Chapter Seven

It Lives
Please log in to read the full chapter
Quick note for anyone who started reading before July, 18: the shadow's name will be Hwan-yeong instead of Huxley. In Korean,  환영 (hwan-yeong) means phantom, ghost, apparition, shadow, etc., the kids gave him the name because they thought it fit, since he's an apparition. 그림자 (Geulimja) means shadow in Korean, when they aren’t calling him by the name they gave him they call him the shadow but I will write it as geulimja. I hope you enjoy this chapter <3     Chapter Seven

 

All night, Soo Young had been dreading going to school the next day. Part of her was ready to get it all over with; to find Changgu and send Hwan-young back to the hell he’d escaped from once and for all. But then, the other part of her, the part with all the common sense said that she was just going to get herself killed. As she lay in bed she remembered what had happened eight years ago with Eunseo and the more she thought the less it was likely she'd fall asleep. She knew the second she closed her eyes she would be able to see it all more vividly.

Morning came too soon and she realized she hadn't slept a wink. She had bags under her eyes and her hair was a tangled mess from all the tossing and turning. With a sigh, she got ready for school. As she walked towards school with Yeri she didn't have much to say but lucky for her Yeri did. The younger girl talked rapidly, only stopping to take a breath after every fifty words. They made it to school in no time and she noticed Sehyoon almost immediately.

He stood in the shade, under a large tree. Like the day before, he wore a heavy jacket and Soo Young wondered if he was really immune to the weather having been raised in Pocheon since birth. She herself was about ready to pass out from the heat and she had on a pair of shorts and a tank.

“Hey, I’ll catch up with you later.” She said to Yeri who looked at her with a confused gaze.

“You're not going in?” Yeri asked.

“I have to talk to someone first,” She motioned to Sehyoon who was still unaware that she had arrived. It seemed that Jinho still wasn't there so they had a few more minutes until they had to leave.

“Okay miss popular. Just don't forget about me when you're sipping tea with the Marionettes in their witch lair.”

“Hey! What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing, just that it's only the second day of school and it seems like you have more friends than I thought you wanted.”

“He's not my friend, not exactly. Besides, do you really think I wanted to get noticed by Irene and her goons?”

“I don't think you wanted to get noticed… but I think you're liking the attention.”

“Yah!” Soo Young exclaimed as Yeri walked onwards, “You're wrong about that!”

“Whatever you say.” Yeri waved a hand in the air, not bothering to turn around.

As she walked away Soo Young shook her head. Yeri could be the dramatic type when she really wanted to. Soo Young made her way to Sehyoon who noticed her just as she stopped beside him.

“Hey.” She greeted him.

“Hey, glad to see you didn't wimp out.”

“Of course not,” she glanced around the yard, taking in all the other students, “Have you heard from Jinho?”

“He’s on his way.”

“Cool…”

She stood awkwardly behind him, wondering what to say. Among all of her former friends, Sehyoon was the hardest to be around. After all, it had been his sister that had died that day. Hid sister whose life ended long before it could even start. Eunseo had been a huge part of all their lives but none more so than Sehyoon’s. Soo Young crossed her arms and uncrossed them. Shoved her hands into her small pockets and took them out to let them hang by her side. She was fidgeting, she knew, but she couldn't help it.

Thankfully they only had to wait a few minutes until Jinho showed up. He smiled brightly at them and waved, “Okay, I'm here. You guys ready to head out?”

Sehyoon and Soo Young shared a look and nodded.

“You got room for one more?”

Soo Young turned around and was faced with a sheepish Hongseok. He wore a blazer and khakis, not exactly hiking attire but the look on his face said he was determined to go with them.

“What are you doing here?” Sehyoon asked unkindly.

“Long story short, I told someone that I would do anything for anyone who needed my help… In this case, Changgu needs me and I don't want to go back on my word.”

He looked at Soo Young as he said this and she could tell his words were directed at her. She blushed and looked away. She’d been doing that a lot lately and it was starting to annoy her. Sehyoon frowned but didn't say anything; with a slight nod he turned away from him and headed down the school-yard. The others followed.

As they walked towards town Hongseok walked up beside her, “Hey, I'm sorry about yesterday. I guess I was pretty freaked out. I hope it's not too late for me to redeem myself?”

“Lucky for you, you were just on time,” she smiled.

He smiled back.

They walked to town and Sehyoon suggested they should grab some gear before they went into the woods. Even though she was less scared now that it was broad daylight she didn't want to risk running into that dirt monster without any means of protecting herself, so she agreed.

They went into a store and browsed the aisles. They settled on two metal bats, a garden hoe and a shovel. The old guy behind the counter gave them a suspicious look but Hongseok went into class president mode and made up some lame story about a school project. The old man seemed to believe him and they were able to leave the store without further questions.

Outside they walked along the sidewalk when a police siren blared behind them. They all jumped and turned around just as a familiar looking guy got out of a police cruiser. He seemed to have abandoned the uniform for a pair of dark jeans and a black leather jacket over a white t-shirt. He noticed Sehyoon first.

“Sehyoon, my favorite delinquent.”

“Hui,” he acknowledged the older man, “shouldn't you be out somewhere rescuing a cat from a tree or something?”

“Funny,” he eyed him, “I see you’re up to no good, what are planning now?”

“Nothing illegal.”

“Aren't you supposed to be in school?”

“We're headed there right now actually.” Sehyoon lied.

Hui took in the other's, nodding to Jinho and Hongseok. When his eyes settled on Soo Young his lips spread into a smile.

“Well if it isn't a blast from the past. How's it going, Soo Young?” Hui asked as he leaned back against the hood of his cruiser.

“Sounds like you figured out how we know each other. Are you going to let me in on the secret?”

“I could, but then you’d owe me two cups of coffee. You sure you don't want to figure it out yourself.”

“Considering I barely got any sleep last night and my brain is fried…”

“I’ll give you a hint; I figured it out when my sister told me you came back and were already causing loads of trouble.”

“Your sister?”

Then it dawned on her. The only people in her old group with siblings were Hongseok, Sehyoon, Ye-rin, and Jihyo. Then she remembered the name Sehyoon called him just moments before, “Hui…” She whispered.

“Park Hwitaek?!” She called out, louder this time. He was Jihyo’s brother.

“Right on the mark!” He grinned.

“So you're a cop now?”

“Unfortunately.”

“How’d that happen?”

“I spent some time traveling, made it all the way to Spain before my parents called, saying that they could use the extra detail. Back then I figured I could use the cash so I took the next plane out. I was only supposed to be here a few months but the time got away from me.”

“And you decided to stay?”

“Not so much decided as everything I’ve ever known is here. It’s familiar, it's quiet, can't be that bad right?”

“That sounds horrible. I’ll take Spain over Pocheon any day of the week.”

Hui laughed, “Anyway, what are you guys up to?”

“Um… nothing in particular…”

“Yeah? What's with the tools? You look like your going to rob a bank and are expecting casualties.”

“It's for a project.” Hongseok chimed in.

Hui narrowed his eyes, “Yeah you can save the lies. Sehyoon? Working on a project? Not in this lifetime.” he laughed, “Don't forget I’m not that much older than you and all of you have suspicion written all of over you're faces. But you know what? I'll choose to believe you this one time. Mostly because Hongseok is here and I know he wouldn't do anything reckless enough to get him into serious trouble.”

Hui straightened from his perch and pointed a finger at Soo Young, “Don’t forget, you owe me two cups of coffee now.”

“You want a box of donuts too?” Soo Young joked, cocking her head at him. He grinned before getting back in his cruiser and driving off. Soo Young bit her bottom lip but even then she couldn't stop her lips from forming a smile.

As a kid, she’d had the biggest crush on Hwi-taek. He’d been the groups obnoxious older brother, the one who always showed up to rat them out but also the one who always showed up to help when one of them was hurt. It seemed to her that he still had a certain charm about him. He always knew exactly what to say, and that smile...

Soo Young watched as the cruiser disappeared around the corner, and once it was out of sight the guys exhaled in unison.

“Woah, I thought we were done for sure,” Jinho breathed.

“Come on, let’s get going before he comes back,” Sehyoon muttered.

They followed the back roads out of the town until they found themselves standing at the edge of the familiar woods. Soo Young gave her metal bat a few practice swings.

“Alright, I'm ready if you are,” She said

Please log in to read the full chapter