while Joy scores from the inside and Moonbyul scoring from the outside. Of course not forgetting to give Yongsun a wink every time he does so. World’s greasiest guy indeed!

 

Soo snags the ball from rebound with seconds before the game ends and makes a quick pass to Byul, who is already running back to the other end. He catches the ball and dribbles it toward the basket. The other team is quick to catch up but one giant leap, he goes for the dunk. The other players try to stop him but he hangs in the air longer and with both hands on the ball, he slams it through the hoop before the buzzer buzzes.

The timer counts down to zero and the crowd goes wild! 58 to 39. Almost a 20 point lead for S.M.U! Even though FNC is not one of the top teams out there but they are not bad either. For o win with such a wide range just means that they have a strong team this year! We're aiming for the top this year! Everyone in the stadium thinks. 

 

After the game, people start to leave the stadium in packs while the girls make their way toward the tired players around the bench. Irene was looking for the bear when she notices a group of girls flirting with Seul. HER Seul! 

 

Jealousy completely consumes her now. She was going to take it slow with a certain innocent Kang Seul but not anymore. Not when he’s attracting girls like a flower attracting bees.

 

She marches toward the oblivious guy with such presence that girls surrounding him can’t help but feel a prickling sensation on their back. Seul follows their gazes and finally see the older girl approaching.

 

“Hyunnie! How’d you like the game?” Seul waves at her with a silly grin. Excited to see the girl again even though they had just met up yesterday.  

 

Joohyun grabs his lifted hand and entwined their fingers as a statement to the other girls. Back off! He’s mine. “It was great! You were very cool.” Joohyun praises as she wipes his sweat off with a nearby towel.

 

Seul is surprised by the sudden skinship but just takes it as Irene being more comfortable with her. Irene lets go of his hand only after the other girls had left. She misses it instantly. She likes the comfort of his hand and how perfect their hand fits together.

 

“Hahah. Thanks! It was my first game so I was so nervous already! And then I saw you watching and got even more nervous!” Seul starts to ramble. “I’m so glad that I didn’t make that many mistakes on my shots.” 

The two continues to chat idly while, not far away, Yongsun is also approaching her tired looking boyfriend. “You were great babe!” She praises as she nears him.

 

“Only because you are here!” Byul clicks his tongue and winks at her. “And I was aiming for your heart when I made those shots anyway.”  He whispers into her ear when they are only inches apart. That earns him a gentle slap on the arm as Yongsun giggles in response.

 

The whisper was not loud but still loud enough for the nearby Yul to hear. “Gosh Byul! Cut the cheese.” Yul throws his towel at Byul. “I don’t know how you can tolerate his cheesiest for so long, Yongsun.”

 

“It’s called being romantic capt! Hah. You should take a page out of my book. At least I don’t have a girlfriend who hasn’t talked to me in weeks” Byul retaliates with a smirk.

 

Talk about girlfriend, Yul glances to his left where Tiffany and Jessica are talking to Soo and Yoong. He walks toward them.

 

“Fany-ah” Yul calls out in a semi-whine hoping to catch his girlfriend’s attention.

 

Ignored.

 

“Yah! Tiffany!” Yul tries for the more serious tone.

 

Ignored again!

 

“Fany-ah! What do you think of the game?!” Yul tries a third time for the more casual energetic approach.

 

“It’s was good.” Tiffany finally gives him a response, albeit a curt one.

 

At this point, he’s desperate enough to actually consider Byul’s nonsense advice now.

 

Here goes nothing. “H-haha. H-honey. Y-you should know that I was aiming for your h-heart when I was making those shots.” . I can’t believe I said that! Instant regret when he hears Yoong and Soo snicker nearby. They are trying hard to hold it in but it is too much. They two eventually broke out into a fit of laughter.

 

“HAHAHA! OMG Yul! Did you actually took a page out of Byul’s greasy book?” Yoong says between laughter.  

 

“HAHAHA! That’s was so lame Yul!” Soo has tears in his eyes now.   

 

What made it worse is that Byul also heard the whole thing!!

 

“HAHAH. Capt! I should have copyrighted that line and charge you for using it!” Byul chimes in.

 

 Yul is beet red from embarrassment but the smile from his girlfriend encourages him to continue.

“Fany-ah. Forgive me, please? I’ve missed you so much. I don’t think I can stand another day without you by my side.” The captain inches toward the said girl who melts a little at his sincere confession and grabs her hands. 

 

“You didn’t seem to miss me that much during break” Tiffany huffs in response.

 

“Honey. You know I did. I was just nervous about meeting your family. I don’t want to mess up in front of them”

 

“Oh. Yul. You know they would love you just because I love you.”

 

“M-maybe. I just want to be ready when I meet the most important people in your life since you are as important in mine.”

 

“Aww. Yul.” Tiffany hugs the guy with tears in her eyes when she finally understood her boyfriend’s reason. “I’m sorry for ignoring you. I love you.”

 

“I love you so much more.” Yul returns the hug. He didn’t realize how much more he had missed the girl’s presence until their lips touched with an electrifying shock that reminds him of their first kiss. 

 

“So does that mean you’re finally moving out of Jessica’s room?” Of course, leave it up to Yoong to ruin the heartwarming moment.

 

“Why? Doesn’t mean she will finally let you in even if I leave.” Tiffany questions knowingly.

 

“We just won the game! So she has to keep her promise to be my girlfriend!” Yoong eyes the ice queen with a confident smirk.

 

“Yah! I didn’t promise to that. I still haven’t kill you for embarrassing me in front of the whole school yet!” Jessica raises her fist and was ready to punch the guy. Yoong avoids the punch knowing that it was coming and starts to run away while laughing. Their friends watch the two running around the basketball court like two elementary school students playing tag as Jessica gives chase.  

Seriously. Those two should just get together already. Everyone thinks. 


Author's note: Sorry for those who are here for Seulrene. I promised Seulrene but our main characters are making less of an appearance than I wanted them to. It took me awhile to imagine how they would interact (I can see moonsun's much more vivid for some reason). Promise next chapter will be dedicated for Seulrene.